Apple says lack of multi-user support on iPad is a 'known issue,' 'being investigated'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post

This is the only person making sense in this thread. 

The entire response from Apple is just an automated reply that tells us nothing about the company's future plans about adding a new feature. It just means that someone at Apple filed the cheapskate customer's "bug report" away so Tim Cook can enjoy a laugh during lunch.

really? I've filed several bugs (real, legit bugs) on behalf of my company and I only got this form letter for a known bug. The one I filed when we were the first report was a different form letter.

they do send form letters, but a human must review them before they decide which one to send. 

• Reply 22 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    charlituna wrote: »
    It's an auto form letter that really means nothing other than perhaps more than one person has sent the same suggestion.

No, it doesn't mean that at all. That's the standard form letter they send out to everyone. Someone would get the same letter regardless of whether they were the only one who make that suggestion or 1,000 people did it.

Of course, if only one person made that suggestion, the developer involved is in for a big surprise.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Nice!  That will really help and with parental controls to keep the children from naughty sites when they are on their profile would be nice too.  I cannot see myself having more than one iPad for the foreseeable future so the kids need to share with mommy.

• Reply 24 of 68
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Some solution is badly needed. Not by everyone, but by a LOT of people. Simple actions like checking your email on your family iPad—if you’re not the single “owner”—are a pretty poor user experience at present. Or a friend/guest—my friends are always checking their email on my iPad, and they have to use webmail to do it. Some of them are frequent users and I would give them REAL email if it were only possible.

Apple has all the pieces to make an elegant, simple and useful solution. Sooner or later, it will happen. Even if just for email it would be terrific. (And optional passcode lock each person’s “set” of email accounts, for privacy and to avoid mistakes like sending from someone else’s email. Also great for friends/guests.)

• Reply 25 of 68
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member

I'd take a simple 2nd user like a "guest" account and the ability to hide any app and the ability to control the apps that appear on the guest user springboard from iTunes or the main user.  

• Reply 26 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Unfortunatly if you want that feature your going to have to use an Android tablet. There are two really great programs; SwitchMe and Toggle. Out of the two Toggle is my favorite and I use it everday, I have a work profile and a home profile for my Samsung 7.7". SwitchMe is a little more radical as it actually installs two versions of the same OS on your phone/tablet so your going to need some space. When you start your phone up you just simply choose which user you want to use.

Is it password protected or do you just choose a profile? I think the point that some have made is that they want to lock the kids out of sensitive data like mail. Kids also need their own iTunes library etc.

The super easy login for kids is one challenge. One way I proposed awhile back was to have a few pictures on the lock screen. You choose the picture that is yours and it enlarges full screen. You then have to touch a series of locations on the picture in the right sequence. For ultra simple login you would only need to touch the photo once in the proper location. For adults you could make it as complex as you wanted. For a child, let's say their picture is a zebra. They touch the photo then touch it again on the head. For your login you might have a sports car photo and you have to touch it several times in a precise locations in the correct order.

Just a thought. The duplicate iTunes and Mail apps are a bit complicated though.

• Reply 27 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I think they aren't.

My wife needed an iPad for her work (she's a golf pro), so we bought her an iPad 3 and decided we could share that, so I sold my iPad 1 to pay for it.

It's been a disaster.  We can't share it at all, mostly because we have two separate iTunes accounts, so as far as I can tell, I can't get all my old paid for apps onto "her" iPad.

The solution I had planned was to buy myself my own iPad.  I'm sure Apple would prefer I do that, but if they add multi-users, I won't need to, and they'll lose an additional sale.

You can get your apps on "her" iPad.  Go to Settings -> Store and login with your Apple ID.  Then go to the App Store, navigate to your purchased apps and reinstall them.  When you're done, you can go back into settings and login with your wife's Apple ID.  When it comes time to update the apps, just be mindful of which account it's asking the password for and you should be fine.

• Reply 28 of 68

I work as a computer technician for a K-12 school district and I can tell you that we have a definite need for multiple users on iOS devices.

• Reply 29 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NodNarb012 View Post

I work as a computer technician for a K-12 school district and I can tell you that we have a definite need for multiple users on iOS devices.

Interesting, a workspace application. For what purpose would you use multi-user iPads?

