Apple to hold March 7 iPad event in San Francisco

Comments

• Reply 141 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I wish there were an easier way for 3rd-party developers to check for content ratings and implement parental controls.

We all have iPads -- and three are kids aged 11, 12, 16...

We have a video collection of about 1,000 movies and TV Shows that have ratings.

These are viewable on the AppleTV 2 via iTunes -- which has parental control based on metadata ratings from the iTunes store or MetaX (for ripped DVDs).

However, we use StreamToMe to make these same videos available to each iPad. StreamToMe does not (cannot?) interrogate the metadata of these same videos.

When StreamToMe first came available on the iPad, I contacted them to see if they could implement parental controls -- they said they would look into it.

We (adults) would like to be able to set individual controls for each kid's iPad...

As it is... we make everything available and consider it better than eliminating everything.

The same goes for the web -- there is no way to prevent anyone from going to any web site...

I would argue that the problem is the ratings themselves are completely broken and not only don't reflect the kind of information that the average viewer wants to know about a particular title but are such a racket that a large part of the content production market just ignores them. Ask ten people what the difference in content is between 14a, 18a, PG, R, and X and you will get ten different answers.

I know on Netflix about 25% of the content (at least) is "not rated" because the producers didn't want to go through the hassle of being censored or having someone else dictate to them what they can and cannot put in the movie. A large part of these movies are not "risqué" in any sense of the word, they just didn't want to lose creative control to the religious zealots that run the rating system.

It's also worth thinking about what you are trying to protect your kids from. Almost all censorship is "wrong" in the sense that it only stops you from seeing things that no one has ever been able to demonstrate any real harm can come from. The most censored content of all is simple nudity which harms no one, offends only a few and is very healthy for children in general. Second to that is sexual activity which although confusing to young children is not going to really hurt them in any way to watch.

All the stuff that will actually screw up your kids minds and make them have nightmares (twisted sex and violence) is actually hardly censored at all and is fairly common on mainstream TV shows today. The messages they send are far more affecting than the occasional bare bum in a European movie and a show with a serial killer as a "hero" is arguably far worse for your children's psyche than an image of two people having sex.
  • Reply 142 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see enough evidence to suggest that is the case. Remember the iPad can be used on any of its 4 sides. They could have not included the button accidentally, could have used it on a different side to not include it, or even removed the button is editing.

If they did they remove the Home Button I'd be a little worried about a decline in utility. How will you enable Siri or other Home Button actions? I don't think the integrated button with no tactile feedback is a good solution.

The icon spacing in the invitation image is impossible to achieve in landscape mode. They are showing it in the portrait mode. Even the icon falls right on the same water drop that iPad 2 falls while being used in portrait mode. The similar scenario happens with the reflection on the dock.

And addition to that as I have mentioned earlier, it's impossible to get the same icon spacing in landscape mode. There seems to be NO home button. And I guess that also correlates with the reference in advertisement "And touch". This mention feels very generic because every one knows that it's touch oriented device unless iPad 3 is now can be entirely controlled via "touch".
  • Reply 143 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

The icon spacing in the invitation image is impossible to achieve in landscape mode. They are showing it in the portrait mode. Even the icon falls right on the same water drop that iPad 2 falls while being used in portrait mode. The similar scenario happens with the reflection on the dock.

And addition to that as I have mentioned earlier, it's impossible to get the same icon spacing in landscape mode. There seems to be NO home button. And I guess that also correlates with the reference in advertisement "And touch". This mention feels very generic because every one knows that it's touch oriented device unless iPad 3 is now can be entirely controlled via "touch".

I don't know how you use buttons, but I generally tend to touch them

Could this whole icon "controversy" simply be due to a different number of icons in the dock? Maybe they're not using 4 like they usually do in the promotional images.
  • Reply 144 of 230
    So excited! Just hope I have the money or will have to wait ages until they get them back in stock
  • Reply 145 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

Ridiculous.

