Apple reportedly adopting 19-pin dock connector for 2012 iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Multiple manufacturers have independently indicated that Apple is planning to shrink its 30-pin dock connector to a 19-pin port in the next iPhone, according to a new report.

Though rumors of an upcoming "mini dock" connector for Apple's next-generation iOS devices have swirled for some time now, TechCrunch on Wednesday offered the most confident claim yet about Apple's plans for it by reporting that it had "independently verified" and "confirmed" the company is prepping a smaller 19-pin port for inclusion on its next iPhone.

According to the report, three independent manufacturers said Apple was working on the connector, adding that accessory makers are currently in limbo as they wait for Apple to officially announce the new standard, which will presumably be incompatible with current accessories. The new port would reportedly come close in size to the Thunderbolt port found on Apple's newest Macs, but it is not expected to have the same "pin-out."

Author John Biggs added that a purported video of the next-generation iPhone that surfaced earlier this month partially showed the new connector. That video appeared to show a sixth-generation iPhone metal back plate component with a smaller dock port.

The main reason for the new port is believed to be Apple's continual quest to free up space in its mobile devices. The dock connector was first introduced in 2003 in the third-generation iPod. The advent of iCloud and wireless syncing has also reduced user reliance on the dock connector.

At the least, Apple is hiring engineers to work on new iPod connectors. Late last month, the company posted job listings for design engineers who would help manage "multiple connector designs and developments."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Late last month, the company posted job listings for design engineers who would help manage "multiple connector designs and developments."

Wow! Those new engineers worked FAST! 

• Reply 2 of 47
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

What happened with Apple supposably using a standard USB connector a while back?

• Reply 3 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    What happened with Apple supposably using a standard USB connector a while back?

Did anyone actually believe they'd do that?
  • Reply 4 of 47
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did anyone actually believe they'd do that?

Sounded like it was possible a couple years back in Europe.

• Reply 5 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    Sounded like it was possible a couple years back in Europe.

Some people foolishly contorted the universal charging solution to mean Apple would put a micro-USB port on all their portable devices.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Some people foolishly contorted the universal charging solution to mean Apple would put a micro-USB port on all their portable devices.

And some people foolishly proclaimed that Apple would never put an HDMI port on a MBP. Ever.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    isheldon wrote: »
    And some people foolishly proclaimed that Apple would never put an HDMI port on a MBP. Ever.

If you're implying I said that with your off topic comment then prove it. I still stand by my desire to not have it there over a 3rd USB port but that is not the same as saying Apple would never do something, especially since they've already done it in their Mac mini which seems just as likely to be connected to an HDTV since OS X no longer has Front Row.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member

The 30-pin dock was great while it lasted.  However, all the pins are no longer needed.

When it first came, it didn't use every pin.  When firewire was dropped, so can be the pins FW used to use.

Based on this pinout, there are also some pins no longer needed: http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

• Reply 9 of 47

What would you use all 3 USB ports for?

• Reply 10 of 47
    eriamjh wrote: »
    The 30-pin dock was great while it lasted.  However, all the pins are no longer needed.

When it first came, it didn't use every pin.  When firewire was dropped, so can be the pins FW used to use.

Based on this pinout, there are also some pins no longer needed: http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

I'm counting 8 specifically for FW and nothing else. That brings it down to 22 without even considering other changes that I assume would be possible a decade later.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    If you're implying I said that with your off topic comment then prove it. I still stand by my desire to not have it there over a 3rd USB port but that is not the same as saying Apple would never do something, especially since they've already done it in their Mac mini which seems just as likely to be connected to an HDTV since OS X no longer has Front Row.

Oh pleez, for years you swore up and down that the mini display port was the best thing invented since sliced bread and to use an adaptor and an HDMI port was soo non Apple only used by crappy Sony etal.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Oh pleez, for years you swore up and down that the mini display port was the best thing invented since sliced bread and to use an adaptor and an HDMI port was soo non Apple only used by crappy Sony teal.

You're probably confusing him with me. I often said that HDMI is a TV port and Mini DisplayPort is a computer port.

Two worlds, two different purposes, two distinct ports. For a reason. I don't at all get why Apple put an HDMI port on their laptops. One wonders if they even want to sell the Apple TV at all.

