Nokia woes expected to worsen as Lumia won't run Windows Phone 8

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    melgross wrote: »
    Sure.

Excellent, you have finally got it, good lad.
  • Reply 122 of 129
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    jfanning wrote: »
    Here we go again, I am only going on about anything because of what you started

It can be seen that your memory is poor, otherwise you would remember that I didn't start it. You were reacting to someone else's statement that you didn't use the word "never" in describing the destruction of Nokia's markets. I simply pointed out, correctly, that you didn't believe that the iPhone would impact Nokia. You did say, in a post back in 2008, that it could affect Motorola, but not the others. You also did state, rather strongly, that Nokia wouldn't be dethroned by Apple, and later, Google.

You did actually say these things. But you are hung up by that one word that some poster here used. I don't know why.
  • Reply 123 of 129
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    jfanning wrote: »
    Excellent, you have finally got it, good lad.

Grow up. It's a losing cause for you.
  • Reply 124 of 129
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yaye, a primary-school feud! Can I join in? Who's winning so I may side with him? :p

• Reply 125 of 129
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    melgross wrote: »

Wow, that's a comeback I wouldn't have thought of in a million years. How about instead of the childish retorts you come up with some valid arguments? I know you are following the standard AI pattern argument patterns here, how about changing tact for a change and focus on the argument rather than the person?
  • Reply 126 of 129
    arobarob Posts: 17member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

Nokia have long since started paying the price of their attitude when the iPhone was released, and they put up the ludicrous N95 against it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the release of the iPhone should have set alarm bells ringing at Nokia, RIM and MS (at the very least). Instead of looking at the original product and saying "erm, it's rather good", they continued to churn out crap and relied on the marketing department to cover the crapness of the product. In real life, early iPhone adopters were showing off their phones and the general public was saying "that's rather nice" and buying.

Someone's remembering of history is kinda interesting (and wrong)!  The N95 came out before the iPhone.  And really, ludicrous?  The ONLY thing the original iPhone really had going for it was the touch interface.  In most other areas, most noticably hardware and build-in features of the OS, the original iPhone was very sorely lacking - hence the creation of "there's an app for that", which is anything has become the selling point for iOS than the hardware itself. Despite how much Nokia gets battered, it cannot be denied that Symbian was and still is a very powerful, feature rich OS that can do a lot more out of the box that iOS ever has (though in fairness, a lot of that is to do with Apple locking down the system making a lot of the functionality unavailable).

iOS won out in the style stakes and that was an area that Nokia was never going to be able to compete with Symbian in the short term - it was never designed around a touch interface and so for them to be able to bring out a product that would rival the iPhone was a long way off, but it's an idiot who tries to write off the OS as useless when it still offers a heck of a lot more than iOS does, and potentially ever will.

• Reply 127 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Don't believe all the speculative article you read on the Internet.

Ha! Now that comment made me chuckle lots...wish more people could keep that simple thought in mind when then they start ranting!

• Reply 128 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That is, of course, nonsense.

First, Apple's upgrades bring lots of new features to older phones. In fact, the number of new features which do NOT work on older phones is usually quite small.

Second, look at the timing. You're talking about iOS 6 features that might not work on a 4 year old phone. This article is about inability to upgrade a brand spanking new phone.

Finally, there's also the 'Android effect'. Even when a phone is capable of handling a newer version of Android, it rarely gets the update - which is why most phones are unable to upgrade to Android 3.0 or 4.0, even if they are physically capable of running it. This article suggests that the same thing will be happening in the Windows Mobile world.

You're jumping the gun a bit to assume that the WP7 to WP8 issue is going to happen with further WP updates, which I really don't think will be the case.  WP7 to WP8 is a special circumstance, as despite the similiarity in name it's a completely different OS, hence why there's a complete break in supporting hardware.  It would be like complaining that the hubcaps from your Ford Galaxy don't fit your new Monster Truck.  If a similar break happens with susbesquent WP8 upgrades then it would be a real problem and something that they would never be forgiven for.  WP7 to WP8 is a special case - an unfortunate one, but not a world-ending one.   As has been clearly said by those who can appreciate the bigger picture, current Windows Phones won't be obsolete, they just won't have the same level of upgrades as WP8.  Doesn't make them obsolete, just limited.  As much as Appleites try saying otherwise, it really is no different to features from latest iOS releases being ommited or blocked for older iPhone hardwares.  The Windows Phone example is more extreme than the Apple one, but they're aren't as disimilar as everyone wants to believe...just that Apple tries to maintain the mirage of them all being equal variants of the latest iOS when they really aren't.

• Reply 129 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

No worries, they'll release the Lumina "909" to solve that problem.  Nothing you can do about those who own a 900 though.  :)

Well, there's a pretty large sub-group which aren't even being mentioned: those who like the newest devices first, those who happily upgrade when something new comes out - get in first with WP7, happily upgrade to WP8 with a brand-spanking-new device (a trend which Apple has fantastically nurtured!)  With the great deals Nokia has done with it's Lumia series, I'm sure that there's probably a lot of users out there who don't see a problem and are happy to be with the OS as it develops.

Just because an old handset might be upgradable, doesn't stop A LOT of people buying a new device just because they want it - a lot of people will leapfrog the whole issue because, well, to them it's not an issue...there just seems to be an overriding hype from the tech media hoping that it will cause an outrage to match News Corps/The News of the World phone hacking scandals...

It's not a great thing that Microsoft has done, IMO, but to be frank it seems to be non-users reactions to the news that's created the most frenzy - all those being outraged on behalf of WP7 users more than the users themselves.