Apple said to hold 'iPad 3' event first week in March

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I wonder at what point it becomes just "game over" in the tablet space?

A retina display iPad is a huge differentiator from the already modestly selling Android tablets (and really has no bearing on the Kindle Fire, which really seems like a different market). Android tablets will get around to higher res screens after a while, but by then already skyrocketing iPad sales are likely to have become prohibitive.

I am also very, very intrigued by something Cook said during the last earnings call-- (paraphrasing) that the iPad could, or shortly would meet the needs of the laptop buyer. I don't think he would say that if it was just a matter of a more powerful device, or higher resolution. The shortcomings of an iPad compared to a laptop aren't really about horsepower, they're about the depth of available productivity applications, some file handling issues, and keyboards. Could the iPad 3 rollout include the next iteration of iOS? And perhaps a revamp of iWork for the iPad?

If Apple is serious about addressing these areas-- if they in fact intend the iPad to be a no compromises computing device for the 21st century, and not a companion or media consumption device-- then I can't even imagine how far they can take this thing.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I wonder at what point it becomes just "game over" in the tablet space?

A retina display iPad is a huge differentiator from the already modestly selling Android tablets (and really has no bearing on the Kindle Fire, which really seems like a different market). Android tablets will get around to higher res screens after a while, but by then already skyrocketing iPad sales are likely to have become prohibitive.

I am also very, very intrigued by something Cook said during the last earnings call-- (paraphrasing) that the iPad could, or shortly would meet the needs of the laptop buyer. I don't think he would say that if it was just a matter of a more powerful device, or higher resolution. The shortcomings of an iPad compared to a laptop aren't really about horsepower, they're about the depth of available productivity applications, some file handling issues, and keyboards.

If Apple is serious about addressing these areas-- if they in fact intend the iPad to be no compromises computing device for the 21st century, and not a companion or media consumption device-- then I can't even imagine how far they can take this thing.

I think that a Retina Display at the current price points would be a definite "game over" for the competition. Add to that a doubling of the storage capacity, too, and you're just rubbing in.

If you look at the iPhone's dominance despite the market players the iPhone 4 display had a long lead in the market. I think there are some true pixel count Android-based phones that are now over 300 PPI, but first we saw Super AMOLED with sub-pixel counting.

The iPad would take this to a whole 'nother level. I doubt we'd see any vendors being able to compete for a couple years since AMOLED tech doesn't seem feasible on a 10" tablet. They best they can offer is higher pixel density when comparing the iPad to their display that is less than 1/2 the display area.

By then it'll be the iPod market all over again and the iPad might possibly be the largest profit center at Apple.

I don't see how Windows 8 for tablets has any chance of making an impact. The best it will offer with its Metro UI is that some of the code used for their homegrown desktop Windows apps might end up being cheaper than creating an iPad app from scratch, but I think such an argument will be niche case.
  • Reply 63 of 83
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I am with you on a new ivy bridge MBP.....can't wait!

Yeah my wife is getting fed up w/her PC and may have decided she doesn't care to wait till Ivy Bridge gets here. She's talking going ahead and buying an MBA. She knows Apple holds value tho, so she may sell it later and buy a newer system. I've waited this long for Ivy Bridge, I can wait another 2 months. Already have to wait till then for a synth I pre-ordered too (Arturia Minibrute) heh
  • Reply 64 of 83
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

/......I don't see how Windows 8 for tablets has any chance of making an impact. The best it will offer with its Metro UI is that some of the code used for their homegrown desktop Windows apps might end up being cheaper than creating an iPad app from scratch, but I think such an argument will be niche case.

Perhaps Enterprise solutions for WIN8 will help them?

IMO enterprise adoption of Windows was a strong contributer to Mac sales reduction in the late 90's. If MS can get in there... there will once again be a question asked - why should I buy a ipad for home when I have a MS8 tablet at work? An more than likely they will just bring it home.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Perhaps Enterprise solutions for WIN8 will help them?

