Apple rumored to use 'slim bezel display' for 7.85-inch iPad

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

photo

Right, I'm a fan of six columns now. And it doesn't even cause any problems with moving apps between Home Screens! Just move the activator for movement between Home Screens directly to the very edge of the screen instead of the slightly nebulous area to both sides of the columns.
  • Reply 122 of 132
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That is NOT a reduction by 90%. That looks like it might be a reduction to 90% of it's original size. A reduction by 90% would make the icons 1/10th their normal size which means the icons would take up 8x8 pixels when rounded up.

1) The buyer should always get the product that they think fits their needs best.

2) Since you've presented this hypothetical as only using multiple codecs collected over a very long time that includes video the only answer is a tablet that can play every potential codec either out of the box or with an add on. You've phrased in a way that is not a fallacious argument but it's a niche hypothetical geared to only allow the the Android tablet to be the only option. I think there is a philosophical term for that kind of statement but I can't think of it.

No I'm actually really asking my neighbors have a hard drive that is filled with tons of movies. Some are Divx some are MP4, some are even in Real player. They really want a iPad so I was thinking of Jail Breaking it so I can read the SD card reader from the photo expansion kit. Then install VLC. Do you know of a better video program that I can use. I told them that this all can be done easily with a Android tablet believe me.
  • Reply 123 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

Do you have a better video program that I can use.

It is my professional (read: personal) opinion that they should probably just throw everything into HandBrake and make it all M4V. And then when HEVC is added to HandBrake, convert everything again.

But yeah, it sounds like if they don't want to do any work to their existing library, they'll need an Android tablet.
  • Reply 124 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It is my professional (read: personal) opinion that they should probably just throw everything into HandBrake and make it all M4V. And then when HEVC is added to HandBrake, convert everything again.

But yeah, it sounds like if they don't want to do any work to their existing library, they'll need an Android tablet.

It's 4 o'clock in the morning there holding both my iPad2 and my Samsung Galaxy in their hand. They really want the iPad, it;s my fault I showed them the Korg apps. Their must be a one stop shopping video player for the iPad.
  • Reply 125 of 132
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

No I'm actually really asking my neighbors have a hard drive that is filled with tons of movies. Some are Divx some are MP4, some are even in Real player. They really want a iPad so I was thinking of Jail Breaking it so I can read the SD card reader from the photo expansion kit. Then install VLC. Do you have a better video program that I can use.

There are plenty of App Store apps that do what VLC does(did). I like CineXPlayer but I don't think it plays Real. It's really good for AVIs and hopefully now for HD MKVs with that new GPU in the iPad 3.

Anyone who is hoarding a lot of old videos that they haven't gotten rid of or converted to a more modern codec using one of the many free and great solutions is something I don't understand. Are we talking home movies or VHS and DVD rentals they copied? Regardless, picking a device specifically to play the most archaic codecs possible instead of investing in 21st century options is simply holding back progress, IMO.

And what music codecs would this be? MP3 is old and it's still used today. If he has something older it's likely also a low bit rate. On top of that, audio is much faster than video to convert so why not convert it.
  • Reply 126 of 132
    Quote:

Their must be a one stop shopping video player for the iPad.

Nope. Not that I know of, at least. Apple's stuff will play what they play perfectly. VLC should do MKV stuff with reasonable quality, though not with the same interface as Apple's stuff.

And if you're trying to view WMV or AVI content this side of 200x, I don't know what to tell you.
  • Reply 127 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

The Touch is no better that the iPhone. There is a market for a device that is lighter, can fit into a coat pocket but is bigger than 3.5". There is no reason Apple has to be one size fits all. I do think they will see that market and take it.

I think the Touch will either be discontinued or reduced in price (and possibly storage) to make the space for the smaller iPad. It already is a second tier device and is barely upgraded anymore. iPhone gives you the iPod and phone.

Yes but at what cost. The iPhone is a lot more expensive to buy and the Touch costs nothing to maintain.
  • Reply 128 of 132
    Quote:

There are plenty of App Store apps that do what VLC does(did). I like CineXPlayer but I don't think it plays Real. It's really good for AVIs and hopefully now for HD MKVs with that new GPU in the iPad 3.

Anyone who is hoarding a lot of old videos that they haven't gotten rid of or converted to a more modern codec using one of the many free and great solutions is something I don't understand. Are we talking home movies or VHS and DVD rentals they copied? Regardless, picking a device specifically to play the most archaic codecs possible instead of investing in 21st century options is simply holding back progress, IMO.

And what music codecs would this be? MP3 is old and it's still used today. If he has something older it's likely also a low bit rate. On top of that, audio is much faster than video to convert so why not convert it.

Right, good idea I just broke out the old Macbook Air and have connected the drive. Oh man there's even MPEG 2 stuff in here where they converted old movies from VHS, Well, the Divx and MP4 stuff I'll leave alone the rest I'll make a HandBrake playlist and start converting. This is going to take a very long time.

