Apple's third-gen iPad rumored with more RAM, A5X dual-core CPU and LTE

Comments

• Reply 101 of 188
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're fucked regardless of what kind or combination of files you load if you need more than the 14.5GB of user space afforded on the 16GB model. Same goes for the limits of the larger models or anything else. I don't see why that means there should be no 16GB option if that is where the price point puts it this year. I don't want 16GB because I found i ended up needing more last year so I'll go for a larger capacity this year. Seems pretty simple to me.

I agree, which is why I think 16GB should be relegated to the iPad 2 at $399.

iPad 3 should take on the torch from 32GB onwards. I've got my money ready for a "hopeful" $599 64GB iPad 3
  • Reply 102 of 188
    Quote:

So cherry picking an item something can't do makes it a toy? Obvious guy says: you can do that with everything!

(I need a generic Obvious Guy image that I can type in. It would be nice to have a website add the text to an image instantly for this application.)

Had the iPad from the beginning. Had all ISP devices at one time or another. Still the ipad is an expensive toy ..so many things it can do -but none that I couldn't do without. I still need a a computer everyday. I will buy another iPad when it's flexible. My issue was with the guy who said the iPad was more flexible than an air! That's fanboy stupid.
  • Reply 103 of 188
    Yay. The iPahd.
  • Reply 104 of 188
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prattmeyer View Post

Still the iPad is an expensive toy ..so many things it can do -but none that I couldn't do without.

A semi truck is a toy. I have absolutely no use for one, can't do the things I want to do with it (street races, brag to hippie friends, etc.) and refuse to learn what their target market is, so it's a toy to me.
  • Reply 105 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A semi truck is a toy. I have absolutely no use for one, can't do the things I want to do with it (street races, brag to hippie friends, etc.) and refuse to learn what their target market is, so it's a toy to me.

lol you cannot be serious
  • Reply 106 of 188
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

lol you cannot be serious

Exactly, which is why I don't think he is, either.
  • Reply 107 of 188
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Quick, now do a rumor with A6, 512MB RAM, and no LTE. Then LTE, A5X, and 1GB RAM. And every other possible freaking combination you can do in less than 24 hours.

LOL! That is how the rumor mill reads sometimes.
  • Reply 108 of 188
    Quote:

Hello frank

It's being touted as a replacement for a laptop? Not a semi?? You need your diaper changed. Surely you can do better that that? No. The iPad is not a substitute for an air. Not as flexible nor even as an internet appliance is it a perfect device. Point made!
  • Reply 109 of 188
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

And I think I am very much justified to demand that by the third iteration of the iPad it doesn't max out to as much as it did 2 or so years ago, am I not?

No, no you are justified in demanding that Apple create a 128GB iPad to satisfy your desires. That is some serious entitlement issues you've got going on.

Quote:

No apple device has kept the same storages for 2 going into 3 years, have they? Wouldn't you be asking how come the mac or the MacBook pros in 3 years have not raised storage capacities?

So the iPad was released in 2010. I'll only keep with the more recent release maximums:
    • iPod Touch - 64GB in 2009, still 64GB in 2012

• iPod Classic - 160GB in 2009, still 160GB in 2012

• iPod Nano - 16GB in 2008, still 16GB in 2012

• iPod Shuffle - 2GB in 2006, jumped to 4GB in 2009, and back to 2GB in 2010, still 2GB in 2012.

• MacBook Pro - 512GB SSD in 2010, still 512GB SSD in 2012

• MacBook Air - 128GB in 2008, jumped to 256GB SSD in 2010, still 256GB in 2012

So on smaller devices the capacity doesn't grow as quickly as on larger devices with a 2.5" drive space for storage, and even that is taking 2 cycles. It's almost like there is no conspiracy.
  • Reply 110 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yeah that seems to be true. If apps aren't designed for multi-threading over 4 cores. What would be the purpose of the cores?

iOS supports GCD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Dispatch). You bet your arse we take advantage of multiple cores when we can. QueueView uses GCD throughout:

http://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/queue...485706739?mt=8
  • Reply 111 of 188
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Yeah, but have you seen the files sizes on some of Apple's latest initiative: TextBooks?

