Apple launches 0.71" thick next-generation MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display

Comments

• Reply 101 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

* GT 650M.  I can't find any benmarks on it.  If someone finds one please link it

Specs are here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

• Reply 102 of 254
    atokoschatokosch Posts: 46member

I love it! The only thing Apple made me mad about is the MagSafe 2 adapter to the computer, they used to have the while one then they changed it and made it better with the metal one that is an L shape and it wasnt an awkward cord on your desk you could hide it, and now they reintroduce it with the MagSafe 2? I didnt own a Mac when that MagSafe was out(White one), but i have family members that have it and i hate it, i will always stick with the L shaped metal one, it is way more convient for me, they need to have both so people can chose from, but other than they i love this computer! I have a 2010 MacBook Pro that is a little over a year old and i will probably upgrade to this and us my old MacBook Pro for my work laptop, my work laptop is barely hanging on, and this is a good excuse to get the latest and greatest!!! I will just BURN A HOLE IN MY POCKET BUYING THIS APPLE, make it like 1699 or so please!!

• Reply 103 of 254
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

Check out prices for iTunes VIPs (iBookstore sellers, etc.)

I like those prices :D

New MacBook Pros

• Reply 104 of 254
    mjbauermjbauer Posts: 11member

Actually I just ordered one (with the 2.7) and 8GB and with my NAPP discount it was under $2900

The base is $2200

• Reply 105 of 254

Please, try reading more accurately.

I said that was one option and will happen with some, or many, old applications.

I then said what you said!

"The GPU will take each pixel and make 4 pixels." What you left-out -- and what no one understands here is, "The GPU can interpolate (average) pixels to GUESS at the pixel that would be between the two real pixels. (That's 4X upscaling.) But, upscaling is never used when quality is important. BECAUSE NO REAL INFORMATION IS ADDED! ONLY FAKE INFORMATION IS ADDED. EACH PIXEL SIMPLY GETS FATTER.

Sure the bit-mapped image is now larger, but it's not more clear because nothing can make more REAL detail. Not only is it not a more clear image -- it is less accurate AND has artifacts caused by guessing every other pixel.

PS1: Saying it's like going from one iPhone to another is irrelevant because one doesn't pay $2000 for use Adobe applications on an iPhone. Or, $2000 for Avid Media Composer.

PS2: How is it no one here knows SSD devices get slower over time AND often simply hang for awhile as they work to get their speed back. Go read about SSDs.

• Reply 106 of 254

Holy sheeeesh 3000 bucks a pop for  the new Retina baby!! too much ( it IS 3k with tax,  and yea im talking 512GB SSD like the 200GB is gonna cut it for anyone)

Damn, looks like i'll need to stick to the current MBP.

• Reply 107 of 254
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    bahhumbug wrote: »

I understand what you're talking about, I think you're making too big of a deal about it. A lot of the App store apps are ready for HiDPI. Without available hardware, there's little reason for developers of big apps to rework their apps, it's a chicken-and-egg problem. But it looks like all of Apple's current first-party software has already been upgraded.

Then just wait until your applications get updated. You're spinning your position like a troll. A 2x multiplication on pixels split into two gets you the same image that you got before. Sure, it won't look like the rest of the computer, but that's at least backwards compatibility while you wait for an app update.

I can't wait until CAD software gets updated to take advantage of HiDPI. Say hello to much smaller quantization errors! The same goes for vector illustrations.
  • Reply 108 of 254
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Mann View Post

Holy sheeeesh 3000 bucks a pop for a the new Retina baby!! too much ( it IS 3k with tax,  and yea im talking 512GB SSD like the 200GB is gonna cut it for anyone)

What are all you people LOOKING at?! It's $2,199. No, they don't have $800 in tax.

• Reply 109 of 254
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

More like, "BA HA HA HA HA HA No Ethernet?! Failure!"

Of course this thing is going to be $3,000 BASE price… Just watch.

They have TWO Thunderbolt ports and if you NEED ethernet, you can get a Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter.  Wah, wah, wah....  That's not a failure, most laptop users use WiFi anyway.  So your case is kind of moot.  I would rather have TWO Thunderbolts than ONE Thunderbolt and ONE Ethernet (that probably may not even get used).

• Reply 110 of 254

cancel

• Reply 111 of 254
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

They have TWO Thunderbolt ports and if you NEED ethernet, you can get a Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter.  Wah, wah, wah....  That's not a failure, most laptop users use WiFi anyway.  So your case is kind of moot.  I would rather have TWO Thunderbolts than ONE Thunderbolt and ONE Ethernet (that probably may not even get used).

I'm really glad they did that. Three would have been better, but baby steps. Eventually no one will be using USB at all.

• Reply 112 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What are all you people LOOKING at?! It's $2,199. No, they don't have $800 in tax.

Didnt you read my post?? its $2799 for the 512 Flash drive so 2799 + tax works out to about $3000, basic maths actually.

• Reply 113 of 254
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

This is obviously a high end laptop.  Do your students similar bitch about BMWs and Lexus cars not being affordable?

Of course students bitch about BMWs and Lexus cars not being affordable.  They bitch about anything they can't afford, that's why they are STUDENTS.

