Purported 'iPad 3' rear panel measures 0.81mm thicker than iPad 2

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Supporting rumors that Apple's next iPad will be slightly thicker than the current iPad 2, a measurement of a leaked alleged "iPad 3" component has found it to be less than one millimeter thicker than its predecessor.

The purported iPad 3 component was measured with a digital vernier caliper, showing that it is 9.50mm thick. That's 0.81mm thicker than the rear panel for the iPad 2, which measures 8.69mm, according to an image discovered by Apple.pro.

The measurements support claims from early December that Apple's third-generation iPad will have the same 9.7-inch screen size as the iPad 2, but will be slightly thicker. That same report stated that the new iPad would continue to support the existing magnetic Smart Cover compatible with the iPad 2.

A slightly thicker iPad body would allow Apple to fit more inside the shell of the device, such as a larger battery for better performance, and more powerful components to power an anticipated high-resolution Retina Display. One report from last November said that Apple was likely to use dual-LED light bars in its next iPad in order to maintain the existing level of brightness with a higher density of pixels on the screen.

Purported iPad 3 rear panel components have been publicized on the Internet for weeks now, but Tuesday's report is the first exact measurement of such a component. Earlier pictures showed that the rear panel will have a slightly more tapered design, and will also accommodate a larger rear-facing camera lens than the iPad 2.

In addition to the Retina Display and a larger camera, the next iPad is also expected to feature a faster internal processor, as well as the option of compatibility with high-speed 4G LTE networks. A media event to unveil the new iPad will be held next Wednesday, March 7 in San Francisco, Calif.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    .81mm is not so bad. I am more curious about the weight.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I could have lived with 0.8mm thicker, but that extra 1/100th of a millimeter is a deal-breaker for me. I'll wait for iPad 4.
  • Reply 3 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So does this tell us anything about the additional power draw in relation to an assumed increase in battery size or is this what is needed for the thicker display panel?
  • Reply 4 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Case makers are rejoicing! Cable makers too! Dock connected accessories of all kinds will be sold for the third time to the same customers!
  • Reply 5 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I could have lived with 0.8mm thicker, but that extra 1/100th of a millimeter is a deal-breaker for me. I'll wait for iPad 4.

Good one. I'm sure that will be one reason given by the Android fans it will fail.

At least the same cases will work by the sounds of it assuming holes are all in the right place. Talking of case openings ... I wonder if they might add a stereo sound out put i.e. two wee speakers, one either end ... small issue I know but it would be nice in some situations like camping in a small tent ... not that I'd be using it for that
  • Reply 6 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Case makers are rejoicing! Cable makers too! Dock connected accessories of all kinds will be sold for the third time to the same customers!

apple doom

btw 95 is 8.1 mm thicker than 86.9. Damn those are think ipad 2 and 3's
  • Reply 7 of 75
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Hahaha.

"A slightly thicker iPad body would allow Apple to fit more inside the shell of the device, such as a larger battery for better performance, and more powerful components to power an anticipated high-resolution Retina Display. One report from last November said that Apple was likely to use dual-LED light bars in its next iPad in order to maintain the existing level of brightness with a higher density of pixels on the screen."

While I won't deny that .81 mm makes for more space than nothing, it's quite a stretch to go from the purported discovery that it's that much thicker to that statement. That's small enough to be the new casing thickness over the same spaced innards. Not that we don't already assume this model isn't faster and better than the 2, but you can't draw any such statements from a thickness leap of .81mm.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Same here. I'm always surprised that the weight of iPads doesn't come up more than it does. I'm a healthy mid sized male and I consider its weight a noticeable thing.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    Hmmm - 25.4mm + 1". That would make the new Ipad 3 3/4" thick.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    I still don't buy it. It could have been a prototype.
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I still don't buy it. It could have been a prototype.

• Thicker

• Heavier

• Less Battery life

• Lower framerates for games

• ...and it costs $80 more.

• Reply 12 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Same here. I'm always surprised that the weight of iPads doesn't come up more than it does. I'm a healthy mid sized male and I consider its weight a noticeable thing.

In what way? No, really, I'm interested.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
    • Thicker

• Heavier

• Less Battery life

Given all of those negatives, I bet USED iPad2 models will be sold at a premium when the existing stock runs out.

Here's my plan:

1) Log on to eBay.

2) Stock up on "clearance priced" iPad2s

3) Wait a month

4) Profit!
  • Reply 14 of 75
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    I'm one of the unusual people then that is slightly irked by this. However as all of you said I may not notice when I actually hold one. I'd sacrifice some battery life to keep the same thinness as the previous generation, but hopefully not too much. I wonder if it was the camera optics and not battery that made it thicker?

Well, I guess it is not confirmed as thicker just yet...
  • Reply 15 of 75
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    What's with the decimal points in the picture?

Should be 8.69 and 9.50. Am I being pedantic? Again?
  • Reply 16 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

Given all of those negatives, I bet USED iPad2 models will be sold at a premium when the existing stock runs out.

Here's my plan:

1) Log on to eBay.

2) Stock up on "clearance priced" iPad2s

3) Wait a month

4) Profit!

I'm betting every iPad 3 will be sold out for a very long time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

I'm one of the unusual people then that is slightly irked by this. However as all of you said I may not notice when I actually hold one. I'd sacrifice some battery life to keep the same thinness as the previous generation, but hopefully not too much. I wonder if it was the camera optics and not battery that made it thicker?

Would you sacrifice the HiDPI display? I want both the same or better battery life and the HiDPI display? A little thickness and wight is better than having to charge it more often. If the battery life was over 12 hours I would probably even suggest that more than 10 hours would be alight for this first generation with the HiDPI display but at 10 hours I think that is about the minimum for a modern tablet.
  • Reply 17 of 75
    Quote:

Me thinks the units be wrong, 95mm - 86.9mm != 0.81mm

how about 8.1mm thicker
  • Reply 18 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TooFar View Post

how about 8.1mm thicker

Your math is wrong. 95mm is 3.7" thick. They are saying it's 9.50mm thick which is 0.81mm thicker than the current iPad at 8.69mm (though Apple lists 8.80mm).
  • Reply 19 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
    • Thicker

• Heavier

• Less Battery life

This is what will cause me to wait and see. The $80 is no big deal, I will make that up easily with the sale of my iPad 1, the rest does concern me though but I just cannot see Apple releasing something that does not exceed its predecessor on all levels or at least be the same, outside price.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TooFar View Post

how about 8.1mm thicker

The 95 and 86 are wrong. It is 9.5 and 8.69...

Edit: I went too soon. 95mm is like 3.7 inches or phone book size.