Chinese 'iPad' trademark owner looking to block sales of Apple's iPad globally

Comments

• Reply 101 of 205
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Proview, the company that claims ownership of the "iPad" name in China, has asked the Chinese government to block exportation of Apple's iPad, which would effectively bring global sales to a halt.

Apple seems to own the trademark outside of China so I'm not sure how they could ban the products from being exported but these are clearly the actions of a debt-ridden company:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1275792.html

$1.6b in damages for some low-end display manufacturer because of a name they probably don't even use for a product.

Maybe calling it the iPad would suffice. Just reprint some labels for the Chinese market.

If they do manage to block sales entirely in China, Apple should just withdraw it from sale. Chinese consumers will lose out more than anything and they just wait until ProView tanks.
  • Reply 102 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

So... maybe China's not such a cost-effective place to do business after all.

Interesting point, and one with far-reaching conclusions.

These big tech (and other) companies discovered that low-priced foreign tech support lines were not always the cheapest alternative, if customer satisfaction is taken into account. Maybe these big tech companies will likewise discover that low-priced chinese labor is not always the cheapest alternative, if more factors are taken into account.

Maybe it is worth the extra labor costs to manufacture in first-world countries, like the US? I can't tell. Lots of numbers need to be crunched by the bean counters and the suits at Apple.
  • Reply 103 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Make a call with your iPad. Do it.

I can
  • Reply 104 of 205
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

Make a call with your iPad. Do it.

Type with ten fingers on your iPhone. Do it.

Come off it. You can't possibly have missed what he was saying.

FACT: I make FaceTime 'calls' equally well on my iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad quite often, as I'm certain many others do as well.

Anyway... Whether the naysayers want to acknowledge it or not - the aforementioned devices are all just touchscreen tablet devices of varying sizes, functionally the same, running the same OS, and many of the same apps, and it's only logical that larger screens tend to afford a more natural/comfortable touch/typing experience, so that argument is moot.
  • Reply 105 of 205
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Apple seems to own the trademark outside of China so I'm not sure how they could ban the products from being exported but these are clearly the actions of a debt-ridden company:

$1.6b in damages for some low-end display manufacturer because of a name they probably don't even use for a product.

Maybe calling it the iPad would suffice. Just reprint some labels for the Chinese market.

If they do manage to block sales entirely in China, Apple should just withdraw it from sale. Chinese consumers will lose out more than anything and they just wait until ProView tanks.

If exports are blocked, this will become a significant trade dispute and the US government will become involved. China needs the world as much as the world needs China.
  • Reply 106 of 205
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Look what the cat brought in.
  • Reply 107 of 205
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:

Dear China,

We have 100 billion dollars. We'll just stop selling all of our products to you and move all our manufacturing to Taiwan. You know, the place you pretend doesn't exist.

Sincerely,

Apple.

Dear Apple,

We dont need Apple as others will take its place.

Sincerely,

China

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Wow China really wants the world to hate it.

You dont want to piss of China. They own a large portion of US debt not to mention they own 70% of the worlds ENTIRE manufacturing output.

Might be beneficial for Apple to payup the $1.6 Billion before their stocks prices take a tumble.
  • Reply 108 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

We dont need Apple as others will take its place.

Who?
  • Reply 109 of 205
    ... the market value of Proview is bellow 300 M$ ...

Worst case is, its going to end up as a very aggressive IPO from Apple ... and then what ?
  • Reply 110 of 205
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    In a worst case scenario Apple could ship them in bulk packaging without any branding. Then print the packaging and brand the device in the retail country. Those last two steps are really easy to do just about anywhere in the world. It might cost a little more to the end user or maybe Apple could just eat the cost. Then the threat of pulling out of China would have some teeth.
  • Reply 111 of 205
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Dear Apple,

We will stop buying American debt and destroy your economy. Don't forget that we have you by the short curlies.

Sincerely.

China

Right, China would risk destroying the global economy over a trademark dispute. Tell me, do you think before you post, or do you just blurt crap out?
  • Reply 112 of 205
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    This entire story is a joke. There is no way Chinese courts will block the exportation of the iPad based on a trademark dispute.
  • Reply 113 of 205
    Quote:

You keep thinking that.

Throwing money even at *GASP* the legal right to the trademarked name!

