Samsung Galaxy S III launches in Europe to take on Apple's iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    No, it's not preorders. The Galaxy S II has been out for a year now, they're sales.

I think you're in the wrong place. This thread is about the Galaxy S III. And I was referring to the recent article bragging about Samsung's preorders for the S III.

Furthermore, even for the S II, where are the sales figures? Samsung doesn't publish them.
  • Reply 22 of 85
    fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member

They might have took the page from Xbox 360 battle plan. It comes out at least 6 months before the expected iPhone 5 and available for cash-and-carry at this. Not for the North America and true for East Asia where Samsung counts on more today. They believe if you come out really early, perhaps half a year before your competitors do like this, and build up enough numbers and momentum to get developer support and make your products as ubiquitous as you can, you can hold off latecomers and win the battle for that generation of product. Xbox 360 defeats PS3 with the same battle plan.

Saying that, I think Galaxy S III is more to do with having Android market sewn up by Samsung rather thank taking on iPhone. Fragmentations and oversupply degenerated into this Android Civil War. Samsung might want to end this war, ends the fragmentations that slow the platform donw and make Samsung's branch the universal standard for Android platform. The new generation of Galaxy phones might be able to do it.

So if Galaxy III is enough to make Samsung the REAL standard bearer of Android platform and not just de facto one Galaxy II is today. Then this phone has done its job.

• Reply 23 of 85
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I don't know why people are saying is is ugly. In reality, how radically different can you design a phone? They are all going to be rectangular and have a screen. Seems the only major differences will be sharp or rounded corners and a few other minor details like the back which is usually covered by a case. I know the difference between specs and actual day to day usability. Apple is very good about getting every last drop of power out of their CPU/GPU and battery. Having said that, the SIII from the videos, and benchmarks is pretty impressive and so is the HTC One. I wonder how efficiently Android uses all 4 cores. No doubt Apple will have an answer come Fall with their new model. But even I have to admit that I would gladly trade in my iPhone 4S for an SIII just for the screen alone. I won't because I am not  a phone whore that needs the latest and greatest  and tend to keep my phone the full 20 months of my contract until I can upgrade. But If I had to choose right now between a 4S and SIII I would pick the Samsung. I won't have to make that decision until June 2013 so hopefully Apple will have a phone that blows the SIII and I guess the SIV by then away. 

• Reply 24 of 85
    fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I think you're in the wrong place. This thread is about the Galaxy S III. And I was referring to the recent article bragging about Samsung's preorders for the S III.

Furthermore, even for the S II, where are the sales figures? Samsung doesn't publish them.

It's bloody hard to get the real numbers since Samsung stick to the wholesale model. Handsets left the factory can remain in markets and stockrooms for years.

• Reply 25 of 85
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I don't know why people are saying is is ugly. In reality, how radically different can you design a phone? They are all going to be rectangular and have a screen.

Yes, that's why the iPhone looked so much like any other phone when it was released in 2007.

(if you don't get that this is sarcasm then you have no right to be on any Apple forum)

• Reply 26 of 85
    jragosta wrote: »

From the article : the Galaxy S II, which reached 20 million sales worldwide. They do publish the numbers.

The S III had 9 million preorders from carriers, at least according to several sources.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

...Where as other manufacturers (Samsung) have to install tons of GHz and GB to make up for losses in firmware and software that is not their own, Apple has the same answer as it had then: they build both hardware and software and the result is a highly integrated product that seamlessly fits in Apples existing ecosystem. This is what is important for me. 

Samsung builds hardware components for both its own and Apple's devices. Why would you say that Samsung doesn't use its own hardware and Apple does? From what I remember about Apple's suppliers, it seems that the exact opposite is true.

• Reply 28 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Samsung builds hardware components for both its own and Apple's devices. Why would you say that Samsung doesn't use its own hardware and Apple does? From what I remember about Apple's suppliers, it seems that the exact opposite is true.

Hmmm... I didn't read that statement the same way that you did.

Try a re-read.

[ie. - Apple doesn't just build its own hardware, it also creates its own software that is tightly integrated with the hardware whereas Samsung only builds its own hardware that must be amped up in order to accommodate another company's software]

• Reply 29 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Yes, that's why the iPhone looked so much like any other phone when it was released in 2007.

