Apple issues statement on iPhone 4 'antenna-gate' lawsuit settlement

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

After settling a class-action lawsuit over the "antenna-gate" controversy that surrounded the iPhone 4 in 2010, Apple has issued a statement declaring the $15 payouts apply to a "small number" of people.

"This settlement relates to a small number of customers who indicated that they experienced antenna or reception issues with their iPhone 4 and didn't want to take advantage of a free case from Apple while it was being offered in 2010," Apple spokeswoman Natalie Harrison said in a statement to The Loop.

The settlement offers users either a free iPhone bumper case, which the company sells for $29, or they can instead opt to receive $15 in cash. Those who held out for the lawsuit essentially gain nothing, as Apple's original settlement to users in 2010 was to give away free bumper cases to iPhone 4 buyers as well.

In fact, though the iPhone 4 free bumper case program technically ended on Sept. 30, 2010, Apple quietly still offered free cases after that deadline to customers who contacted AppleCare support with reception issues. Those involved in the lawsuit only gain the new option of accepting $15, which is about half the value of the bumper case.

Apple's settlement applies to 18 separate lawsuits that were drawn together into one class-action complaint. Apple was accused of "misrepresenting and concealing material information in the marketing, advertising, sales and servicing of its iPhone 4."

Apple initiated the giveaway after complaints about loss of signal when covering the bottom left corner of the iPhone 4 gained a considerable amount of media attention. Apple responded by stating that all smartphones experience some form of attenuation when held in a certain way.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 120
    Quote:

"This settlement relates to a small number of customers who indicated that they experienced antenna or reception issues with their iPhone 4 and didn't want to take advantage of a free case from Apple while it was being offered in 2010," Apple spokeswoman Natalie Harrison said in a statement to The Loop.

This is what I don't get.

"We offered customers a free case to solve a problem that didn't exist. They wouldn't shut up, so after a year and a half of wasting our time and theirs, we're giving them the same offer again."

They had their chance. They shouldn't be given squat.
  • Reply 2 of 120
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The settlement offers users either a free iPhone bumper case, which the company sells for $29, or they can instead opt to receive $15 in cash.

Wonder how much the parasite lawyers got.
  • Reply 3 of 120
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It was a bad design for those who use no case, but most people do and the 4S even fixed the issue for those that don't. Steve was arrogant about it though, which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, even John Gruber.
  • Reply 4 of 120
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Wonder how much the parasite lawyers got.

We all know this is the real reason the lawsuit happened. What can you do.
  • Reply 5 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"We offered customers a free case to solve a problem that didn't exist. They wouldn't shut up, so after a year and a half of wasting our time and theirs, we're giving them the same offer again."

Except for the obviously high sunk cost of the legal fees it sounds like this shouldn't cost Apple much at all. Most people already took advantage of the free cases nearly 2 years ago. The cases cost Apple less than $15 to produce so I imagine that regardless of which option the people in the class chose the total cost to Apple will be less than $2 million. I can't believe that even 100,000 people pursued legal action over the initial offer of a free case.
  • Reply 6 of 120
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Except for the obviously high sunk cost of the legal fees it sounds like this shouldn't cost Apple much at all. Most people already took advantage of the free cases nearly 2 years ago. The cases cost Apple less than $15 to produce so I imagine that regardless of which option the people in the class chose the total cost to Apple will be less than $2 million. I can't believe that even 100,000 people pursued legal action over the initial offer of a free case.

I'd wager that with the severity of the case and with retainers this was probably given to some newer lawyers at the firm and likely didn't cost Apple much of anything.
  • Reply 7 of 120
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I've owned an iPhone 4 since it was released. Not ONCE have I had a dropped called because of this. I personally know around 20 people who have the phone, and personally have asked them at one point or another if they've ever had reception issues. Most of them look at me in a weird way when I ask that, and the answer is always 'No'. This admittedly anecdotal evidence makes it very difficult for me to believe that this was a real, widespread, inherent problem of the iPhone 4 design. Its an inherent phone antennae issue in general, and when combined with spotty coverage and artificial misinformation campaign of outrage from sites such as Gizmodo which the media then jumped upon because of the Apple name, it became this manufactured 'scandal', certainly not deserving of any class action lawsuits or compensation. But hey, good for them. Hope they spend that $15 well.
  • Reply 8 of 120
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

The lead attorney for the settlement says the affected class includes 25 million buyers, or a possible $375 million payout, not including attorney fees. I believe someone is mistaken if claiming the settlement applies to only a small group.

