PC makers hope Apple's iPad is delaying, not replacing notebook purchases

Comments

• Reply 21 of 154
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member

My sister had a Windows PC at work, a Windows PC (Dell Laptop) at home, and a Blackberry Bold. She would make frequent remarks about how Macs weren't any good for serious business users, and the iPhone wasn't any good because it didn't have a real keyboard.

Then she changed jobs and everything started to change. She had to turn in her Blackberry to her former employer. The new employer, a university, gave her an iPhone 4. 

After using the iPhone for a couple months, she fell in love with it.  Since it was a business phone, she didn't feel fully comfortable using it for all her personal activities. So she bought an iPad 2. Now she was really hooked. "I love my iPad and I love my iPhone," were her frequent refrains.

After about six months, her HP laptop began to have problems. She was reluctant to ditch Windows because she had all of her financial information and programs there. However, her love for the iPad and iPhone drew her to the Apple retail store 'just to have a look' at the Macs. She walked out with a new MacBook Air 13" computer. I helped her set it up and move her information to Mac programs. She could have run the old programs in Windows in a virtual machine but I thought it better to migrate to new software (mainly the iWorks suite and Quicken Essentials). 

Now she's a bigger Apple fan than me. She really really loves her new MacBook Air and other devices. Along the way, she picked up an Apple TV which she uses constantly, mainly with AirPlay.

Her only complaint is that her work computer is a Dell running XP. She just hates it. So she's come full cycle over a period of about two years.

• Reply 22 of 154
    oldmacguyoldmacguy Posts: 151member

Within 3 months of getting an iPad, I sold my almost-new MBP. I will probably always have an iMac, but just have less and less need for it. Of course, my opinion is worthless, but I do see iPads (and maybe other tablets) replacing home PCs in the coming years.

• Reply 23 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

My sister had a Windows PC at work, a Windows PC at home, and a Blackberry Bold. She would make frequent remarks about how Macs weren't any good for serious business users, and the iPhone wasn't any good because it didn't have a real keyboard.

Then she changed jobs and everything started to change. She had to turn in her Blackberry to her former employer. The new employer, a university, gave her an iPhone 4. 

After using the iPhone for a couple months, she fell in love with it.  Since it was a business phone, she didn't feel fully comfortable using it for all her personal activities. So she bought an iPad 2. Now she was really hooked. "I love my iPad and I love my iPhone," were her frequent refrains.

After about six months, her HP laptop began to have problems. She was reluctant to ditch Windows because she had all of her financial information and programs there. However, her love for the iPad and iPhone drew her to the Apple retail store 'just to have a look' at the Macs. She walked out with a new MacBook Air 13" computer. I helped her set it up and move her information to Mac programs. She could have run the old programs in Windows in a virtual machine but I thought it better to migrate to new software (mainly the iWorks suite and Quicken Essentials). 

Now she's a bigger Apple fan than me. She really really loves her new MacBook Air and other devices. Along the way, she picked up an Apple TV which she uses constantly, mainly with AirPlay.

Her only complaint is that her work computer is a Dell running XP. She just hates it. So she's come full cycle over a period of about two years.

the 13" macbook air is the best value out there. period. would love to say otherwise, but, that would be a lie.

• Reply 24 of 154
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Notebook original design manufacturers who spoke with DigiTimes said although Apple's iPad continues to have strong sales, they believe its negative effect on global notebook sales is declining. They said that's because most tablet-style devices "focus on entertainment rather than working and learning."

yeah that's why all those Airlines are handing out laptops, those restaurants have their servers carrying netbooks. And have you checked out those nifty netbook POS set ups. Very slick. 

And all those schools that are switching to netbook based text books. I see a new article every 3-4 days about yet another school. And on set, everyone is walking around with a netbook or a notebook. 

Oh wait, no those were all iPads. 

Someone needs to get some therapy because they are seriously in denial about what the iPad can and is being used for. 

Fact is the bulk of consumers don't really a computer because all they are doing is email and a little web browsing. The iPad does that just fine. Some of them might have use for something to back up their stuff to 'just in case' cause they don't have faith in things like iCloud or they have too much stuff and don't want to pay more money. But for many of them, a baseline Mac Mini (or similar) attached to the home TV works just fine. 

• Reply 25 of 154

Yes delaying than buying a mac so not so much hope for other pc makers here. Apple thinks in long term. They make great products. After users know how a quality device feels like they just won't buy a cheap plastic notebook.

• Reply 26 of 154

And What this says to me...Between this and the 'Surface Announcement', Ultrabooks are dead.

And the logic of...

1) I'll buy a iPad now, and decide later to get a 'WinTel basestation' (Desktop/Laptop) is plausible... If all I need is 'consumer mobility' that works as an explanation

2) Laptops being the replacement basestation for home production, replacing desktop... is also plausible.

3) Windows 8 is coming out in 6 months... delaying some buying decisions as well.

4) Unfortunately, if later is 5 quarters from now,  A lot of OEM CEOs will be looking for work.

BUT all  this presupposes

5) If I buy and iPad now...  I'll likely need a Windows device later.

I don't think this logic follows...  You will see a rapid drop in prices over the holidays to boost consumer sales, further crunching margins.  I see the iPad halo leading to a doubling of consumer US PC sales, driving Apple's PC share above 10%.

And we know that Apple's current 10% is the most lucrative (Over $1000) highest margin PC sales.   If Apple gets the next the $800-1000 range (academic sales, and I figure a new 899 iMac is coming out soon),  You'll be seeing what's happening now in the smart phone market.   Apple  and one other vendor (lenovo?) getting 60+ the profits of all  desktop/laptop sales and the rest, breaking even or worse.

