Samsung Galaxy Note Super Bowl ad takes more jabs at Apple users

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015

Samsung's Galaxy Note mobile device was the star of the company's first costly NFL Super Bowl commercial on Sunday, putting a bow on the somewhat controversial "The Next Big Thing is Already Here" media campaign that has been defined by its abject portrayal of Apple customers.

The 90-second Super Bowl XLVI spot, which was set to British glam rock revival band The Darkness' 2003 hit "I Believe in a Thing Called Love," was aired during the fourth quarter as expected, and depicted Apple users happily converting to the new Samsung product.

According to financial blog 24/7 Wall St.'s estimates, the ad cost the South Korean electronic's maker's phone division $10.5 million in air time alone, and included cameos from The Darkness lead singer Justin Hawkins and Chicago Bears' standout linebacker Brian Urlacher.

The ad begins as usual with customers waiting in line for what is presumably the launch of a new iDevice, who make a few quips about how long they have been waiting, when one of them spots a Galaxy Note user and asks, "what is that?!" From there, things take a turn for the absurd, and soon everyone is using the Galaxy Note to make movies, take pictures and even grab the odd autograph from Urlacher.

Also making an appearance is the "barista" character from previous ads in the campaign, who makes the rather droll remark, "well that was over the top," at the commercial's close.

Samsung's Galaxy Note is a larger-than-a-phone, smaller-than-a-tablet mobile device that sports a 5.3-inch, 1280x800 pixel screen, a 1.5 GHz dual core processor, 16 GB of internal memory, an SD card reader and 4G connectivity.

Setting itself apart from Apple's handset and tablet offerings, the Note utilizes a stylus as a main form of input, supplementing the finger-based scheme made popular by the original iPhone. In today's commercial, the capacitive "pen" is quite heavily referenced and is a throwback to when touch resistive screen technology ruled the PDA market.

AT&T is scheduled to start Galaxy Note sales on Feb. 19. | Source: AT&T

AT&T is slated to begin sales of the Note on Feb. 19, and will be offering the Android device for $299 on a two-year contract.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 349
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator

Samsung's Galaxy Note mobile device was the star of the company's first costly NFL Super Bowl commercial on Sunday, putting a bow on a somewhat controversial media campaign that has been defined by its abject portrayal of Apple customers.

The 90-second Super Bowl XLVI spot, that was set to British glam rock revival band The Darkness' 2003 hit "I Believe in a Thing Called Love," showed up during the fourth quarter as previously reported and depicted Apple iPhone users converting to the new Samsung product.

According to financial blog 24/7 Wall St.'s estimates, the ad cost the South Korean electronic's maker's phone division an estimated $10.5 million in air time alone, and included cameos from The Darkness lead singer Justin Hawkins and Chicago Bears' standout linebacker Brian Urlacher.

The ad begins as usual with customers waiting in line for what is presumably the launch of a new iDevice, this time throwing in some football references, when one of them spots a Galaxy Note user and says, "what is that?!" From there, things take a turn for the absurd, and soon everyone is shown using the Galaxy Note to make movies, take pictures and even grab the odd autograph from Urlacher. The "barista" character from previous Samsung ads in the campaign makes a return, quipping about the commercial, "well that was over the top."

Samsung's Galaxy Note is a large-screen mobile device that sits somewhere between smartphone and tablet, and sets itself apart by including a stylus as in input option. In the commercial, the capacitive "pen" is quite heavily referenced and can be considered a throwback to when touch resistive screen technology ruled the PDA market.

AT&T is slated to begin sales of the Note on Feb. 19, and will be offering the 4G LTE-enabled Android for $299 on a two-year contract.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

• Reply 2 of 349
    Should be "portrays Apple fanatics" to be more accurate...most Apple customers aren't line waiters.

All in all I hope this is the end of these commercials...the first was good, this one was good, but the middle commercials were meh, or straight up stupid.
  • Reply 3 of 349
    This just goes to show how desperate Sammy is. I don't even give them the time of day! Pathetic.
  • Reply 4 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Should be "portrays Apple fanatics" to be more accurate...most Apple customers aren't line waiters.