First off, you are wrong about the icon spacing in landscape mode. I'm looking at two iPads right now in landscape mode and they appear to have the same spacing to me.

Secondly, all this crap about no home button or landscape versus portrait is completely stupid given the fact that *all* Apple product shots are "shopped" in one way or another.

You can't tell anything from the focus as the focus is "constructed" in photoshop even for basic product shots on Apple's website. They generally take about thirty identical shots of each product with only the focal point moving between shots and then construct the "perfectly in focus from back to front" product shot from that in Photoshop.

Given the fact that *all* the images are shopped, all details about them and all comments on said details are just a waste of time.
  • Reply 146 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post

I don't know how you use buttons, but I generally tend to touch them

Could this whole icon "controversy" simply be due to a different number of icons in the dock? Maybe they're not using 4 like they usually do in the promotional images.

Well I generally press the buttons, and touch the screen.

The spacing between the icons is wrong no matter how many icons you put on the dock. I tried doing that on my iPad 2.
  • Reply 147 of 230
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    predictions are fun, even when wrong:

100% certain: iPad 3 retina display (duh)

90% chance: Better cameras (yawn)

80% chance: Siri comes to iPad 3 (huge disappointment if not)

60% chance: LTE comes to iPad 3 (serious disappointment if not)

40% chance: MS Office app for iPad announced (has to come sooner or later)

20% chance: NFC comes to iPad 3 (not ready for primetime)

95% chance: Apple TV 3 unveiled (hardly a secret)

95% chance: New Remote App for Apple TV (old one sucks)

90% chance: Some new content apps announced for Apple TV (but nothing earthshaking)

50% chance: Siri comes to Apple TV via new Remote app (this would be huge)

10% wild guess: 5.5" iPod touch announced (the oft-rumored iPad mini)
  • Reply 148 of 230
    These are fun times, cannot wait to see what is unveiled!
  • Reply 149 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

CNBC probably got 'punked'(is that the correct slang?) by Apple. Good.

neither corporation is run by 15 year-olds so no one got 'punked'. rather, the analyst on CNBC gave false information on a minor detail (i.e., it doesn't change the fact the iPad 3 will be officially announced by Apple next week).
  • Reply 150 of 230
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Am I wrong in thinking that the photo in the article is of the invite? It says it is.

FYI when I posted this there was no image in the article. It looks like AI rush the news fast then did an edit a few minutes later, added the image and more info.
  • Reply 151 of 230
    Reading this thread makes me think that this is the way it was for understanding hieroglyphics prior to the Rosetta stone.

It doesn't really matter to me what they add or don't add... I'll be buying a 3 for my Wife so that I can finally have her 1 to control my 8SE telescope.
  • Reply 152 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Ridiculous.

First off, you are wrong about the icon spacing in landscape mode. I'm looking at two iPads right now in landscape mode and they appear to have the same spacing to me.

Secondly, all this crap about no home button or landscape versus portrait is completely stupid given the fact that *all* Apple product shots are "shopped" in one way or another.

You can't tell anything from the focus as the focus is "constructed" in photoshop even for basic product shots on Apple's website. They generally take about thirty identical shots of each product with only the focal point moving between shots and then construct the "perfectly in focus from back to front" product shot from that in Photoshop.

Given the fact that *all* the images are shopped, all details about them and all comments on said details are just a waste of time.

I agree. No sense looking at how high resolution the image is, etc.

I think the only thing can you read into is the text "really have to see".
  • Reply 153 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I would argue that the problem is the ratings themselves are completely broken and not only don't reflect the kind of information that the average viewer wants to know about a particular title but are such a racket that a large part of the content production market just ignores them. Ask ten people what the difference in content is between 14a, 18a, PG, R, and X and you will get ten different answers.

I know on Netflix about 25% of the content (at least) is "not rated" because the producers didn't want to go through the hassle of being censored or having someone else dictate to them what they can and cannot put in the movie. A large part of these movies are not "risqué" in any sense of the word, they just didn't want to lose creative control to the religious zealots that run the rating system.

