Apple reportedly adopting 19-pin dock connector for 2012 iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

hahah agree!! I may be new to the forum but i've read a couple of your posts in various threads and i like your style very much, your logic and the way you put it into words. Regards!

Wow thats just scary lol

• Reply 42 of 47
    andreidandreid Posts: 96member

Nah, unless if you tend to not think straight :P Pun intended! 

• Reply 43 of 47
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member

Wireless is never a better solution than wired. It might be more convenient but it will never be more reliable. Never!

• Reply 44 of 47
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member

Wireless is never a better solution than wired. It might be more convenient but it will never be more reliable. Never!

• Reply 45 of 47
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    n2macs wrote: »

Never, but wireless is simply, here to stay, and all good. The moment anyone hits generally reliable 15mbit/sec down broadband, wired syncing is... no more, no more.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    andreidandreid Posts: 96member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Never, but wireless is simply, here to stay, and all good. The moment anyone hits generally reliable 15mbit/sec down broadband, wired syncing is... no more, no more.

I can't agree with this. 15mb/s equals roughly 1,8MB/sec which is very very slow to copy for example a big movie library to the iPhone or iPad. Not to mention that in the process of the copy you would probably loose 25% or more of the battery of the device. 

Moreover, tried personal hotspot on wireless/bluetooth? It's a nightmare.

And generally speaking wireless technology in today's technical concept can never reach the same latency and the same bandwidth as wired, latency being here a keyword. I for one will bow admit  the wireless true power when i'll see server farms communicating wireless to and with each other. Till then it's a nice thing to have to stream some youtube clips on your iPad or surf the net casually.

• Reply 47 of 47
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    andreid wrote: »
    I can't agree with this. 15mb/s equals roughly 1,8MB/sec which is very very slow to copy for example a big movie library to the iPhone or iPad. Not to mention that in the process of the copy you would probably loose 25% or more of the battery of the device. 

Moreover, tried personal hotspot on wireless/bluetooth? It's a nightmare.

And generally speaking wireless technology in today's technical concept can never reach the same latency and the same bandwidth as wired, latency being here a keyword. I for one will bow admit  the wireless true power when i'll see server farms communicating wireless to and with each other. Till then it's a nice thing to have to stream some youtube clips on your iPad or surf the net casually.

Fair enough... But I meant 15mbit/s down on an iPad or iPhone for yes, casual use and syncing using Dropbox, iCloud backup and so on. That's all sweet. For syncing between devices on an internal wireless network, then 802.11n syncing is okay (25mbit/s throughput?), but not for "hardcore" use.

So I guess I was a bit flippant but for most consumer use wireless (as in to the Internet) and wireless LAN is good enough nowadays. iPhone users especially, ask them what syncing to a computer is, they mostly have no clue whatsoever. They'll have thousands of pictures on their phone that's never been synced anywhere before in their life.

FWIW I no longer sync my devices with each other anymore. iCloud and Dropbox does everything I need. But also the only media I listen to nowadays is either Di.FM streaming on 3G or WiFi, and then Podcasts app ~ it just downloads stuff as needed over WiFi.

What can I say... Cut the cords, simplify your life. That's my mantra. Obviously not applicable for heavy media users.