Apple ordering screens sized at least 4" for next iPhone - WSJ

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

If you look at how the software works on the current screen, you can see which way the screen will be bigger.  It will be taller by one row.

The row that shows up when you double click the home button to get running apps, the row that shows up when notifications arrive and cuts off the top of the screen.

It's just another 13mm but it will make a difference to those who use the phone.

Also, take a perfectly square image and use it as your wallpaper on the phone.  Note how it is cut off with the time at the top.  13mm would fix this aesthetic.

No need for the phone to get wider.  Just a bit taller.

Who wants a taller phone that has a different aspect ratio? If they're going to have a bigger screen, they'll keep the same aspect ratio IMO.
  • Reply 22 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It is certainly uglier, that's not debatable in my opinion, but you never can tell with Apple. Stranger things have happened.

Well since they've refined their design aesthetic to basically aluminum and glass how many bad designs have they produced?  Most of these mockups are just plain ugly IMV.  And I can't see any of them coming out of Apple's design shop.

• Reply 23 of 84
    capoeira4ucapoeira4u Posts: 160member

When I first switched from a Nokia to iPhone over four years ago, I had trouble adjusting to the way I had to hold the iPhone when dialling b/c my thumbs could not reach over the entire number pad comfortably.  If the screen gets even bigger, I might have to start holding it with two hands :(

• Reply 24 of 84
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has begun placing orders for a new, larger screen blah blah blah ...

This is just a nerdgasm collision.  

The WSJ report is coinciding with the latest stupid theory making the rounds of techdom (that Apple Insider seems to have totally bought into), about the screen aspect ratio changing.  There is nothing in the WSJ report that would support the currently nerd-popular idea of the extra row of icons on a screen with a differing aspect ratio.  Neither rumour actually supports the other, but they are presented here as two pieces of the same puzzle.  

All I can say is that if Apple really *is* changing the aspect ratio of the phone as well as making the screen bigger they will lose a lot of customers.  The only improvement such a phone would have is that you wouldn't see the black bars when playing an HD movie on the phone. All other uses of the phone besides watching HD movies would be slightly compromised vs. the current generation screen.  It's a stupid idea.  

There are many millions of people with iPhones who do not watch movies on them at all.  Just because a bunch of tech nerds figured out some cool math about aspect ratios, doesn't make it a good idea.  

Also, the obvious points ... the rumour may or may not be true as WSJ has the same sources as every other tech blogger and the screen themselves might be for a third device (it's a logical flaw to assume that production of 4" screens == 4" screen for iPhone.)

• Reply 25 of 84
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But, you haven't made a compelling argument why a 4" screen would now be optimal. Your argument is essentially that you are one of an unquantified number who want a bigger screen because... apparently... the "old size" is "old".

Technology has progressed since the original iPhone. A 4" screen plus the innards of the time would have created a more bulky and expensive product.

Also 3.5"  is as you put it "optimal", and I still believe 3.5" is "optimal" if you only sell one phone, which was great for 6 years.

But I think there are a growing number of people who would like a slightly bigger phone (myself included), and a growing number of people who would like a smaller phone.

Technology has progressed and innards shrunk for Apple to be capable of doing so. Plus with millions of iPhones now in the wild, I believe the market is large enough for a two pronged approach.

• Reply 26 of 84
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member

A 4" screen makes sense only if the aspect ratio stays the same, the number of pixels stays the same.  Just the density of the pixels increases slightly.  I certainly do not want the size of the phone to increase.  The current size of the iPhone is perfect, fits in the pocket, and can be held easily without dropping.  Size of the screen is good too.  Why mess with success?  The Samsung phones are too large and have too many software incompatibility issues.  What I need in the new iPhone are: 

1. NFC with tie-ups for payments like bank transactions, debit transactions, credit card purchases.  Like extra security like with biometrics.  Security is important.  

2. Way to store Driver's Lic, Insurance info, licenses, etc with authentication so that they are legal documents.  Like to get rid of the wallet, or reduce it to something minimal.  

3.  Hi quality camera and video recorder with zoom and good optics.  Want to get rid of camera/video recorder too.

• Reply 27 of 84
    Is there anything in the WSJ report that indicates they have exclusive information, or are they just regurgitating other rumors that are already out there?
  • Reply 28 of 84
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Apple will not change the aspect ratio. There is too much software out there designed for the existing ratio.

What is interesting, though, is that if the IPhone gets a bigger screen, the companion Touch will, too. If that happens, forget about a 7-inch iPad. Making a larger Touch, even just slightly larger, renders the smaller IPad pointless. For Apple there is more profit to be had from using similar tech in both its smartphone and its pocket computer. Far less effort to make that happen than to splinter off engineering talent to focus on a 7-inch device.

The iPhone/Touch going with a bit larger screen is simply the next logical step for these devices. It makes so much sense that I would classify it as a surprise if Apple went another route. I can't imagine anyone thinking it bad news that either device came with a bigger screen considering we're not talking about a size increase that would adversely impact ease of use.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 605member

I can't see Apple building a bigger iPhone. Maybe a slightly smaller one, with the same screen size. My 4s is big enough, especially in a leather case; any bigger and it won't go in my pocket.

Or maybe if the aspect ratio and and number of pixels stays the same but with a lower density so the iPhone screen is bigger. I still don't think that'll happen though.

If the number of pixels is going to change I would bet on it being 1024 x 768 (but that's more likely in an iPad-mini which won't happen either imho)

• Reply 30 of 84
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Not only is the 3GS user base not particularly small, based on the number I see regularly in the wild, but it's incorrect to state that this device is unsupported since it continues to receive regular iOS updates. On the other hand, it doesn't require any significant effort by developers to "support" it, in addition to newer iPhones.

