Samsung argues 4G Galaxy Tab not in direct competition with Apple's 3G iPad 2

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 124
    derekmorrderekmorr Posts: 237member
    jragosta wrote: »
    You don't think that someone with a newer device is going to buy more apps than someone with an older phone?
    And you don't think that some of the apps in the Android Market will work only on newer phones?

None of that has anything to do with how often a device or user will query Google's servers to check for app updates, which is enough for a device to get counted in Google's Android distribution statistics. You claimed that ICS devices were over represented in the stats. I haven't heard an argument to support that claim.
  • Reply 122 of 124
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    derekmorr wrote: »
    None of that has anything to do with how often a device or user will query Google's servers to check for app updates, which is enough for a device to get counted in Google's Android distribution statistics. You claimed that ICS devices were over represented in the stats. I haven't heard an argument to support that claim.

Yes you have - just just keep ignoring it.

There have been surveys and most people buy far more apps for a new device than for a device that they've owned for years.
  • Reply 123 of 124
    derekmorrderekmorr Posts: 237member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes you have - just just keep ignoring it.

There have been surveys and most people buy far more apps for a new device than for a device that they've owned for years.

I think there's some confusion regarding what the statistics are measuring. They're not just counting the total number of checkins. They're grouped by device. So, if I check the Play Store 50 times during a month from my Galaxy Nexus running ICS, it's counted as one hit for ICS, not 50. So it doesn't matter if users with newer devices checkin more often. As long as they checkin even once, they're counted.

• Reply 124 of 124
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

I think there's some confusion regarding what the statistics are measuring. They're not just counting the total number of checkins. They're grouped by device. So, if I check the Play Store 50 times during a month from my Galaxy Nexus running ICS, it's counted as one hit for ICS, not 50. So it doesn't matter if users with newer devices checkin more often. As long as they checkin even once, they're counted.

Correct. I thought that was the way Jragosta understood it when he first posted. Since then it appears he might not have gotten it totally right. No doubt he'll reply unless he realizes he wasn't completely correct. In that case I wouldn't expect any reply.