(if you don't get that this is sarcasm then you have no right to be on any Apple forum)

That was then, this is now. Yeah, the iPhone changed everything in 2007, but in 2012 due to all phones being as thin as possible and losing physical KB's, there really is not a whole lot to differentiate them anymore besides screen size, corners, and the back in terms of looks. Obviously the biggest differentiator now is the OS.  Very few future iPhone sales will be based solely on looks anymore. Some people will always buy an iPhone just because it is an iPhone and made by Apple, the same way some (though far fewer) might have a loyalty to Samsung, HTC, or even Motorola. I don't have a dog in the race. I will buy the best phone I can when my upgrade credit kicks in June of 2013. I have really enjoyed my iPhone 4S but a 4.8" screen is extremely appealing to me. Maybe iOS 6 or 7 by then and a larger iPhone screen will keep me in the fold, but I am not nearly as loyal to iOS as I am to Mac OS X. I would never buy a Windows PC, but switching between Android and iOS and back again is pretty painless. 

• Reply 30 of 85

Quote:

Hmmm... I didn't read that statement the same way that you did.

Try a re-read.

You seem to interpret "hardware" as the finished product. If that was indeed the intended meaning, then it's nonsense -- both Apple and Samsung build their own finished products. The mention of 'firmware' suggested to me that Roos24 meant "the hardware components".

Regarding software, Samsung has the entire code of Android for months to tweak before a release. It's not like they install a build directly from Google. It's silly to expect that they don't match the software to their hardware.

• Reply 31 of 85
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

That was then, this is now.

What magical, mystical force is stopping innovation now?

• Reply 32 of 85

Quote:

That was then, this is now. Yeah, the iPhone changed everything in 2007, but in 2012 due to all phones being as thin as possible and losing physical KB's, there really is not a whole lot to differentiate them anymore besides screen size, corners, and the back in terms of looks. .. and a bunch of other stuff that has no relation to the central argument...

Yeah... Nokia's phones look so much like Apple's phones... oh, wait.

Wait until October, you'll get your answer then.

[one's own lack of imagination should not color the innovation of others]

• Reply 33 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's actually even more subtle than that. It's 'preorders', not sales. Preorders can be canceled. Furthermore, think about Sprint's decision to purchase 20 M iPhones over 4 years. The way Samsung is tallying things, that would have counted as a 20 M unit sales day since Sprint agreed to buy them at some time in the future.

With any of the Android numbers, there's far too much obfuscation going on. Let's wait for real sales figures.

If Apple was to claim they have 20million preorders for the 6th generation iPhone you would believe it in a heartbeat. Why is it so hard to believe samsung can have a successful product or rather why is it that apple is the only company that can have a successful product. This idea that only apple can be good and all other companies that compete with them are liars con-artiest, evil and should be shut down. Apple is not the only good company and there is plenty of room for more then one successful company.

• Reply 34 of 85

Quote:

You seem to interpret "hardware" as the finished product. If that was indeed the intended meaning, then it's nonsense -- both Apple and Samsung build their own finished products. The mention of 'firmware' suggested to me that Roos24 meant "the hardware components".

Regarding software, Samsung has the entire code of Android for months to tweak before a release. It's not like they install a build directly from Google. It's silly to expect that they don't match the software to their hardware.

I guess "install tons of GHz and GB" means something different to you than it does me.

As far as matching hardware to software... yes, Samsung's efforts are just as tightly integrated as iOS is to Apple's phones. (slaps forehead)

• Reply 35 of 85

Quote:

I guess "install tons of GHz and GB" means something different to you than it does me.

I did not comment on this part previously, so I don't see why you think I misunderstood it.

Improved specifications are most welcome. I am sure that the next iPhone will have a faster CPU and more memory as well.

• Reply 36 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What magical, mystical force is stopping innovation now?