Throw in a few high resolution games, some movies, music and, some iTextBooks and you're ****ed with 16GB.

I hate to keep posting this (or variations) -- but just because today's iPad movie takes, say, 1 GB of SDD -- it doesn't mean that tomorrow's iPad movie couldn't be reduced to .2-.5 GB and deliver better results. You trade-off computation for storage. The same applies to media-heavy iBooks and games -- and to a lesser extent, audio.

Apple has some pretty intelligent people, and I believe that Apple, more than any of us, are aware of the tradeoffs that need to be made to deliver the best results to the most customers.

I expect that Apple, with the iPad 3, will hit the sweet spot of hardware, software and services for me and most people... that's what Apple does best!

For those whose needs differ, there are other choices -- from Apple or the competition.

I know all the things I want in an iPad -- but expect that I'd be unwilling to pay the price of many thousands of dollars for a custom solution to my desires.
  • Reply 112 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I agree, which is why I think 16GB should be relegated to the iPad 2 at $399.

I think it probably will be because it will open up the iPad to a much larger set of buyers while still generating a healthy profit for the year-old product.

Quote:

iPad 3 should take on the torch from 32GB onwards. I've got my money ready for a "hopeful" $599 64GB iPad 3

You haven't qualified how you've come to that conclusion. To wit, you've made no speculation about the display and associated components in the iPad HD will cost Apple nothing more or could save them money per unit or how the extra NAND costs them nothing to include.

You've only made a comment that sounds fair to you. That's fine for a wish, but it's not fine for an intelligent conversation that delves into the fundamentals of commerce.
  • Reply 113 of 188
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

iCloud is designed to increase the need for local storage, especially on iOS devices. It's a push & sync service, not a "hard drive" in the sky per se.

Bonus points for you for an awesome screen name. <3 that book.
  • Reply 114 of 188
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Specs have nothing to do with that.

On the iPad the amount of RAM available directly impacts what sort of apps can run well on the platform. I would have to say more RAM is more important long term than a retina screen. Plus a retina screen needs more RAM to work well byway.
  • Reply 115 of 188
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:

You're fucked regardless of what kind or combination of files you load if you need more than the 14.5GB of user space afforded on the 16GB model. Same goes for the limits of the larger models or anything else. I don't see why that means there should be no 16GB option if that is where the price point puts it this year. I don't want 16GB because I found i ended up needing more last year so I'll go for a larger capacity this year. Seems pretty simple to me.

You are a master, and simply unparalleled in twisting things around to defend ANY decision apple takes, I ll give you that, you never seize to amaze me...

Here you are said in essence, whenever you reach the limit of storage in any given storage size due to your file use you are effed. And the sun rises in the east? So what?

Rhe point people are making is that 14.5 gbs on such a multiuser device will be incredibly restricting on anything more than the most rudimentary usage, and others stressed as well that it's also the 3rd iteration, and every apple device has been growing in storage in three years but the iPad. I also pointed out that arguably I can do much more things with my iPad, which is also much more app rich than the air, yet one maxes at 64gb and starts at 16gb the other starts at 128gb. At 16gb apple is fair to say is elling a device that is a teaser of what an iPad can do for most users, because due to storage it can't store almost nothing... For crying out loud 16gbs is the iPod nano.....

And what do you mean if the price point puts it. Priceoints do not put shit, companies put price points, competitors to apple are selling at a loss to sell their content and/or to carve some market ans apple can't afford literally 3-4$ extra per device to start at a respectable capacity and not one that is a mockery? We are sitting here in 2012 discussing if 14.5gbs are adequate for such a versatile post pc device? Jesus effing Christ...

