Apple's sixth-gen iPhone expected to debut in September or October of 2012

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Apple's sixth-generation iPhone will debut about a year after the launch of the iPhone 4S, maintaining a fall introduction, according to a new report.

Citing a "reliable source," Japanese blog Macotakara reported on Monday that Apple's next iPhone is expected to debut in September or October of this year. It was said it appears that Apple plans to maintain this cycle "for years."

That would place the launch of the next iPhone about one year after the iPhone 4S debuted. Apple launched its current flagship iPhone in October of 2011.

The fall launch for the iPhone 4S was uncharacteristic for Apple, which in years past had launched new iPhone models in the months of June or July. But at last year's Worldwide Developers Conference in June, Apple chose not to introduce a new iPhone.

Last year's iPhone event essentially took the place of Apple's annual iPod event, which, in previous years, was held ahead of the holiday shopping season. But with the iPod representing a much smaller part of Apple's business, last year its portable music player lineup went relatively untouched, aside from a new white version of the iPod touch.

The launch of a new iPhone during the holiday shopping season paid off in a big way for Apple, which saw record sales of 37 million iPhones during its December quarter.

Though it would be unusual for Apple to release an entirely new iPhone model less than a year after debuting its last update, there have been various rumors that Apple planned to switch back to a June introduction in 2012. But Monday's report, if accurate, would indicate that Apple is content with a fall iPhone release schedule for 2012 and beyond.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    The biggest advantage of an iPhone fall release appears to be the ample opportunity for Apple to finish up iOS which is typically introduced to developers at the World Wide Developers Conference.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    It makes sense to replace the former September iPod/iTunes event with the iPhone introduction.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Big sigh. I know lots of us who bought an iPhone 4 the day it was released in June 2010 were hoping for an iPhone 5 as our AT&T contracts expire. I'll qualify for a 4S upgrade soon, but I think it's worth it to wait for a 5. Ah well. It really does make sense for Apple to release a new iPhone in Fall.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It makes sense to replace the former September iPod/iTunes event with the iPhone introduction.

I think so, too. The iPod market is dwindling fast enough that it shouldn't be the focus of an entire event. Plus, with the iPad (and now iPod Touch) being rleased about 6 months apart with mostly the same components they can space out the component inventory crunch better.

I expect the iPad to have a quad-core Cortex-A9, the Touch to be updated along side it but with the A5 in the current iPhone, then in the Fall the 6th generation iPhone to get a dial-core Cortex-A15 with the iPad to get a quad-core Cortex-A15 about 6 months later.

New iPad, new iPhone, new Mac. Going to be a costly year.

PS: I appreciate Neil Hughes using the "sixth-gen iPhone" in the title and article.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Oh is it really now?
  • Reply 6 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: I appreciate Neil Hughes using the "sixth-gen iPhone" in the title and article.

You really thing there's been enough discussion on what it will be named?
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Big sigh. I know lots of us who bought an iPhone 4 the day it was released in June 2010 were hoping for an iPhone 5 as our AT&T contracts expire. I'll qualify for a 4S upgrade soon, but I think it's worth it to wait for a 5. Ah well. It really does make sense for Apple to release a new iPhone in Fall.

Ditto. I bought my iPhone 4 late in the summer, and I am now eligible for an update. My wife is eligible in July. We were both hoping for a summer release as well.

This is one of the few times that I'm actually waiting for something from Apple, rather than just buying what I need (want) when I need (want) it.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You really thing there's been enough discussion on what it will be named?

Lets just name it Fred.

I still don't it the 6th generation, but the 6th release.

Generations:

1st: iPhone

2nd: iPhone 3G and 3Gs

3nd: iPhone 4 and 4s

4th: Fred
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I expect the iPad to have a quad-core Cortex-A9, the Touch to be updated along side it but with the A5 in the current iPhone, then in the Fall the 6th generation iPhone to get a dial-core Cortex-A15 with the iPad to get a quad-core Cortex-A15 about 6 months later.

Any thoughts about what they'll be called? A6 to match (hopefully) the naming of the next iPhone, or the dual-core A6 and quad-core A6, or something else entirely?

We can probably rely on it being "less techy" than the ARM moniker, but not as crap as Intel's/Google's etc. naming systems of Sandyballs/Honeycomb/Snapdragon/Whatever.