All in all I hope this is the end of these commercials...the first was good, this one was good, but the middle commercials were meh, or straight up stupid.

that ad wasn't direct at anyone that loves and admires their apple products.

it was direct at apple haters and android lovers (the same group, people like you), so they can live in the illusion that we (the ones that freely CHOOSED apple) are some sort of inferior beings.

it's a pity actually... one must be really dumb to believe that we are not free and we are have no knowledge. well, they even come at apple sites (people like you), trying to bash apple, always defending those companies that compete with apple.

truth is, it's everything about apple now. google and microsoft don't matter, samsung does not matter, the same with nokia, etc..

it's all about apple. either you love their products or you hate them. they rule the tech industry. people like you just prove my point.
  • Reply 5 of 349
    i watched the game and looking forward to the commercials. but when this came on, I tuned out when the guy caught the guitar. I thought it was a commercial for Guitar Center or something, and not till I saw this article, did I find out it was for Samsung. Very lame ad.
  • Reply 6 of 349
    Looked kind of desperate to me.
  • Reply 7 of 349
    Whoops. Something strange happened here. It overwrote my original comment...

Anyway, the best line in the thing was, "Whoa, it has a pen?"

Steve Jobs was right. "Who wants a stylus?" No one. People want pens.
  • Reply 8 of 349
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    "well, that was over the top. meh. "
  • Reply 9 of 349
    It has a pen!? Hmmm, think I'll wait for the upgrade that comes with a sheet of paper.
  • Reply 10 of 349
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whoops. Something strange happened here. It overwrote my original comment...

Anyway, the best line in the thing was, "Whoa, it has a pen?"

Steve Jobs was right. "Who wants a stylus?" No one. People want pens.

Maybe Samsung's hedging on all those customers feeling disenfranchised by the demise of the Treo?
  • Reply 11 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Maybe Samsung's hedging on all those customers feeling disenfranchised by the demise of the Treo?

The next step for them is to copy Apple's voice recognition... by basing it on the handwriting wreckognition of the Newton family.
  • Reply 12 of 349
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    If the product is as well-crafted as the commercial, no one will be waiting in line for that POSS. (piece of samsung sh!t).

What did hiring a Farrelly get Samsung... besides an expensive mess?
  • Reply 13 of 349
    They're right about one thing in that commercial: "The Next Big Thing is Already Here." That thing is frigging huge.
  • Reply 14 of 349
    Seriously a stylus? That's exactly what we need, because using our fingers as a stylus has been a failure lol
  • Reply 15 of 349
    Wow cool - a stylus - that's like so ten years ago.

You know what I loved about a stylus - losing them! Oh how I laughed........
  • Reply 16 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

Wow cool - a stylus - that's like so ten years ago.

You know what I loved about a stylus - losing them! Oh how I laughed........

seriously, i don't understand some of you.

if the software and the stylus are well buit, with a very nice not the application that could understand when we are trying to draw figures, referentials, etc, very good for notes during classes... wouldn't it be great? all of your class appointments in one device. perfect for school.

for writting a great stylus with great hardware and software would be pretty good. fingers aren't as good, that's why we use pencils and pens. what am i missing?
  • Reply 17 of 349
    [racist comment removed]
  • Reply 18 of 349
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    As someone who owns an iPhone 4S but doesn't harbor the late Steve Jobs' ill will toward Android (I bought a Nexus One in January 2010 and still have it), the Samsung ad fell flat to me. A stylus isn't that attractive. Plus, you don't tend to get new customers by insulting the very people you seek to attract.

I've heard comparisons to the Mac vs. PC commercials, but I disagree. The Mac vs. PC ads were comparing the two PRODUCTS, not customers. It was telling Windows CUSTOMERS that it was OK to like the Mac. The Samsung ads are essentially telling Apple customers that they are idiots, which doesn't tend to endear them to people. Rightly or wrongly, most people don't like being told they are fanboys or idiots.
  • Reply 19 of 349
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Stupid commercial. Typical of desperate Samsung.
  • Reply 20 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

racist comment removed

Wow. That's extreme.