IMO enterprise adoption of Windows was a strong contributer to Mac sales reduction in the late 90's. If MS can get in there... there will once again be a question asked - why should I buy a ipad for home when I have a MS8 tablet at work? An more than likely they will just bring it home.

That might be their angle but that hasn't been the case with the iPhone or iPad at this point. A lot has changed since then. You can't build your own at a decent cost, and the internet and open web standards have made much of the selling points of Windows on CE a non-starter

RiM is in an even worse position if they think a new OS coming out in late 2012 will be effective. MS at least has a domination of Windows in the enterprise, Win7 as a good OS, a good though unpopular smartphone OS, and a lot money to through at R&D for a long time looking for an in. Even if RiM's new OS and HW is brilliant I don't think it's likely they'll make an impact.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    Quote:

I think that a Retina Display at the current price points would be a definite "game over" for the competition. Add to that a doubling of the storage capacity, too, and you're just rubbing in.

If you look at the iPhone's dominance despite the market players the iPhone 4 display had a long lead in the market. I think there are some true pixel count Android-based phones that are now over 300 PPI, but first we saw Super AMOLED with sub-pixel counting.

The iPad would take this to a whole 'nother level. I doubt we'd see any vendors being able to compete for a couple years since AMOLED tech doesn't seem feasible on a 10" tablet. They best they can offer is higher pixel density when comparing the iPad to their display that is less than 1/2 the display area.

By then it'll be the iPod market all over again and the iPad might possibly be the largest profit center at Apple.

I don't see how Windows 8 for tablets has any chance of making an impact. The best it will offer with its Metro UI is that some of the code used for their homegrown desktop Windows apps might end up being cheaper than creating an iPad app from scratch, but I think such an argument will be niche case.

If Apple does release a retina iPad I imagine Samsung will get right on that. Since they have their own display business, I would think they would be able to figure something out.

However, stuff like that doesn't happen overnight, and we're at a critical juncture for tablet uptake. Another few quarters with the kinds of iPad sales increase Apple has seen would start to move towards irrevocable lock-in. I would have expected Samsung to already be hard at work on high density 7" and 10" displays, but who knows? They might not model sufficient sales to make it worth the investment.

Plus, there's Apple's famous buying power. If they are doing retina, they've probably already bought up a significant percentage for the world's capacity to produce such displays for the foreseeable future. At the very least, they're going to leave the competition supply constrained and paying more for the same tech.

I have to say, though, that it must be kind of nerve-wracking to be Apple. The whole "retina display iPad" thing is just a simple extrapolation, based on nothing at all but guesses. Even if Apple wanted to do that, there could be technical reasons or manufacturing issues prohibiting the use of such displays at this time. But can you imagine the horror and rending of garments that would result if the iPad 3 has the same resolution, or a modestly enhanced resolution display?

Apple's never said a word about what they intend, yet we hold them to our desires of what we think they should be capable of as if it were a contract inked in blood.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I'm hoping they abandon the number thing for both iPhone and iPad once 4G LTE gets in both. Kinda like they do with the Macs, they have a version number that's not printed on the outside and people refer to them based on the release year.

I don't think iPhones have ever had a version number printed on the outside of the device. On the packaging yes but not on the device. iPads haven't either.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I'm hoping they abandon the number thing for both iPhone and iPad once 4G LTE gets in both.

What does LTE have to do with it?

They can't do this, anyway. You can't sell three years' worth of product simultaneously when they're each called "iPhone" or "iPad".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

I don't think iPhones have never had a version number printed on the outside of the device. On the packaging yes but not on the device. iPads haven't either.

This is correct.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Anyone check the Yerba Buena/Moscone center's March 2012 schedule yet?

... well, I just did.

Yerba Buena Center for the Arts?

I can't make out heads or tails outta that shite -- lotta "Alternative Performancing" it looks like.

But Moscone Center?