• Reply 30 of 68
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NodNarb012 View Post

You can get your apps on "her" iPad.  Go to Settings -> Store and login with your Apple ID.  Then go to the App Store, navigate to your purchased apps and reinstall them.  When you're done, you can go back into settings and login with your wife's Apple ID.  When it comes time to update the apps, just be mindful of which account it's asking the password for and you should be fine.

Cool, thank you very much!

• Reply 31 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Interesting, a workspace application. For what purpose would you use multi-user iPads?

For different access levels.  Students shouldn't always see the same things as the teachers.

Also, I hope that a multi-user iOS environment would provide a better way to handle VPP purchased apps wherein the school district would retain ownership of the apps rather than Apple's preferred method of buying them for the students; the current methods for retaining ownership are not ideal.

• Reply 32 of 68
    nodnarb012 wrote: »
    For different access levels.  Students shouldn't always see the same things as the teachers.

It would also be useful when the school isn't buying one iPad per student. Allowing more than one student to use an iPad without seeing each others' work might have some applications.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    xstaticaxstatica Posts: 41member

Instead of selling one to each family member they could just sell one per family.  I am sure they are making this a top priority! ;)  Seriously though it would be nice for parents to restrict what apps the kids see when they let them use it.

• Reply 34 of 68

The problem is that in OS X users are networks of user objects (including non-interface using process objects like httpd and sqld etc.)

Its not a trivial problem to implement such systems in a secure manner.

iOS is secure because its kept simple.

If you cant afford an iPad, maybe you shouldn't have an iPad. Go look at Android. The B&H catalog had lots of other tablets for sale.

Maybe Apple would be better off losing the low-end of the market for an iPad with a retina display, a phone and GPS and instead develop and market a new inexpensive device with WiFi only and the curent iPad ][ display to handle that.

It would be a much smarter way for Apple to secure sales while securing their devices and possibly get two or three tablets in a household.

• Reply 35 of 68
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is it password protected or do you just choose a profile? I think the point that some have made is that they want to lock the kids out of sensitive data like mail. Kids also need their own iTunes library etc.

The super easy login for kids is one challenge. One way I proposed awhile back was to have a few pictures on the lock screen. You choose the picture that is yours and it enlarges full screen. You then have to touch a series of locations on the picture in the right sequence. For ultra simple login you would only need to touch the photo once in the proper location. For adults you could make it as complex as you wanted. For a child, let's say their picture is a zebra. They touch the photo then touch it again on the head. For your login you might have a sports car photo and you have to touch it several times in a precise locations in the correct order.

Just a thought. The duplicate iTunes and Mail apps are a bit complicated though.

Yes both solutions are  password protected, with password or pattern or face lock. My kids don't use iTunes anymore. We found it cheaper just to get them each a subscription to spotify then let them buy music.

• Reply 36 of 68
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banana Bonanza View Post

This means nothing. I think I got the exact same wording for every enhancement request I've ever submitted.

Plus, I doubt Apple is hard at work to add a feature that could actually sell fewer devices.

Yep.   The admins have to say something when the close out a bug report.  This is just the standard form letter saying ~your bug report has been closed~ with the between the lines ~don't submit it again~.   

• Reply 37 of 68
    hiro wrote: »
    Yep.   The admins have to say something when the close out a bug report.  This is just the standard form letter saying ~your bug report has been closed~ with the between the lines ~don't submit it again~.   

Please don't make up stories. That message says that the suggestion is NOT closed and remains under active investigation.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    conrail wrote: »

User accounts should have been included when the first iPad 1 rolled off the factory line.

I disagree. That they are going to ever do it or that they SHOULD HAVE.

Regardless of what the WSJ claims about Apple was playing around with at some point. their report full of 'sources' was just the same hit fodder gossip that everyone tosses around. Not fact

iOS is very limited in its capabilities.  It may be good enough for a phone, but for a computer, it is weak.

While the iPad does a number of the same things as a computer, it is not one. Folks need to remember that and get off this mental track that Apple is going to make it one just because they think it's a nifty thought.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

If a feature request is "acknowledged" as a known issue via a generic response that means shit in terms of "acknowledging" it... I can imagine how "acknowledged" the tons of know issues in icloud, ios, os x and os x server are within apple...

• Reply 40 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

A guest account with limited privileges would be a step in the right direction.