Apple rumored to use 'slim bezel display' for 7.85-inch iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 132
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Are these comments about the sandpaper jokes are do people really think Jobs said a smaller touchscreen was not possible?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Zooming is still required on a 9.7 Tablet. News sites in particular are link heavy. If people can manage on an iPhone 3.5 then it really strains credulity to attempt to tell them that web surfing on a device that is over twice as large would be difficult.

It waould be over 5x the display area.
    3.5" 3:2 = 5.65" sq (1.94" x 2.91")

7.85" 4:3 = 29.6" sq (4.72" x 6.27")

9.7" 4:3 = 45.19" sq (5.83" x 7.75")
  • Reply 62 of 132
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I don't believe these 7-8 inch iPad rumors.

I feel like I have to go on record and say that I believe Apple will release a smaller tablet within a year's time. I don't credit DigiTimes, I just believe it will happen and I believe it will sell...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Apple does not follow anyone. They won't release a 7" tablet to compete with the fire or any other tablet unless Apple has decided there is a market.

I agree they won't do it to "be like the Fire" they will do it because they think they can sell it. Certainly, they are not always the first. They made the MP3 market great, but they wern't first there. I remember that the rumors of a flash memory iPod were scorned by some, but Apple covered the WHOLE market from cheapest to most costly by the end. I assume they will find a way to do that profitably in the tablet arena...
  • Reply 63 of 132
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Plus I really like Android 3.2 and 4.03, give me a open source OS any day.

I disagree. Give me a closed source OS. I've seen what havoc Open Source has done on Android. That App store is an atrocity.

BTW- If a 16GB iPad 2 with 3G costs Apple $248 to make, I'm sure they can make a much smaller screen, battery, no 3G/4G, 8GB, etc. and have a $199 7" iPod/iPad- Replace the iPod Touch, and still make a fortune.
  • Reply 64 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

keep in mind the 7" screen will probably have a resolution of 1024x768 (same as ipad and ipad2) so its a very easy fit, with no issues for developers supporting yet another setup.

This isn't a windowed OS. If you go with a new UI that have the size you have adjust all the elements. Scaling down to smaller icons and buttons on a touchscreen isn't going to work. This is what Jobs had an issue with. Tablets were hitting the market with the same UI for a 7" and 10" tablet. He said that the current 7" were DOA... he was right.

Quote:

only issue is price

the 16Gb ipod touch is 299

and the 16Gb ipad 2 is 399

so will this be $349?

and who would pay 349 for a 7" mini ipad when for only 50$ more they get the ipad 2?

unless this will replace the ipad 2

You've hit on a major marketing issue.
  • Reply 65 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

BTW- If a 16GB iPad 2 with 3G costs Apple $248 to make, I'm sure they can make a much smaller screen, battery, no 3G/4G, 8GB, etc. and have a $199 7" iPod/iPad- Replace the iPod Touch, and still make a fortune.

That's what Apple charges for an 8GB iPod Touch with a 3.5" TN panel and a lot less HW features than the iPad.
  • Reply 66 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Jobs had no problem developing a Touch device employing a 3.5-inch screen and the reason is that there is a point to having a device small enough to slip into one's pocket. Some are claiming that a 7-inch device is that portable but I just don't see it. iPad has one segment covered, namely a portable device not intended to be pocketed. The Touch covers the pocket segment and all it needs to be just right is to grow a little larger because you can pocket a device that is a little larger than the current Touch. As you reduce size to allow a device to be pocketed, you are losing something in a tablet so the question is, how large can a device be while remaining a pocket-friendly unit. That should be Apple's next target.

You were responding to my camera iPad thing and I'd say a smaller device that 7.85 would probably match that idea better. In the end, I think there's room for a larger iPod or smaller iPad and Apple just needs to find the BEST reason for it to exist so it can work out the details.

IF there is a 7.85" iPad coming to market, it certainly won't be marketed as a response to the Kindle Fire. It will be marketed towards some other well-planned purpose.
  • Reply 67 of 132
    how about a 7 inch tablet with a stylus.... no wait, that would suck.
  • Reply 68 of 132
    On the topic of LARGE iPads that has been brought up. I LOVE messing with iPhoto on the iPad now. Fixing photos, making journals. Better than the desktop experience and more convenient because sometimes you want to fix photos near the event where you took them.

Still, as I'm using this multitouch input that is slowly evolving into something really useful, I just want to get an iMac that let's me turn it down to a 45 degree angle, rest my arms on it and let me use iPad apps... only the buttons would be massive, I know. Plus, I want to play large board games on it... *sigh*.

The mouse driven apps are still necessary for many purposes, but there are some great multitouch use-cases for large screens now.

It's just not even around the corner, like completely user on demand movies and TV for all movies and shows. Easy to see in the mind's eyes and too much earth to move to lay a road to it.
  • Reply 69 of 132
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    The 7" iPad will be in my hands by Christmas this year and all the doubters on here will be eating their words with a large dose of humble pie and custard
  • Reply 70 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

I don't like the idea of a smaller iPad and nor do i think they're gonna sell a smaller one.

iPad is THE ORIGINAL PAD and they should not copy others like evil Samsung etc.