If you would actually read my post, I never said that the 3GS wasn't supported or had a small userbase, I said the original iPhone and iPhone 3G were. So thank you for agreeing with my post, ultimately.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Despite my wish for a 4" screen, I would actually bet against it happening for the next revision.

• Reply 32 of 84
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

When I first switched from a Nokia to iPhone over four years ago, I had trouble adjusting to the way I had to hold the iPhone when dialling b/c my thumbs could not reach over the entire number pad comfortably.  If the screen gets even bigger, I might have to start holding it with two hands :(

You can't fool me.  You are too busy with Piao de Maos to use an iPhone.

• Reply 33 of 84
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    aderutter wrote: »
    I can't see Apple building a bigger iPhone. Maybe a slightly smaller one, with the same screen size. My 4s is big enough, especially in a leather case; any bigger and it won't go in my pocket.

Or maybe if the aspect ratio and and number of pixels stays the same but with a lower density so the iPhone screen is bigger. I still don't think that'll happen though.

If the number of pixels is going to change I would bet on it being 1024 x 768 (but that's more likely in an iPad-mini which won't happen either imho)

Don't take this the wrong way but are you one of the little people? I'm just trying to imagine just how small your pockets are considering the current iPhone pushes right up to the limit of what you can fit in them.

To put this in perspective, increasing the screen to around the 4-inch range would involve increasing the height and width by less than a quarter of an inch. That would be immaterial in regards to how this device would feel in the hand and what pockets it would fit into. The current form factor is not cast in stone. Nothing in electronics ever really is.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What a stupid idea. They're not going to release a new format simply to add a row of icons. If Apple releases a 4" phone, they will almost certainly keep the same resolution and screen ratio as the 4S.

Yeah. That's why no one buys the 3.5" iPhone. /s

Is it possible that Apple will release a 4" phone? Sure - maybe even likely. But the difference between 3.5" and 4" is insignificant for most people. The physical dimensions of the phone are more important. If they could put an even larger screen into the phone without changing the phone's dimensions, that would be OK with most people (but not likely, of course). Heck, a lot of people wouldn't even notice the difference unless you have the phones right next to each other. The key is to not release a monstrosity like a 5.3" phone with a stylus and which requires two hands.

Talking out of your ass again I see.

I mean MY GOD.  When Apple comes out with a 4 inch screen, you'll stop talking against it, and instead you'll be talking about how much of a genius Apple is for it. Oh and YES, going from 3.5 to 4 inches IS a big difference.  Hell, I just went from 4 to 4.3 and I notice a difference.

Yes, the iPhone is selling at 3.5 just fine, but lots of people have said they would like bigger screens, so it will just sell EVEN BETTER.  What's wrong with that?

:facepalm:

• Reply 35 of 84
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

The bezel space is critical for using the phone and seeing the screen at the same time.

Period.

• Reply 36 of 84
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Despite my wish for a 4" screen, I would actually bet against it happening for the next revision.

Yeah it seems like if they're ordering them now, there might not be time to really incorporate them in the next version, but we may have a pleasant surprise.

• Reply 37 of 84
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster View PostOh and YES, going from 3.5 to 4 inches IS a big difference.  Hell, I just went from 4 to 4.3 and I notice a difference.

Yes, the iPhone is selling at 3.5 just fine, but lots of people have said they would like bigger screens, so it will just sell EVEN BETTER.  What's wrong with that?

That's my thinking as well.

Apple could always bring out a 4" plus update the 4S.

• Reply 38 of 84

I think Apple is going from selling a retina iPhone and a retina iPad to a range comprising a big top of the line retina iPhone (same res, same aspect ratio, just bigger) and a cheaper smaller iPhone with standard resolution like the 3S and, on the iPad side, a regular retina iPad and a smaller, cheaper, standard resolution iPad.

This will double their offer in the market, probably double their market share with these new economic products, and developers don't need to change a pixel in their apps, even if people will complain that they can't call it a retina display anymore if the screen grows to 4" (Apple will just say that that way you can hold it a bit further away -and it's true, everything will be a bit bigger there- and so it will still qualify).

• Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Interesting situation though, that will now leave developers with the following

3.5" iphone (still in use)

3.5" iphone 3g (still in use)

3.5" iphone 3gs (still on sale and in use, and quite a bargain at 1 cent :)

3.5" iphone 4 retina a4 (still on sale and in use)

3.5" iphone 4s retina a5 (still in sale and in use)

4" iphone 6 retina a5x (if rumours are true)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Fixed that for you.

If the iPhone is WAAAYYY to small then an iPad or a 80" television should be about right.

Actually, considering the new iPad is simply called iPad, and not iPad 3 or iPad HD, I think it's very likely Apple will follow suit with the next iPhone by calling it iPhone, not iPhone 5 or iPhone 6.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

If a 4" screen were to be true (and I can see this being perfectly possible), then perhaps we will at some point get a smaller iPhone to please the moaners who will undoubtedly say 4" is too large. 3" same aspect? Maybe.

No one really knows what Apple will do but personally, I would prefer they keep the screen the same size but reduce the size of the phone itself.  The current iPhone could easily shrink by a quarter inch in both width and height and keep the exact same screen (edge to edge).  

Regardless of what happens, it kind of puzzles me that no one suggest this since this is precisely the way Apple usually operates.  they decide on the minimum useable size for a component like a screen and a keyboard and then try to shrink the device around that.  They've done it over and over again with multiple products.  

Again, no one knows what they are thinking here but the probabilities and the odds lie with them *shrinking* the iPhone, not making it bigger.