Apple rolls out Mac OS X Lion, Snow Leopard updates

1356

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 104
    I just installed the 10.7.3 update on my Mac Pro.

    My computer restarted but I got major problems. Any program I try to start quits immediately and I keep getting a strange window that states that window restarting failed.

    Any ideas?

    John
  • Reply 42 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balldome View Post


    Should I install the airport update first?



    All is good for me I just love apple it just works.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,450member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post


    The only issue I have with Lion is Safari crashing and taking down the whole system with it. I downloaded and installed, now to find out if Safari was fixed or not?



    When you say, take down the whole system, what do you mean? I've never seen a system crash since OS 9! I've seen the Finder crash a few times . I've seen a few kernel panics in the early days of OS X and that's about it. Just curious if you mean a literal crash?
  • Reply 44 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balldome View Post


    All is good for me I just love apple it just works.



    Every single person I know who has installed has had zero problems.



    Apple stuff always just works.
  • Reply 45 of 104
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,331member
    I don't understand all the issues people are having. I updated without a hitch- like every single OSX update I've ever done.
  • Reply 46 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


    I don't understand all the issues people are having. I updated without a hitch- like every single OSX update I've ever done.



    same here, no problems at all…
  • Reply 47 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    Every single person I know who has installed has had zero problems.



    Apple stuff always just works.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


    I don't understand all the issues people are having. I updated without a hitch- like every single OSX update I've ever done.



    Not always. While it's rarer than issues with other major OSes because Apple designs the HW for it there are still plenty of chances for things to go wrong. Even if you have hundreds getting install issues the percentage could still be less than 0.001%.



    Those that are having an issue may have had there file system out of whack before installing the update. I always check it first just to be sure. A couple times I've needed to reinstall OS because it's failed the check. That's just one potential issue that could make an update go awry.
  • Reply 48 of 104
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    When you say, take down the whole system, what do you mean? I've never seen a system crash since OS 9! I've seen the Finder crash a few times . I've seen a few kernel panics in the early days of OS X and that's about it. Just curious if you mean a literal crash?



    The whole system locks up, I can't do anything, sometimes it is a spinning beach ball sometimes it isn't, sometimes Alt+Cmd+Esc work, most of the time it doesn't and I find myself forced to shut it down and turn it back on. I used Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard before and I never experienced this before Lion, and it is only because of Safari, it was most frequent initially but after 10.7.2 it became less often. I could use another browser and I do have Firefox, Chrome and Opera installed but I prefer Safari and choose to use it despite the fact. I hope this fixes it, because other than this I totally adore Lion.
  • Reply 49 of 104
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post


    The whole system locks up, I can't do anything, sometimes it is a spinning beach ball sometimes it isn't, sometimes Alt+Cmd+Esc work, most of the time it doesn't and I find myself forced to shut it down and turn it back on. I used Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard before and I never experienced this before Lion, and it is only because of Safari, it was most frequent initially but after 10.7.2 it became less often. I could use another browser and I do have Firefox, Chrome and Opera installed but I prefer Safari and choose to use it despite the fact. I hope this fixes it, because other than this I totally adore Lion.



    Failed. It suppose to just work
  • Reply 50 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post


    same here, no problems at all?



    ditto
  • Reply 51 of 104
    Quote:

    Resolve a Wi-Fi connection issue when waking from sleep



    I have had consistent problems with this. My standard solution has been booting into Win 7 when I can't get OSX to work (even after a complete shutdown, on a couple occasions,) and that has been effective, but obviously less than ideal.



    Glad this has been addressed.
  • Reply 52 of 104
    technotechno Posts: 733member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    I wish this would die



    wow. don't snap at him like that.
  • Reply 53 of 104
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post


    Failed. It suppose to just work



    So far so good here. I haven't checked everything though.



    One weird thing, the update set my two side monitors to 1080i instead of 1080p. They were both shaking after the update. Luckily, or smartly, I checked them under "displays" before going too crazy. (i did turn one off then on again first).



