Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen

Comments

• Reply 141 of 181
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, welcome to the other side! See, over here, that stuff just doesn't matter. It's all about a single feature: having the idea put in your head that you want the feature, demanding that feature, not getting that feature, being furious at Apple because you were "entitled" to that feature, finally getting the feature in a future product, and then being furious with Apple because the feature has inherently changed how other features worked or doesn't work very well because you didn't want a different, actually important feature.

Right now it's "a larger screen". Before it was the vague thought of "a better camera", but that has mostly died down now.

BS. People have been wanting a bigger screen for many, many versions of the iPhone at this point. A larger screen would be better, and to think apple can't do that better than the android manufacturers have, by not making it a massive PHONE itself, is selling the company short.

People who don't want a bigger screen are misguided. They don't hate a bigger screen they just don't want a bigger phone. With an unchanged or very slight change in footprint, you'd have to be a complete idiot to say that a bigger screen would not be better. As the phone becomes more and more the center of people's computing overall, I think the need for a larger screen is real, and has real benefits, and is not some "fad" or marketing gimmick.

I'm sure there were people saying why in world would anyone need a larger screen in laptops, or the iMac.

As I read this thread some of the comments from the entrenched sound like pure lunacy in reasoning that the screen cannot or should not be increased in size. There are legit reasons for a person to not want a larger phone, but few people are using them, most of what I'm reading is pure mindless drivel. I see why it's been some time since I was on these boards.

Christ this ridiculous thread will keep me away for another few months.
  • Reply 142 of 181
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

BS. People have been wanting a bigger screen for many, many versions of the iPhone at this point.

Who are 'people'? People here? Sure, you see that. People in the world? Apparently not so much.

Quote:

A larger screen would be better…

Larger ≠ better.

Quote:

…to think apple can't do that better than the android manufacturers have, by not making it a massive PHONE itself, is selling the company short.

I never said that.

Quote:

People who don't want a bigger screen are misguided.

Or maybe we just don't want a big screen.

Quote:

They don't hate a bigger screen they just don't want a bigger phone.

Or maybe we just don't want a big screen.

Quote:

With an unchanged or very slight change in footprint, you'd have to be a complete idiot to say that a bigger screen would not be better.

Guess I'm a complete idiot! I always imagined, but it's nice to have confirmation from… one guy.

Quote:

As the phone becomes more and more the center of people's computing overall, I think the need for a larger screen is real, and has real benefits, and is not some "fad" or marketing gimmick.

Ah, but the phone isn't. The tablet is. And there's your big screen. And it'll get even bigger, not smaller.

Quote:

I'm sure there were people saying why in world would anyone need a larger screen in laptops, or the iMac.

Were there? I can see that back in the CRT days, and back then they had good reason to think that, but since LCDs became standard, have there really been people questioning screen size?

Quote:

I see why it's been some time since I was on these boards.

Christ this ridiculous thread will keep me away for another few months.

If you can't come to terms with the fact that some people just might not want the exact same things as you, should you really be bothering with this at all?
  • Reply 143 of 181
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

People who don't want a bigger screen are misguided. They don't hate a bigger screen they just don't want a bigger phone. With an unchanged or very slight change in footprint, you'd have to be a complete idiot to say that a bigger screen would not be better. As the phone becomes more and more the center of people's computing overall, I think the need for a larger screen is real, and has real benefits, and is not some "fad" or marketing gimmick.

You nailed it!
  • Reply 144 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

You nailed it!

If big screens were that important the 3GS would not have outsold ALL big screen android phones last year. It beat everyone.

Maybe people just want their phone to be a phone and not a tablet.

I am not opposed to a 3.7" or 4" tops. Over that is in obnoxious android territory.
  • Reply 145 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I hear this "phone not a tablet" argument over and over again which is not an argument really if the form factor is kept the same. I guess for you special 10-15% people who love their small screens apple could do full screen option easily turned off?

Seriously what would you people really miss with wide / edge-to-edge screen? Is the that really all about the archaic home button?
  • Reply 146 of 181
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

If big screens were that important the 3GS would not have outsold ALL big screen android phones last year. It beat everyone.

I am not opposed to a 3.7" or 4" tops. Over that is in obnoxious android territory.

