PC makers hope Apple's iPad is delaying, not replacing notebook purchases

Comments

• Reply 101 of 154
    neweranewera Posts: 7member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Bill Gates retired from MSFT 6 years ago this week.

Look what Steve Bummer accomplished single-handedly in only a half decade!

Win 8 looks as if Mondiran went blind and crazy. 

Windows will be a memory by 2020. 

LOL MJ Web. That Win interface does no justice to modern art. Mondrian it ain't. And just what it is, I can't tell. Rectangles, squares, boxes, gawd awful. Reminds me of the damn ribbon. Or was that just Salvador Dali on speed?

• Reply 102 of 154
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

While "declining" is ambiguous, you cannot mean that PC unit volume has been declining.  That is not true.  More PCs get sold every year.

I mean Microsoft them self estimate global PC sale fell between 2 to 4% last year. Windows profit as decline year over year since mid 2000's

http://betanews.com/2012/01/19/microsoft-q2-2012-by-the-numbers-windows-revenue-falls-6/

Right now Apple sold more iProducts worldwide then PCs

• Reply 103 of 154
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Apparently we have similar needs.  I do find tho that a USB memory stick works as good or better than an optical disk so I don't need an optical drive.  If the iPad had a USB port it would probably get me to 80%(good enough to live with) of what I need for a portable computer.   

What you need a USB port for on a tablet? If you really miss one on the iPad, here is the solution:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE

For myself, Dropbox is all I need to move data in and out of my iPad and iPhone.

• Reply 104 of 154
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    iPad is one of the greatest learning devices ever invented.. In case u did not know..
    Suggest u revise you post!
  • Reply 105 of 154

I haven`t used a disk or USB drive since I got my Dropbox account years ago.

The PC makers in this article are idiots if they can`t see that tablets are eating the laptop market and by tablets I mean iPads.

I am an Apple fanboy.

2009 MBP

2006 Mac Mini

iPad 1

iPad 2

1Phone

Apple TV

Airport routers all over the place.

I switched to Mac a few years ago due to absolute frustration with the idiocy that was Windows.

BUT...

I just got a new Dell at work with Win 7 on it and I`m impressed, so far I like the OS and have zero problems.

We`ll see how long that lasts

MS's Surface (If it isn`t vaporware) looks impressive as does Win 8 and Metro.

If you think nobody in Cupertino said "hmmmm...??."when that keyboard cover was brought into view on the Surface a few days ago you`re deluding yourself.

They also leap frogged Apple in the use of "Liquid Metal" in that tablet.

To say that MS will be "done" in just a few years is crazy as it seems they`ve finally made a fairly cohesive move to actually compete in the mobile market.

I`d like to see them thrive if for no other reason than to keep Apple on it`s toes.

They`re late to the party but they seem to made a memorable entrance.

• Reply 106 of 154

The key to whether the iPad or PC laptops will win out for most is convenience and functionality. Chipsets and all are critical -- for the hardware and software designers. For user it is functionality and convenience. My bets are on the iPad (and other tablets like perhaps the MS Surface). They will become more capable and more functional. More apps and more functional apps will be written and purchased. Laptops will be squeezed; they will need to do things that the iPad cannot do that people want to do -- what would that be? 

• Reply 108 of 154
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

To say that MS will be "done" in just a few years is crazy as it seems they`ve finally made a fairly cohesive move to actually compete in the mobile market.

I`d like to see them thrive if for no other reason than to keep Apple on it`s toes.

they haven't entered yet... they've just flashed a sexy leg, that in fact stumbled as it walked past the door.

They will thrive, but this thread really identifies 'how' they will thrive.

they've made a cohesive plan, to move into an area they have no market success (consumer electronics)

Planning a move is different than 'executing' a move.  Especially when their 'first' mobile tablet isn't mobile (no 3G/4G)

I think Horace D from Asymco.com says it best... 'just who is Microsoft's Tim Cook?'  Apple has perfected the HW supply chain, on top of marrying SW to HW to Cloud Services to retail.  Steve and Jonny may have thought it up, but Tim executed.   I don't see a single person in Microsoft's Executive row that can make that happen.  Execution.

For Microsoft to succeed they need to make $100 per every 'endpoint' they sell. Or increase the number of endpoints.  Since they are not competing with the iPad (price wise and touting a keyboard).   It's pretty clear that microsoft isn't after Apple's lunch... it's after the HW makers that make ultrabooks and eventually phones.   It wants their $50/device profit, and it can survive at least a little longer, to figure out a way to compete with a 'free'  OS platform for phones and mobile (Google).

Don't get me wrong... I like Apple as much as you do, and competition as much as you desire... but I _really_really_ don't comprehend Microsoft's strategy for the last 6 years.   Personally, I  agree with others... Microsoft and HP will likely go the route of IBM and just start to sell professional services to corporations, and get out of the desktop market completely.