Thanks for the help, I totally forgot about Handbrake.
  • Reply 129 of 132
    kmareikmarei Posts: 199member
    Quote:

That is NOT a reduction by 90%. That looks like it might be a reduction to 90% of it's original size. A reduction by 90% would make the icons 1/10th their normal size which means the icons would take up 8x8 pixels when rounded up.

Correct

That's what I initially said

Its going to look silly if the iPad 3 still has the 4x4 icon setting on home screen plus the dock
  • Reply 130 of 132
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Right, good idea I just broke out the old Macbook Air and have connected the drive. Oh man there's even MPEG 2 stuff in here where they converted old movies from VHS, Well, the Divx and MP4 stuff I'll leave alone the rest I'll make a HandBrake playlist and start converting. This is going to take a very long time.

Thanks for the help, I totally forgot about Handbrake.

MPEG-2, especially if it's a direct VOB copy from a DVD, will save you a lot of room going to H.264.

BTW, I suggest using the MP4 container over the MKV container. Not just because of support but because MP4 is a better container.
  • Reply 131 of 132
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

I use both a 9.7" tablet as well as a 7" tablet, and both have their uses.

Main problem with a 9.7" tablet is, you're always walking around with your tablet, whereas the 7" tablet can be put in a pocket (jacket preferably So for business use, where you're not using it 100% of the time a 7" tablet is much easier to carry along.

The 7" tablet already has a much slimmer bezel than the iPad, and because you can hold in on one hand (between thumb and finger even), the bezel can easily be slimmed down more.

I'd like to put to rest the argument that a 7" tablet is "pocket-able".

Doing the math. The current iPad has a 9.7" screen with about a .75" bezel. That makes the device roughly 9.3" x 7.3"

A 7.85" iPad with maybe a slightly smaller bezel (let's say .5" for argument's sake), and the same screen aspect ratio, would be roughly 7.3" x 5.7".

The Current iPhone 4 is 2.3" x 4.5"...trying holding it width-wise in ONE HAND and try to see how comfortable it is.

The PS Vita is roughly 7.2" x 3.3" x 0.7" with a 5" screen size.

The Kindle Fire is roughly 7.5" x 4.7"...Which I also don't believe is pocket-able.

A CD Jewel Case (5.59" x 4.92" x 0.39")...Which arguably is the largest comparable object that can comfortably fit in most people's pockets. And would not be comfortable in my pockets...granted I wear size medium Jackets and 30" waist pants...so even this is a bit tight for me.

The Widest thing i'd want to hold in one hand is a standard coffee mug, which is around 3.25" - 3.5" wide

Given all this above...I think I can safely conclude that to the average person, granted I am not the average person but a slightly smaller version...we can safely conclude that a 7.85" iPad is no more pocket-able than the real iPad...Nor would holding it in one hand be all that comfortable...deeming it really pointless to make one. And if you could fit the whole thing in your pocket, it' would be pretty tight.

Personally, I'd like to see a large screen format for the current iPod Touch and iPhone concurrently. The Current 3.5" screen just seems so small when using both and iPad and iPhone. I'd like to see them bump it up to around 4.8" (that makes it a roughly 5.4" x 2.9" device). That might put all the Kindles to rest finally. However I have read a couple articles about average reaching distances when holding a larger than iPhone device and it totally makes sense why Apple never increased the screen size, one could argue that a larger iPod Touch would make more sense for gaming.
  • Reply 132 of 132
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I'd like to put to rest the argument that a 7" tablet is "pocket-able".

Doing the math. The current iPad has a 9.7" screen with about a .75" bezel. That makes the device roughly 9.3" x 7.3"

A 7.85" iPad with maybe a slightly smaller bezel (let's say .5" for argument's sake), and the same screen aspect ratio, would be roughly 7.3" x 5.7".

The Current iPhone 4 is 2.3" x 4.5"...trying holding it width-wise in ONE HAND and try to see how comfortable it is.

The PS Vita is roughly 7.2" x 3.3" x 0.7" with a 5" screen size.

The Kindle Fire is roughly 7.5" x 4.7"...Which I also don't believe is pocket-able.

A CD Jewel Case (5.59" x 4.92" x 0.39")...Which arguably is the largest comparable object that can comfortably fit in most people's pockets. And would not be comfortable in my pockets...granted I wear size medium Jackets and 30" waist pants...so even this is a bit tight for me.

The Widest thing i'd want to hold in one hand is a standard coffee mug, which is around 3.25" - 3.5" wide

Given all this above...I think I can safely conclude that to the average person, granted I am not the average person but a slightly smaller version...we can safely conclude that a 7.85" iPad is no more pocket-able than the real iPad...Nor would holding it in one hand be all that comfortable...deeming it really pointless to make one. And if you could fit the whole thing in your pocket, it' would be pretty tight.

I have a 7" Android tablet, and it fits in my back jeans pocket (albeit snugly), and easily fits in the pockets of most jackets that I own. It also fits in my glove box and my map pockets in my car. My iPad fits in none of those places.