Aggressive pricing seen as key to Microsoft Surface's chance of success

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 128
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    icoco3 wrote: »
    Microsoft:  "Here is our hype, you can buy it sometime in the future."

Apple:  "Here is what you can do with it, shipping in 10 days."

Actually, no. When Apple first announced the iPhone, it was six months before the phone was available. When they first announced the iPad, it was four months before. It's only after they had the product line out that they only announced the new product shortly before availability.

So there's nothing odd about Microsoft announcing months before they arrive.
  • Reply 122 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    melgross wrote: »
    Actually, no. When Apple first announced the iPhone, it was six months before the phone was available. When they first announced the iPad, it was four months before. It's only after they had the product line out that they only announced the new product shortly before availability.

At least Apple gave a release date and price.
  • Reply 123 of 128
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

True and Microsoft has a history of announcements with long delays to delivery.

We never got to see the Surface actually work.

It crashed when he wanted to show something.

Pictures on microsoft.com are: "Images are design renderings and not photographs."

Was a product actually shown?

I hope MS does well with it, maybe also announcing it will be a kick in the pants for partners to get going and make devices for the OS as well.

Time will tell and the clock is ticking.  We reserve judgement for when a real product is actually released.

• Reply 124 of 128
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    melgross wrote: »

True, but…

The iPhone was announced six months early because they felt that FCC approval wouldl leak the device.

I don't recall the original iPad being four months.

But, in both cases there were complete live demos and some hands on by outsiders.

The PlayBook and Surface announcements showed prototypes, few demos and no hands on... These cannot be perceived as real devices.
  • Reply 125 of 128

Absolutely! I'm not arguing that. This presentation was terrible, and even embarrassing at times. Just responding to his assertion as to the early announcement.
  • Reply 126 of 128
    True, but…
    The iPhone was announced six months early because they felt that FCC approval wouldl leak the device.
    I don't recall the original iPad being four months.
    But, in both cases there were complete live demos and some hands on by outsiders.
    The PlayBook and Surface announcements showed prototypes, few demos and no hands on... These cannot be perceived as real devices.

The iPad was four months. It was supposed to be three, but high presales demand forced them to put it off by a month. It should have been out in Mid March, but instead came out in April. I've bought every model the first day available. The first was bought in May, because I get the 3G models, and that was delayed by a month after the WiFI model came out.

So announcement in early January, release in April and May.

I don't agree so much about the FCC concern. They could have waited another two months if that was the major concern. They wanted to hype it up. That's one thing they do very well, and it was a very good idea. It drummed up support while forcing people to wait, and not buy other product.

I have some experience with the FCC for some of my own products. They will keep things secret until the date of the end of testing if asked. They have a very good understanding for the need of secrecy.
  • Reply 127 of 128
    All I see in this is the strategic goal of: build a device and hopefully make HW profits and put our OEM partners out of business, in what appears to be a shrinking market.

So far... Microsoft has one product that competes with the OEMs. (and it has only been announced... but no price, no release date)

And that's gonna put the OEMs out of business?

Pass me some of what you're smokin'

:-)
  • Reply 128 of 128
    So far... Microsoft has one product that competes with the OEMs. (and it has only been announced... but no price, no release date)
    And that's gonna put the OEMs out of business?
    Pass me some of what you're smokin'
    :-)

This is actually a concern written about on many of the financial and professional computer sites. They believe that Microsoft is going the Apple way with this. According to them, these aren't just reference designs such as what Google does, but class leading products. If its true that Microsoft is charging $85 for the OS (possibly including a version of Office on RT), then that will leave their partners at a disadvantage in pricing, if Microsoft prices this around iPad pricing for the RT model, and Ultrabook pricing for the Pro model.

Why buy a HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc model if these, direct from Microsoft are nicer, at about the same price? No reason at all.

It's said that Microsoft is seeing the higher overall price of hardware, and the larger profits per piece that Apple gets, and wants to go the same way. We can see how large Apple is now relative to Microsoft, and this disparity will get a lot larger this year.

This all makes sense.