Verizon Wireless teases 'something is coming' ahead of Apple's iPad event

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

The largest carrier in the U.S., Verizon Wireless, began teasing that "something is coming" on the main page of its website on Tuesday, a day before Apple is expected to announce its next-generation iPad.

Users can "be among the first to hear the news" if they provide Verizon with their e-mail address. The carrier is hyping its unknown "something" front and center on its website, making it the first thing users see when they visit it.

The advertisement appears as numerous reports have indicated that Apple plans to announce a new iPad this week with high-speed 4G long-term evolution wireless connectivity. Reports have suggested the new iPad will connect to the 4G LTE networks of both Verizon and AT&T in the U.S.

Verizon's 4G network now reaches 200 million people, making it the largest LTE network in the U.S. Its primary competition, AT&T, started building out its own LTE network later, and covered 74 million people as of the end of 2011.

Verizon gained a version of Apple's iPad compatible with its wireless network beginning last year with the launch of the iPad 2. The 3G-capable model of the first-generation iPad only provided built-in support for AT&T.

If the next iPad does feature a 4G radio, it would be Apple's first LTE-compatible product. Last year, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said poor battery life and other issues with the first generation of LTE chips were enough to dissuade the company from pursuing an LTE iPhone.

But last week, analyst Shaw Wu with Sterne Agee said he has heard from sources that Apple has made "notable progress" in improving battery life with 4G LTE devices. He said Apple's work with its own semiconductors, software and batteries has given it a leg up on the competition, which is still struggling with poor LTE-related battery life.

"We view the potential inclusion of 4G LTE as key with speeds approaching that of a quality personal computer experience," Wu said in a note to investors. "We also view as a positive indicator that the upcoming iPhone refresh in the fall timeframe will likely include this key feature as well."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    "Something is coming."

Real nice, Verizon. Way to pour on the information.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    2468ben2468ben Posts: 1member
    Would you guys be happy if the future generations just stayed the same thickness, but replaced any thinner components with a larger battery?

(I don't know how the weight would go up or down as a result)
  • Reply 3 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Verizon warns demand will outstrip LTE capacity 'as early as 2013'...
  • Reply 4 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    lol..

AI, fix your bloody stock ticker.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    What has not been mentioned in anything i read is whether this new Ipad model will work globally on Verizon Wireless like the Iphone 4S does. This is much more important to our company than LTE which to me is a downside.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 529member
    "By submitting my email address I agree that Verizon may contact me via email about the information I've selected above."

Man, I'm glad I read the fine print. I almost submitted my email. I'm looking forward to them letting me know about this but please stay out of my in-box.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Thank you, Ray.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

AI, fix your bloody stock ticker.

Why did stocks plummet yesterday and today, anyway?
  • Reply 9 of 42
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Given the capping and throttling that's already happening with 3G, I'm not holding my breath for 4G LTE.

I vividly remember getting on a (long-distance) bus which offered Wi-Fi and watching everyone immediately start streaming video. The network quickly ground to a halt. I'm envisioning a similar thing happening with 4G LTE.

Thankfully I was able to do my own tethering and not bother with the bus Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, there isn't a workaround when the entire cellular network is at max capacity.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    So would LTE enabled iPads still be specific to the various carriers? Would be convenient if consumers could buy one model that would work on whichever network they chose for any given month just by switching SIMs. For instance, I reside in NYC where I don't expect AT&T to provide very good coverage, so I'd go with Verizon down here. But on my farmland upstate, AT&T has the better signal. Hoping the iPad HD will be a universal device, but not holding my breath...
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Something is Coming! gee, I wonder, what could it be?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2468ben View Post

Would you guys be happy if the future generations just stayed the same thickness, but replaced any thinner components with a larger battery?

(I don't know how the weight would go up or down as a result)

I have no issue with the current size and I carry it in my hand using it for as much as 14 hours a day. So yeah if it stayed this size for the next decade I'm in.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why did stocks plummet today, anyway?

Greece
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Greece

Guh, just get it over with. Global depression. Bring it on. Anything to end this stupid roller coaster ride of nonsense.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Interesting this is on Verizon site but nothing from AT&T...yet. Any chance the LTE iPad3 will be exclusive to Verizon? I am sure AT&T will at least get a 3G version.

I say it is possible because Apple knows Verizon has much better LTE coverage and may not want to sale an LTE iPad on a network that has incredibly limited coverage.

Even the smaller cities and some rural areas near me have Verizon LTE coverage already, and coverage is improving rapidly.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Why is this even news? I mean, geez. We all know something is coming. So, Verizon put a teaser on their web site about it...big deal. An article doesn't have to be written about it.

No one knows if LTE is coming. One rumor says it is, another says it isn't, another says it is. Can we stop posting every little thought that comes across somebody's mind.

Sorry for the rant. It must be the anticipation turning into frustration. That, or male menopause. I just remember when AppleInsider posted 3-5 or five SOLID articles a day that were unique and set them apart. Now, it's all for clicks.

Ah, the only constant is change.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

Something is Coming! gee, I wonder, what could it be?

Samsung Galaxy Tab
  • Reply 18 of 42
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Why did stocks plummet yesterday and today, anyway?

Not sure about yesterday but today is Greece, apparently.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

No one knows if LTE is coming. One rumor says it is, another says it isn't, another says it is. Can we stop posting every little thought that comes across somebody's mind.

It's rumor site. That's what we do. I'd be happy if we stopped posting stuff from Digitimes entirely.

Quote:

Sorry for the rant. It must be the anticipation turning into frustration.

I've weathered many a pre-keynote storm; that's exactly what this is. No biggie.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

It's rumor site. That's what we do. I'd be happy if we stopped posting stuff from Digitimes entirely.

I've weathered many a pre-keynote storm; that's exactly what this is. No biggie.

...I love you guys. Now come on in for the real thing...