• Reply 109 of 154
    gridgrid Posts: 21member
    daylove22 wrote: »
    ..no one in the right mind will use Mac in the corporate world. Moreover, Mac os x is as buggy as Windows and gets viruses too btw. I love Apple but for complex applications you simply cannot use their software.

This dude needs a glass stomach. With his head shoved that far up his a$$, he can't see where he's going! :)
  • Reply 110 of 154
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    kingsmuse wrote: »
    I haven`t used a disk or USB drive since I got my Dropbox account years ago.

The PC makers in this article are idiots if they can`t see that tablets are eating the laptop market and by tablets I mean iPads.

I am an Apple fanboy.
    2009 MBP
    2006 Mac Mini
    iPad 1
    iPad 2
    1Phone
    Apple TV
    Airport routers all over the place.

I switched to Mac a few years ago due to absolute frustration with the idiocy that was Windows.

BUT...

I just got a new Dell at work with Win 7 on it and I`m impressed, so far I like the OS and have zero problems.
    We`ll see how long that lasts

MS's Surface (If it isn`t vaporware) looks impressive as does Win 8 and Metro.

If you think nobody in Cupertino said "hmmmm...??."when that keyboard cover was brought into view on the Surface a few days ago you`re deluding yourself.
    They also leap frogged Apple in the use of "Liquid Metal" in that tablet.

To say that MS will be "done" in just a few years is crazy as it seems they`ve finally made a fairly cohesive move to actually compete in the mobile market. Some people use a word that rhyme with "toll" which describes a creature that often lives in a hole.

When you state Apple gadgets that you own you are only announcing that you are an operative of the competition.

Microsoft Surface is garbage. A poor hybrid that is the result of the worst of a tablet combined with the worst of an ultraportable. Ultraportables have better construction that doesn't require a kickstand or a keyboard with minimal vertical travel (1.5 mm). A keyboard is unnecessary for a tablet with an excellent multi-touch user interface.

Microsoft Metro UI and Microsoft Windows 8 as a result are hideously repulsive with large typography and monochromatic elements comprised mostly of primary colors in basic squares and rectangles. With such a small selection of colors and other design elements, developers may have difficulty creating a design that is intuitive and readily-identifiable.

Vapor deposited magnesium has almost nothing in common with LiquidMetal (a process for creating amorphous metal alloys).

What cohesive move has Microsoft made in the mobile market? While Microsoft has some strengths they have previously failed to leverage properly, there is no evidence as yet that they "will get it right this time."

Apps - Nothing announced
    Books - Nothing announced
    Calendars, Contacts and Email - Microsoft Hotmail
    Games - Nothing announced but Xbox Live is a well recognized brand
    Maps - Bing Maps
    Music - Nothing announced
    Search - Bing Search
    Social - Nothing announced
    Video Conferencing - Skype
  • Reply 111 of 154
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

You are dreaming ..go to any information system department of any company and see if Windows is over..no one in the right mind will use Mac in the corporate world. Moreover, Mac os x is as buggy as Windows and gets viruses too btw. I love Apple but for complex applications you simply cannot use their software.

The ONLY reason that many corps haven't switched is 'perceived' cost of learning and adapting to a new OS. If they factored in Windows OS costs in terms of field down time, costs associated with support lines, sending computers in for repair or reformat, lost productivity, etc., I think that they find out that switching to Mac OS would be cheaper in the long run, but most companies are short run minded these days. My company still uses Blackberrys due to the same perceived issues. If you think that OSX is as buggy as Windows, then you've never used OSX. 

• Reply 112 of 154
    mieswallmieswall Posts: 84member

mmm....

after having been out of macs for almost a decade (I even have the 5 old Inside Macintosh volumes in my library), I bought an iPhone some 3 years ago. Now the apple count at my home is: 2 iPhone 3GS of my kids, an iphone4 for myself, an ipad2, a new iPad for my wife (envying the iPhones of us, having an android from her job); an iMac, a macbook, a macbook pro, a Time Capsule, an AppleTV (just recently, and we completely stopped using regular TV after it). Seriously considering a Mini server now.

All of previous windows pc's are abandoned, completely useless. A couple of windows' softwares (trading, database) are used with parallels without any problem. All my thousands of CD of music are now digitalized and on iCloud, and now streamed to a good high end stereo, by means of a clumsy logitech device, soon to be replaced by another appleTV.

talk about hallo effect, mac ecosystem, etc... People that don't use mac's, iPad or iPhones just don't get it. ...otherwise, they would rush to buy AAPL shares.

• Reply 113 of 154
    You could just use your old iMac as a display and get a Mac mini for the machine upgrade.
    $599 upgrade the ram yourself.
  • Reply 114 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

While "declining" is ambiguous, you cannot mean that PC unit volume has been declining.  That is not true.  More PCs get sold every year.

