Brightcove CEO expects Apple TV add-on for FaceTime, motion control

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In addition to a full-fledged television set, the CEO of Internet video provider Brightcove also expects Apple to release a thin black bar that will add FaceTime video chat and motion control to existing, non-Apple televisions.

The new product would ditch the current "puck" design used by the Apple TV set-top box, Brightcove Chief Executive Jeremy Allaire speculated in an editorial published Monday by All Things D. He envisions an accessory about an inch tall and 3 inches wide that could be easily mounted to the top of any brand of HDTV.

"Like the existing Apple TV, it will have HDMI and power jacks on the back, but it will also include a high-def camera built into its face, as well as an embedded iOS environment that provides motion-sensing and speech processing," Allaire wrote.

This theoretical accessory is based on Allaire's belief that Apple's focus in the living room will not be in selling a full-fledged television set. Instead, he believes Apple will continue to advance its iOS platform and find ways to easily integrate it into users' living rooms.

In addition to a black bar compatible with any HDTV, Allaire believes Apple also plans on "dipping their toe into the actual TV monitor business." He expects that a full-fledged television set from Apple would offer capabilities identical to the hypothetical black bar accessory, but the full TV would also feature Apple's own design and form factor.

"Why would they do this when it is such an established market with such long replacement cycles?" he wrote. "In short, because they can, and it will be gorgeous and include the latest innovations in display technology, and will sell at a premium price that ensures a reasonable gross margin for Apple."

Television

Based in Cambridge, Mass., Brightcove is an online video platform that serves major clients like The New York Times and Time. Its products offer HTTP Live Streaming for iOS devices, and can also allow content providers to convert video available in Adobe Flash to iOS-compatible HTML5.

Rumors of an Apple television continue to persist, and even picked up some steam last week following Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook's appearance at the D10 conference. During an onstage interview with journalists Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher, Cook said that although the Apple TV set-top box remains a "hobby," a refresh of the product to deliver 1080p video content helped sales reach 2.7 million so far in 2012.

"We're going to keep pulling the string and see where it takes us," Cook said of the Apple TV's role in the living room.

Last Friday, analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray said he believes an Apple television is now a matter of "when," and not "if." He expects Apple will unveil the product later this year and launch it in the first half of 2013, with a price between $1,500 and $2,000 for screen sizes between 42 and 55 inches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Holy cow, they changed the image! image

The story's still crap, though.

• Reply 2 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

It make a lot more sense than the previous stories about Apple seeing multiple 50" to 70" TVs in their stores.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The image still looks silly, though.

There's no way that Apple can put out a TV that is (proportionally) as thick as the Apple Display-like thing-y shown here and hope to sell any in today's TV marketplace.

• Reply 4 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I think he's the closest to what Apple will likely do. It makes more sense than the other ideas we're seeing presented.
  • Reply 5 of 49

I wonder if we'll ever get an update that enables the viewing of iTunes LP on the Apple TV... like the original one could do years ago. :(

• Reply 6 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It makes more sense than the other ideas we're seeing presented.

Er…

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Allaire believes Apple also plans on "dipping their toe into the actual TV monitor business." "Why would they do this when it is such an established market with such long replacement cycles?" he wrote. "In short, because they can

"Makes more sense", huh? image

• Reply 7 of 49
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member

I suppose its possible Apple might make a Wii sensor bar/Kinect.  Sounds like a warranty nightmare though, as something set in such a position will likely fall over.

• Reply 8 of 49
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Adding a webcam and facetime actually makes a lot of sense.  There is probably a huge market for facetime between the boomer generation and their grandchildren.  That alone would drive a market for the current ATV. 

• Reply 9 of 49
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

"In addition to a full-fledged television set, the CEO of Internet video provider Brightcove also expects Apple to release a thin black bar that will add FaceTime video chat and motion control to existing, non-Apple televisions."

It almost sounds like Kinect.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect ;

• Reply 10 of 49
    Er…

"Makes more sense", huh? :lol:

Yes, huh! I can see them making a big Tv monitor, if just to show what they think it should be. If what we're reading about screen shipments to Apple are true, they're experimenting with it, at least.

But that's just a small part of what he was saying, if you read his entire article. Even if it weren't correct, the other 95% of what he's saying makes strong sense.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    vandil wrote: »
    I suppose its possible Apple might make a Wii sensor bar/Kinect.  Sounds like a warranty nightmare though, as something set in such a position will likely fall over.

I don't see it as a problem. The Wii sensor and Kinect work that way. A small and light device would survive a fall with ease. There's no screen to break. Besides, there would be something to make a fall less likely. I'm pretty sure that's something Apple would be aware of, aren't you?
  • Reply 12 of 49

Read this article this morning and he makes a lot of sense. Was surprised that this was a CEO coming out. Makes it more believable than an "analyst" with "supply-chain checks." Come out with your different interface options with connections and then bringing out the integrated set.

• Reply 13 of 49
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't think their motivation is accuracy. They're probably just short on stories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It make a lot more sense than the previous stories about Apple seeing multiple 50" to 70" TVs in their stores.

Those ones really made me facedesk. I don't think those would fit well in your typical Apple store. Beyond that some people still do not seem to understand that Apple has never competed on specs. They typically address a good range of specs, but those aren't their primary selling point. In some cases I think they hold back specs in favor of things like battery life. Usually it's not too bad. Sometimes they push it like going really low on vram with certain gpus. The 2011 mini and one of the early 2011 macbook pros had gpus with only 256MB which is below the minimum official requirement for many things at this point. 

• Reply 14 of 49
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think he's the closest to what Apple will likely do. It makes more sense than the other ideas we're seeing presented.

