Apple asks for US preliminary injunction of Samsung's Android 4.0 Galaxy Nexus

Comments

• Reply 81 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by topgun966 View Post

Apple did not come up with the touch screen smart phone. They took someone else's idea and improved it. Came up with better marketing which was better for everyone. Now they have this idea that they are the only ones that should have it now.

I would LOVE to see Apple to come out with something great and push innovation farther. That is win win for everyone. However the trend they are doing is looking like that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I hope for my stock sake, and my thirst for tech, they do.

Yeah. It was Apple's superior marketing that really pushed the iPhone. All those other awesome touch screen phones back in 2007 were just waiting for a good commercial to really take off.

And you're right about Apple's stock too. Your portfolio must have really been taking a beating in the last few years on that one. You better sell quick before it goes any lower.

Your two points here are enough to tell you're full of shit.
  • Reply 82 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orthorim View Post

That's the really weird part about this - can't Apple find anyone else to make these chips?

Sure there are water-tight legal agreements and contracts in place. But ... eventually... Samsung is going to strike back where it hurts.

You have to understand that the Samsung that makes the components is a far different part of the company that makes the phones, just like there are far different parts of Samsung that makes refrigerators. Each is a profit center, run by different management.

Think of it this way, RJR makes cigarettes and Kraft makes cheese. They are all part of one company, and yet totally separate accounting entities. If the federal government cracks down on RJR, you can bet that there will still be Kraft cheese available in the Senate dining room.
  • Reply 83 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

IGoogle has no history because Google has no history. As Google acquires more patents they will get offensive, especially if their patents are worth protecting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google has no history of using patents offensively in the first place, unlike Apple or MS, so I don't personally think they'd sue Apple first anyway. Perhaps that's why we haven't seen a direct suit against Google from one of those two.

To be clear I don't see any issue with striking the first blow as Apple has been doing, and think it's naive and starry-eyed for Google to think that they should be the "nice guy", different from Microsoft, Apple or any other big tech player.

At some point they'll strike back and then everyone will start the accusations of Google saying one thing about unfair patent practices but climbing right in with their own attacks.

Apparently you two haven't heard of Google's proxy (MotoMo) suing Apple in Germany for 2.25% of the retail price of an iPhone or iPad. Read up on it, it's all over the news.
  • Reply 84 of 448
    Quote:

Ok first of all it is no secret that I tend to lean more at Google. I personally own a Galaxy Nexus as my daily phone and a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for my tablet. But I also own a iPod touch 4g and own a decent amount of stock in Apple and Google.

I am also a real true to the core tech buff. I love technology in general. I want to see companies come out with new and great things. I would LOVE to see Apple go head to head with the best Google comes up with (Right now, ICS on the Nexus) and let the best phone win. The Nexus is NOTHING like any Apple product. It does not look like, feel like, nor work in anyway shape or form like iOS. There is no way you can confuse it. I want to see Apple do something new and different. However at this point, I think they are out of steam. Look at the launch of the past couple iOS's. Almost every feature has been a direct copy of its competitor. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that is a bad thing. You can take someone else's idea and improve on it. That is how we move ahead in the world. Apple did not come up with the touch screen smart phone. They took someone else's idea and improved it. Came up with better marketing which was better for everyone. Now they have this idea that they are the only ones that should have it now.

I would LOVE to see Apple to come out with something great and push innovation farther. That is win win for everyone. However the trend they are doing is looking like that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I hope for my stock sake, and my thirst for tech, they do.

As for the people here blindly saying go Apple without actually looking at both the merits of the case, as well as look at the competing phone, I would urge you to head to your local Verizon store and at least check it out. If you can honestly say it looks or acts anything like an iPhone from an objective point of view....then you win.

What part of the patents suggested that the nexus has to look or feel like the iphone in order to be infringing on 4 specific patents quoted in the article??

Plus anyone who suggests that Apple completely innovating and disrupting the heck out of the mobile phone market was down to good marketing presumably has a screw loose... Please!! I mean, sure they market well, but there are numerous examples in the last 10 years alone that show that marketing can't cover crap.... Seriously, I can't believe people still try and say that. You can't have sales that Apple has just becoz of marketing. Please be honest and admit that Apple's fine attention to every little detail and overall user experience is the real reason why the iphone dominates. Not to me now... later on in the mirror.

Saying that you "thirst for tech" and that you're a "real true to the core tech buff" too, suggests that you probably don't get Apple's core thoughts when it comes to their products.

And suggesting that Apple isn't going to innovate anytime soon??? Hahaha I can't do anything but laugh at that. There are indeed blind people here... but they're not the ones you think...
  • Reply 85 of 448
    In order:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by specter2009 View Post

Apple doesn't seem to know how to innovate anymore and has to sue it's competition because they are far more advanced than they are.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

Wow, the stunning intellect you've presented in your first ever post on AI leaves me wondering how this forum ever existed without you. May I please have a link to all your online social portholes so that I may follow you and gaze with amazement at your wisdom.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by specter2009 View Post

And you just proved to be a smug jackass

Sorry, but your first post deserved that and more...

