Apple said to hold 'iPad 3' event first week in March

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I'm hoping they abandon the number thing for both iPhone and iPad once 4G LTE gets in both. Kinda like they do with the Macs, they have a version number that's not printed on the outside and people refer to them based on the release year.

Imagine how many arguments about a GD number that we wouldn't ever see on AI!

posted from my MacBookPro8,3

You really don't think the naming arguments would stop at that point, do you?!

"The iPhone Jetstream." "Oh bullshit, it'll be the iPhone Ticonderoga!" "Like hell, it'll be the iPhone LuluBelle!"
  • Reply 22 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What became of the 'Strange or Unusual' event in February? Was it the Paul McCartney Live Stream maybe, something I missed or or just a false rumor?

Some day you will come to the understanding that 95+% of the Apple rumors published on tech gossip sites are false.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    I will be flowing my iPad 64gb 3G down to family, I would have sold it but I dropped it and its now dented, didn't effect anything but I am sure that would effect resale.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You really don't think the naming arguments would stop at that point, do you?!

"The iPhone Jetstream." "Oh bullshit, it'll be the iPhone Ticonderoga!" "Like hell, it'll be the iPhone LuluBelle!"

If it's a choice between a number and a stupid marketing name, I'll take the number and even tolerate the banter. I'd hate to see iPhone Photon, Quark, Supernova. Ugh!
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

are iPads normally available for orders online? why would people fall in line for hours if they could buy it online?

To get it in their sausage-like fingers the same day.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Some day you will come to the understanding that 95+% of the Apple rumors published on tech gossip sites are false.

Wow, thanks for the put down So you know it definitely wasn't related to the Paul McCartney live stream? I ask as you are obviously so much more experienced at knowing these things than me.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually, that's:

iPad XIII

Apple marketing will be afraid of the repercussions from writing "13".

Good point. Maybe they'd call it iPad 12.5?
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Bring it on Apple! Sold my iPad 2 on eBay last weekend. I've been waiting for this...yeah!

If you can go for weeks without an iPad then you aren't using it right. \
  • Reply 29 of 83
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

are iPads normally available for orders online? why would people fall in line for hours if they could buy it online?

Instant gratification. If they order online they might be lucky enough to get into the group that could perhaps be received on release day, or not. Plus not everyone, especially in larger cities, lives in a building that is secure enough for such deliveries. I know I'm not. I live in an apartment in Hollywood with young kids that would pick up anything left at the door out of curiosity, punk alleged drug dealers would swipe anything they think they can sell and so on. I have to be certain I will be at home when anything is delivered. My manager is never there and he is the most untrustworthy of them all so I can't have it left with him.

so yeah if i want something like this I have to go stand in line. But I'll likely be working so i'll wait a couple of weeks for the fever to die down and get it then. With luck they will be doing reservations so I'll know that I have one. Or by then they will allow you to order online and pick up at the store. So then again, I know it is a done deal.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Watch sales explode on the iPad 2 when keep it in the line-up and drop the price. EXPLODE

you mean IF they keep it. There's no promise they will. Or that it will be all of them or just the 16 GB wifi only a kin to the whole 3gs iPhone trick
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What became of the 'Strange or Unusual' event in February? Was it the Paul McCartney Live Stream maybe, something I missed or or just a false rumor?

We will never know what they were thinking but yes it is possible that this live stream is what they got wind of but the details were so scant that they didn't know they nature of the 'event'
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I'm hoping they abandon the number thing for both iPhone and iPad once 4G LTE gets in both. Kinda like they do with the Macs, they have a version number that's not printed on the outside and people refer to them based on the release year.

i agree. that has a nice logic to it and calling it the iPhone 2012 avoids arguments like 'it can't be the iPhone 5 it is the 6th one' blah blah

I just thought of something that could be a bit of confirmation of these dates. The employee discount. Remember that stuff that leaked out about employees being able to get a $250 discount on top of their regular one on an iPad starting in June. Last year due to the supply issues employees didn't get any discounts for like 3 months. I would imagine that Apple is planning on the same high demand and the same restriction so release in March, employee discount starts in June is on par with the previous and could have been planned the way it was for that. Telling the employees now would mean they would be less likely to just go ahead and buy it full price, which means more for the regular customers (which is why they held back on discounts last year)
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Or he has a computer. It could be MONTHS, you know.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

you mean IF they keep it. There's no promise they will.