On topic, this is a good idea if they're not going to be updating the iPods again, but this seems rather unlikely given the uncharacteristic non-update in 2011. The Bluetooth nano watch w/iCloud notifications could be a good step, a VOIP-compatible touch with slightly-more converged hardware, along with a shift to just those two lines, perhaps dropping the nano in price to offset shuffle demand. The shuffle and classic should be up for funerals IMO.

iPhone 6 will be sick, it's going to be worth waiting to see what Sir Joni and Mr Steve were working on last year. It wasn't the "4S", that's 4 Sure.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Must be true. Otherwise we'd be seeing a developer preview of iOS 6 just about now.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    You really didn't need any reports to figure this out. I think many people on this very forum including myself have said as much many times over. They want to space products out through the year. When the iPhone 4S came out it was pretty easy to predict this would be their new release schedule.

Since the iPad is larger, it makes sense that it will get the newer specs first since miniaturization on all the components isn't as important as it is on the iPhone. 6 months gives them enough time to work things out. The iPod touch is the cheaper version of the iPhone essentially, so it will tend to get last years tech and also have some things left out completely besides just the phone capabilities. I do think it will get Siri this time around though. Apple wants SIri everywhere moving forward, but only on newer devices as an incentive to upgrade.

The most interesting possibility to me in these refreshes is will Apple consider making the iPod touch screen any larger? If they are planning to make the next iPhone larger, this might be a good way to test things out. It would also give developers a good 6 months head start to prepare for the much larger market for a larger iPhone display. It cold have a larger screen without spending the extra money for a retina display. They could reserve that for the next iPhone to differentiate the two.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    I have little faith in this rumor, but that timeframe wouldn't surprise me.

Regardless, I will hold onto my iPhone 4 and resist the 4S, even though I am just out of contract.

iPad 3 next month, iPhone 5 whenever, new MBP (or whatever they call it) upon all new Retina design.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    According to a new report... "no sh*t????" Sorry to be blunt but seriously, when has this ever not been the case? Give or take a month or two, it's always been roughly a year outside of new carrier additions. Any "reliable" source would be someone who can see an obvious pattern.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    iPhone ....

Bleeeccchhh ....

Bring on the rapid iPad development!
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Have you actually checked your upgrade eligibility or are you just assuming? I bought the 4 in October of 2010 but was able to get upgrade pricing in January of 2012. I don't know if my timing is shorter because of the type of plan I have or the fact that we have two iPhones on AT&T but I have generally seen much shorter upgrade times on my accounts.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Will T-mobile get the iPhone this year?

My local bell offers cell phones and the roaming service is collaborated with T-mobile. If T-mobile gets iPhone, I feel that my local bell should also get it
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Is anyone here going to refuse to buy the next iPhone if Apple reveals to the world an iPhone 5 rather than a 6? Honestly, people seem to take that far too seriously as if it ends up being named the wrong number people will go into convulsive fits. For all we know someone at Apple took a liking to the name "Nexus One" and decided we'll go backward and call it the "iPhone One" simply because there never was a "1"...it was just "iPhone". I doubt whatever they call it will ultimately harm sales...regardless of a summer or a fall release.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KrakaJap View Post

According to a new report... "no sh*t????" Sorry to be blunt but seriously, when has this ever not been the case? Give or take a month or two, it's always been roughly a year outside of new carrier additions. Any "reliable" source would be someone who can see an obvious pattern.

Last year was the first fall release... 16 months between update. Apple's pattern prior to that 4 years in a row was a one year release date.

Personally, I still think there is a chance for a late June reveal, early July release.

To me it totally depends on what Apple's number crunchers say. Last year they saw a serious drop off of sales in calendar quarter 2011. I think the phone is ready and Apple will release the next phone June if they see too much of a drop off in this quarter. Later only makes sense if 4S sales are strong over the next 2 quarters.

I also believe that the updated styling of the v6 phone will easily push iPhone sales into the stratosphere for the next 4 to 6 quarters after release... iow... sales will not dwindle in the quarter prior to the intro of a new phone.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

Is anyone here going to refuse to buy the next iPhone if Apple reveals to the world an iPhone 5 rather than a 6? Honestly, people seem to take that far too seriously as if it ends up being named the wrong number people will go into convulsive fits. For all we know someone at Apple took a liking to the name "Nexus One" and decided we'll go backward and call it the "iPhone One" simply because there never was a "1"...it was just "iPhone". I doubt whatever they call it will ultimately harm sales...regardless of a summer or a fall release.

I don't recall anyone saying they wouldn't buy the iPhone if were named one way or would only buy it if it were named another. The debate was squarely on what was logical from a development PoV, not on desirably. I'm still expecting it to be called iPhone ST (since T comes after S).
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's sixth-generation iPhone will debut about a year after the launch of the iPhone 4S, maintaining a fall introduction, according to a new report. ...

Obvious blog is obvious. \