EDIT: I see AI's error(?). They've taken Apple's statement that "This settlement relates to a small number of customers. . " and changed it to say "Apple has issued a statement declaring the $15 payouts apply to a "small number" of people." That's not what Apple said.
  • Reply 9 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It was a bad design for those who use no case, but most people do...

I actually doubt most people use a case. A large amount of people, sure, but certainly not most.
  • Reply 10 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

I actually doubt most people use a case. A large amount of people, sure, but certainly not most.

I probably would if Apple made an iPhone dock that could work without first removing the Bumper.
  • Reply 11 of 120
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Darn it! I wanted a free bumper case.

Wait, I already have one
  • Reply 12 of 120
    Quote:

Maybe they didn't want to use a case and felt it was unacceptable to put up with a design fault in such an expensive phone.

Of course, you would never be able to understand this unless this issue was regarding another brand.
  • Reply 13 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Maybe they didn't want to use a case and felt is was unacceptable to put up with a design fault in such an expensive phone.

Other than there not being a design fault, I suppose that's a valid explanation.

Quote:

Of course, you would never be able to understand this unless this issue was regarding another brand.

Of course. Naturally. Because that's obviously the case here. No pun intended.

There's not a rolleyes emoticon on the entire Internet large enough to end the above.
  • Reply 14 of 120
    Quote:

Maybe they didn't want to use a case and felt it was unacceptable to put up with a design fault in such an expensive phone.

They had a standard 30 days to return it with no restocking fee or requirement to be held to their cellular contract if the device was unsuitable for them.
  • Reply 15 of 120
    I have a white iPhone 4, and when I bought it I had hoped that something had been done about the reception issues (considering the white iPhone 4 was a late release). Anyway, if I don't use a case my iPhone's reception dies as soon as I touch the sides, regardless of how I hold it. I absolutely must use a case

Anyway, my wife's iPhone 4S has no problems whatsoever.
  • Reply 16 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They had a standard 30 days to return it with no restocking fee or requirement to be held to their cellular contract if the device was unsuitable for them.

Who in their right mind would return an iPhone?? Simply doing so would be an indication you didn't have standing in a suit by reason of insanity. Right?
  • Reply 17 of 120
    Quote:

Other than there not being a design fault, I suppose that's a valid explanation.

Of course. Naturally. Because that's obviously the case here. No pun intended.

There's not a rolleyes emoticon on the entire Internet large enough to end the above.

Yeah right...no design fault. Look at the chart below, the iPhone 4 has crap reception. I'm sure you will come up with some spin to say it comes out on top though.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/a...-att-verizon/2
  • Reply 18 of 120
    Quote:

Yeah right...no design fault. Look at the chart below, the iPhone 4 has crap reception.

We're not going over this again. When tens of millions of phones are still sold today with absolutely no design change and NONE of them are exhibiting this problem and NO ONE is actively complaining about it, it was NOT a problem with the phone. It was a problem with AT&T (and in Australia, in areas of equally poor service). Period.
  • Reply 19 of 120
    Quote:

Yeah right...no design fault. Look at the chart below, the iPhone 4 has crap reception.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/a...-att-verizon/2

You can't trust what Anandtech says about iPhone4 reception compared to others. Everyone knows they don't like Apple and diss their products whenever they have a chance to.

/s
  • Reply 20 of 120
    Quote:

We're not going over this again. When tens of millions of phones are still sold today with absolutely no design change and NONE of them are exhibiting this problem and NO ONE is actively complaining about it, it was NOT a problem with the phone. It was a problem with AT&T (and in Australia, in areas of equally poor service). Period.

LOL now you're blaming it on the networks....maybe your next excuse will be ultraviolet rays from the sun are targeting only the iPhone 4 so that cant be Apple's fault either.