I looked at March 6th & 7th -- for the days, Tuesday/Wednesday, that there's usually an Apple Event -- and,

interestingly enough, the Game Developer's Conference '12 is going on! lol

Make of that what thou willeth ....
  • Reply 70 of 83
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I just want two things, a MiniSD slot and a real file manager with access to the entire system. It's my device I want full control andI don't want to use iTunes if I need to delete, create a folder or simply move data around. These are the only two features that I want/need before I buy a new iPad. Until then I am very happy with Android 4.0 on my new Asus tablet for work and my original iPad2 for play. If the Apple iPad never gets those things well then so be it, I don't need an all Apple computer setup anyway. My Macbook Air and iMac are plenty.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    I'm actually more excited about Windows 8 on ARM and what new tablets will come in the fall that will support it. A real OS finally on ARM, with support for 10 hours on a single charge, yummy. I hate Windows because of all the legacy bloat ware that has accumulated over the years but this is supposed to be a completely new rewrite, sweet.

I all ready know what the iPad OS is going to look like and frankly it's getting a little long in the tooth in regards to it's looks. The iPad doesn't need faster hardware it needs a better OS, more like OSX and less like the iPhone. I all ready have an iPhone I don't need a bigger version of it I can see just fine.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm actually more excited about Windows 8 on ARM and what new tablets will come in the fall that will support it. A real OS finally on ARM, with support for 10 hours on a single charge, yummy. I hate Windows because of all the legacy bloat ware that has accumulated over the years but this is supposed to be a completely new rewrite, sweet.

I all ready know what the iPad OS is going to look like and frankly it's getting a little long in the tooth in regards to it's looks. The iPad doesn't need faster hardware it needs a better OS, more like OSX and less like the iPhone. I all ready have an iPhone I don't need a bigger version of it I can see just fine.

And yet despite 2 decades of Windows on tablets it wasn't until 2010 that the tablet finally made an impact on the world despite being called a failure, stupid and all other sorts of pejorative terms for not following the failed business model.
  • Reply 73 of 83
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Look I don't want to argue because I know with 100 percent certainty that I still need Flash if I want to enjoy sreaming video or really great web apps like http://audiotool.com/app / ...and the only reason why Apple doesn't support it on iPad is because they want their users to purchase content from iTunes.

Look I don't want to argue because I know with 100 percent certainty that I still need Flash if I want to enjoy sreaming video or really great web apps like http://audiotool.com/app / ...and the only reason why Microsoft doesn't support it on Windows 8 on ARM is because they want their users to purchase content from Microsoft.

There you go! You can now use the same line in a few months time.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    Quote:

I just want two things, a MiniSD slot and a real file manager with access to the entire system. It's my device I want full control andI don't want to use iTunes if I need to delete, create a folder or simply move data around. These are the only two features that I want/need before I buy a new iPad. Until then I am very happy with Android 4.0 on my new Asus tablet for work and my original iPad2 for play. If the Apple iPad never gets those things well then so be it, I don't need an all Apple computer setup anyway. My Macbook Air and iMac are plenty.

Of course, what you're calling "full control" isn't that at all, it's just a set of legacy conventions and abstractions that define a certain period of computing. You're familiar with them, so it's easy to map onto certain mental constructs in such a way as to give the illusion that you have "full control", but that's all it is. You're moving around a set of symbols in a symbolic way such that you find it convenient to remember what you've done and where you've put things.

Apple is moving to a application centric rather than file centric model. It's no less "real" than what you're used to, it just uses a different style of abstractions and conventions.

I think that soon enough legacy "file management" will feel like using the command line, for most folks-- fine if you really need that kind of thing but insane if that were the only interface offered.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:

Well of course we'll have to wait and see exactly what MS delivers. It wouldn't be the first time they've oversold future products, and I'm very curious to see how they handle "touch friendly" non-Metro versions of Office. After all, this is the same MS that sold tablets for years with a "real OS" and Office, they just did a really horrible job of making everything finger friendly. Metro is finger friendly, but we still don't know how trying to have it both ways with a unified OS across platforms with some Metro and some not is actually going to work.