So... my guess is we'll see one big player out of the top 10, get out of PC sales all together (my bet it's HP or Toshiba) in the next 18 months, selling out to Lenovo or Acer,  And Dell a fast follower (look at their profits... they are following RIMM's trajectory)

• Reply 27 of 154
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Managers at corporations (like me) tend to be the ones toting iPads to meetings.  They make it easy to check schedules, write notes, refer to documents, and use email or IM.  We still have a laptop at our desks for apps that don't work on the iPad and for serious typing needs.  That list of apps is continuously shrinking though. 

• Reply 28 of 154
    tmallontmallon Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

You are dreaming ..go to any information system department of any company and see if Windows is over..no one in the right mind will use Mac in the corporate world. Moreover, Mac os x is as buggy as Windows and gets viruses too btw. I love Apple but for complex applications you simply cannot use their software.

What are you smoking,   It does not want to give up windows because of job security...    If they install systems that just work, they will be unemployed.  

• Reply 29 of 154
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

You are dreaming ..go to any information system department of any company and see if Windows is over..no one in the right mind will use Mac in the corporate world. Moreover, Mac os x is as buggy as Windows and gets viruses too btw. I love Apple but for complex applications you simply cannot use their software.

I know. Macs suck. That's why my company refuses to use them. I mean we are a serious production company, we are editing major motion picture FX and we need a serious machine.

Oh wait, that's exactly why we are using Macs. And Mac software. There's not a machine in our offices that is running Windows. Not even our server. And it's been that way for the full 8 years the company has existed. Same as many creative houses. Hell you remember those Laptop Hunter Ads for Microsoft. Every one of those was created by a Mac only ad house.  

As for the virus thing, yeah it happens. like once for every 100 million Windows ones. Maybe. I think there's been perhaps 2 actual Mac viruses since Mac OS X came out and both of those were before Tiger (10.4). And perhaps 10 instances of any other kind of malware that was actually Mac based and not something someone got cause they had Windows running in a Virtual machine or boot camp. Or it was a non functioning Windows virus sitting on their computer from some email or such. 

• Reply 30 of 154

Yeah I'm delaying my next purchace,  until the damn things are in stock.... image

• Reply 31 of 154
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    daylove22 wrote: »
    no one in the right mind will use Mac in the corporate world.

I guess have the wrong mind then. I use as/400, RDP into servers, Citrix receiver, indesign when I help the marketing people and some of us even run autoCAD. I'm attached to active directory and access my file shares and print. So yeah, I am in the wrong mind. In fact, most of our IT department uses Macs. We don't seem to have any issues. Go check yourself...
  • Reply 32 of 154
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Of course IT depts use Windows: job security. drivers, viruses, malware, etc.

What complex application can't be done on a Mac? Office, Adobe CS perform well. Of course you can also boot camp into Windows if you need to run a Windows only program.

• Reply 33 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I guess have the wrong mind then. I use as/400, RDP into servers, Citrix receiver, indesign when I help the marketing people and some of us even run autoCAD. I'm attached to active directory and access my file shares and print. So yeah, I am in the wrong mind. In fact, most of our IT department uses Macs. We don't seem to have any issues. Go check yourself...

IT uses them because they don't feel like fixing crap all day long for themselfs they just work.....  

• Reply 34 of 154
    Hope= not knowing where the puck is or where it's going.
  • Reply 35 of 154

Name 2 crappy OS that microsoft wishes they never released. 

Best version of windows ever released

which was the longest used windows OS and still holds almost half of all running installes

What is the install base of OSX

• Reply 36 of 154
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by landilevente View Post

Yes delaying than buying a mac so not so much hope for other pc makers here. Apple thinks in long term. They make great products. After users know how a quality device feels like they just won't buy a cheap plastic notebook...

...or an expensive, metal MacBook Air clone.

• Reply 37 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

What are you smoking,   It does not want to give up windows because of job security...    If they install systems that just work, they will be unemployed.  

thats not true. no one in IT thinks 'gee i will stick with windows and save my job'. properly configured and setup windows machines do 'just work' until you throw malware and users who don't know anything into the mix. macs provide plenty of work for IT too, but you don't have to waste time with machines f'ed up due to viruses/hacks (and that is a LOT of time wasted). the nature of the work changes a little with macs vs windows but there is still problems of some kind or another from time to time.

• Reply 38 of 154

if i didn't have my iPad, i would have bought a MacBook Air months ago. i have been delaying it so long and now i wonder if i need it at all. it seems that the iMac + iPad combination is working quite well.

• Reply 39 of 154
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Poor little troll.  All that time living under your bridge has affected your vision.  Tell your story to the countless of people I've personally worked with that use Macs in the enterprise.  They must not have gotten your memo.

• Reply 40 of 154
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    daylove22 wrote: »

Mac corporate sales are increasing at a much higher clip than are Windows sales. More companies are moving, at least partly, to Macs.

"ITIC's survey found that 79% of IT departments say they'll allow more employees to use Macs in 2011, and 82% will increase iPhone integration for e-mail and applications."

"just 7% of companies have at least 250 Macs, though that's up significantly from only 2% in 2008. By 2013, ITIC forecasts that number will jump to 16%."

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/29/technology/apple_enterprise/index.htm

As far as virus's go. There has been one, though it's not exactly a real virus, and it caused no damage. Compare that to the constant threat to Windows, which number in the hundreds to thousands per year.

Be realistic. There have been predictions of major outbreaks on the Mac for years, but it hasn't come to pass.