Apple's third-gen iPad rumored to feature 'never before seen touch technology'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't mean to bad mouth you but you're breaking my heart. (No coffee yet so that sentence is a lot less elaborate than I think I could otherwise muster).

I'm not sure about other languages but English has a lot of idioms that make no sense when you dissect their parts, but are perfectly understood and, in fact, reinforce meanings because they are so well understood. True, the term used is not an idiom but all forms of expression have to start somewhere.

Well I think the mountain was made out of this molehill several posts ago, but I would argue back that this is a factual report not prose and that the intention of the author didn't seem idiomatic to me.

We also have a long history of absolutely atrocious grammar and writing from AppleInsider to consider. If someone makes a thousand mistakes a day, is it right to assume that the thousandth and first one is simply an idiom in the making?

I think you are being overly kind to the writers, but as I said, I don't really care about it too much one way or the other. I was merely responding to your original assertion that there was nothing wrong with the sentence mentioned.
  • Reply 102 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

You did know this technology has been available for some time now, and the maker has showed it numerous times and were talking to parties to get it included on an actual product.

So it's a general technology, available to everyone (until a company pays for an exclusive license).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

But if true it will still be a case of Apple leading getting this into the mainstream and everyone else following while bleating about how obvious it was and that they're not copying Apple. Again.

When you think about it... Other than Apple, likely, only MS could carry this off -- with devices manufactured to a required spec that is exploited by the OS...

I don't think Google has enough weight to dictate hardware, and then exploit it.

Quoting Alan Kay: "People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware."

• Reply 103 of 129
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I doubt it is true but as long as I can turn it off it doesn't matter one way or the other to me. Seems completely useless though because it would appear to interfere with the traditional iOS method of using the touch interface.
  • Reply 104 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

We also have a long history of absolutely atrocious grammar and writing from AppleInsider to consider. If someone makes a thousand mistakes a day, is it right to assume that the thousandth and first one is simply an idiom in the making?

This is technically news so creative writing is not only allowed but oft expected.

As for the quality of AI writing there is an unfortunate deadline with web-based tech news but I'd like see more proofreading. Hell, I'd like to hire a proofreader for my comments on AI. Of all the spelling and structure issues that we read I think this one far and away the least offensive or confusing.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have an Interactive Brokers account .... $536.15 up 1.11 %

No link without login password.

use this site for pre and post market AAPL quotes. it's usually pretty accurate. just type in "AAPL" under stock symbol (upper right)

http://www.marketwatch.com/
  • Reply 106 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I doubt it is true but as long as I can turn it off it doesn't matter one way or the other to me. Seems completely useless though because it would appear to interfere with the traditional iOS method of using the touch interface.

It doesn't need to be all or nothing...

Initially, it could only be activated when the virtual kbs are displayed -- and only for that area of the display.

Later, the OS UI could evolve to incorporate touch gestures with this additional dimension -- feel.

• Reply 107 of 129
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I hate to rain on this, but my hopes are low. Senseg?s statements to CNet 3 months ago make it seem like this is being aimed at multiple vendors and could be up to 24 months (now 21) from the market.

I don?t see how that jibes with delivery today: if Apple had a hand in Senseg?s video spot on CNet, then they would have simply not allowed the spot at all! Senseg would have gone dark. And if Apple did NOT have a hand in it, then why wasn?t Senseg confident of delivery in less than 12 months? This can?t have been finalized more recently than 3 months ago, if it?s shipping by the thousands this month! Can it? Seems like a long shot.

I bet Apple HAS shown some interest at least. Maybe it?s not ready yet, maybe it never will be... but maybe it?s coming from Apple! I just don?t think today.
  • Reply 108 of 129
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Every PR firm in the country should be releasing press releases right now (or better yet a few days ago) saying "We won't have any announcement until after the Apple event." Would that be considered stock manipulation since even if you have nothing to announce it's a true statement?
  • Reply 109 of 129
    Jesus Christ ....

This is incredible!!

The only thing that'd put a nice touch on everything is a pre-recorded message from Steve ....
  • Reply 110 of 129
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What is the power cost of this technology? If it lowers battery life by any measurable percentage then there'd have to be a pretty compelling reason to include it. And if people are just going to turn it off to save battery life, then what's the point of including it?