One could argue that people want a larger phone, the way you're not opposed to one, but that iOS, the App Store ecosystem, and other HW aspects of the iPhone are so strong that a larger display isn't the most important factor to consider. Now that I've stated it I can say that sums be up completely.

I've said before that I'd like a larger display so long as I can still sweep the display with my thumb as effectively. I've also run the numbers and about 4.0" is about the maximum I think it could become with the same aspect ratio and still retaining their Retina Display definition for a 960x640 display for someone with 20/20(6/6) vision from 12" away.
    3438 x (1 ÷ 288.44 PPI) = 11.92"
    That of course requires the side bezel and/or side thickness/curvature to be lessened to accommodate. That barely makes it and I wonder if that would be acceptable for Apple. It's also the simplest for them and developers which translate into an easier transition for users.

Now if they wish to scrap all that and use a higher PPI they need to use a higher resolution. I calculate that 4.1" is about the maximum when using the same aspect ratio and trying to keep the thumb sweep about the same. Again, that would also need the bezel and/or side thickness/curvature to be adjusted to accommodate the thumb sweep.

If Apple is going add a new resolution and display size to their SDK and App Store then why not add a new aspect ratio. That said, I don't see Apple going this route in the same year they added a new resolution for the iPad. I think that is putting too much burden on the devs which would translate into a poor user experience for consumers.

PS: As previously noted in the thread one solution to get around this would be to use the same PPI as in the current iPhone and then just center the old iPhone apps until they can be updated. This would be a work around but historically Apple doesn't like workarounds, they like solutions. I figure they don't want devs to get comfortable with 'OK' solutions when they can help it.
  • Reply 147 of 181
    3eleven3eleven Posts: 87member
    I enjoy the 4S but seriously, it's time for a bigger screen. The current iPhone is a great size if your a 16yr old girl.

In all seriousness though I would drop my 4S in a heartbeat if Apple would just step up the screen size just a smidge.
  • Reply 148 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: As previously noted in the thread one solution to get around this would be to use the same PPI as in the current iPhone and then just center the old iPhone apps until they can be updated. This would be a work around but historically Apple doesn't like workarounds, they like solutions. I figure they don't want devs to get comfortable with 'OK' solutions when they can help it.

Nevertheless this is exactly what they need to do to make everyone happy: users, developers, press.

And how about 2x mode for iPhone apps running on iPad? Was it a workaround or solution?
  • Reply 149 of 181
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I appoligize if I upset anyone with my posts. I didnt mean to make anyone angry or call people names. Sometimes I forget how much Apple means to people. I have been fighting breast cancer for the last year and a half and I've been buying gadgets like their going out of style. I'm trying to do ten years of stuff in one year. So I have a lot of oppions when it comes to Apple vs. OTHERS.

What I found by doing something that I wouldn't normaly do when I was well is other companys make pretty great products to. On par with Apple's quality if not better in some cases.

I used to be a die hard Apple person and still own a quite of few Apple products that is why I still hang around here. I had a iPhone 4 to for a while, nice phone not many complaints but when the 4S came out I was already bored of the looks and OS. I'm sorry it's just my silly oppinion, you can't customize iOS, you can't give it a personality. So when I saw the Nokia N9 the last of its kind, Debian based, full multitasking, ultra rare white, pretty beyond belief, well it appealed to me more the continueing on with the what was basicly the same phone just better specs.

I hope this kind of explains my behaviour, I'm not all there at the moment to, I've had multiple operations in the last 2 weeks and I'm on morphine to boot. Plus I'm really angry at the world and really scared at the same time.

So again please for forgive my ramblings. Sometimes it's also hard for me to properly get my point across as English is not my 1st or even my 2nd language. I'll be more carefull in the future with my oppinions.
  • Reply 150 of 181
    Quote:

Nevertheless this is exactly what they need to do to make everyone happy: users, developers, press.

And they may deem that or some other solution as the best move going forward. There are many factors to consider here.

I don't mind when people say they think Apple will make a larger iPhone because of x, y, z or that they personally want a larger iPhone, but I do take issue when people state egocentric and ultimately irrational reason for why Apple should do as they say. (Not saying you, jason98, have done that).

Quote:

And how about 2x mode for iPhone apps running on iPad? Was it a workaround or solution?