They may not sell a "smaller" iPad, but Apple sure could sell a larger iPod. While speaking about narrower bezels, check out the bezel on a iPod Touch. Now THAT'S small!
  • Reply 71 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

On the topic of LARGE iPads that has been brought up. I LOVE messing with iPhoto on the iPad now. Fixing photos, making journals. Better than the desktop experience and more convenient because sometimes you want to fix photos near the event where you took them.

Still, as I'm using this multitouch input that is slowly evolving into something really useful, I just want to get an iMac that let's me turn it down to a 45 degree angle, rest my arms on it and let me use iPad apps... only the buttons would be massive, I know. Plus, I want to play large board games on it... *sigh*.

The mouse driven apps are still necessary for many purposes, but there are some great multitouch use-cases for large screens now.

It's just not even around the corner, like completely user on demand movies and TV for all movies and shows. Easy to see in the mind's eyes and too much earth to move to lay a road to it.

Just use an iTouch Pad with your iMac, or output the iPad to your iMac or TV.

Think Different!
  • Reply 72 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

They may not sell a "smaller" iPad, but Apple sure could sell a larger iPod. While speaking about narrower bezels, check out the bezel on a iPod Touch. Now THAT'S small!

THe smaller the device the smaller the bezel can be as you can more easily cup it in your hand as the size decreases, but I think 7.85" is still quite large.
  • Reply 73 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Is there a reason why you failed to mention the Touch?

The Touch is no better that the iPhone. There is a market for a device that is lighter, can fit into a coat pocket but is bigger than 3.5". There is no reason Apple has to be one size fits all. I do think they will see that market and take it.

I think the Touch will either be discontinued or reduced in price (and possibly storage) to make the space for the smaller iPad. It already is a second tier device and is barely upgraded anymore. iPhone gives you the iPod and phone.
  • Reply 74 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

The iPhone nano will be in my hands by Christmas this year and all the doubters on here will be eating their words with a large dose of humble pie and custard

Just saying.
  • Reply 75 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Just use an iTouch Pad with your iMac, or output the iPad to your iMac or TV.

Think Different!

Really not close to what I was thinking of and I have tried those options. I just want a big screen iPad with all the interface scaled to fingertip size when I lay down my iMac. Requires many things to change at once unfortunately, so I'll just have to wait for the slow change.

Nice of you to try and help out though.
  • Reply 76 of 132
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    That's the market. Apple have just pushed out the TextBooks Author program and now what's needed is a Primary/Highschool-ffordable iPad to be able to read these textbooks.
  • Reply 77 of 132
    I'm neutral on this matter. If it happens, I wouldn't be surprised. If it doesn't, that wouldn't surprise me either. If Apple decides to do it they must have a good reason for doing it. If not, there must be just as many good reasons as well. I myself don't see a need for one but I can see why some people would want it.

I travel a lot around the world and airports and inside of airplanes are a good place to see what's being used and what's not. I do see a decent number of people using smaller 7" tablets although the iPad is definitely the majority amongst people using a tablet. I also see less and less Kindles (just the e-readers) as it's obvious people want more than just books on their devices.

Whether a 7.85" iPad would be incremental business is a hard one to call but it's quite apparent that Apple is hellbent on dominating the emerging tablet sector in the same way it dominates the music player market with the iPod. The form factor would have to be right or it wouldn't really work. My gut feeling is that it's not necessary but we'll just have to see.
  • Reply 78 of 132
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just saying.

Did you mean iPad Nano?

I'm not really interested in an iPhone Nano. I'd rather they make the iPod Nano a bit smaller and add bluetooth so you can wear it as a watch, then link it to the iPhone so you can answer calls, see RSS feeds and tweets, etc all from your iPod Nano rather than having to get your iPhone out.
  • Reply 79 of 132
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

The Touch is no better that the iPhone. There is a market for a device that is lighter, can fit into a coat pocket but is bigger than 3.5". There is no reason Apple has to be one size fits all. I do think they will see that market and take it.

I think the Touch will either be discontinued or reduced in price (and possibly storage) to make the space for the smaller iPad. It already is a second tier device and is barely upgraded anymore. iPhone gives you the iPod and phone.

Assuming that a 7.8 iPad comes to market I think it will be a home run, but I don't see them discontinuing the iPod touch. If anything I see them discontinuing the iPad 2 so there will be three devices and three sizes. A 7.8" size would cannibalize both its larger and smaller brethren but so it would even out.

As much as everyone is saying it makes no sense for Apple to introduce a new size, I would argue that it makes equally no sense NOT to. If tablets are overtaking PC sales and are becoming the favoured computing device for most people it makes no sense not to broaden the pallet. Apple has four different sizes of laptops to cater for different requirement.

I don't think a 7.8" version would be viewed as a budget alternative. The price would be competitive but not the cheapest.

A 7.8" iDevice would be fantastic in so many respects that I can't see it not happening. SOmehow, at some point.
  • Reply 80 of 132
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I have yet to see any of those advocating for a 7 inch iPad address the issue of app sizes.

It's hard enough to get developers to make TWO versions of their apps, let alone THREE. iPhone apps would be huge on a 7 inch iPad, but is that magnification useful enough for consumers to want it? iPad apps would be small to the point where many couldn't be used on a smaller screen.