...anyway eff it, I ve ended up arguing the bleeding obvious with you again because of your religious affiliation with apple...
  • Reply 116 of 188
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Adding more cores carries diminishing returns. Of all the factors impacting performance, that?s way down the list!

I'm most interested in what they do to the GPU cores to up performance to drive the retina screen. Will it be more GPU cores, a hIgher clock rate or a mixture of techniques. I'm placing by bets on faster GPU cores, which probably will run between 600 and 800MHz.

As to diminishing returns, while that is true the roll off starts at a number greater than 2. I really don't think anybody will have a problem with CPU speed as Apple could double th clock rate easily and add a bit of cache. It sounds like iPAd 3 will be a very interesting machine.
  • Reply 117 of 188
    Quote:

Rhe[sic] point people are making is that 14.5 gbs on such a multiuser device will be incredibly restricting on anything more than the most rudimentary usage, and others stressed as well that it's also the 3rd iteration, and every apple device has been growing in storage in three years but the iPad.

Most people I know don't put all the music they illegally torrented or downloaded from Limewire a decade ago. Most people I know don't store a crap load of videos. No one I know is keeping any, much less every iBookstore textbook on their iPad. Surely this is anecdotal, but using it for mail, Safari, some apps and reading books is the likely the most common usage.

Just to be clear, you call it rudimentary usage because acting like an elitist demanding something and then throwing a tantrum if reality don't match up with your fantasy is perfectly fine behaviour? Go with that¡
  • Reply 118 of 188
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:

I think it probably will be because it will open up the iPad to a much larger set of buyers while still generating a healthy profit for the year-old product.

You haven't qualified how you've come to that conclusion. To wit, you've made no speculation about the display and associated components in the iPad HD will cost Apple nothing more or could save them money per unit or how the extra NAND costs them nothing to include.

You've only made a comment that sounds fair to you. That's fine for a wish, but it's not fine for an intelligent conversation that delves into the fundamentals of commerce.

And what fundamentals of commerce did you provide for this discussion? Isnt Amazon selling at loss to then sell their content? Isn't apple also a big content provider? Isn't apple also the biggest purchaser of flash with immense clout to buy it cheaper than almost anyone n the globe? You are trying to convince us based on absolutely no evidence that other costs prohibit apple from the 3-4$ per device to go from 16 to 32gbs, with pretences on the fundamentals of commerce? What are the fundamentals of commerce? Keeping your high margins and screwing the user over with storage sizes from 3 years ago?

Give us a break will you...solipsism indeed...
  • Reply 119 of 188
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Albebaubles View Post

iOS supports GCD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Dispatch). You bet your arse we take advantage of multiple cores when we can. QueueView uses GCD throughout:

http://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/queue...485706739?mt=8

Cool App. I'm downloading it now.
  • Reply 120 of 188
    Quote:

And what fundamentals of commerce did you provide for this discussion? Isnt Amazon selling at loss to then sell their content? Isn't apple also a big content provider? Isn't apple also the biggest purchaser of flash with immense clout to buy it cheaper than almost anyone n the globe? You are trying to convince us based on absolutely no evidence that other costs prohibit apple from the 3-4$ per device to go from 16 to 32gbs, with pretences on the fundamentals of commerce? What are the fundamentals of commerce? Keeping your high margins and screwing the user over with storage sizes from 3 years ago?

Give us a break will you...solipsism indeed...

I'm, unsuccessfully, trying to convince you to act rationally and stop saying you're justified in demanding a company make the exact product you want simply because you want it without any regard for how they make money, what their costs are, or their supply and demand.

They may very well offer a 128GB iPad. That would be great and I'd likely buy that model with the cellular card even if cost more than the current 64GB WiFi+3G model, but I'm hoping, your demanding. You can't see a difference because, well, I'm rational and you are you.

PS: It's great how you came to that $304 window for doubling the flash storage. I'm not even going to ask you are arrived at those upper and lower values... I'm sure it's all above board¡