That was certainly an exception. Note that even after the iPhone 4 came out that even at 2x iPhone apps on the iPad still don't use the 960x640 resolution to display in 2x mode. They finally due on the iPad (3) but it's also using the same 4:1 pixel rendering instead of doing a 16:1 rendering when using 2x. I think that was a clear sign from Apple that they didn't want you to get comfortable with iPhone apps on the iPad.
  • Reply 151 of 181
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I hear this "phone not a tablet" argument over and over again which is not an argument really if the form factor is kept the same. I guess for you special 10-15% people who love their small screens apple could do full screen option easily turned off?

Seriously what would you people really miss with wide / edge-to-edge screen? Is the that really all about the archaic home button?

I don't think you get to be snarky with out-of-your-ass made up stuff like "10-15% people who love their small screen."

Again, the iPhone sells in enormous numbers, even if it can't outsell 50 models of Android phones all by itself. You're free to imagine that all of those people are just gritting their teeth and enduring the iPhone's "small screen" because they like other things about the platform, but the burden of proof is on people claiming that everyone loves a big screen.

Also, "archaic home button"? Half the people posting here are so full of shit I'm surprised they can figure out how to work the internet.
  • Reply 152 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't think you get to be snarky with out-of-your-ass made up stuff like "10-15% people who love their small screen."

Again, the iPhone sells in enormous numbers, even if it can't outsell 50 models of Android phones all by itself. You're free to imagine that all of those people are just gritting their teeth and enduring the iPhone's "small screen" because they like other things about the platform, but the burden of proof is on people claiming that everyone loves a big screen.

Also, "archaic home button"? Half the people posting here are so full of shit I'm surprised they can figure out how to work the internet.

Well then thankfully I have my posting for dumbings book with me. The Home Button isn't archaic but the size it takes up is. It's a quarter of the front panel, so why couldn't we have a software Home Button. Extend the screen to the bottom maybe even edge to edge and then we would all be happy. Those apposed to a larger screen do to it might increase the size of the phone would be happy and those wanting a larger screen would also be content.
  • Reply 153 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Well then thankfully I have my posting for dumbings book with me. The Home Button isn't archaic but the size it takes up is. It's a quarter of the front panel, so why couldn't we have a software Home Button. Extend the screen to the bottom maybe even edge to edge and then we would all be happy. Those apposed to a larger screen do to it might increase the size of the phone would be happy and those wanting a larger screen would also be content.

Why post so many false statements? What do you gain from it?
    • Home Button takes up 1/4 of the front panel.

• Remove the Home Button from the front panel and we'd all be happy.

You also haven't considered how this would affect apps, Apple, 3rd party devs, and consumers. Until you take everything into account and comeback with a cogent game plan that would have some real world sense everything you're writing sounds like nonsense.

Pro tip: Every change affects something else. Every change affects has pros and cons. You need to at least attempt to address these to show that you've actually thought about the issue instead of crying foul on Apple for actually planning well.
  • Reply 154 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

how about results of the poll of 66k participants most of them likely current iPhone users?

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/23/imore-...r/#more-155037

Only 13% with you. So it is not "out-of-my-ass" but rather right into yours.
  • Reply 155 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why post so many false statements? What do you gain from it?[LIST][*]Home Button takes up 1/4 of the front panel.

I guess I gain just as much as you do from trying to convince people that Apple wont or needs to change their screen size from 3.5" to at least 4", You do know that's it's going to happen don't you. There is no way they will stay at 3.5", the 4S is the last model with that screen.

Yes I probably was exaggerating it's more like 9/20, as is the top speaker, a waste of space which ever way you look at it.
  • Reply 156 of 181
    Quote:

how about results of the poll of 66k participants most of them likely current iPhone users?

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/23/imore-...r/#more-155037

Only 13% with you. So it is not "out-of-my-ass" but rather right into yours.

First of all, internet-based polls are not a good measure of the public at large because the participants aren't randomly selected. It more like an online petition with options.

Secondly, I did that poll and choose the most commonly selected answer "a 4" iPhone in a larger case" but I did so as the best option in the poll because what I want is not an option. That is a 4" iPhone that is essentially the same size.

Finally, do the people taking the poll understand what is involved with a larger display on a non-windowed OS? Do those that want a 4.3" iPhone realize how wide that would be compared to 4.3" phones with 16:9 displays? Do they even understand how and why the aspect ratio an thumb sweep matter? The poll certainly doesn't explain any of the cons involved, it's just pressing the pros.