Nothing and I would love to see something truly revolutionary like the iPhone was back in 2007 and completely blow me away. I am not against innovation at all. It just seems to me that Apple tends to be revolutionary then very incrementally evolutionary in subsequent models. That is understandable, but the trend now seems to be to make it is thin as possible, preserve or increase battery life which is a great thing, improve screen resolution,  on Android phones at leas make the screens as large as is practicable. No doubt Siri was an innovation and I enjoy using it. I look forward to more innovations to come in iOS 6. But in terms of hardware, it is going to be very difficult for Apple to blow the competitors out of the water the same way they did in 2007 again. Unless they have some secret hologram project, or 3D projector type of technology. The original iPhone in 2007 made those Palm, Windows, and Blackberry phones look like antique relics and they held that lead until around 2010. As much as I like my iPhone 4s, I don't think it is significantly better than a Samsung SII or HTC One X. But that's OK, Apple doesn't have to completely reinvent the wheel every 5 years, they just need to keep adding enough new features and value to keep growing sales. But I doubt you will ever see as large a gap between an iPhone and the competition as you did in 2007 ever again. 

• Reply 37 of 85

Quote:

I did not comment on this part previously, so I don't see why you think I misunderstood it.

Improved specifications are most welcome. I am sure that the next iPhone will have a faster CPU and more memory as well.

****... you're losing me now, buddy.

You stated that you thought Roos was saying that Samsung doesn't use its own hardware. That statement alone told me that Samsung installs its own stuff... nowhere in his entire statement did I see any mention of any other companies other than Samsung and Apple.

• Reply 38 of 85

Quote:

Nothing and I would love to see something truly revolutionary like the iPhone was back in 2007 and completely blow me away. I am not against innovation at all. It just seems to me that Apple tends to be revolutionary then very incrementally evolutionary in subsequent models. That is understandable, but the trend now seems to be to make it is thin as possible, preserve or increase battery life which is a great thing, improve screen resolution,  on Android phones at leas make the screens as large as is practicable. No doubt Siri was an innovation and I enjoy using it. I look forward to more innovations to come in iOS 6. But in terms of hardware, it is going to be very difficult for Apple to blow the competitors out of the water the same way they did in 2007 again. Unless they have some secret hologram project, or 3D projector type of technology. The original iPhone in 2007 made those Palm, Windows, and Blackberry phones look like antique relics and they held that lead until around 2010. As much as I like my iPhone 4s, I don't think it is significantly better than a Samsung SII or HTC One X. But that's OK, Apple doesn't have to completely reinvent the wheel every 5 years, they just need to keep adding enough new features and value to keep growing sales. But I doubt you will ever see as large a gap between an iPhone and the competition as you did in 2007 ever again. 

All I can say is... keep watching.

• Reply 39 of 85

Quote:

Also in Frankfurt some 100 people were in the queue this morning when the Deutsche Telekom shop on the city's busiest shopping street The Zeil opened.

"That's about the same as when the latest iPhone went on sale," said 21-year old Steven Barth, who was taking orders at the shop. "I think our publicity campaign also helps. We are giving away about a hundred Galaxys today, in this shop."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/29/us-samsung-galaxy-idUSBRE84S02J20120529

I love this! they got 100 customers to line up to get the Galaxy S III, and all they had to do was...give away 100 phones.  Please, someone tell me the next time Apple launches a flagship smartphone by giving away free phones - I will be in that line!

• Reply 40 of 85

Quote:

Yeah... Nokia's phones look so much like Apple's phones... oh, wait.

Wait until October, you'll get your answer then.

[one's own lack of imagination should not color the innovation of others]

I never mentioned Nokia. At this point in time, it looks like it really is a two horse race between Android and iOS. But who knows, Windows has been getting decent reviews so they make gain some traction. But since you mentioned Nokia, you made my point. Besides being blue, is it really that different from an iPhone or Android phone? It is thin and rectangular. 5 years ago it was extremely easy to tell phones apart. You still can today, but once they are in a case which most are, it gets a lot more difficult if the screens are similar in size and you can't see the OS it is running. 

I don't really need to wait until October since I won't be looking to buy a new phone until June of next year. Maybe I am in the minority, but the looks of a phone matter very little to me. I care about battery life, the screen, the apps, vendor support, apps, GUI, specs, but the design to me is completely inconsequential. Unless of course it was absolutely hideous or bulky or neon pink which is very unlikely from any vendor. Or the buttons were poorly placed or hard to depress or things of that nature. 

freelumia900.jpg