Is it just the ribbon that's supposed to make Office table ready? Is it sort of half and half? There are perfectly legitimate user experience reasons that Apple chose to make iOS a touch derivative of OS X, and it wasn't because they weren't ambitious enough. Everything that seems to strike you as limited about iOS derive from choices made bases on touch interactions.

Also, I was wondering if you could maybe explain something it is that you're doing that requires a "real OS" in the sense you mean, because I'm not quite sure what a "real OS" gets me outside of a talking point.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Also, I was wondering if you could maybe explain something it is that you're doing that requires a "real OS" in the sense you mean, because I'm not quite sure what a "real OS" gets me outside of a talking point.

Oh I use is it for programming. At work we have nothing but Unix terminals and Java programs. The Android 4 always me access to the terminal with all the familiar cli commands like, awk, mc, cp, ssh, rm, ftp and so on. I have access to Python, Ruby, Bash, CSH, Pearl and PHP. Plus Android 4 is basicly Java so it's very easy to export our current applications used on Unix to the tablet. The file manager is a must I just can't live with out. My file manger is able to login into multiple servers, tar, zip, gzip directories, backup, delete, move file, edit config files, ect. I can use my Asus Slider as a stand alone computer and I feel like I'm not missing anything or need something else.

Have you use Android 4, not 2, not 3 but 4? It really is now the best tablet OS on the market and now that Google Chrome is available, I am very happy. The iPad still has the better music creation apps so I won't be giving that up anytime soon but I kind of stopped packing my Macbook Air into my bag and use my Asus Slider instead.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Look I don't want to argue because I know with 100 percent certainty that I still need Flash if I want to enjoy sreaming video or really great web apps like http://audiotool.com/app / ...and the only reason why Microsoft doesn't support it on Windows 8 on ARM is because they want their users to purchase content from Microsoft.

There you go! You can now use the same line in a few months time.

Oh you missed the part where I said I already have a tablet that I can play all the codecs that are missing from the iPad and possibly Windows 8 to, my Asus Slider. However Im sure I'll still be able to play the hundreds of .flv files I've saved over the years on Windows 8, once VLC is released for it. Unlike Apple blocking every media player that plays more then what iTunes can play I'm sure Microsoft won't be so bad. My Nokia 800 with WIndows Mobile 7 can play Divx and FLV films on the native player.

I will always have a open system in my computer arsenal to counter act the Apples and Microsofts of the world. There is no reason not to support every free codec other then what the company want's you to have, just the codecs needed to play their DRM stuff. That's ok but then I'm still going to own a device that can play everything that I throw at it.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:

Oh you missed the part where I said I already have a tablet that I can play all the codecs that are missing from the iPad and possibly Windows 8 to, my Asus Slider. However Im sure I'll still be able to play the hundreds of .flv files I've saved over the years on Windows 8, once VLC is released for it. Unlike Apple blocking every media player that plays more then what iTunes can play I'm sure Microsoft won't be so bad. My Nokia 800 with WIndows Mobile 7 can play Divx and FLV films on the native player.

There have been media players in the App Store that play FLV, MKV, DivX, XviD, 3viX, AC3 and many other codecs for years now. Many now have AirPlay support, too.
  • Reply 79 of 83
    Quote:

There have been media players in the App Store that play FLV, MKV, DivX, XviD, 3viX, AC3 and many other codecs for years now. Many now have AirPlay support, too.

Oh really can you tell me a good one please.
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:

Oh really can you tell me a good one please.

I just bought and tried Cinexplayer and it couldn't play half the movies I have, plus it eats up battery like crazy. I just wish the default player can play everything I want like on my Asus. Push play it works, I can even stream those Divx movies directly to my tv because both devices support DLNA, now that is cool. It all works out of box.