• Reply 81 of 92
    itarditard Posts: 5member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Samsung-Apple-Cable-Copy.jpg

"Decades. Literally DECADES, your honor."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Towers View Post

Are you guys kidding me? Apple didn't invent either the USB or multipin connectors used by the Samsung phone. Using commodity interconnects is a good idea, and ought not be considered patentable. Imagine if every other device in your home had proprietary connectors...

Finally some common sense! +1 Larry Towers

Apple didn't invent anything. They copy and 'reinvent' everything. Then claim they originally invented it in Apple.

5Czdr.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDMI

CjCTU.png

Open Industry Standard or Proprietary? Royalty-free or Royalty-pay? Your pleasure... But clearly, Apple took its inspiration for the USB and iWhatever Cradle connector from over 50 other manufacturers.

~~~~~~~~

The problem with standards is there are so many of them.

~ Uncommon sense

There is nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things we don't know.

~ Ambrose Bierce

If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.

~ William Blake, English poet, painter, and printmaker, (1757 – 1827)

• Reply 82 of 92
    alcstarheelalcstarheel Posts: 554member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

The same goes for banning. Ban them via PM. Not on the forum. You still don't get. 30 posts in you just realize it got derailed. But since a Moderator thought it appropriate to bring up banning in a thread I hadn't realized that I hijacked the topic. I was only following modeled behavior.

You must not know moderating, then. Sometimes you have to have a public banning so people understand that someone actually was banned. He could have wiped out the whole sequence. He might after the fact. But it goes with the territory.

Moderating is not easy. It's even harder when you're invested in the forum the way TS is because it's a lot like parenting. As a moderator your "kids" (read: regular members) are not going to be okay with everything you say or do but they have to listen to you and respect your authority. You're in charge. Since you see so much regular activity from TS when he has to put his foot down it looks like someone overstepping his bounds to some people. I'd rather take that over a no-show moderator that doesn't really post much but swoops in and tries to discipline people. That'd be like a dead-beat dad coming home after 10 years telling you to clean your room.

I have no problem with how TS posts or moderates. He's more blunt then others but he has his personality and you have yours. If his "superiors" don't have a problem with his moderating then he must be doing what he's supposed to do.

• Reply 83 of 92
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hey look it's a new Mac Mini:-

http://www.engadget.com/photos/samsung-chromebox-2012-review/#5051182

Samsung imitating, nah I just don't see it.

LOL

Actually Google designed that little gem, Samsung was just chosen as the manufacturer. Similar to the Nexus project. Mini ITX board designers used to use OEM boxes smilier to this, I had one that looked pretty close to the Apple Mini a year before Apple came out with it.

• Reply 84 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Are you guys kidding me? Apple didn't invent either the USB or multipin connectors used by the Samsung phone. Using commodity interconnects is a good idea, and ought not be considered patentable. Imagine if every other device in your home had proprietary connectors...

No one said that Apple invented either USB or multipin connectors.

Nice straw man argument, though.
    relic wrote: »
    Actually Google designed that little gem, Samsung was just chosen as the manufacturer. Similar to the Nexus project. Mini ITX board designers used to use OEM boxes smilier to this, I had one that looked pretty close to the Apple Mini a year before Apple came out with it.

Uh huh. Notice that you haven't provided any link. I'm willing to bet that your "looked pretty close" is nothing like the Mini.

And, besides, if Google is designing Samsung products for them, where did the $3.5 B in R&D go?
  • Reply 85 of 92
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

February 2006

samsungpictureframe.jpg

April 2010

ipad.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Nice try, but that's a photo frame, you schmuck!

And it's off. Got a shot of the 'interface' of your 'tablet'?

schmuck??? Once you start calling names, you lost the argument. 

Don't put words in my mouth. I did not call it a 'tablet'. The picture of this Samsung photo frame been around forums many times so it's not a big news, but a reminder. And it does not much matter what it is, as long as it's an electronic device with LCD display.

But my point is that this design (black glossy frame, rectangle with rounded corners and thin chrome around) Samsung created few years before Apple did. And this design is applicable to many types electronic devices with large LCD display, e.g. phone, tablet, TV, handheld GPS, MP3 player, etc.  