It's also worth thinking about what you are trying to protect your kids from. Almost all censorship is "wrong" in the sense that it only stops you from seeing things that no one has ever been able to demonstrate any real harm can come from. The most censored content of all is simple nudity which harms no one, offends only a few and is very healthy for children in general. Second to that is sexual activity which although confusing to young children is not going to really hurt them in any way to watch.

All the stuff that will actually screw up your kids minds and make them have nightmares (twisted sex and violence) is actually hardly censored at all and is fairly common on mainstream TV shows today. The messages they send are far more affecting than the occasional bare bum in a European movie and a show with a serial killer as a "hero" is arguably far worse for your children's psyche than an image of two people having sex.

Yes, I agree that almost all censorship is wrong.

They are my grandkids, BTW.

Rather than control what they see, my daughter and I are trying to prepare them for what they see... so they can learn, understand and determine how to conduct themselves in polite society and the real world.

We are less concerned about [healthy/natural] sex -- than bigotry, any kind of stereotyping/profiling and antisocial behavior.

One particular galling stereotype is the kid-centric shows where the kids are smart, have access to everything and parents/adults are portrayed as out-of-touch oafs -- whose only purpose is to support the kids' every desire... a portrayal of self-indulgence and lack of respect for anything/anyone.

As an example of what we are trying to do: we have the mini-series Roots. We want the family to watch this together and to be able, where necessary, discuss and try to explain/understand...

There are several war movies that are quite graphic -- we want the kids to see these and understand...

Then, there are just the opposite -- movies/TV that we want the whole family to experience together -- because of the various emotions they invoke.

• Reply 154 of 230
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

Nope. 1024 x 768 -> 2048 x 1536 is a four fold increase in resolution.

No it's not. It's double the resolution along each axis. It's a four-fold increase in pixel density but resolution does not mean pixel count.
  • Reply 155 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

predictions are fun, even when wrong:

100% certain: iPad 3 retina display (duh)

90% chance: Better cameras (yawn)

80% chance: Siri comes to iPad 3 (huge disappointment if not)

60% chance: LTE comes to iPad 3 (serious disappointment if not)

40% chance: MS Office app for iPad announced (has to come sooner or later)

20% chance: NFC comes to iPad 3 (not ready for primetime)

95% chance: Apple TV 3 unveiled (hardly a secret)

95% chance: New Remote App for Apple TV (old one sucks)

90% chance: Some new content apps announced for Apple TV (but nothing earthshaking)

50% chance: Siri comes to Apple TV via new Remote app (this would be huge)

10% wild guess: 5.5" iPod touch announced (the oft-rumored iPad mini)

"20% chance: NFC comes to iPad 3 (not ready for primetime)"

I think that NFC is important... Not so much that the iPad will be used as an electronic wallet -- rather the iPad is used as an NFC terminal/POST that communicates to the electronic wallet, etc.
  • Reply 156 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

neither corporation is run by 15 year-olds so no one got 'punked'. rather, the analyst on CNBC gave false information on a minor detail (i.e., it doesn't change the fact the iPad 3 will be officially announced by Apple next week).

Some have reported that Apple sends out false information to find leakers. I used punk'd just as witticsm, I guess I failed. People are so tense these days.
  • Reply 157 of 230
    Apple hasn't confirmed they will announce an iPad. Personally, I think they will use this chance to announce a different and much anticipated new product: http://www.edibleapple.com/2012/02/2...ed-gas-stoves/.
  • Reply 158 of 230
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afrodri View Post

Apple hasn't confirmed they will announce an iPad. Personally, I think they will use this chance to announce a different and much anticipated new product: http://www.edibleapple.com/2012/02/2...ed-gas-stoves/.

lol...
  • Reply 159 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Whichever way ... my 'wive' is getting the same present

Sign me up for the same club!
  • Reply 160 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

Apple invitations are truly art. Remember in that event they released the smart cover, and that invitation resembles that behavior when you uncover the iPad. They're genius :P

Nice observation!