Samsung argues 4G Galaxy Tab not in direct competition with Apple's 3G iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Same thing will happen to Samsung as the last two previous largest smartphone vendors in the world... Remember Nokia and Rim?

I hope your wrong about that. The last thing we want is for Apple to gain anymore market share. They're making enough money as it is. The biggest point being, the more competition means that we the consumer Will get better products.  I'm hoping Android looses a lot of ground after Microsoft's WM8, Mozilla's OS, Samsung's Tizen, Rim's OS 10, Ubuntu's Mobile OS. What incentive will there be for Apple if they are making 80% of the phones in the world.

It's almost to that point now, there has only been 2 phones from Apple in the last 2 years and they're pretty much both the same exact phone except for a few updates to stay current. Even iOS hasn't really changed all the much, yes we're getting additional features with every update but the look and feel hasn't changed in the last 5 years.

Nothing wrong with that at the moment as people seem to enjoy them but I'm worried if Apple increases their monopoly, technological advancements will suffer greatly.

You said.... remember Nokia, well you do know that they just released the most incredible camera phone yet to date, 41MP. Without these other company's in the picture who is going keep up with all of the future advancements, I don't care how big Apple becomes there is no way they will be able to do it all themselves. Plus Apple has different engineering goals then others, if Nokia didn't exist it would have probably taken Apple another 4 years to design a 41MP camera.

I never understood why people cheer the demise of the competing company, nobody wins in the long run.

• Reply 42 of 124
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    mstone wrote: »
    I like the car analogy because it shows how useless all this patent litigation is. The auto industry quit wasting time on that eons ago. Anything that is innovative will be copied within the next model year. Get used to it. 

Yep!

• Reply 43 of 124
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yep!

Not always

• Reply 44 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

This is where Android shines, the user has the power, not the company. Samsung just released the source code for my Galaxy note for instance, I can now do with my phone as I please, anything that I dream of and is possible of course. They even shipped the thing with a unlocked boot loader, that's incredible. What's even more fantastic is, even though Samsung claims that installing another version of Android will void your warranty, they have replaced my Note twice for bricking it. My fault, I even told the girl from their customer service department it was my fault, she just told me that she will send out a box, to put the Note in it and they will have it back to me in 5 working days.

Sounds wonderful, I like my things to just work, "bricking" them and doing without them for more than ten days isn't part of that.

• Reply 45 of 124
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

This is where Android shines, the user has the power, not the company. Samsung just released the source code for my Galaxy note for instance, I can now do with my phone as I please, anything that I dream of and is possible of course. They even shipped the thing with a unlocked boot loader, that's incredible. What's even more fantastic is, even though Samsung claims that installing another version of Android will void your warranty, they have replaced my Note twice for bricking it. My fault, I even told the girl from their customer service department it was my fault, she just told me that she will send out a box, to put the Note in it and they will have it back to me in 5 working days.

That is not a selling point for the bulk of the market. This is precisely why Apple with at most 3 devices, and all under one roof, can round up around 30% of the market, while Samsung needs to sell everything they've got, from the good, the bad, to the downright ugly, to achieve barely more than ownership of half the market. Never mind the other Android vendors.

For Joe Average, "customization", "boot loaders", ROMS, and all that other nonsense is completely trumped by ease of use, and breadth and depth of the Apple ecosystem. Given *choice*, *ability* (to pay) and *availability*, consumers are looking for Apple gear. All the customization and "freedom" and openness in the world can't cover up an interface that looks and works like garbage. Google *does not* have the basics of a touch interface mastered. This is and has always been the major embarrassment when it comes to Android. They didn't bother to perfect the basics. So even the highest-end Android smartphone looks and feels and performs like a science fair project. There's no polish. This is also why it just fails epically in the tablet space. All those problems that Android users force themselves to live with in the name of "freedom" become magnified and intensified on a tablet to the point that it just becomes unbearable. 

If you don't build your house on a solid foundation it'll start falling apart. 

• Reply 46 of 124
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

"Biggest smartphone vendor in the world"?  Sounds like something a twelve year old would say to me.  If you don't see it though, nevermind.  

The very fact that you went on this long back and forth with the other person makes you at least halfway to blame for the argument anyway.  If an adult really is arguing with a twelve year old, the last thing they do is treat them like an equal in the argument and argue back and forth like that.  

The whole thing came across to me as if two little boys were trying to best each other in the playground.  The argument has already been over-stated and over-analysed, anyway. The subject matter is hardly even worth the time I'm spending writing this.  

lol you think I made this up? I was stating a fact. Google is your friend... http://bit.ly/KOhh3I

Does this mean you are going to write to all the websites that said the same thing to tell them they are acting like children? The point I was trying to make is that this ban is hardly to going to seriously damage a company the size of Samsung. If you think that is acting like a child then thats your issue.

• Reply 47 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It sure as sh*t happened to the "biggest software vendor in the world." But a little differently. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft

Yeah and how much actual harm came to Microsoft from this? They seem to going ok.

• Reply 48 of 124
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Not always

However there are plenty of autos with gull wing doors. It is so easy to make a few tweaks to a design to skirt around any patents, it just isn't worth pursuing. In the example you provided it is a slightly different scenario since the replica makers were exactly copying an out of date classic in every detail. If Samsung were copying an Apple I with all of the related packaging and trying sell it to people who were attempting to impress others as it was an original worth a million dollars, then that would be a valid comparison. Mercedes Benz does nothing about Hyundai copying the look and feel of their current designs.

• Reply 49 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Same thing will happen to Samsung as the last two previous largest smartphone vendors in the world... Remember Nokia and Rim?