If it wasn't so obvious trolling you might have had some elevated moral ground from which to make your second post but it was trolling so you didn't. Consequently it just looks weird for you to be upset at his reply....
  • Reply 86 of 448
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ratero View Post

A Foxconn factory worker has a better chance of getting paid $10 an hour or getting to take a vacation than Apple has at getting the Galaxy Nexus banned.

A Samsung factory worker has four times the chance of committing suicide than a Foxconn factory worker.

Based on South Korea having a 31.2 in 100,000 suicide rate the second highest on earth and Foxconn having a 7 in 100,000 rate.

So care to fill us in on conditions in the factory where the Nexus is made?

You seem to be the expert in your own living room.
  • Reply 87 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

An injunction against the Android 4.0 flagship would be a major blow to Google. I wonder when the vendors HTC and Samsung decide to call it quits and switch to another OS.

Doesn't look like Larry Page is a good chess player.

I think HTC are ready to make a switch anyway. Samsung have a lot more to lose on this.

I think Schmidt is the kind of guy who will tip up the chess board. Page only plays checkers
  • Reply 88 of 448
    Wow some of these replies are old.

Very intellectual and thought out I might add.

I will not dispute that Apple change the smartphone industry back in 2007. What they did was amazing. They created a wonderful product. So did Henry Ford back when he created the Model T.

My argument is what have they done lately? Seriously what great innovations have come out? Name me one thing in iOS 5 that was great (besides destroying my battery life in my iPod). I WANT them to innovate again. I WANT them to come up with something great. I am not looking to feed the trolls here but seriously, try to understand what I am saying. I am NOT ripping into Apple nor looking to start a pissing match. I am asking a legitimate question.

For those that asked what did the Nexus do? Well lets look at the Nexus line. (Starting with the Nexus S 4g, the previous model). They introduced NFC into the market. They introduced a true HD display. Android, introduced the notification system that has become the industry standard (now being used in iOS5). Android introduced front facing cameras (they did it before Apple did by 3 months). The list goes on and on.

Now in related to what this article is about the patents in question, they will be thrown out. All those patents where used in the industry before Apple filed for them. A first year law student can get that thrown out. All this is, is posturing for the public because Apple has been losing their cases left and right. The ones they are winning are very small and easy work a rounds.

The point is, what works best for everyone is TRUE competition. All this posturing and pissing matches is good for no one. If you are in the Apple camp, or Android camp, each one benefits from the other. I would say the same in a Android forum that is ripping into Apple. Respecting the competitor rather than trying to go "thermonuclear" on them is win win in the long run. If Apple was the only phone on the market, do you really think you would have something like Siri? Do you really think their would be a front facing camera? Or a drive to make things faster and smoother? What is the incentive into dumping millions into R&D when there is no one to beat? If that was the case, we would still be driving around Model T's to the store.

I just don't understand why people in both camps cannot see that. We are humans with the inherent design of freedom of choice. I do not look down for others to chose one product over another. What I will fight for is the ability to have a choice, and not be forced into one.
  • Reply 89 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A Samsung factory worker has four times the chance of committing suicide than a Foxconn factory worker.

Based on South Korea having a 31.2 in 100,000 suicide rate the second highest on earth and Foxconn having a 7 in 100,000 rate.

You know they are both made at Foxconn right??

Hell I believe that both camps both Apple and Android should at least band together in that aspect.
  • Reply 90 of 448
    mhdmhd Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Actually they're third behind Belgium and Lithuania, the chart in wiki is not updated.

And the rate in China is 22.2 in 100,000 so your comparison is a bit skewed.
  • Reply 91 of 448
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Apparently you two haven't heard of Google's proxy (MotoMo) suing Apple in Germany for 2.25% of the retail price of an iPhone or iPad. Read up on it, it's all over the news.

By the way, I'm sending in a contractor to change the color of your kitchen to pink and rip out that pantry wall while we wait to see if the bank approves the loan to buy your house as we agreed on. That's OK with you isn't it? Oh, I forgot to mention: I told your neighbor you're suing him about that tree in case he says anything. Kinda had to use your name since, you know. . you kinda still own the house
  • Reply 92 of 448
    Apple needs to sue Google directly and not to mention Andy Rubin personnaly for stealing their technology.

Motorola is crooked at its core for trying this crap. Fortunately it's a worthless dying company.

I hope Apple drills them new A-Holes before they die.
  • Reply 93 of 448
    Quote:

The Nexus is NOTHING like any Apple product. It does not look like, feel like, nor work in anyway shape or form like iOS.