    Anyone who has this issue, don't panic. Just set them back to 1080p. All is good!
  • Reply 54 of 104
    My 10.7.3 update on my 2008 MBA Rev A 10.7.3 was unbelievably big. And it was a single update. The update weighed-in a 1.2gb - the largest I've ever seen for a Mac OS X update on my trusty MBA. I haven't had time to play around with it yet, but the system seemed more responsive, even Safari. Here's hoping that the heat issues have been resolved as well. I've been considering downgrading to Snow Leopard again because I couldn't even watch 10 mins of YouTube videos in flash before the system overheated and crashed. And HTML5 videos took way too long to stream, hope that's been fixed as well.
  • Reply 55 of 104
    I did also notice that Time Machine also has to back up the entire system all over again. A 1hour backup so far on USB 2.0.



    I need to pick up a Thunderbolt drive...
  • Reply 56 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Both my MBPs, an i7 an i5 updated Lion flawlessly via software update. I am on FiOS 25/25 in SW Florida.



    I swear Safari is snappier!



    Snappier isn't the word for it. Safari loads in ~1 second now.



    Downloaded in about 4 minutes, installed in about 15. So far so good. It just works!
  • Reply 57 of 104
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Lots of people on apple support discussing what's happened to me.



    Updated my 2010 MacBook air running 10.7.2. Upon reboot, everything looks ok. I can log in, but then every program crashes and CUI is displayed where any graphic would be such as any button, scroll bars etc.



    My machine is a total and complete vegetable. On the support thread, it's reported that installing the combo update does not have a problem and installs fine.



    At this time, it's not worth the risk. I'd strongly suggest to avoid updating at this time until the dust settles. This is not a minor problem.



    I'm having to post this form my iPad.



    Here's the URL for the apple support discussion, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3703113?tstart=0
  • Reply 58 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post


    Lots of people on apple support discussing what's happened to me.



    Updated my 2010 MacBook air running 10.7.2. Upon reboot, everything looks ok. I can log in, but then every program crashes and CUI is displayed where any graphic would be such as any button, scroll bars etc.



    My machine is a total and complete vegetable. On the support thread, it's reported that installing the combo update does not have a problem and installs fine.



    At this time, it's not worth the risk. I'd strongly suggest to avoid updating at this time until the dust settles. This is not a minor problem.



    I'm having to post this form my iPad.



    Being a major issue with your machine doesn't mean it's a major issue with the update. There are a trillion reasons why your update failed.



    What do you have to lose by installing the Combo Update? You system is already hosed so might as well try to correct the problem instead of preaching the sky is falling. If you can't get to the Combo Update you can just boot into the Recovery HD and then reinstall the OS over itself... then do the update.
  • Reply 59 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post


    Do not install this update!!!!!



    Works fine.



    Quote:

    At this time, it's not worth the risk. I'd strongly suggest to avoid updating at this time until the dust settles. This is not a minor problem.



    Sure it is. It's a problem that deserves a response appropriate to the magnitude of its damage. Not this FUD.
  • Reply 60 of 104
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I had major issues with this.



    I attempted to download the update, but was having connection reliability issues. I discovered there was a driver update for my router but once I downloaded that my whole system started crashing and freezing.



    I uninstalled all my drivers and began reinstalling them one by one until I verified that the driver for my graphics card was the wrong one.



    I borrowed a friends computer and, after spending a couple of hours trying to work out which one of the thirty graphics card drivers that were available was the correct one for me, downloaded it, transferred it, installed it, then re-installed all my other drivers again. I then proceeded to download the original update again.



    Unfortunately, the download got to 97% then disconnected.



    I started all over again and, after getting only two blue screens of death, appear to have successfully got this installed.



    However, I'm probably going to have to upgrade my CPU, motherboard, and possibly the just sorted graphics card to get it all running a bit more smoothly. These updates can be time consuming and expensive!



    Oh, wait a minute.



    None of that happened at all.



    That was my old WINDOWS system.



    With my Apple, it all just worked.
Sign In or Register to comment.