First look: Apple's new third-generation iPad with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 161 of 307
    Checked it out in person at the local Apple Store. Yes, the screen really is beautiful and everything definitely felt spiffier than on my iPad 2. Apple will easily sell 70 million+ of the new iPad this year. That being said, having bought two iPad 2s last year (one for the wife and kids), I'm going to pass on this one and will upgrade next year. But I will be out there telling other family members, relatives, friends, and colleagues who don't have a tablet that it's now a great time to take the plunge.
  • Reply 162 of 307
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Gaaagus....

I got mine about 1/2 hour ago... the Fedex delivery guy said he had about 30 on his truck and they had 1,600 in the Fedex depot in Pacheco CA -- SF East Bay.

The dictation is fantastic!

I noticed you can use the new iPad while it is syncing apps -- a great feature since it takes a couple of hours to sync the 603 apps I had on my iPad 2.

Rear camera is significantly better!

No problems with connector cable!

Hey, you wanker. You have more apps than I have!
  • Reply 163 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

I have a folio case, perfect fit.

Does anyone else think the sound output is louder?

Apple states that the sound from Tv and movies is louder and clearer.
  • Reply 164 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

'just fired up Infinity Blade 2 with the new retina update. It doesn't quite deliver on the promised 2048x1536. There is practically no difference between the pre- and post- retina version (I checked before updating). Hopefully Real Racing 2 and Modern Combat 2 will be different (it is in "waiting" state).

Oh, I disagree! I opened on both the 2, and the new one at the same time. Look at the opening sequence with the figure Stan dint at the right side. You will see a big difference in the aliasing at the edges of the figure. The older version on the 2 has much more. Noticeable differences in the scenery as well. I'm seeing it on everything I look at.

What I like that Apple has finally done is to allow the retina resolution phone apps to appear in their retina resolution instead of forcing the low resolution version on the iPad as before. This makes a big difference, and makes phone apps, which before were mostly unusable, or very annoying, a pleasure to use in the 2x magnified state.

This is a major useage advance.
  • Reply 165 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I just noticed something else. I can't stand iPhone apps, because you have to upscale them 2X, but in a few cases, there's no other choice.

I just opened up my trading app on both the iPad2 and iPad3, and the iPhone app looks way better and sharper on the new iPad on fullscreen. I have both iPads side by side. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even look like an iPhone app that's been scaled up anymore.

Yeah, I just posted that in my rep,y to the post just above yours.

It seems that with over 200,000 iPad apps available, Apple is no longer worried about phone apps with retina resolution impeding iPad app development. They could have done this for the old iPad, as even in 1x magnification, as we can see now, retina iPhone apps would have filled most of the screen, and would have looked just fine. As they say: Better late than never. Now I can use some of those phone only apps I deleted from the iPad some ti e ago.
  • Reply 166 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I noticed immediately I can read and post to AI forums without zooming in... fantastic for these 72-year-old eyes.

Hey, you're ten years older than me. I had no idea! But you're right. I found that with my iPhone 4, and now the 4S, I could read type that was far too small to read before, not only on the phone, but in a magazine. The contrast on these screens is so much better, that the type "pops". Same thing with the new iPad.

What's interesting, now that I've had this thing since 8:15 am, is that while at first, I was specifically looking for places where type was sharper, and I was going from web site to web site, app to app, and book to book, I've calmed down. But in doing so, I'm finding that the experience is even more impressive.

I know that some people just hate superlatives when describing Apple's products, but the screen is just otherworldly. Very hard to describe to someone who hasn't used it. The writers who say that going back to the older models is impossible, are correct. Use this for a while, and try the older model, and it's actually difficult. Everything now looks horrible. And the older screens were pretty good. I've been using them for two years!. But the text always did bother me in sizes smaller than 12 point, on screen. And even that had some rendering problems.

I have found a couple of things that are not perfect though. The first is that Apple has the brightness a bit too low. If it's set a bit higher, the whites get much whiter and lose most of that magenta look, and everything becomes better separated. The other problem, at least on my unit, is that there is a bit of magenta/green crossover. For those who don't know what that means, it's when the contrast of one, or more colors is different from the others. In this case it means that the magenta/green, which is one color actually, has a contrast that is greater than the red/cyan and blue/yellow colors. So shadows are going magenta, and lighter colors are going green. But there is another change in the highlights back to magnets.

One thing I always hoped Apple would do, is to allow companies to gain access to the color controls of the device so that we could plug a monitor calibration device in the connector, and correct the screen. I bought a calibrator that uses a connection the the Mac to do this for the iPad, but you must view photos and graphics through their own app on the iPad for the correction to function. There is a difference, and it does make the colors better, and more to standards. I'll calibrate this during the weekend. With the higher saturation it will work better as there's more room to move. But a true screen calibration ability would make such a big difference that I wish I could force Apple to allow that.

The individual colors are purer and cleaner though as it is.
  • Reply 167 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

iPad is a better experience in many ways. Touchpad is more versatile though.

That is GOOD satire!
  • Reply 168 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

or a jerk.

Enough! I will begin handing out points, and deleting posts if this continues.
  • Reply 169 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My iPad display is still not as bright as I'd like.

I think it also might look a little yellowy but that might be because i"m used to my Mac's display.

Still, no complaints. 2048x1536 display is incredible. Text looks great. I'm glad Amazon knew they had to get that Kindle app updated ASAP.

It's pretty bright if you turn it up a bit. I noticed that it was too dim, at their setting. Turning it up a bit cleans up the whites considerably.
  • Reply 170 of 307
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's pretty bright if you turn it up a bit. I noticed that it was too dim, at their setting. Turning it up a bit cleans up the whites considerably.