I do not think it I know it. In my line of business I see the crazy things China does in the name of Nationalism. Makes zero sense to you and I, is extremely counter productive but never the less they still do these things. You are trying to rationalize like a business man or simply a rational human being but from the things I have seen, rational is way off the charts when it comes to Chinese Nationalism and "saving face". This deal is going to come down to how well Apple is at diplomacy and kissing butt, not laws or money, though I am sure large sums of money will change hands.
  • Reply 114 of 205
    The possibility that China could stop export of the iPad over a disputed trademark when China does nothing to quell the manufacture of counterfeit products, including Apple products, for sale in China and for export worldwide is the irony of the century.
  • Reply 115 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

So, buying North Korea, is that the end run, the flanking manoeuvre, to beat the Chinese at their own game?

You guys might be on to something here. Steve wanted to go Thermonuclear. If Apple buys North Korea, they could do so literally!

And they could set up factories there with rules like the death penalty for sleeping on the job, and working conditions would STILL be better than other jobs available to the workers.

Thermonuclear capabilities combines with the ability to use horrible labor practices! That's the ticket!
  • Reply 116 of 205
    Normally I wouldn't resort to the childish response, but hey, it seems more than appropriate. I say that until the Chinese government takes their knock-off, piracy, IP-theft seriously, then their companies should be ignored when they make the kinds of complaints that foreign companies have been making for years about China. They can't let their homegrown companies rip everyone else off then suddenly find religion when one of their own companies feels it's IP/trademark/etc is being abused...
  • Reply 117 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's common to suggest some excessive fee so a less excessive, though still excessive, fee will seem more reasonable. I don't think for a second that Proview thinks they will get anywhere near $1.6B even if they are in the right, which don't seem like the smart bet considering we know Apple licensed the iPad name from Proview already. Seems to me that the parent company misrepresented its ability to license the iPad name in China or that the Proview China is misrepresenting itself are more likely than Apple having done a half assed job with their previous deal and knew full well they didn't have the rights to the name in China despite the $55 million payout.
  • Reply 118 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It doesn't matter. China can not stop Apple from manufacturing a product in China for export solely because they do not believe that Apple has the rights to the name in China. It doesn't matter if the product and the box and the documentation say 'iPad'. China can only prevent its sale in China, not elsewhere.

If a company were set up making counterfeit iPads (or any other name-brand product) in the USA, all for export, do you really think that US law would allow that?

That seems pretty unlikely to me. ISTM that manufacture of counterfeit goods can be prevented under Chinese law too, and that if they are produced, export can be stopped.

Do you really think otherwise?
  • Reply 119 of 205
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post

It's interesting that none of you non-yanks mind the billions of dollars [literally] in financial aid that comes out of the US every year. Hell, if all that economic aid that the US has passed out out every year for the just past few decades was actually repaid with proper interest, then there wouldn't be a US deficit (yes, even with rampant corruption, bloat and excess in government spending). I don't hear any cries of "no, no, no, we don't want your money, just keep it for yourselves" - no, it's hands out 24/7. How about every time there's a natural disaster, who's on the scene first? Agencies/organizations from the US. And what do the "yanks" get for offering (and executing) more assistance than everyone else in the world combined - they get labeled as "busy bodies sticking their nose in everyone else's business". The US has made some whopper mistakes in sending troops to various places, but how many of those were unilaterally-US? How many times did the US go in somewhere without the cooperation of forces from other nations (pitiful as they might have been)?

No, the US has done what no other nation has managed so far. Despite massive mistakes along the way, and massive problems yet to be tackled, the US is still the best option out there. Perfect? Not by a long shot, but frankly, better than any other option we have out here. People still immigrate to the US in droves every year - even though "the world hates those yanks". The ones that can't immigrate, simply emulate as best as they can. Why? Because even with the problems, it's just better in the US - better than the alternatives. Because the only people who "hate" the US, are the governments and organizations with a vested interest in the status-quo in their respective countries, as well as the ignorant pawns that have been duped into towing the party line and spout the anti-US rhetoric (even though it hurts them in the long run to do so, but such is the price of ignorance). So much venom constantly spit on the US, and interestingly enough, so much of it by anonymous voices on a globally-unifying medium (the 'internet') that wouldn't even exist were it not for the efforts initiated and largely executed by the US (look up ARPANET).

And what do you think will happen to the global economy without the US & China both as significant players? (Hint: Welcome back to a pre-industrial world, mate.)

I wouldn't even bother defending against the "America sucks/capitalism is evil" diatribes...it's been trendy to hate the States for a few decades now, and obviously because the Bible says greed is bad, it must be, and no one needs to defend that assertion.
  • Reply 120 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If a ban actually happened, then Apple needs to reconsider doing business in that corrupt, communist mafia country. China is currently one of the worst countries in the world and they usually side with evil when it comes to most situations.

Lots of people think that Apple should reconsider doing business in China whether or not a ban actually happens. Labor conditions alone are enough to cause Apple to reconsider.