Surely some will point out this works for the iPhone but the subsidization model allow for that option due to the carrier paying the bulk of the cost.

I think we should consider the Retina Display could be more costly and/or be very limited in supply that Apple will charge more for these devices than the 1024x768 displays, thus creating two iPads for 2012. An iPad 2S that has increased performance but with the current display, and an iPad 3 with the Retina Display. One strategy could be to only to include the display in iPads with 3G or with the higher end capacity to help hide the costs and lower the number of potential buyers do to the aforementioned scenario of supply constraints.

We also need to consider some negative effects on other areas due to the number of pixels needing to be rendered. Things like GPU performance, battery life, thickness and weight. That's not to say any of that will be an issue for Apple, just things I'm considering.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think we should consider the Retina Display could be more costly and/or be very limited in supply that Apple will charge more for these devices than the 1024x768 displays, thus creating two iPads for 2012.

I think last October showed us just how silly that idea is. The retina iPad 3 will be the same price as current iPads. The iPad 2 16GB drops to $399 and Apple makes a killing on that, making up for whatever potential 4% margin drop they might incur by the added expense of the retina displays.

Quote:

Things like GPU performance, battery life, thickness and weight. That's not to say any of that will be an issue for Apple, just things I'm considering.

The battery is what I'm most worried about. And not just because of the display; because people are demanding LTE in the cellular model. I'm sure that if it's included, iFixit will tear it down and find a second-gen LTE chip in there with a power draw less than half of the nonsense we have today, but still; it's worrisome.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    Mt wife can hardly wait! She actually wants me to get an iPad3. Then she gets my iPad2, all to herself.

Just looked at the stock price. Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

you mean IF they keep it. There's no promise they will. Or that it will be all of them or just the 16 GB wifi only a kin to the whole 3gs iPhone trick

They will do exactly that. They will capture price-conscious buyers with a low-priced alternative to...

The iPad HD.

Quad rez screen, natch.

Driven by an A6 Multi-Core procesor and

Maybe a PowerVR Series6 GPU?

The main camera will be the same 8 MP currently found on the iPhone, while the front facing one will be the best on the market. The cameras will need to be top-notch due to the high rez display.

Thunderbolt? Yes indeed.

LTE? Of Course. It is needed to power:

Siri II, better than ever, with some exclusive features.

Mapping will finally do away with Google. Apple's mapping investments will pay off with the best free mapping the world has ever seen. It will blow away anything/everything currently on the market, because it will use...

Augmented reality baked into the OS. Powered by Siri. Nobody will ever leave the house without taking their iPad, because the word will seem devoid of content without it.

Each of these is currently available and Apple is technologically able to give us each of this things. Right now. In the new iPad HD.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

They are hoping to be portrayed in a Samsung commercial.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think last October showed us just how silly that idea is. The retina iPad 3 will be the same price as current iPads. The iPad 2 16GB drops to $399 and Apple makes a killing on that, making up for whatever potential 4% margin drop they might incur by the added expense of the retina displays.

Three things that make the iPhone release un-relatable to the iPad:
    1) Remember that with different models come different dynamics. Apple only sells previous generation HW as current when it comes to the iPhone, nothing else.

2) We also have no idea how much this display, the GPU, battery size increase, production success, or anything else related to this display will cost Apple. This is very new territory and is very different from the iPhone going to a Retina Display since the iPhone 4 used the same processor and GPU in the iPad yet the iPhone 4/4S pushes less pixels than the iPad today.

3) There is no tablet competition for Apple! I think your idea that the current iPad could drop by $100 makes sense but it also makes sense that Apple doesn't have to with the state of the tablet industry. Amazon and B&N are no threat here with their glorified eBook readers with media capabilities.
    In the end this comes down to a handful of factors that we can only speculate on. After we see what Apple does then we'll be able to figure out a very likely scenario as to why they did what they did.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is correct. I can't imagine going without my iPad for one day.

If were going to be weeks I'd have to go to someplace like Samarkand to distract myself.