Actually - for 2011 it was pretty flat.  IDC says up 1.6%, http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3329609/idc-and-gartner-say-pc-shipments-down-in-q4-2011/, without Apple, the market was up maybe 0.5%.  This is definitely within the margin of error for IDC so I think we can all say 2011 was flat.

Statista seems to show a pretty flat market for 2 plus years.  http://www.statista.com/statistics/12734/sales-of-pc-manufacturers-by-quarter/

• Reply 115 of 154

I'm waiting for a 12-15 inch MacBook with touch screen. One day, maybe... No trackpad is as fast as directly pointed fingers anyway.

Got an iPad but went back to my MacBooks and bigger Macs rather fast, as:

1) A laptop sits better in my lap. A Mac, that is (with no vents underneath).

2) Had to hold the iPad all the time - doesn't work well on a table, either.

3) Apple (Simon) says what you may do with an iPad. With Macs (so far) that's not the case. There's always Linux for the really geeky stuff.

My goddaughter now has the iPad and loves it. Not sure what she does with it all the time, but main thing is she's happy. A typical user, for sure - not someone like me who takes everything apart to see how it works. I'm part of a small - "iFixit" - minority only.

• Reply 116 of 154
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Apparently we have similar needs.  I do find tho that a USB memory stick works as good or better than an optical disk so I don't need an optical drive.  If the iPad had a USB port it would probably get me to 80%(good enough to live with) of what I need for a portable computer.   

yeah, you're right. but the USB sticks are easy to misplace ... and you can't write/label on them. they all look the same!

gotta remember the basic rule: anything someone can mess up, it'll get messed up. at least in my reality.

• Reply 117 of 154
    relefuntrelefunt Posts: 18member

APPLE IS DOOM!

All you fanbois are deluding yourselves.

Just as an example -- the new Microsoft Surface is COMPLETELY sold out! There is not a single retailer in the US that has one for sale! CHECK and MATE, fools!  

• Reply 118 of 154
    relefuntrelefunt Posts: 18member

APPLE IS DOOM!

Just went to Best Buy and not a single Zune in sight! They are flying off the shelves!

• Reply 119 of 154
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're missing the point here. Most computing is trivial. Like what we're doing now. Not trivial in the sense of being unimportant, because when people communicate, it's always important. But trivial in the sense that it could be don't with far less processing power than we now have.

Most consumer computing is, as we all know, browsing the Internet. Doing e-mails. Messaging, twitter, Facebook, letters, playing general games, some light printing, etc.

All of that can easily be handled with the iPad.

I use my Mac Pro for Photoshop, publishing, video editing, mastering of music recordings, CAD, etc.

For anything heavy in that vein, the iPad isn't, yet, up to it. But for light video editing,

Publishing, Photography, and even CAD, it does just fine.

The only people who don't think so are those who haven't done it. And I've met a few who insisted they have, but under more intense questioning, I can tell that they're just BSing.

I'm not missing the point - that was exactly the point I was making. For most people it's not a PC/Mac or iPad - it's both. You simply use them for different tasks, which is exactly what Tim Cook said at AllThingsD. He specifically said that the iPad would NOT replace the Mac. Ok if all you need is something to check your emails on then the iPad is ok but most of us use our computers for a lot more. You couldn't do all that work stuff on your iPad. I could not run my business using iPad - in fact even if I could I wouldn't want to because looking at a tiny 10" screen all day would drive me mad. I don't know why so many people find this so hard to grasp - there is no convergence between the Mac and the iPad. They are different devices intended for different purposes. I think Tim said it would be like combining a fridge and toaster together.

• Reply 120 of 154
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

Within 3 months of getting an iPad, I sold my almost-new MBP. I will probably always have an iMac, but just have less and less need for it. Of course, my opinion is worthless, but I do see iPads (and maybe other tablets) replacing home PCs in the coming years.

I've been riding the Mac OSX highway since 1984 and iOS for a few years now, so I won't be buying a Windows machine. That said, I believe an alternate PC operating system like Windows will still exist purely because it's something not out #1 Infinite Loop. Microsoft IMO could care less what form factor is predominate as long as it's using Windows whatever.

The laptop market is evolving into a more mobile form. It's not decreasing at all just changing. People who see the laptop, or for that matter any computer, as a tool to get some task done, are not people who know or bother to know or care what or how the computer works internally. These people will be brand loyal, price aware, and looking for the prettiest lightest computer for the price that does the task it was intended for. Some will switch to iOS exclusively, most laptop owners will stick to that form factor.

Personal computing and social networking will dominate the usage of any laptop bought today (even if it was for business). Mobility in this (device ?) market is key but won't replace the desktop machine. Maybe the desktop form factor will change somewhat but the task it is designed for will allow it to survive and flourish in its market.