It's at 100% with Auto Adjust turned off. The iPad has never been as bright as I'd like.
  • Reply 171 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveNash View Post

My iPad has the same yellowy cast it. Also the color matrix has been changed ( for the worse ).

Play this HD test video on a iPad2 and New iPad then look at the green/blue bar on the right side.... is it blue or purple. if you have a iPhone 4 play the same video and see if it matches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaqe1qesQ8c

Also my iPad really puts out the heat.... big difference in others.

Let me know what you see on yours

I mentioned in another post that there seems to be a slight magenta/green crossover. I see these things to a greater or lessor extent in all tablets so far. That accounts for the purple looking blue, as magenta added to blue makes purple.
  • Reply 172 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Yeah, that's why when I called a douchebag on here a douchebag he reported me and I got kicked off for a few days. The moderators on here, and attendant complainers, are sometimes ridiculous. When someone is an obvious douchebag, or clueless about what they are talking about, you should be able to be honest with them and let them know.

No, it would be you that ths the douchbag, if you used that kind of name calling. If you have no restraint, then it is you who are the problem. Politeness is still an issue. If you don't like what someone says, you can ignore the post, or point out the problems. If they still ignore you, you can turn them off so you don't see them.

But attacking them is childish, and childish behavior is punished in children everywhere.
  • Reply 173 of 307
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    I'm testing the video against the same thing I tested the ATV3 -- My Victoria's Secret Fashion Show video.

With all the glitter and jewels and everything else, it's a great test (it's also just a lot of incredibly hot women in lingerie). I've never seen any display this amazing. It's ridiculous. This is clearer than anything I've seen.

I mean, yeah, the reading is amazing. Text is improved by like 1000x. And as a comics reader, I absolutely love reading comics on this thing. But wow: this video is crazy!

And whoever said that you can see the details in the icons which are already in a folder, I couldn't agree more. There's this TINY little icon inside another icon, and I can tell immediately what it is, I can see the image the icon is projecting. That's INSANE!

I can't speak well to color balance, since I have a color deficiency. But the depth of color looks much more impressive than it is on my iMac. Hell, it looks a lot better than it looks on my Samsung HDTV.

Dictation is awesome. I love it. I'll be using it all the time. The whole thing seems much faster, maybe it's just my imagination. I don't honesty know. Reading on this thing is incredible. Now, where the hell I was in the middle of that novel, I have no idea!

This is my favorite gadget I've ever bought, and I thought for sure that it would be the iPhone 3S. Then I got the 4S. Then I got this.

I couldn't be happier.
  • Reply 174 of 307
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Just curious...

Any others seeing an unusual amount of 'screen bleeding' in the corners/edges of their 'new' iPads ?

I'm on the second one that suffers from it pretty badly, especially when compared to my GT 7.7's SAMOLED+ display (which has absolutely none).

• Reply 175 of 307
    Well I guess my problem is gaming with IB2 extensively on the iPhone 4 and 4S. Yes, antialising has improved, but at the expense of details.

I don't have any pic, but fire up IB2 on iPhone 4/4S and iPad (3rd Gen). You will notice that although the scenery definitely improved, the game characters themselves seem stuck in the previous resolution. Texture on the characters on iPhone is incredible next to the iPad. The HUD icons also looks washed out.

Modern Combat 3 is even worse- the characters look like they were blown up from iPhone resolution. However, this is probably more about Gameloft putting make up on a pig (their characters tend to be look crude).

I don't think it's the limitation of the device. I can definitely see the difference on retina native apps (non games). Hopefully, the developers release another update to bump up the resolution on the characters as well. Maybe they were being cautious that the games would slow down tremendously.

I can't wait for IB Dungeons to be released to see if the retina screen would be fully exploited by then. The new iPad's competition is the bar set by iPhone. I want my game characters to look as sharp and gorgeous on both devices.

Quote:

Oh, I disagree! I opened on both the 2, and the new one at the same time. Look at the opening sequence with the figure Stan dint at the right side. You will see a big difference in the aliasing at the edges of the figure. The older version on the 2 has much more. Noticeable differences in the scenery as well. I'm seeing it on everything I look at.

What I like that Apple has finally done is to allow the retina resolution phone apps to appear in their retina resolution instead of forcing the low resolution version on the iPad as before. This makes a big difference, and makes phone apps, which before were mostly unusable, or very annoying, a pleasure to use in the 2x magnified state.

This is a major useage advance.

• Reply 176 of 307
    -----
  • Reply 177 of 307
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Just curious...

Any others seeing an unusual amount of 'screen bleeding' in the corners/edges of their 'new' iPads ?

I'm on the second one that suffers from it pretty badly, especially when compared to my GT 7.7's SAMOLED+ display (which has absolutely none).

Gosh I just love that SAMOLED+ display, sure the Retna has rez going for it but the colors and how dark those blacks are, just yummy that's all. I love my Samsung 7.7 to, best tablet I have ever owned.
  • Reply 178 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverspeedy View Post

I only had room for a ukulele behind my iphone 4. How did you fit a viola?

There's always room for cello!

• Reply 179 of 307
    Got my hands on a new iPad yesterday. Superb screen with no bleed. I have a 2 and even though the screen was gorgeous it didn't compel me to upgrade

It felt just like a 2 but with better screen, plus I noticed it dit get more noticeably warmer.

I'm waiting for he 4 instead.
  • Reply 180 of 307
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Apple states that the sound from Tv and movies is louder and clearer.

That is nice to know. When flying economy the engine noise is too loud to hear the audio of a regular movie with dialogue. At least with the standard ear buds that is.