And as you can see it does not take Apple nor Sir Jonathan Ive to create that design.  

• Reply 86 of 92
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

While these are obviously picked too, it shows that there's a much wider range than the typical cliche gif.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

February 2006

samsungpictureframe.jpg

April 2010

ipad.png

I was just thinking I didn't believe Samsung had a tablet in 2006. They did use the shape though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Nice try, but that's a photo frame, you schmuck!

And it's off.

Got a shot of the 'interface' of your 'tablet'?

Although it's not the exact model, here's the back of this 'iPad look-a-like':

LL-1.jpeg

If anything, it demonstrates that Samsung could only stick a basic image viewer into that form factor at that time, whereas a few years later Apple stuck in a whole flippin' computer.

Here's what Samsung was putting out in tablet form just before the iPad came out. The Samsung Q1 Ultra:

samsung-q1-ultra-umpc.jpg

And the specs:

Weighing in at 690g and measuring 23.9mm thick, the Q1 Ultra features a 7-inch widescreen LCD which displays graphics at a resolution of 1024×600 pixels, a Qwerty keyboard in the form of a split thumb pad, a 60GB hard drive, 1GB system memory, improved battery life of 3.5 hours and Windows Vista operating system.

Loaded with awesome Vista-ry goodness.

Check out that sexy stylus!

Myth busted.

They still used that shape in a design. I don't think it matters beyond the point of if you feel these lawsuits are justified. I also have to wonder where the necessary ARM and NAND hardware was around the time of many of these earlier tablets. Apple used small HDDs in their ipods for years. The only thing that surprises me a little is that RIM didn't really test this before Apple and the ipad(unless I'm mistaken and I just haven't heard of it). I mean when back when their sales initially took off.

• Reply 87 of 92
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

You still continue to prove why you are a terrible moderator.

Tallest deals with ignorant and/or antagonist peasants all day long and manages a pretty reasonable composure if you ask me. Could he be more robotic, as you suggested? Sure, but why would I want to post on a forum where the moderators aren't involved in the topic at hand. If you don't like the forum, post elsewhere.

• Reply 88 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slang4art wrote: »
    Tallest deals with ignorant and/or antagonist peasants all day long and manages a pretty reasonable composure if you ask me. Could he be more robotic, as you suggested? Sure, but why would I want to post on a forum where the moderators aren't involved in the topic at hand. If you don't like the forum, post elsewhere.

The question these people who want to derail threads discussing a moderator's forum activity need to ask themselves is, "Is the mod's posting style any different than before he was given this forum privileges?"
  • Reply 89 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    relic wrote: »

So now you're claiming that Chromebox is a Google product that is merely manufactured by Samsung yet it has the assembly company's name prominently on the front but not the company that actually designed and made the product? Considering you keep saying that Apple doesn't use alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass despite 1) being the company that had Corning create it, 2) that you need that type of structure for thin panels, and 3) Apple lists Corning as a parts supplier I suppose I can see how you'd think Samsung was nothing more than Google's Foxconn for assembling the Chromebox.
  • Reply 90 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

…I suppose I can see how you'd think Samsung was nothing more than Google's Foxconn for assembling the Chromebox.

Even still, my 27" Cinema Display doesn't look like this:

Untitled-1.png

• Reply 91 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    mercury99 wrote: »
    February 2006

LL

April 2010

LL

I do see strong similarities from the front, but the edge is plastic. Here is the side view of that model Samsung:

c55bfc%7C00e4_4265-IMG0967.jpg

I apologize for the mistreatment by another member of the forum.

bmason1270 wrote: »
    Really? Banned for that? Look at PC cases in general. This is a computer with a smaller form factor. At a certain point, yes a rectangle is a rectangle.
    Might as well sue Roku too. Motorola should sue TiVo for putting their DVR in a box.
    I don't know the history of the guy you banned but his comment was not out of line in this instance and quite frankly, your acting like a jerk in this case.
    Ban me if you wish too, but you seriously need to step back a bit.

He's a persistent troll. It's not just for that one post. The only thing he does is post things to disrupt and side track discussions, that post is just a hint at previous and likely future behavior.

Also, when one gets banned for trolling, signing up under a new name is a bannable in itself.