Apple's third-gen iPad rumored to feature 'never before seen touch technology'

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    This seems too gimmicky. Touch feedback that gives only a sense of surface roughness has limited utility. Apple rarely goes for gimmicks (when they do, it's an app or an accessory, but not a main product feature). Really haptic feedback provides realistic sensation of shape and mechanical stiffness, but that type of technology is nowhere near the point where it can be embedded in a tablet.
  • Reply 122 of 129
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    That hepatic feed back is passé, IMHO. The real deal is a surface that actually morphs! Go Google it and you'll find folks working on re-confirgurable surfaces. I think Sony is working on such a technology.

Now, imagine if that tech was ready for prime time along with flexible HD displays.

That's where the money is!!!!
  • Reply 123 of 129
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Rumor was false
  • Reply 124 of 129
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Rumor was false

Yes, I would love it if AI kept a separate place to put all of these rumors that didn't pan out.
  • Reply 125 of 129
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yes, I would love it if AI kept a separate place to put all of these rumors that didn't pan out.

Ah, most of these last minute rumors never pan out. Though I am wondering where the new case is. It sounds like the measurements did not change and I want one for my iPad2.
  • Reply 126 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Despite advances in cloud storage, no one has that many TBs available.
  • Reply 127 of 129
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Ah, most of these last minute rumors never pan out. Though I am wondering where the new case is. It sounds like the measurements did not change and I want one for my iPad2.

....or the new dock connector.....or the 2 secret features.....or Siri.....or the $80 increase in price.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Despite advances in cloud storage, no one has that many TBs available.

Exactly!
  • Reply 128 of 129
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    See that heck of a home button?

It's good to feel the Universe is still our cozy home while the universal constants are in their place.

Quote:

01-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Until now embedded code couldn't be left on its own devices inside processors without two things: physically generated external interrupt and watchdog timer.

Apple may eventually revolutionize this as well, but I don't think they will any soon. They may change form factor and remove that button onto the bezel, for example, but they will hardly trust software with generating external interrupt.

• Reply 129 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

That hepatic feed back is passé, IMHO. The real deal is a surface that actually morphs! Go Google it and you'll find folks working on re-confirgurable surfaces. I think Sony is working on such a technology.

Now, imagine if that tech was ready for prime time along with flexible HD displays.

That's where the money is!!!!

Hepatic feedback? What does a liver have to do with this?

As for haptic feedback, you don't have an opinion on it because you don't know what it is.