• Reply 114 of 254
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahHumbug View Post

"Like the iPhone and iPad before it, the new Retina display has pixels so small that Apple says your eyes cannot discern them."

I've never seen A pixel on any display when viewed from a reasonable distance.

200dpi! Do you have any idea how an email sent at 12pt is going to be read. It can't be read! An image in a do it your self website will be the size of a postage stamp! IfSafari tries to blow it up -- it will just be blurry.

And ONLY Mac applications will work. Try using an Adobe or Avid editor. Sure you'll get a whole lot more of the editor on the screen. But, every button -- every bit of text -- will be 4 times smaller!

Who want's 1080p in a tiny window!

All during the presentation I watched the stock fall over $5!

Further proof that Apple is so ahead of the consumer tech game (from what we've seen in this keynote especially) that people STILL don't understand Apple's display technologies. And that's just ONE piece of the Apple ecosystem puzzle. 

Apple just dropped a bomb on the entire PC industry - and not just with Retina displays, rendering most current non-Apple notebook offerings into pure junk. You can bet every cpu cycle in your Dell that after this keynote, the competition is running back to their laughable R&D departments in absolute panic. 

Get with the program. 

• Reply 115 of 254
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Apple has gone too far and it will come back and bite them in the ass, no matter what the apologists are saying.

It's not that the pro is pricy, it's that they drop the optical and wont allow a hard drive in there because they want to control storage options to sell the highest margin model possible.

We ve been waiting for years some of us for them to drop the optical and make space for a hard disk, and they get us to pre 2008 storage levels because they won't have a hard drive there because if they do people are not going to pay ridiculously high prices for the 700gb model. Do they really believe pro users these days can get by with 256gbs of ram?

Adding insult to injury the soldered ram means a pro model won't have the benefit of being upgraded in the future. You pay apple's overpriced ram or get stuck with 8gb forever. And for no technological reason whatsoever, no matter what they might say about thinness and soldered ram. And all that with an os what anyone who's used it will tell you shouldn't have anything less than 16gbs of ram for proper pro work.

I have been in the market for a retina mac for a while now, and I ve been saving to buy one, the retina screen being my main incentive. 500gbs of storage and 16gbs of ram to future proof it plus not suffer through the memory leaks rampant in os x will see me having to pay oh about what £3000? And I still won't be getting the amount of storage I had hoped for, a fast 128gb or 256gb ssd for programs and some data and 1tb for the bulk of my files. Now I am supposed to keep my work library, my scientific papers, my photos, movies, music, my audiobooks on storage that is something a White MacBook had circa 2007 (?)...

And all that for a screen that costs them an extra $80.

They have pushed it way too far this time, others will come along with a similar slim design add royally ample hard drive storage, upgradable and reasonably priced ram... They ve dropped the ball big time...
  • Reply 116 of 254
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    What most people seem to be missing is that as a retina display it will be used to make normal sized images sharper, not everything four times smaller. As a result, windows manufacturers don't have an easy recourse to copy the display because windows isn't resolution independent.

Yes I can see the HP or Sony copy cat version with this resolution ... it will have to come with a magnifying glass to see the icons.
  • Reply 117 of 254
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Further proof that Apple is so ahead of the consumer tech game (from what we've seen in this keynote especially) that people STILL don't understand Apple's display technologies. And that's just ONE piece of the Apple ecosystem puzzle. 

Apple just dropped a bomb on the entire PC industry - and not just with Retina displays, rendering most current non-Apple notebook offerings into pure junk. You can bet every cpu cycle in your Dell that after this keynote, the competition is running back to their laughable R&D departments in absolute panic. 

Get with the program. 

lol can you get anymore overdramatic? Yes it looks like a fantastic laptop but I doubt that all the other vendors are going to close up shop just yet.

• Reply 118 of 254
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebensmuede View Post

Why in the world would they drop the Audio In port on a Pro notebook?

You can, of course, use an adapter, but who wants to fiddle around with that...

Did they also drop the digital capabilities of their audio out port? It's not mentioned in tech specs any more.

Steve

• Reply 119 of 254
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Only thru the first page, but looking at teh store, Maxing one of the new Retina MBPs [Processor (the faster i7 has 8MB L3 cache instead of 6MB), RAM, SSD] and you are now loooking at $3749.  Early adopters are certainly going to pay a nice premium for that pimped out system.  I still want one :)  BTW, not all teh apps they pointed out are pro.  They pointed out that Diablo 3 has been upgraded to run at the res of the new MBP.  2880*1800 demon slaughter.  Yes please :)  I mean shit, they called out gamers specifically and they weren't talking about iOS.

• Reply 120 of 254
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    randy mann wrote: »
    Didnt you read my post?? its $2799 for the 512 Flash drive so 2799 + tax works out to about $3000, basic maths actually.

I bet they have even higher capacity options but as you point out the cost escalates rapidly which is why they probably steered clear of discussing BTO and prices. I wonder how easily the Flash drives can be replaced, it would really nice if the are a simply slot in and out and even better if it could take two ... I doubt both of these things will be true of course.

3rd party SSD will be the cheapest way to go, but the lowest end machine and upgrade it yourself.