Quote:

I guess I gain just as much as you do from trying to convince people that Apple wont or needs to change their screen size from 3.5" to at least 4", You do know that's it's going to happen don't you. There is no way they will stay at 3.5", the 4S is the last model with that screen.

Yes I probably was exaggerating it's more like 9/20, as is the top speaker, a waste of space which ever way you look at it.

All I know is that I'd like a 4"-ish iPhone providing the size is equivalent. Unfortunately, and to my everlasting regret, my desires don't run the world so I have no idea what Apple will do but there are some things incan under based on some known elements. Those have already been well well detailed in this thread as speculation, but not fact.
  • Reply 157 of 181
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's probably black glass for a reason. You can't just take a look at the exterior and assume a couple parametric changes can be executed well. Extending the display has consequences. To extend the screen down means you'd have to shrink the home button, with likely ergonomic issues. Also, displays do have thickness, to extend the screen up means thickening the phone to accommodate the back camera, among other things.

As I've stated above, moving to a 16:9 display without changing the physical size of the iphone itself will leave ~13mm on the top and bottom of the phone, which is more than enough to fit the home button there without having to shrink it at all.

Quote:

They don't care about that, though. They want Apple to move to 16:9 for whatever ludicrous reason.

and again, I have to ask, what is wrong with a 16:9 display on a phone, given that:

1) It will leave more than enough room on the top and bottom of the phone for your home button and your other 'features'

and

2) You make no sacrifices in the width of the display at all?
  • Reply 158 of 181
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I think it takes more than a cursory look on the exterior to make a qualified opinion on that. There is no wasted space inside the device. Just take one apart for yourself to see, I've done that myself four times. It's not just the speaker. The vibration motor, speaker, front & rear cameras, headphone jack, a button, a switch, theIR head detection and circuit board with connectors are all in that "wasted" space.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

As I've stated above, moving to a 16:9 display without changing the physical size of the iphone itself will leave ~13mm on the top and bottom of the phone, which is more than enough to fit the home button there without having to shrink it at all.

But there's also a lot more down there than just the home button. It's a very tightly packed device. Extending the screen like that while constraining the overall size means maybe losing as much as a cubic centimeter in total volume, because the display has thickness.
  • Reply 159 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Have you considered what a new aspect ratio would do to apps, devs and consumers?

Have you considered what a Home Button closer to the bottom edge would do to the usability when trying to be used by the thumb when placed in the hand?

Have you noticed how the iPod Nanos became harder to navigate with one hand as they continually moved the scroll wheel farther down to accommodate a larger display?

Can you see in this mockup how this would make for a worse user experience, not a better one to have the scroll wheel at the very bottom?
    Here is an example of a quality mockup.
    While probably not technically achievable at this time and possibly hurts certain aesthetics Apple likes it does address many of the issues being overlooked in this thread. Most notable are, it's still a 3:@ aspect ratio, it's achieving a 4" display while not making the size larger, it's elongated the Home Button and tapered which is better for various sized hands, and it moves the display up so that the Home Button doesn't have to be pushed to the bottom edge.

If you are going to make a case for a 16:9 iPhone you have to address the current aspect ratio, the SDK and app store, the transition for devs and consumers to the new aspect ratio, and the resolution and PPI. Without even trying to figure out how the logistics will work shows you aren't doing your due diligence... and certainly not creating a winning argument.
  • Reply 160 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it takes more than a cursory look on the exterior to make a qualified opinion on that. There is no wasted space inside the device. Just take one apart for yourself to see, I've done that myself four times. It's not just the speaker. The vibration motor, speaker, front & rear cameras, headphone jack, a button, a switch, theIR head detection and circuit board with connectors are all in that "wasted" space.

But there's also a lot more down there than just the home button. It's a very tightly packed device. Extending the screen like that while constraining the overall size means maybe losing as much as a cubic centimeter in total volume, because the display has thickness.

Wait so are you saying all that can't exsist behind the screen. Call me silly but I think there is a picture of the N9 a few posts above that almost has the identical dimensions as the iPhone but with a 3.9" and all that stuff you listed behind the screen. You would rather have a big mechanical home button and a 3.5" screen, got it sorry for wanting something else please continue telling us what is possible or not.

I would settle for this to:

But it looks a lot like this which is ok in book