Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen

Comments

• Reply 41 of 181
    These giant phones with huge screens are ridiculous as phones and too small as tablets. I heard a reviewer on engadget call them phablets, which I hadn't heard before and think it's perfect. Since the dawn of cell phones the goal has been to make them smaller, until recently that is.

I still have the 3Gs and I'm quite pleased with the size. I think the 3.5" screen is the perfect size for this kind of device - a balance between maintaining a small form factor and a screen big enough for functionality.

When a larger screen is more ideal, it needs to be LARGER, and 4"-4.5" screens are still to small for that.
  • Reply 42 of 181
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

The point isn't to have something that qualifies as "Retina". The point is to have something where widgets and other elements appear to be physically the exact same size. Either this requires rescaling all art assets at non-integral values (something they explicitly decided against with the pixel-doubling design) or keeping the resolution density exactly the same.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to exactly match the physical dimensions or the same ppi. I just don't see how 10% larger is anything of a problem in this case, if they lower the display ppi slightly to make the screen larger without adding pixels. You wouldn't need need to change anything or scale anything.
  • Reply 43 of 181
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    LTE radio? Is this the reason for the stock plunge?
  • Reply 44 of 181
    I think the only advantage to Apple of moving up to a bigger screen is that it conceivably buys them extra internal space for battery, to counteract the more power intensive LTE chipset. By going to even a 4" screen, they could make the device a bit thinner but actually gain valuable internal real-estate.
  • Reply 45 of 181
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

I think the only advantage to Apple of moving up to a bigger screen is that it conceivably buys them extra internal space for battery, to counteract the more power intensive LTE chipset. By going to even a 4" screen, they could make the device a bit thinner but actually gain valuable internal real-estate.

The Qualcomm MDM9615 presumably to be used in the iPhone (6) is the 3rd gen LTE built on the 28nm lithography. That translates into LTE being more power efficient that the HSDPA found in the iPhone 3G. It might even be more power efficient than the 3GS. Combine that with the 28/32nm Apple A6 and some other component shrinkage and consolidation and you can probably get a larger battery in the same space with LTE being close to HSPA+ in the 4S.
  • Reply 46 of 181
    andreidandreid Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I'm not sold on LTE, based upon what they're reporting is happening with iPad usage. I'm not one to watch movies on my phone, so both a bigger screen and faster LTE really don't appeal to me. I'm all for moving forward, but I don't want to pay more for something that will make me use more data, forcing me to pay yet more.

I like the idea of Apple offering 3 size choices for mobile communication - iPhone for the small size, iPad for a better reading (and game playing) size and laptops like the mba for more than just consumption. That's my idea - make all of these products mobile communication devices where you can use one telco contract and simply transfer usage from one device to the other.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaioslider View Post

These giant phones with huge screens are ridiculous as phones and too small as tablets. I heard a reviewer on engadget call them phablets, which I hadn't heard before and think it's perfect. Since the dawn of cell phones the goal has been to make them smaller, until recently that is.

I still have the 3Gs and I'm quite pleased with the size. I think the 3.5" screen is the perfect size for this kind of device - a balance between maintaining a small form factor and a screen big enough for functionality.

When a larger screen is more ideal, it needs to be LARGER, and 4"-4.5" screens are still to small for that.

Well... some people understan exactly. Others not so much
  • Reply 47 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

If the screen rumor came from the same source as the dock connector rumor then it's all complete bullshit. No way Apple will change the dock connector and alienate billions of already sold accessories for the "i" line. One thing that keeps people buying idevices is the amount of stuff they have that works with them.

Do you really think someone will keep buying an iPhone if they have to buy a $600 speaker dock all over again. Some people just don't think. The reason Apple chose the proprietary dock connector in the first place is so they can freely adapt it's connectivity to any new standard they want to without having to modify the idevices.

Ultimately the dock connector will shrink or disappear. Maybe not next generation, but ultimately it will.

And of course the billions of accessories won't be "alienated" - you really don't think adapters will be available?
  • Reply 48 of 181
    Quote:

This is how I imagine the next-gen iPhone will work. A 4.5" screen at 1280x720 would have the exact same pixel density as the current iPhone. Then for apps that aren't updated to the new display, they could show as ...

or for apps that have top/bottom bars with a scroll view in the middle, they can scale ...

