Rendered photos depict assembled next-gen iPhone [u]

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A set of rendered photos depict a what fully-assembled version of Apple's 2012 iPhone may look like, based on previously leaked components [updated].

The renders, which were published by Chinese site iPhone中文网 (Google Translation, via MacOtakara), are based on rumors that have suggested the next iPhone will have a smaller dock, larger speakers and a metal back. While the original report was duped by the pictures, they originally stem from a Flickr user, who explained they were modeled in Rhinoceros 3D and are an authentic looking forgery.

The renders also depict the rumored longer 4-inch screen that some insiders believe is bound for the sixth-generation iPhone.

The images are based on a purported back cover part for the next-generation iPhone that appeared on line last week. Both alleged leaks feature a headphone jack on the bottom of the device, a smaller "mini-dock" and larger speakers. In late May, a similar-looking part also surfaced online, though that part contained a suspicious looking font that called into question its authenticity.

The original report suggested the renders could be legitimate, noting they did not seem to have a "trace" of editing in Adobe Photoshop, though it did hedge the veracity of the photos by labeling the images as unconfirmed. The publication acknowledged the photos were "really incredible," while calling them the "most-possible" leak of the next-generation iPhone.

Purported iPhone leak

Purported iPhone leak

Purported iPhone leak

Purported iPhone leak

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82

Wasn't sure from the previous photos if I would like this but this looks hot. I like the black metal edge trim.

• Reply 2 of 82
    davexldavexl Posts: 2member

Excellent 3D rendering.

Look at the scale of the wood, lack of fingerprints etc.

• Reply 3 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by davexl View Post

Excellent 3D rendering.

I know, right? Even included some random scuff marks / scratches on the 2nd and 3rd photos.

• Reply 4 of 82
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Yes. Because this is the angle from which all of us view our phones…

Come on, if you actually had the parts, you'd take proper images.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davexl View Post

…lack of fingerprints… 

They're right there… 

• Reply 5 of 82
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

I'd love to see an iPhone with a 1080p screen.  Too bad that's not going to happen.  But I can always dream.

Now back to reality... I don't like the fact that the phone only got taller instead of taller and wider.  I'd prefer the original 3:2 dimension with a 4.0" screen size instead of the now 16:9 dimension which will make my apps all have black bars.  I don't mind the less dense pixel density due to screen size increase with the same resolution. On the other hand, I can't afford to upgrade this time around anyway, unless Sprint decides to let us upgrade at a discounted price like they did last Christmas.  Here's hoping they do that.  I seriously need to have LTE instead of being stuck with the super slow 0.05 Mbps that I currently get with their "3G."  I might use that to threaten them that if they don't let me upgrade to an LTE device at a reasonable upgrade price, they'll lose me as a customer as soon as my contract expires. 

• Reply 6 of 82
    davexldavexl Posts: 2member

Actually the biggest thing for me (as a photographer/3D renderer) that I find unconvincing is the bokeh - the first shot depth of field looks wrong.

The blacks look too black, the scale of everything is off. It screams HDR environment map...

• Reply 7 of 82
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by davexl View Post

Excellent 3D rendering.

I see fingerprints on the third photo... the back of the phone has fingerprints but that's a strange way to hold the phone... Anyway, the scare of the wood looks like they're about 1/2 an inch wide... excellent 3D rendering indeed!

• Reply 8 of 82
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Its not that hard to build a prototype from a theoretical design. It doesn't have to be functional, just look right.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    If the photos are real, the phone is not running iOS 6.0. As you can see, the maps app is represented by the old maps icon. It is unlikely that a prototype phone would be running iOS 5 instead of a beta of iOS 6.
  • Reply 10 of 82

Dunno if it's real or not, but previous leaks pegged the new headphone jack to be on the bottom left (when viewing the phone's face). These position it on the bottom right...

• Reply 11 of 82

This is a fake generally leak photos are done with the Bury cam! Until I can't see it I don't believe it. 

But really 

The pictures at such horrid angles leads me to believe its fake or an intentional leak. If you are leaking the device why half-ass it.

• Reply 12 of 82

Looks like the real thing no doubt, i like it, in for one!

• Reply 13 of 82

I find it suspicious that these purported leaked photos were posted to a Chinese website but feature a phone connected to AT&T's network (at 5 bars no less!) 

• Reply 14 of 82
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Glass screen is not level from top to bottom.

Shadow in 3rd image down appears blurred in spots, and not quite at the proper level of shading and depth.

And who takes pictures of a new phone at these angles?
  • Reply 15 of 82
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member

this does seem the most strange thing of all, unless of course they were taken in the US by an apple employee who leaked it to a Chinese site to cover his tracks.. 

• Reply 16 of 82
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

On the back it almost looks plastic in the middle.  Maybe anodized aluminum?  I see there is a what looks like a microphone next to the camera, or maybe a light senior or both?  I like the black look though.  It looks nice.  I wonder if the camera is higher in megapixels?

• Reply 17 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Mann View Post

Looks like the real thing no doubt, i like it, in for one!

I'm not so sure I do. And I'm not so sure it's real.

There's a few issues that bug me with this 'model' - namely the vertical spacing of the camera between the glass/aluminum trim and the top of the phone isn't symmetrical, the spacing and size of the microphone compared to the speaker is totally off, and I for one actually like the headphone jack at the top left of the device.

While I'm sure Apple's designers couldn't care less about where the headphone jack is, surely they'd have considered the first two points I raised.

Not a fan so far, if this is the really the new iPhone.

• Reply 18 of 82
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

I'd love to see an iPhone with a 1080p screen.  Too bad that's not going to happen.  But I can always dream.

Now back to reality... I don't like the fact that the phone only got taller instead of taller and wider.  I'd prefer the original 3:2 dimension with a 4.0" screen size instead of the now 16:9 dimension which will make my apps all have black bars.  I don't mind the less dense pixel density due to screen size increase with the same resolution. On the other hand, I can't afford to upgrade this time around anyway, unless Sprint decides to let us upgrade at a discounted price like they did last Christmas.  Here's hoping they do that.  I seriously need to have LTE instead of being stuck with the super slow 0.05 Mbps that I currently get with their "3G."  I might use that to threaten them that if they don't let me upgrade to an LTE device at a reasonable upgrade price, they'll lose me as a customer as soon as my contract expires. 

Kinda reminds me of the iPod Nano when the screen got really tall.  Was kinda funny looking.  Maybe they will widen the screen after this revision.  Of course there will be an iPhone 5s with similar and minor upgrade specs as this one probably.

• Reply 19 of 82
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

They looks fake. First, the date (Monday?) the 7th means it was taken last month. Second, the maps icon is iOS 5 icon not the new one. I would expect the next generation iPhone to be running iOS 6 not 5.

However, I do believe this design is the real deal. Remember that the iPhone 4 was leaked weeks before Gizmodo got their hands on it and no one even noticed.

• Reply 20 of 82

though one would wonder how'd the "leaker" ever get past the "doubled down" security not 1 but  2 new iPhones??