Apple rolls out Mac OS X Lion, Snow Leopard updates

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    As a minor update on my Wifi issues after waking from sleep, it does appear that the issue is resolved, based on three anecdotal trials.

I had no problems (like most others had not, it appears) downloading/installing the update. I even put my MBA in standby half way through the download and finished it at home because the coffee shop I was at quite rudely closed at 6pm, without even asking if it was ok. Sheesh!

Download picked up where it had left off and installed seamlessly.
  • Reply 62 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I had major issues with this.

I attempted to download the update, but was having connection reliability issues. I discovered there was a driver update for my router but once I downloaded that my whole system started crashing and freezing.

I uninstalled all my drivers and began reinstalling them one by one until I verified that the driver for my graphics card was the wrong one.

I borrowed a friends computer and, after spending a couple of hours trying to work out which one of the thirty graphics card drivers that were available was the correct one for me, downloaded it, transferred it, installed it, then re-installed all my other drivers again. I then proceeded to download the original update again.

Unfortunately, the download got to 97% then disconnected.

I started all over again and, after getting only two blue screens of death, appear to have successfully got this installed.

However, I'm probably going to have to upgrade my CPU, motherboard, and possibly the just sorted graphics card to get it all running a bit more smoothly. These updates can be time consuming and expensive!

Oh, wait a minute.

None of that happened at all.

That was my old WINDOWS system.

With my Apple, it all just worked.

You actually had me going. I was thinking, "Sounds more like a PC to me", the whole time. I thought you were an apple hater/plant. Don't get me wrong, I've been reading all sorts of problems people are having that just don't make any sense on other sites, including Apples' site. Before I would not have believed any of them, but my last computer worked fine until a SL update about a year ago that made iTunes stutter. It didn't effect any work or anything else, but it made me very angry. I bought a new Mac, which doesn't have the problem. Now after Lion, the old one doesn't have that problem anymore either.

You got me though!
  • Reply 63 of 104
    After using Software Upgrade to 10.7.3, I,and some others, experience all Buttons have "CUI CUI CUI ???" and almost all applications (including Finder and Safari) immediately crash resulting in an unusable system.

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0 for a discussion.

I, and others, have resolved this by restoring to 10.7.2 with Time Machine and manually downloading the 10.7.3 Combo Fix .dgm file and manually installing the update.

The above Apple Discussion thread has details.

I do not know how pervasive this issue is.
  • Reply 64 of 104
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Works fine.

Sure it is. It's a problem that deserves a response appropriate to the magnitude of its damage. Not this FUD.

It is very sad to see people like this who blindly follow whatever it is and can't believe whatever they worship can make mistakes. I see it with Apple/iphone fans, Android fans, and especially politics. Its a shame wherever it occurs. Its best to be aware of reality and not purposely be blind to anything.

10.7.3 is causing serious problems for a significant number of users. The thread I posted on Apple support has 2400 page views within 6 hours of the release of 10.7.3. Recognize people who have this problem have lost the ability to post on forums such as this unless they have another system.

Declaring a problem report and thread with 2400 page views as FUD is in itself not useful.
  • Reply 65 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

It is very sad to see people like this who blindly follow whatever it is and can't believe whatever they worship can make mistakes. I see it with Apple/iphone fans, Android fans, and especially politics. Its a shame wherever it occurs. Its best to be aware of reality and not purposely be blind to anything.

10.7.3 is causing serious problems for a significant number of users. The thread I posted on Apple support has 2400 page views within 6 hours of the release of 10.7.3. Recognize people who have this problem have lost the ability to post on forums such as this unless they have another system.

Declaring a problem report and thread with 2400 page views as FUD is in itself not useful.

Implying it's a major issue for everyone because you have the problem certainly sounds a bit FUDdy to me. You didn't state that people should be cautious, should verify their file system in intact with Disk Utility, and/or use the Combo Updater to install the update, instead you told everyone to stay far away from this update.
  • Reply 66 of 104
    Suggestions that have worked for the 10.7.3 CUI problem include:

All fixes involve downloading the 10.7.3 combo update from Apple and installing that over the failed 10.7.3 update.

1. If firewire is available, boot another Lion machine, connect to failing machine via target disk mode, run combo installer pointing to failing machine disk drive.

2. If you have an external disk drive, install Lion on it, download combo installer, run combo installer pointing to failing machine disk drive.

3. Same if you have Lion on USB stick.

4. If no firewire, no external drive, no USB installation, least destroying seems to be to use recovery mode (boot with Command-R), then reinstall Lion. This may install 10.7.3 directly. If not, can download the combo installer and update.

5. Last resort which many people are doing is to restore from a Time Machine backup if available. Can decide to update or not. If updating to 10.7.3 download and run the combo installer.
  • Reply 67 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Implying it's a major issue for everyone because you have the problem certainly sounds a bit FUDdy to me. You didn't state that people should be cautious, should verify their file system in intact with Disk Utility, and/or use the Combo Updater to install the update, instead you told everyone to stay far away from this update.

I didn't say its a major issue for everyone. I said "lots of people" and pointed to a busy thread.

I have no idea if file system check with Disk utility has anything to do with it. Seems like a random comment.

I wish I had been advised to stay away from this update. I certainly didn't expect to be machine-less this evening. I had work to do.