You tap the power button to light up the screen, there's an image that you place your finger on and slide over a padlock to unlock the phone.

That's one of the patents under contention.

Then there's the other three involved in this suit.
  • Reply 94 of 448
    OMG. .

Just noticed Florian Mueller has a name for this set of four patents. . .

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

I had no idea he was a man of religion. Ya gotta love him
  • Reply 95 of 448
    Quote:

blah blah blah

So how's that Bluetooth 4.0 working out on the Nexus?

You picking up GLONASS to make the GPS more accurate?

How's that working for ya?

I guess you'll have to wait for the catch up unless you get an iPhone 4S

Nokia had NFC first.
  • Reply 96 of 448
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:

Very intellectual and thought out I might add.

I will not dispute that Apple change the smartphone industry back in 2007. What they did was amazing. They created a wonderful product. So did Henry Ford back when he created the Model T.

My argument is what have they done lately? Seriously what great innovations have come out? Name me one thing in iOS 5 that was great (besides destroying my battery life in my iPod). I WANT them to innovate again. I WANT them to come up with something great. I am not looking to feed the trolls here but seriously, try to understand what I am saying. I am NOT ripping into Apple nor looking to start a pissing match. I am asking a legitimate question.

For those that asked what did the Nexus do? Well lets look at the Nexus line. (Starting with the Nexus S 4g, the previous model). They introduced NFC into the market. They introduced a true HD display. Android, introduced the notification system that has become the industry standard (now being used in iOS5). Android introduced front facing cameras (they did it before Apple did by 3 months). The list goes on and on.

Now in related to what this article is about the patents in question, they will be thrown out. All those patents where used in the industry before Apple filed for them. A first year law student can get that thrown out. All this is, is posturing for the public because Apple has been losing their cases left and right. The ones they are winning are very small and easy work a rounds.

The point is, what works best for everyone is TRUE competition. All this posturing and pissing matches is good for no one. If you are in the Apple camp, or Android camp, each one benefits from the other. I would say the same in a Android forum that is ripping into Apple. Respecting the competitor rather than trying to go "thermonuclear" on them is win win in the long run. If Apple was the only phone on the market, do you really think you would have something like Siri? Do you really think their would be a front facing camera? Or a drive to make things faster and smoother? What is the incentive into dumping millions into R&D when there is no one to beat? If that was the case, we would still be driving around Model T's to the store.

I just don't understand why people in both camps cannot see that. We are humans with the inherent design of freedom of choice. I do not look down for others to chose one product over another. What I will fight for is the ability to have a choice, and not be forced into one.

And what has Google "innovated"? From what I have seen, very very little.

You are almost pedantic. A "True HD Display" but Retina display was what? Garbage?

WebOS introduced the notification system both Android and iOS enjoy.

NFC? Still is not accepted except at about 0.001% of places and has already been fully hacked to suck your account dry.

Front facing cameras? Symbian and WinMo beat Android by over a year. Apple was the first to complete the system.

"Now in related to what this article is about the patents in question, they will be thrown out. All those patents where used in the industry before Apple filed for them. "

Then why have no first year law students succeeded? ADC were absolutely not in use in the industry when Apple came out with them. Learn some history before commenting. The fact ADC has already been held up and is not in any HTC phones is proof that your comment is all wet.
  • Reply 97 of 448
    Quote:

So how's that Bluetooth 4.0 working out on the Nexus?

You picking up GLONASS to make the GPS more accurate?

How's that working for ya?

I guess you'll have to wait for the catch up unless you get an iPhone 4S

I thought you had an iPod touch 4 that you mentioned in your earlier post, so what happened you have a sudden urge to get an iPad in the last couple of hours?

This is an honest question question by the way: What's the current benefit of Bluetooth 4.0 on the 4S, and how are the offerings that take advantage of it? Accessory guys getting in the game pretty quickly?

EDIT: Doing some reading and it's not clear if the 4S actually uses GLOSNASS in positioning, or it's simply supported via the Qualcomm chip it's using. Most of the sources I find that will make a claim at all are saying it's just supported and not necessarily used. Do you have a definitive link either way?
  • Reply 98 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MHD View Post

Actually they're third behind Belgium and Lithuania, the chart in wiki is not updated.

And the rate in China is 22.2 in 100,000 so your comparison is a bit skewed.

The rate at Foxconn is lower than China.
  • Reply 99 of 448
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

And what has Google "innovated"?

Google TV.
  • Reply 100 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This is an honest question question by the way: What's the current benefit of Bluetooth 4.0 on the 4S, and how are the offerings that take advantage of it? Accessory guys getting in the game pretty quickly?

Lower power consumption as Motorola would probably agree, they've used it in the Droid Razr.

Watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUmOXxlnjf0

http://youtu.be/Sf08o_j68XA