Possible but not because this. Nokia and Rim failed because they didn't innovate or at a minimum, keep up the times.

• Reply 50 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

However there are plenty of autos with gull wing doors. It is so easy to make a few tweaks to a design to skirt around any patents, it just isn't worth pursuing. In the example you provided it is a slightly different scenario since the replica makers were exactly copying an out of date classic in every detail. If Samsung were copying an Apple I with all of the related packaging and trying sell it to people who were attempting to impress people as it was an original worth a million dollars, then that would be a valid comparison. Mercedes Benz does nothing about Hyundai copying the look and feel of their current designs.

The primary reason I used that example of a court issued decision based on design patents, was primarily to show that much to the chagrin of various posters Apple did not pioneer suing over the copying of registered designs, that it has been part of various industries for many years.

• Reply 51 of 124
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

the biggest smart vendor in the world by using someone elses operating system and copying someone elses design. Every phone in which they have used they're own ideas has sucked. I have no idea what people like Android cause imo that sucks too

Android is not a copy of iOS. Design? Really? Since when is a flat rectangle a unique design? Your comments might have more merit if you used punctuation and capitalization in your sentences.

• Reply 52 of 124
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    lamewing wrote: »
    Android is not a copy of iOS. Design? Really? Since when is a flat rectangle a unique design?

I love the way the Apple haters always manage to distort things and miss the real facts of the matter.

In reality, the Samsung Tab was so close to the iPad that Samsung's own attorney couldn't tell the difference. Are you saying that was accidental? Or perhaps you're saying it would have been impossible for Samsung to make it distinguishable?
  • Reply 53 of 124
    geoadmgeoadm Posts: 81member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Android is not a copy of iOS.

Maybe not directly, but without iOS it wouldn't exist. Google have never been very good at coming up with new ideas, just copying others, usually badly. My opinion of why Android is so popular is because telephone companies push it. Cheaper phones, less subsidy. People get iPhones cause they want one. Then spend money at the app store and use it frequently for things other than phone calls. Most people get Android cause it was the cheapest plan and use it as a phone.

• Reply 54 of 124
    geoadm wrote: »
    Maybe not directly, but without iOS it wouldn't exist. Google have never been very good at coming up with new ideas, just copying others, usually badly. My opinion of why Android is so popular is because telephone companies push it. Cheaper phones, less subsidy. People get iPhones cause they want one. Then spend money at the app store and use it frequently for things other than phone calls. Most people get Android cause it was the cheapest plan and use it as a phone.

People buy Android phones because they do what they need them to do... they make phone calls, can send and receive text messages, take pictures, and Facebook. And maybe the odd app or game.

It's the same sorta thing that happened with Windows... the world's most-used desktop operating system.

Most people just boot into Windows and open a browser for Facebook. It doesn't really matter that Windows has the most programs available, or any of the other benefits Windows has over other OSes.

People just use it for the bare minimum of tasks... and there's nothing wrong with that. The term "good enough" comes to mind.
  • Reply 55 of 124
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

So why isn't Apple suing HP?

spectre_vs_air.png

• Reply 56 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

So why isn't Apple suing HP?

Wrong model.

• Reply 57 of 124
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    People buy Android phones because they do what they need them to do... they make phone calls, can send and receive text messages, take pictures, and Facebook. And maybe the odd app or game.
    It's the same sorta thing that happened with Windows... the world's most-used desktop operating system.
    Most people just boot into Windows and open a browser for Facebook. It doesn't really matter that Windows has the most programs available, or any of the other benefits Windows has over other OSes.
    People just use it for the bare minimum of tasks... and there's nothing wrong with that. The term "good enough" comes to mind.

Do you have any data to back up your assumptions? Any?

Fun fact, your opinion does not equate to fact.
  • Reply 58 of 124
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I love the way the Apple haters always manage to distort things and miss the real facts of the matter.

In reality, the Samsung Tab was so close to the iPad that Samsung's own attorney couldn't tell the difference. Are you saying that was accidental? Or perhaps you're saying it would have been impossible for Samsung to make it distinguishable?

That is because 2 pieces of glass, approximately same size, always look alike. It is not that Samsung tablet doesn't look like iPad - it does; it is that such basic, minimalistic design shouldn't be patent-able. When you look at iPad from the front, there isn't much distinction there - save for home button (which Samsung doesn't have).

In my mind, question is: does Apple has exclusive rights on creating touchscreen tablet, or does it not. If not, then Apple should not have exclusive rights on flat glass surface. Major point of touchscreen device is that controls are "soft" - they appear on screen, as required; putting extra buttons only for sake of differentiation is silly at best. Or making it thicker than current technology actually demands. Or pretty much anything else Apple sarcastically recommended Samsung to do, some time ago, in order to differentiate.

• Reply 59 of 124
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    geoadm wrote: »

Yet the Galaxy Note sold 5 million in 5 months at $249, with a 5.4 screen and.........a stylus, oh the horror. Your "assumptions" are just that.
  • Reply 60 of 124
    hellacool wrote: »
    Do you have any data to back up your assumptions? Any?

Fun fact, your opinion does not equate to fact.

What data are you referring to?

Do people buy smartphones for a variety of reasons?

I'm pretty sure people don't buy Android phones for the vast Android app ecosystem. So that must mean they buy Android phones to handle the normal tasks of phone calls, text messages and Facebook.

And as for Windows... when someone buys "a computer" chances are it's a Windows machine. And a lot of people use a computer for nothing more that email and Facebook.

Oh and you haven't provided any data either...