Is the criticism that I should have not posted at all and let folks run into a very serious problem themselves with no warning? Seems more prudent to warn than to make believe a problem doesn't exist. I'm not forcing anyone to install or not, they can choose to ignore and update at their own peril. So far, there's no indication what triggers the problem other than it occurring from the regular software update path and not the combo installer. Before running into this thread, (after my machine was non-functional) I hadn't heard of anyone that was able to successfully install 10.7.3 from software update.
  • Reply 68 of 104
    Quote:

I didn't say its a major issue for everyone. I said "lots of people" and pointed to a busy thread.

I have no idea if file system check with Disk utility has anything to do with it. Seems like a random comment.

I wish I had been advised to stay away from this update. I certainly didn't expect to be machine-less this evening. I had work to do.

Is the criticism that I should have not posted at all and let folks run into a very serious problem themselves with no warning? Seems more prudent to warn than to make believe a problem doesn't exist. I'm not forcing anyone to install or not, they can choose to ignore and update at their own peril. So far, there's no indication what triggers the problem other than it occurring from the regular software update path and not the combo installer. Before running into this thread, (after my machine was non-functional) I hadn't heard of anyone that was able to successfully install 10.7.3 from software update.

Thanks for the warning!

Some people get crazy about their allegiances to corporations... it is both funny and disgusting at the same time.
  • Reply 69 of 104
    I had to disable Herald then unistall it as it was not compatible with this new update, bloody great!
  • Reply 70 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgkalie View Post

My 10.7.3 update on my 2008 MBA Rev A 10.7.3 was unbelievably big. And it was a single update. The update weighed-in a 1.2gb - the largest I've ever seen for a Mac OS X update on my trusty MBA. I haven't had time to play around with it yet, but the system seemed more responsive, even Safari. Here's hoping that the heat issues have been resolved as well. I've been considering downgrading to Snow Leopard again because I couldn't even watch 10 mins of YouTube videos in flash before the system overheated and crashed. And HTML5 videos took way too long to stream, hope that's been fixed as well.

I'm also hoping for an improvement on the battery life as well (Macbook 5,1). At the moment it isn't much better than my cheap Toshiba laptop.
  • Reply 71 of 104
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Both my MBPs, an i7 an i5 updated Lion flawlessly via software update. I am on FiOS 25/25 in SW Florida.

I swear Safari is snappier!

Me too. In fact, everything seems snappier on the MBAir: iPhoto with 15,000 shots in the library opens in 3 secs from the cold, as does Aperture, and iTunes, and a ChemBioOffice Ultra file opens after loading Win 7 in VMWare in just 25 seconds from the cold.

Be aware: post-update, DiskUtility did a dozen or so permissions corrections on my machine (usually there's none).
  • Reply 72 of 104
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

The last time an Apple update messed up my Mac was the infamous System 7.5.3.

I've installed 10.7.3 via software update and so far it seems to be running fine for me, and for most other posters.

You've been consistent in your posts with Apple bashing.

I'm sorry that your system not working.

Spare us the fanboy insults when the majority report no problems with their systems.
  • Reply 73 of 104
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Looks like the Apple servers have caught up with demand for this update. Downloaded in under a minute this a.m. But the actual install took a long time, at least 15 minutes, on my three-year-old MBP. OTOH, it only took about five minutes to install on a fairly new Mac mini.

No problems noted on either machine.

Now on to two more installs...spouse's and son's MBPs.
  • Reply 74 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

Looks like the Apple servers have caught up with demand for this update. Downloaded in under a minute this a.m. But the actual install took a long time, at least 15 minutes, on my three-year-old MBP. OTOH, it only took about five minutes to install on a fairly new Mac mini.

No problems noted on either machine.

Now on to two more installs...spouse's and son's MBPs.

It's too bad the AirPort routers don't have a certain amount local storage with knowledge of your LAN's Macs so that when you go to grab the update it can temporality store the Combo Update for all machines.
  • Reply 75 of 104
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The resolution independence (or rather HiDPI support) is finally finished in this release (well at least I can't find any glitches). Retina Mac come soon me thinks.
  • Reply 76 of 104
    had no problems installing on my iMac or my Mac Book Air .... it took forever to download ... but no problems installing it
  • Reply 77 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's too bad the AirPort routers don't have a certain amount local storage with knowledge of your LAN's Macs so that when you go to grab the update it can temporality store the Combo Update for all machines.

i was thinking the exact same thing when i have to download the update few times for my office PCs… or shall i say Macs?

)
  • Reply 78 of 104
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thecynicwithin View Post

The support page for the Snow Leopard update (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1489) links to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222 for more information, but that page hasn't been updated in months. This has happened for all updates in recent memory.

I guess it shouldn't make any difference; regardless of what Apple tells us an update does, whether it addresses an issue we're having or not, they insist there are all kinds of unlisted changes and we would be stupid not to trust them, even if we've been burned by updates in the past. All it does is make me more mistrustful. They need to stop treating customers as afterthoughts.

It seems like your caution is prudent in this case for the Snow Leopard Security update. Several reports on macintouch and macworld about the update breaking all Rosetta applications. Hmm...an oversight on Apple's part in not testing the update against Rosetta, or deliberate choice to just not bother with it?
  • Reply 79 of 104
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Surfer Rosa View Post

I'm also hoping for an improvement on the battery life as well (Macbook 5,1). At the moment it isn't much better than my cheap Toshiba laptop.

I had that problem with my 5,1 last year. Does System Profiler indicate that the battery is bad? They replaced mine free of charge at the local Apple store, even though batteries are not apparently covered by AppleCare.

The 10.7.3 update was smooth. No problems.
  • Reply 80 of 104
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    2 2010 iMacs

1 2011 Mac Mini

1 2011 MacBook Air

All done through software update. Perfect and easy.