Apple reportedly adopting 19-pin dock connector for 2012 iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47

I think Apple is crazy if they do this. I have multiple speakers and alarm radios that use the existing plug for my multiple idevices. To abandon multi Apple device users like myself to get a tiny bit of space back is just crazy, it will impact my decision on whether to go to iphone5. Steve Jobs would not have done something this stupid! 

• Reply 22 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mikeyeli wrote: »
    I think Apple is crazy if they do this. I have multiple speakers and alarm radios that use the existing plug for my multiple idevices. To abandon multi Apple device users like myself to get a tiny bit of space back is just crazy…

$10 adapter. Boom. The only crazy thing here is people claiming Apple should ignore the future and keep the same port.
    …iphone5.

iPhone.
    Steve Jobs would not have done something this stupid! 

This is getting extraordinarily old, particularly since one of the highlights of his entire career was doing this. Dozens of times. To every product they make, reshaping the entire industry every single time.

EDIT:

Aside: It's interesting… You're online, but… …Interesting.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Sounded like it was possible a couple years back in Europe.

that was due to legal issues. Apple got them to agree to letting them keep the DC so long as they gave folks in Europe a free adapter to use with their standardized power cables to recharge their phones. 

personally I think at some point they likely will reduce the dock connector but not until wifi syncing and/or thunderbolt adoption is way more wide spread. 

• Reply 24 of 47
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyeli View Post

I think Apple is crazy if they do this. I have multiple speakers and alarm radios that use the existing plug for my multiple idevices. To abandon multi Apple device users like myself to get a tiny bit of space back is just crazy, it will impact my decision on whether to go to iphone5. Steve Jobs would not have done something this stupid! 

Simple adapter should do it. Not a big deal. I've got an RMBP on order that uses MagSafe 2 and 2 adapters to make my TB display and spare charger compatible. Bit ugly, but hardly the end of the world.

• Reply 25 of 47
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Looks very legit.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

Thunderbolt: a single connection to rule them all. Soon on iOS besides the current Mac. REVOLUTIONARY!
  • Reply 27 of 47
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Uh, yeah - I had the 12v to 5v adapter for my older car interface and it was a hot, heavy POS that constantly fell out of the 30 pin connectors. I have to agree that his would be Ill-advised. It also removes a selling point of iPhone over an Android phone.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

For those who listen to Mac Break Weekly I agree with Andy Ihnatko.  I'm all for moving forward with a design as long as it is adding some form of functionality.  For example, the need to potentially carry a dongle for the new MBP to be able to use an extra $80 power I have at home, then a $30 adapter for when I'm on the road and somewhere with no Wi-Fi, is a pain in the a$$.  Especially when its done to save a mm or two.  When it's all said and done it's still a freaking 15" laptop.  What's all that inconvenience give me?  The ability to shove a few extra papers in to my laptop bag?  Sorry not worth it.

There are millions of existing accessories out there for the 30-pin.  It'll be a huge inconvenience and expense for the next 2-3 years for every one who owns an iPad, iPhone, iPod.  If the rumors are true I hope the design is for a super secret feature yet to be named....

• Reply 29 of 47
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

$10 adapter. Boom. The only crazy thing here is people claiming Apple should ignore the future and keep the same port.

How convenient and pretty to have to move around another mandatory proprietary adapter to put on top of your existing third parties devices, so great. Never ever could they have at least evolved toward a dock using industry ubiquitous and standard ports like microUSB, god forbids.

edit: moreover even less open, "the new power connector will have a chip on both ends of the cable, giving Apple total control and leaving device manufacturers unable to make unlicensed third-party accessories."

cf. http://www.slashgear.com/new-iphone-port-tipped-to-lock-out-unlicensed-accessories-21235103/

• Reply 30 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

moreover even less open, "the new power connector will have a chip on both ends of the cable, giving Apple total control and leaving device manufacturers unable to make unlicensed third-party accessories."

cf. http://www.slashgear.com/new-iphone-port-tipped-to-lock-out-unlicensed-accessories-21235103/

You link to an article about the possibility of a magnetic connector on the next iPhone and you moan about the technology changing?  I suppose you still listen to cassette tapes and watch video tapes?

Some people always find something to moan about

• Reply 31 of 47
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

How convenient and pretty to have to move around another mandatory proprietary adapter to put on top of your existing third parties devices, so great. Never ever could they have at least evolved toward a dock using industry ubiquitous and standard ports like microUSB, god forbids. ...

This is just crazy talk.  

It's impossible to replace the 30 pin connector with microUSB or Firewire or any of the "standard" ports.  Apple would have to put 3 ports on it instead of one and there wouldn't be room for that.  If they had gone with just one connector and eschewed all the missing compatibility, they would have had to change it over the years from Firewire to USB to USB 2 to USB 3 anyway and nothing would be compatible with anything else from the start.  At lead with the 30 pin connector we've had ten years of compatibility with no adapters.  The very thing you are complaining about is actually enabled by the technology you are dissing here.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

... even less open, "the new power connector will have a chip on both ends of the cable, giving Apple total control and leaving device manufacturers unable to make unlicensed third-party accessories."