Maybe they make more money on the Apple HDMI Cable than they do on the Apple TV. But wireless is a still FAR better solution than wired, so that theory doesn't make much sense.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Oh pleez, for years you swore up and down that the mini display port was the best thing invented since sliced bread and to use an adaptor and an HDMI port was soo non Apple only used by crappy Sony etal.

1) Since sliced bread? I tend not to speak in pointless idioms.

2) Yes, I've said DisplayPort was better than HDMI as you were calling for mDP connector to be removed in favour of solely supporting HDMI. As it's been shown repeatedly DP if far superior to HDMI's capabilities.

3) I've never said Sony was crappy. It's amazing after all these years your reading comprehension is still so poor.

You're probably confusing him with me.
    He's clearly confused but it's not about the forum members. He makes foolish comments without thinking and I've called him out on them too many times. What he's confused by is how I can I have an opinion or position on a topic and not state it as an unwavering fact. That entire concept evades him.
    I often said that HDMI is a TV port and Mini DisplayPort is a computer port.
    Two worlds, two different purposes, two distinct ports. For a reason. I don't at all get why Apple put an HDMI port on their laptops.
    That's been my position as well. Him and his ilk have been calling for the replacement of every computer display port for HDMI. No middle ground. Apple has found a middle ground with the RMBP and the Mac mini before it. On the Mac mini there are 4 USB ports, which would suit me well, but on the new RMBP there are now 3 display out ports. I would have at least liked to have had a $29 TB-to-USB3.0 adapter. I don't care for Apple's choice here but it's there choice to make. That said, I might be bypassing the RMBP altogether if they offer a Retina iMac in the not to distance future.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    As it's been shown repeatedly DP if far superior to HDMI's capabilities.

Right- so now Apple has a comprehension deficiency interpreting data and providing HDMI all of a sudden.
    Talk about a lack of comprehension. Or is it misguided stubbornness on you part ?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Right- so now Apple has a comprehension deficiency interpreting data and providing HDMI all of a sudden.
    Talk about a lack of comprehension. Or is it misguided stubbornness on you part ?

Do you think before you post? Apple hasn't removed DisplayPort from their machines. It's a part of every Mac they sell.

PS: You've sufficiently jacked the thread with your nonsense. Looks like someone made today's quota.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Should be relatively easy to provide some proof of his posts then?

Interesting to see that somebody with a username created only in March 2012 would refer to comments made years back.

You been forced to change usernames once or twice for some reason? ;-)

• Reply 17 of 47
    Apple hasn't removed DisplayPort from their machines. It's a part of every Mac they sell.

Much to your dismay an HDMI port is there instead of a 3rd USB yet you insist a USB would never hit the iPhone/iPad. Enough of your drek.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    What would you use all 3 USB ports for?

Lol- did you really have to ask him that? Can't you too comprehend his every flippant thought?
  • Reply 19 of 47
    gtr wrote: »
    You been forced to change usernames once or twice for some reason? ;-)
    I think it's been a lot more than once or twice.

Much to your dismay an HDMI port is there instead of a 3rd USB yet you insist a USB would never hit the iPhone/iPad. Enough of your drek.
    Now I've insisted USB would never hit the iPhone/iPad yet that is how they charge and sync for about 9 years now since they released a Windows-capable version? Makes perfect sense¡

Oh, you mean, the silly theory that they'll add a micro-USB to the side of the iPhone in addition to the 30-pin connector that supports USB? Yeah, I've clearly stated I don't think that will happen. I've also clearly stated that the goal was to reduce incompatible chargers not to force every mobile device to support micro-USB on the device.

Note: I use terms like "I don't think" and "It's unlikely." Rarely do I ever use extreme absolutes that you're so fond of not only using but attributing to others which I assume is mostly due to your lack of objectivity, closed-mindedness, and poor reading comprehension.
  • Reply 20 of 47

Note: I use terms like "I don't think" and "It's unlikely." Rarely do I ever use extreme absolutes that you're so fond of not only using but attributing to others which I assume is mostly due to your lack of objectivity, closed-mindedness, and poor reading comprehension.

Lol- tell us more about yourself- we're all dying to hear. These self analytical diatribes are more hysterical than any Bravo reality series.