It makes sense to me that in addition to putting out a full TV solution (if they in fact do so), Apple would continue to sell the add-on box for those that want to keep their existing setups.  I'm not so sure about this "bar" though in that if it contains the things that the consumer would miss out on by not buying the full TV product, then it removes any need for a full TV product at all.  

It seems like it might be a better strategy for Apple to come out with the full iTV, and continue to sell the add on box they currently sell today for those that just want the content.  The added features of Siri and motion sensing etc. would then be the main reason to jump in and buy the whole TV set.  

I still think (Tallest Skil aside), that it makes sense for Apple to sell the whole TV.  It's a collapsing and generally f*cked up market that they could easily dominate and it just doesn't seem very "Appley" for them to make one or more types of boxes that plug into the rats nest of wiring that is today's modern TV/entertainment system.  It's more like them to make a single black slab that does it all and only has one plug and an ethernet connection.  

• Reply 15 of 49
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I don't think their motivation is accuracy. They're probably just short on stories.

Those ones really made me facedesk. I don't think those would fit well in your typical Apple store. Beyond that some people still do not seem to understand that Apple has never competed on specs. They typically address a good range of specs, but those aren't their primary selling point. In some cases I think they hold back specs in favor of things like battery life. Usually it's not too bad. Sometimes they push it like going really low on vram with certain gpus. The 2011 mini and one of the early 2011 macbook pros had gpus with only 256MB which is below the minimum official requirement for many things at this point. 

I don't see why people keep saying that it makes no sense for Apple to sell TV's in the Apple store.  I understand the "feeling" but I don't see what the rational arguments against it are.  

To me, this is similar to the "OMG why would anyone use an iPad to take pictures with!" thing.  I understand how it feels kind of goofy, but it's a great camera with a giant viewfinder and there's really no rational reason not to do it.  

If Apple does make a TV, they would no doubt want it to be competitive size wise.  Why wouldn't they have a 50", 60" and 70" TV?  And what would be wrong or difficult selling them in the Apple store?  What's the difference between that and selling them in Sears or the Bay or anywhere else?  

• Reply 16 of 49
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to a black bar compatible with any HDTV, Allaire believes Apple also plans on "dipping their toe into the actual TV monitor business." He expects that a full-fledged television set from Apple would offer capabilities identical to the hypothetical black bar accessory, but the full TV would also feature Apple's own design and form factor.

I still think a separate "black bar" would be too much trouble for end-users.  The HDTVs on the market vary too much in size and shape, so it would be tricky to engineer attachment hardware.  And Apple has eliminated all mechanical fiddling from their computing products and accessories, so I doubt they'd want to re-introduce that with any manner of "black bar" accessory.  Also, after you've figured out how to attach it to your TV set, you'd need to aim it at your couch or your normal TV viewing spot.  Even more of the type of end-user hassle that Apple works very hard to avoid.

In addition, if the iSight camera has significant value (for family FaceTime calls, high-resolution gesture recognition for gaming, biometrics for identifying individual users in the room, etc.) then Apple could help boost sales of their actual HDTV set by making it an exclusive.  The current Apple TV could remain more or less the same, with neither a camera nor a microphone.  The future Apple HDTV set could have a built-in iSight camera and a microphone for Siri commands.  Together they would enable vastly simpler interaction with the TV, justifying its price.  Thus, Apple could have both low-cost and higher-cost TV solutions.

(As an aside, Apple has been working on biometrics and face recognition since iPhoto '09.  Combine 2d face recognition with 3d focal distance measurements using an iPhone or iPad or iPod touch camera at close range and you could create a reliable biometric authorization system. One that couldn't be fooled by a snapshot like certain Android forks.)

• Reply 17 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

There isn't an LCD panel that looks halfway decent when compared to a good plasma--except for the latest iPad. Apple will have to accomplish a feat of that stature (in a much larger panel) to impress. Unfortunately most consumers seem more attracted to garish color, such as offered by the usual LCD TVs and Samsung AMOLEDs. But then Apple doesn't cater to most consumers. It promises to be interesting.

• Reply 18 of 49
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

If they release a TV that looks like an iMac/Apple Display -- overly tall aluminum stand and all;  I'll shoot myself.  Grrrrrrross.

It's well past the time for a new form factor that doesn't emulate any of their other products.

• Reply 19 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He's still saying that. This is for those that like their Samsung etc tvs and aren't ready to buy a 'real Apple tv'. 

And I call BS. First on the change of shape from a puck to a bar. Don't see it. Second on the notion that they would had a camera to the bar/puck. That you could only get that in the Apple Display would be a selling point for the display. Until then you'll have use the camera in your iphone/ipad (not unlike the guy in the Wii U video from yesterday) for your FaceTime and you get no motion control. 

And note that I said Apple DISPLAY not TV. Because that's what I think this really is. The Apple TV will stay what it is not, a box. the bigger unit is a revamp of the Apple Cinema Display line. Thinner body, built in wall mount hardware, HDMI inputs, Retina level display etc. You can use it with your computer, your apple tv, your blu-ray etc. Same camera, usb etc like the current ACD. New bigger sizes that will only be sold online but like other online items you can have shipped to you or to a store for Personal Pickup. At least in the areas with smaller stores. Big shops like in NYC will have a unit or two of each size in stock since they have the space

• Reply 20 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

I wonder if we'll ever get an update that enables the viewing of iTunes LP on the Apple TV... like the original one could do years ago. :(

And the Extras. Apple TV and iPad. 

Not to mention some kind of system that if I get one of those apps like Warners has put out I can view the movie in or out of the app. There should be some way since the movie was bought in app via iTunes to sync it up. Same if I bought the movie before the app came out. It shows as 'bought' in the app so I can stream it on the road, see the features etc.