Any decent high speed data cable has a "chip" in the cable and/or in the devices it connects to.  Firewire works because the chip is mandated in each firewire compatible device for instance.  Thunderbolt puts the chip in the cable.  

You don't seem to know much about what you are criticising here. 

• Reply 32 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is just crazy talk.

It's impossible to replace the 30 pin connector with microUSB or Firewire or any of the "standard" ports.  Apple would have to put 3 ports on it instead of one and there wouldn't be room for that.  If they had gone with just one connector and eschewed all the missing compatibility, they would have had to change it over the years from Firewire to USB to USB 2 to USB 3 anyway and nothing would be compatible with anything else from the start.  At lead with the 30 pin connector we've had ten years of compatibility with no adapters.  The very thing you are complaining about is actually enabled by the technology you are dissing here.  

I don't understand why they need so many pins anyway. I know at some point there was an HDMI adapter which probably used a few, however I doubt many people use that, especially now that we have Airplay. Every time I plug my iOS device into a charger or a computer the other end is always USB anyway so why do they need anything more than USB on the other end. Apple can do absolutely anything with just USB including completely replacing the entire OS. What exactly do they do with the other pins?

• Reply 33 of 47
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    razorpit wrote: »
    For those who listen to Mac Break Weekly I agree with Andy Ihnatko.  I'm all for moving forward with a design as long as it is adding some form of functionality.  For example, the need to potentially carry a dongle for the new MBP to be able to use an extra $80 power I have at home, then a $30 adapter for when I'm on the road and somewhere with no Wi-Fi, is a pain in the a$$.  Especially when its done to save a mm or two.  When it's all said and done it's still a freaking 15" laptop.  What's all that inconvenience give me?  The ability to shove a few extra papers in to my laptop bag?  Sorry not worth it.

There are millions of existing accessories out there for the 30-pin.  It'll be a huge inconvenience and expense for the next 2-3 years for every one who owns an iPad, iPhone, iPod.  If the rumors are true I hope the design is for a super secret feature yet to be named....

I agree, Apple would be filling in one of its moats by changing the dock connector. The ability to reuse your accessories with multiple devices is a tremendous incentive to stick with an iOS device in the future. For example, I'm still using the Apple Universal Dock I bought with my long gone iPod Video, and I have a iHealth blood pressure dock that I have used with my iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

And I just got my Elevation Dock, dammit! =)
  • Reply 34 of 47
    sensi wrote: »
    the new power connector will have a chip on both ends of the cable, giving Apple total control and leaving device manufacturers unable to make unlicensed third-party accessories.

I love that you think this is somehow a bad thing.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    andreidandreid Posts: 96member
    Agree. Using thunderbolt should be nice and equip the latest iPhone with ultra fast flash memory ...
  • Reply 36 of 47
    andreid wrote: »
    Agree. This should be nice and equip the latest iPhone with ultra fast flash memory …

You know, that's the only thing I ever hear as an excuse for why there shouldn't be Thunderbolt pins on the new port. "The NAND chips can't write fast enough"… SO MAKE FASTER NAND CHIPS! My stars, we're supposed to be held back because of that? NO; this is how you move forward. You don't say, "Well, it can't be taken advantage of now, so we may as well not do it," because then the chip makers say, "Well, the port can't go any faster than this, so there's no sense in making chips that can write that fast."
  • Reply 37 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    An Italian site has an interesting take on the dock change. They suggest it will allow for Apple's needed pins but also be backwards compatible with micro-USB for chargers. They also suggest that the movement of the stereo jack could be for an adapter that would allow current docks to work with the new design.

[LIST][*]http://gizmodo.com/5920925/new-iphone-5-dock-connector-could-be-a-modified-micro+usb-port [/LIST]

[INDENT][URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/169193/width/600/height/338][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/169193/width/600/height/338[/IMG][/URL]
    [/INDENT]

PS: Gizmodo doesn't mention it but I'd say audio would still go through the dock port with the stereo jack only providing support for the adapter.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    solipsismx wrote: »
    An Italian site has an interesting take on the dock change. They suggest it will allow for Apple's needed pins but also be backwards compatible with micro-USB for chargers. They also suggest that the movement of the stereo jack could be for an adapter that would allow current docks to work with the new design.

Now there's an idea. And it explains the movement of the 3.5mm jack (though if that's the only reason for the move, I'll be somewhat upset).
  • Reply 39 of 47
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I bet having the jack on the bottom is for FaceTime calls. I generally have headphones on when talking to the wife and son, the cord is usually in the way because I often flip back and forth with the cameras. Plus the cord is always in the way when taking pictures and listening to something at the same time.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    andreidandreid Posts: 96member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You know, that's the only thing I ever hear as an excuse for why there shouldn't be Thunderbolt pins on the new port. "The NAND chips can't write fast enough"… SO MAKE FASTER NAND CHIPS! My stars, we're supposed to be held back because of that? NO; this is how you move forward. You don't say, "Well, it can't be taken advantage of now, so we may as well not do it," because then the chip makers say, "Well, the port can't go any faster than this, so there's no sense in making chips that can write that fast."

hahah agree!! I may be new to the forum but i've read a couple of your posts in various threads and i like your style very much, your logic and the way you put it into words. Regards!