Samsung reportedly behind mock protest flashmob at Apple Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 190
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHD View Post

If Samsung is behind this it will make mainstream news and it won't be good for them.

I'm trying to imagine the discussion at the agency that put this together. And, how they pitched it to the client.

"Ok, let's think people. Who has an idea? Anyone?"

• Reply 42 of 190
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

In the good old days, legions of Apple fans could be easily martialed out by the likes of Guy Kawasaki and his Evangel-list. Once he alerted the faithful that Apple was being dissed or attacked, the hapless perp would be inundated with email attacks, letters to the editor, you-name-it. Usually they cried uncle. Are those days gone for good? Is our collective frustration dissipated in forums such as these rather than in the email boxes of the ad agency or its client, Samsung? 

I think you're confused about who's frustrated. My money is on Samsung.

• Reply 43 of 190
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member

Thank countdown does not seem to line up with the SIII release date, is Australia not launch on May 3rd?

• Reply 44 of 190
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member

Actually it is misleading and counting much faster than seconds.  It seems to line up almost exactly with may 3rd.

• Reply 45 of 190
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That site crashes my browser every time I go to it.

Meh, screw'em. samsung.com doesn't work properly in Safari either.

• Reply 46 of 190
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

BOTH of his quotes work in this scenario!

"I can run wild for six months … after that, I have no expectation of success."

What happens in six months? Well, let's see… SIXTH IPHONE RELEASE.

iphone = june 2007

iphone 3g = july 2008

iphone 3gs = july 2009

Iphone 4 = june 2010

Iphone 4s = Oct 2011

Looks like apple is taking longer and longer to udpate the phone.

We may not see the next iphone until Feb 2013

• Reply 47 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxSampleXX View Post

No worries, the Apple polishers are not ready to wake from their distortion field slumber.  Though we do Apple no service with slavish and unquestioning praise of their superiority.  Competition is good, and Apple needs it.

I can buy the real thing... or a cheap-feeling plastic copy. Why do I need to "wake up" to make that decision? 

This is just a continuation of Samsung making fun of Apple customers and thinking that will somehow convince them to buy crap for the same price. Besides, Samsung offers no innovation, no additional quality, no high design in software or hardware, no wide selection in apps, or an integrated cloud support. 

• Reply 48 of 190
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Samsung has become a really pathetic company.

-kpluck

I guess the only one thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about..  If Samsung can generate enough buzz, why not?  Besides, it's quite original..

or at least Samsung isn't copying Apple's PC vs Apple or Think Different ads campaings.  

• Reply 49 of 190
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

iphone = june 2007

iphone 3g = july 2008

iphone 3gs = july 2009

Iphone 4 = june 2010

Iphone 4s = Oct 2011

Looks like apple is taking longer and longer to udpate the phone.

Four fifths of your list is harmful to the point you're trying to make. 

Next iPhone in October. Heck, maybe even September, since the iPods don't have the draw they once did.

• Reply 50 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Only in your dreams. It's more likely that people will stop ignoring the Nokia/MS turd-phone and start buying it.

• Reply 51 of 190
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

Quote:

I realize I'm the one that brought this to our attention here, but yeah, that's fishy. This might not be Samsung.

hmm, the countdown ends on May 6th; the Galaxy S3 is supposed to announced on May 3rd. Delayed launch maybe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

point was to make you feel confused and check on the internet and find out it is samsung and realize that gsiii is coming.

There's already enough hype around the GS3 launch in the android community and among tech bloggers that unless Samsung reveals flying unicorns, people are going to be disappointed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

The countdown is for 96 days from now. What thinks ye that be for?

Tbh, this smells a lot more like a Microsoft campaign than Samsung.

you're off by an order of magnitude ;)

• Reply 52 of 190
    Place your bets on how many of the people protesting actually have an iPhone over a Samsung droid.
  • Reply 53 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

I love the smell of desperation.

How long before Apple gobbles up 90% of the profits in the smartphone space, anyhow?

Samsung = the next Nokia.

Haven't you heard?   Samsung Electronic's profit is up 100%, while the entire organization's revenue is up 20% mostly due to its mobile division (hint: smartphone sales)..

Apple = next Nokia / RIM??   Remember it's Samsung who's taking over from behind..  Samsung mobile's last year sales was up 300%. 

• Reply 54 of 190
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I did a little detective work:

Agency is NEW DIALOGUE PTY LIMITED

York Street NSW Australia

Managing partner: Tim Sexton

Australian government investigated the company in 2009 for sending email SPAM and 100,000 SMS messages for which it was fined $22,000 

• Reply 55 of 190

Mmm, me thinks it's RIM Australia. Looking at the source of that page, you can see there is a DoubleClick Ad iframe, which references the Advertiser source ID (the company) as 2215527, which is tracking the type "black822". Looking up this ID with "doubleclick" in a google search nets the BlackBerry australia pages. And it's the only other site that uses this ID number.

Google defines "src" as: 

Quote:

src=<em>1234567</em>: Identifies the advertiser that is the source of the Floodlight activity. The value of thesrc= key is the advertiser ID.

See documentation here, under "Counter Activity Tags": https://support.google.com/dfa/partner/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=154049&topic=28820&ctx=topic ;

• Reply 56 of 190
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Four fifths of your list is harmful to the point you're trying to make. 

Next iPhone in October. Heck, maybe even September, since the iPods don't have the draw they once did.

Apple's only gone past the 4 season mark ONCE yet he claims it's taking longer-and-longer. Even within the 4 seasons Apple has released in under 1 year right before the 4S release.

The Summer isn't historically a good month for releases. They may have needed time to get set for the Holiday quarter or they wanted to keep the iPod's Autumn release and iPhone from being clumped together so it could establish it's own identity, or it could be that because Apple now has 2 quarters of heavy holiday sales with China's New Year and iPhone interest being so strong that an Autumn release just makes sense.

I was calling for the Autumn release at least as far back as 2009. I would expect that we'll get a new iOS 6 betas at WWDC but no iPhone until the Autumn event.
  • Reply 57 of 190
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Maybe I should start replying to those "Green card" offer emails.

On behalf of Australians I apologise, we aren't all stupid "wake up" sheep or idiots who don't know that 4G comes in different bands.

btw I replaced the piece of junk Samsung fridge I had with a Bosch a couple of months ago and yesterday I replaced the piece of junk Samsung washing machine I had for an Electrolux, now I'm just waiting for the warranty to run out on the Samsung Plasma screen I was given as a gift by the company that built my house, as when that day comes I anticipate it's imminent failure, just like all the other Samsung junk I've owned, Samsung home theatre system that failed, replaced by Sony Bluray and Pioneer.

I've woken up all right, I'll never buy another piece of Samsung junk with it's built in obsolescence ever!!!

• Reply 58 of 190
    poke wrote: »
    <p> So the idea is to get more customers by insulting them?</p>

Calling Apple users asleep is to win brownie points with the fandroids. They are soo l337 with their benchmarks and specs.
  • Reply 59 of 190

Quote:

Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

the most epic fail of a protest (or mock protest) is when no one knows what the heck your even protesting... or what your actual message is.

whoever they are... they failed... unless its some new "Wake Up" energy drink or something?

neither did Apple's 1984 Superbowl ad.   

I guess we will find out whether it worked out not soon..  so far, it looks like tech blogs are the only ones paying attention to this.. 

• Reply 60 of 190
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

neither did Apple's 1984 Superbowl ad.  

I realize you're just trolling now, but I'm going to point this out anyway:

We don't know who these "Wake up" jokers are, who they represent, nor what they're representing.