Never happen.

The problem with this idea is that Apple would have to change the aspect ratio for it to work. This would be great for watching movies but not for anything else and people use iOS devices for watching movies but it isn't the dominant or even primary use.
  • Reply 49 of 181
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I like the idea of Apple offering 3 size choices for mobile communication - iPhone for the small size, iPad for a better reading (and game playing) size and laptops like the mba for more than just consumption. That's my idea - make all of these products mobile communication devices where you can use one telco contract and simply transfer usage from one device to the other.

You can do that now with a Mobile Hotspot LTE, an old out of service iPhone and Skype. Buy a Skype number for $18 every three months. Then your iPad, MBA and old iPhone all use the wifi hotspot. AT&T charges $50 per month for 5 GB of LTE. Not quite as convenient as having three separate AT&T accounts but it is quite a bit cheaper. Or you could try some sort of tethering with a an iPhone.

I have the wireless hotspot just for my MBP and also have iPhone and iPad on AT&T.
  • Reply 50 of 181
    Quote:

I'm not sold on LTE, based upon what they're reporting is happening with iPad usage. I'm not one to watch movies on my phone, so both a bigger screen and faster LTE really don't appeal to me. I'm all for moving forward, but I don't want to pay more for something that will make me use more data, forcing me to pay yet more.

I am with you - I manage all of our company's' smart-phones (mostly Iphones) and I just don't care to see LTE features at this point. I have turned mine off on the new Ipad. If Apple comes out with the same form-factor AGAIN and just adds LTE this will be a very un-exciting announcement indeed IMO.
  • Reply 51 of 181
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I know Apple is stubborn and doesn't like to be seen to please the crowd, but I really can't believe they won't give the next iPhone a modern screen size. The iPhone's screen is so behind what the competition now offers it's pretty much stuck in feature phone territory. I don't think they even need change the resolution, as the iPhone's screen is high-res enough to handle 4" or even larger.

Ultimately it will be a business decision - is part of the reason why Android is outselling the iPhone so dramatically connected to Android's much larger screen sizes? If the answer is yes, then the next iPhone will have a larger screen.
  • Reply 52 of 181
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The iPhone's screen is so behind what the competition now offers it's pretty much stuck in feature phone territory.

They sure are selling a crap-load of them for something that's "stuck in feature phone territory."
  • Reply 53 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

If they bump up the screen size i won't even consider an upgrade from my 4S, till at least this current phone i own gets way too old to handle the apps or os (aprox 2-3 years).

Why do people want to use mini ipads near their ears is beyond my understanding. I've seen how fugly the Galaxy S II and the Note looks when held near the ear. Might aswell cut the BS and give the iPad a cell phone capability and go with that.

IMHO a bigger cellphone (more than 3,5 inch in screen) look as terrible when someone talks on it, as the iPad looks when shooting videos or taking stills. Not cool at all !

Moreover my one handed fingers reach any point of the screen very easily on the 3,5" display. Move over that and you have to seriously reposition the phone at the very extremities of the hand (dangerous) or use both hands (not useful sometimes).

Newsflash - people don't talk on the phone anymore. I'd struggle to think of the last time I a saw someone talking on a phone, and when they do, they use bluetooth ear pieces or their mic equipped headphones. Modern smart phones are first and foremost portable computers, and as you navigate your way around these using giant, chubby, human fingers, larger screens make for a hugely better experience.
  • Reply 54 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

They sure are selling a crap-load of them for something that's "stuck in feature phone territory."

Read my post. The screen size is feature phone size, obviously the phone itself is not a feature phone.

And if you look at the sales figures you'll see Android is demolishing the iPhone now. Surely Apple want to stop that, and preferably they'll do it through nice product design as opposed to patent disputes.
  • Reply 55 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

You will really like "the new iPhone"

This is what kills me. The real name is not "the new iPad" .. it's simply "iPad" ... when Apple releases a new macbook pro/air .. they always put "the new macbook pro/air" on the main page. But, it is not called "the new macbook pro/air", it's called "macbook pro/air". That is it. They are simply using the wording to designate old from new, and going back to a more simple naming. They've always done this until the iPhone 3G was introduced - but it was still called "iPhone". They never did MacBook 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. or Mac Pro 2, 3, 4 ... the simply put on the main apple page "The New Mac XXXXXX" or "Introducing the new Mac XXXXX".

