Apple's third-gen iPad rumored to feature 'never before seen touch technology'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 129
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

For instance, at one point sound wasn't that big of a deal and a decent sound card was seen as something for gamers only.

I might add though that such technologies have become standard when the cost of including them became nominal. This seems like cutting edge technology. I cannot imagine that the costs are low enough that it could be included in a consumer product priced like the iPad.
  • Reply 42 of 129
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I can conceptualizer (almost said visualize) a texture/haptic feedback UI where touch could include/enable multiple actions -- locate a small UI control, touchover (mouseover)...
  • Reply 43 of 129
    wshuff4wshuff4 Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Felt visual technology?

BREAKING: ALL IPAD 3 GRAPHICS WILL TAKE ON THE APPEARANCE OF CUT OUT PIECES OF FELT!

That made me laugh out loud in a Starbucks! Perfect! So will the new iPad be blue? And I can only imagine the song that plays when you get mail.
  • Reply 44 of 129
    akaneoakaneo Posts: 4member
    This sounds like a rumor we'll be hearing for the next year or 2, maybe until the ipad 4 or 5.
  • Reply 45 of 129
    gedged Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

A "highly ambitious rumor"?

That is simply embarrassingly bad writing.

Fiend! Are rumours not allowed to be ambitious?

Hath not a Rumour eyes? If you prick it, doth it not bleed? If you tickle it, doth it not laugh? If you poison it, doth it not die? And if you wrong it, doth it not revenge?
  • Reply 46 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akaneo View Post

This sounds like a rumor we'll be hearing for the next year or 2, maybe until the ipad 4 or 5.

I think the gaming possibilities, alone, would easily justify the feature!
  • Reply 47 of 129
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    So from the video interview with the company rep, it works by applying an electrostatic field to your finger increasing friction wherever developers want. So if I understand correctly, it could say help finding the home keys while typing without looking, but you wouldn't feel the buttons being pressed or anything like that.
  • Reply 48 of 129
    plexdkplexdk Posts: 3member
    but you have to touch it to feel it... and then you have already activated the touched area?... How would that work?
  • Reply 49 of 129
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    For those of you looking for stock prices. Get the CNBC Real Time market app, free app with real time streaming prices,pre and post market prices, foreign markets, news, etc, it's freaking awesome and again free, no fees.

Enjoy.
  • Reply 50 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plexdk View Post

but you have to touch it to feel it... and then you have already activated the touched area?... How would that work?

What do you mean? Put your finger on it and you feel the difference in texture.
  • Reply 51 of 129
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

I can see usefulness, especially with the visually impared. say you're trying to find an icon, drag your finger across the screen until you feel a rough spot, then you know your finger is on an icon that you can interact with... tactile feedback or the feeling of "textures" is a natural way of knowing what your finger is touching... its like those little nubs on the 'f' and 'j' keys on the keyboard... you dont have to look down at the keyboard to be able to find home row... the 'f' and 'j' keys on the ipad could be 'rough' to indicate your fingers are on the right keys for instance.

Great handle, ExceptionHandler! I'm not familiar with haptics and Senseg but feel that in time at least, this could be a big deal. I can imagine over the years becoming quite used to the subtle feedback and one day stopping to reminisce that in the past, feel was absent from our glass surfaces.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's more likely that Senseg has nothing to do with the iPad and is trying to get free publicity. Just like Proview.

I am not aware of the context for Senseg's comments but I would have thought that if they were not involved with Apple in pursuing the capability, they would surely just say so (must say so).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I can conceptualizer (almost said visualize) a texture/haptic feedback UI where touch could include/enable multiple actions -- locate a small UI control, touchover (mouseover)...

Lots of room for imagination here Dick!
  • Reply 52 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

So from the video interview with the company rep, it works by applying an electrostatic field to your finger increasing friction wherever developers want. So if I understand correctly, it could say help finding the home keys while typing without looking, but you wouldn't feel the buttons being pressed or anything like that.

With haptic feedback, you can get the sensation of a key or button press... There was an app, a while ago, on the iPhone that used the vibrator -- and did a decent job.
  • Reply 53 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Hmmmm I'm curious, what if they can mimic Braille?

A iPad that the blind can read. You heard it here first.
  • Reply 54 of 129
    Quote:

Change the UI:

1) touch == locate

2) touch-tap == key press

No one said that multitouch couldn't evolve...
  • Reply 55 of 129
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:

You don't actually have to touch a surface that is radiating a field, however, in this instance one's finger would be close. Perhaps, the system could also be applied in reverse, allowing pressure sensitivity and therefore allow an overt finger press to be detected. Finger proximity feedback (or fpf ).
  • Reply 56 of 129
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Show me a link to AAPL at that price? I can only find them up 60c

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL

Yahoo! Finance has close to real-time updates (not the charts, but at least the quote).

Anyway, I think haptic is a remote possibility, but not impossible. I won't be disappointed if it doesn't have this, or a quad-core processor for that matter. I'll pull the trigger if it has a Retina Display (guaranteed) and LTE (more likely than not).
  • Reply 57 of 129
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Last hours to get your rumors about the new iPad. I would like to start the rumor that it will have a foldable screen, projector, and include an intel chip so it can run Windows 8. Also, it will have a phone and be renamed iPhone XL.

while you are correct that folks will toss in the last rumors I think that this one could be mildly true. As an accessibility tool. A way perhaps to signal when the finger is on a 'live' versus a 'dead' space. But that's probably about it.
  • Reply 58 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Lots of great applications for this technology. The blind wouldn't have to rely on every element talking back to them on an iOS-based device. Apple could have a completely touchscreen car system that you could use while still paying attention to the road.
  • Reply 59 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

You don't actually have to touch a surface that is radiating a field, however, in this instance one's finger would be close. Perhaps, the system could also be applied in reverse, allowing pressure sensitivity and therefore allow an overt finger press to be detected. Finger proximity feedback (or fpf ).

I think pressure sensitivity can be approximated by determining a change in the area covered by the touch action... Especially if Apple were to include a more granular digitizer.
  • Reply 60 of 129
    I think there may be a little something to this. It will not be full blown. Like maybe a slight feel when you type.

RC