It does have the sound of one of those "what would I ever use that for?" technologies that once you have it (and it is implemented well) you think, "How did I live without this?".

- Jasen.
  • Reply 111 of 129
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

What is the power cost of this technology? If it lowers battery life by any measurable percentage then there'd have to be a pretty compelling reason to include it. And if people are just going to turn it off to save battery life, then what's the point of including it?

It does have the sound of one of those "what would I ever use that for?" technologies that once you have it (and it is implemented well) you think, "How did I live without this?".

- Jasen.

It has a 5% impact on battery life when always on.

However in normal use it is only on when there is a touch being registered.
  • Reply 112 of 129
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=139

I am puzzled by why this would come as a surprise to anybody.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post

I'm puzzled why you? never mind. Of course it's a surprise. The tech was stated by its creator to be multiple years out. We'll just have to see.
  • Reply 114 of 129
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

BrailPad

Could this be a device that changes the lives of the visually disabled?

That was one of the first things I thought of when I read the article. If it would allow for Braille, that would provide an alternative to a screen reader for the blind. It would also give an option to those who are both blind and deaf.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Who has live feeds?

If you mean of the announcement, AI, Arstechnica and Engadget for sure. Engadget always gives me the least trouble so I've had it up and read for about 3 hrs now. If you mean stock prices, I can't help you
  • Reply 115 of 129
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=139

Oh, that was YOU that started that rumour? Man, YOU are clever.

This is not a vibration feedback system, of course. And its not as if it hasn't been discussed before, such as when the iPhone first launched and everybody was dissing the glass surface. \
  • Reply 116 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

- Jasen.

To be practical it has to be low-power... It appears to be electrostatic so, possibly, an initial charge could be maintained with a periodic refresh.

But, just think about visiting a shopping site and being able run your hands across a wooden surface or feel the texture of a fabric, leather or skin...

Think of a 3D app where you push gelatinous blobs of finger paint around the screen...

If it is hardware -- with not, yet, fully baked software... they could limit it to a virtual kb option -- and release it as a beta ala Siri...

I'm certain that Apple would only do this if it has some exclusive agreement for the technology.

• Reply 117 of 129
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Man, the obsession with the author's use of the word "ambitious" cracks me up. I imagine reading Mark Twain would # you up really good. Notice that virtually all language about the mind is metaphorical and composed of incommensurate adjectives and nouns: (I pictured in my head, I visualized, my mind is clear, I can't "handle" your point of view, that person isn't very "bright,"...metaphor is a crucial and routine facet of language). This isn't "creativity" or "wit." It's just normal use of language. That you're not used to it says more about your experience with language than it does about the aptitude of the author....and that you might be reading proportionally way too much literal, dry tech writing.
  • Reply 118 of 129
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Here's hoping if they do include it, that it isn't just a gimmick like 3D or something. Once Apple goes down that route it's really the beginning of the end.

Nice little anti-3D poison pill you've embedded there, and "beginning of the end" is a bit too shrieky for me to ignore.

If Apple does do a glasses-free 3D display, it will be switchable to 2D so people without good binocular vision?or people maybe like yourself with an abhorrance of stereo vision's extra weight of stimulus?can use the device as if it were old-fashioned flat picture. Or, they will make both a 2D and a separate 3D device, and charge more for the latter. Or something like this. It would not be done without the deliberation of many minds, including Steve Jobs's Pixar-focused mind, and Jony Ive's fully engaged senses. It won't be the beginning of the end, except maybe for . . . those who want the pictorial world to remain flat.

Also, Apple may skip the 3D screen altogether and just come out with their patented stereo video glasses. Those you wouldn't have to buy or even look into.
  • Reply 119 of 129
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    This is a wild guess but what if Apple found a way to convert text on the new iPad's screen into braille so blind people can use it too. Blind people have very good touch sensitivity and could sense the smallest of differences. Now that would be historic.

Edit: I see a few others beat me to this idea.
  • Reply 120 of 129
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    I'm now thinking there might be something to this. This rumor is all over the tech blogs. The last time something like this happened was when a late rumor saying the iPhone 4S would be an LTE device burned up the blogs just before that announcement. There seemed to be specific leaks to trusted writers before the keynote to slap that down.

This morning? Radio silence.