I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone is so hung up on "the new" part - it's simply a designation. And, yes, incase people missed it, they've used "the new iPhone" on the main page before. Just because it doesn't have a 3 or LTE or 3LTE after the name people freak.

And at any rate, how is this "new" news? Is this not common sense??? I liked the comment of that tomorrow the sun will rise, etc. I think this was written just to post something.
  • Reply 56 of 181
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

...And if you look at the sales figures you'll see Android is demolishing the iPhone now. Surely Apple want to stop that, and preferably they'll do it through nice product design as opposed to patent disputes.

Android is "demolishing" the iPhone through sheer number of models primarily. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly larger screen on the next iPhone. However, even with a "nice design", I don't see them stopping the momentum of so many different Android models.
  • Reply 57 of 181
    I also wanted to add, I wouldn't mind a larger screen, but I don't want the form size to change. Before Verizon got the iPhone, I could have had Android phones, like the Motorola Droid maxx when it came out. But it was too big for my hands. My friends that had them have either got rid of them or complained at first that it was too big to hold. It was nice to use with 2 hands, but for phone calls, it got uncomfortable to hold. If anything, they should do an edge to edge screen - in the same form factor.
  • Reply 58 of 181
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member
    As an iPhone turned Android turned iPhone user I beg to differ. The Android phones while cool and all the are also rife with platform fragmentation, low end devices trying to do everything a high end device does and security issues. This isn't even mentioning the stuff the carriers put on them. My experience was bad enough for me to change back to an iPhone as I wanted a phone I didn't have screw around with and reboot twice a day to get it to work.

While I'm a technically minded user and was able to deal with it until I just got fed up, the normal user won't know how to remove a troublesome app that eats all the processor time (and thus the battery) or manage it to the point where it's stable most of the time. I think if they come out with a new/better device then we'll see another migration from 'droid to Apple.

The average consumer just wants something that .. well to somewhat quote Steve Jobs... "Just Works"... Apple does that quite well.. Android with it's multiple versions and hardware specs.. doesn't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Android is "demolishing" the iPhone through sheer number of models primarily. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly larger screen on the next iPhone. However, even with a "nice design", I don't see them stopping the momentum of so many different Android models.

• Reply 59 of 181
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

Is the latter even physically possible?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

There is no way I am upgrading unless I really like the name they give it.

Props.

Quote:

This is how I imagine the next-gen iPhone will work. A 4.5" screen at 1280x720 would have the exact same pixel density as the current iPhone.

Why would they move to 4:3 from 3:2? What purpose does a 4:3 screen serve in a phone?

Quote:

And if you look at the sales figures you'll see Android is demolishing the iPhone now.

Best selling phone in the world: iPhone 4S.

Second best selling phone in the world: iPhone 4.

Third best selling phone in the world: iPhone 3GS.

A two and a half year old iPhone outsells brand new Android devices. Apple couldn't care less about dozens of models.
  • Reply 60 of 181
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,811member
    My new iPhone 4S is the first iPhone I have ever owned. Overall I love it except for one thing, the screen seems so damned small. I am on Sprint so the 4S is the first option I have had for an iPhone. Prior to that I had an Evo with a 4.3" screen and prior to that a HTC Touch Pro II that ran Windows Mobile and even that old phone had a 3.6" screen.

Once you get used to a 4.3" or larger screen, it is really hard to get used to the iPhone's 3.5" screen. Sure the retina display is gorgeous but it still feels cramped, especially for typing. And for people that complain about larger screens not fitting in your pockets, that isn't true. The Evo easily fit in my pocket.

In a way I hope the rumor is true because I want to skip upgrading this year and wait for my update credit in 2013 to upgrade. A 3.5" screen would definitely not make me envious and want to upgrade early and then release a 4.6" iPhone in 2013. I could live with 4" though I would prefer larger. But if they keep the iPhone at 3.5" when it is time for me to upgrade I will definitely switch back to Android.