PC makers hope Apple's iPad is delaying, not replacing notebook purchases

Comments

• Reply 41 of 154
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I dont know about others but in my case I am moving away from desktop computers to mobile devices, consisting of an ipad, an iphone and a laptop.  For the laptop, when at home I used it with an external 24" monitor, external USB blue ray drive and external keyboard and mouse. 

When we go somewhere or on vacation, we just grap the macbook air and the ipad.  I still have a 27" imac that I intend to keep for a while and replace with a laptop/monitor setup in 1 or 2 years. I think an ipad, a Macbook Air and an Apple TV is a great combo to have in the house.

• Reply 42 of 154
    tmallontmallon Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

Name 2 crappy OS that microsoft wishes they never released. 

Best version of windows ever released

which was the longest used windows OS and still holds almost half of all running installes

What is the install base of OSX

ME, Vista

XP

XP   August 24, 2001  more the 10 years old

Snow Leopard 43 percent, Lion 40 percent,

• Reply 43 of 154
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member

When did 'hope' become a business strategy? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

PC Makers Grasping At Straws, live in fantasy world.

• Reply 44 of 154
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

If we're only talking about consumers and not office workers, I agree. Most consumers only want to check their email, surf the web and update their facebook and twitter. If an iPad is doing all this with great portability, the PC makers may have to get down on their knees and pray.

People talk about consumers and office workers as if they are two different types of people. Most consumers are office workers or college students who use computers. At home they may only buy a new computer every 10 years, but at work they still need a computer every couple years. Even though they may have an iPad they probably need a computer at home too for the kids to do their homework. Although you can use an iPad without a computer it works better if you sync it up. Depends on how much media content you have, but the point is, I see most iPad owners as still needing a computer. Many are choosing Mac at home even if they use Windows at work.

• Reply 45 of 154
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

double post
  • Reply 46 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmallon View Post

Name 2 crappy OS that microsoft wishes they never released. 

any first release of Windows (3, 95, 98, Millenium, NT.

anything after NT is just NT plus fixes.

Best version of windows ever released

Windows 7

which was the longest used windows OS and still holds almost half of all running installes

XP

What is the install base of OSX

its not the quantity, its the quality. but, the install base is growing....

• Reply 47 of 154
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

Within 3 months of getting an iPad, I sold my almost-new MBP. I will probably always have an iMac, but just have less and less need for it. Of course, my opinion is worthless, but I do see iPads (and maybe other tablets) replacing home PCs in the coming years.

I will always have a desktop because I don't see them making a 30 inch iPad or laptop and I'm a video editor. Half my business is done at home. 

But that and acting as a media server is all that desktop is used for now. After sitting at the computer for as much as 6 hours at a time I'm more likely to grab my iPad and go kick back on the couch to surf the web and read my email while watching a little tv or perhaps a movie off Netflix (via my Apple TV). 

My family is even more without need for a computer, especially my parents/step-parents and aunts/uncles. But they all have iPhones or iPads. My 93 year old grandfather even has an iPad. 

• Reply 48 of 154
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Man oh Man...is that ever a case of wishful thinking. Reminds me of the RIM engineers at the intro of the first iPhone! :(

To your point, the title of the article is "PC makers hope Apple's iPad is delaying, not replacing notebook purchases"

Quite right.

As the saying goes, "Hope springs eternal." But notebooks are destined to play a much less significant role in computing over the coming years.

Reality bites.

• Reply 49 of 154
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

People talk about consumers and office workers as if they are two different types of people. Most consumers are office workers or college students who use computers. At home they may only buy a new computer every 10 years, but at work they still need a computer every couple years. Even though they may have an iPad they probably need a computer at home too for the kids to do their homework. Although you can use an iPad without a computer it works better if you sync it up. Depends on how much media content you have, but the point is, I see most iPad owners as still needing a computer. Many are choosing Mac at home even if they use Windows at work.

lol, not where I work. I work for a canadian bank and I have been using the same Dell pentium D for 8 years now. I have changed my home computers 3 times since I got that machine at work. the OS at work is still windows XP and office 2003. From my experience in IT, big companies are very very slow to update there Pc's and OS considering the huge cost each time they do it.

• Reply 50 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Curiously, Apple's notebook sales have continued increasing while Windows-based notebook sales have declined. 

This is not correct.  Therefore, any conclusions drawn are unreliable.

• Reply 51 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I got a new work PC last week with Windows 7. It seems to actually have less functionality than XP.

Can you give a few examples of the lost functionality?  

• Reply 52 of 154
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

amazing how few tech blabbers can grasp it is all about using the right tool for the job/situation.

unlike the tech blabbers who mainly hang out, do "social" on the web, and then BS on their websites, i do "real work" - spreadsheets, contracts, detailed memos, review designs, etc. so my work setup now is very simple: on the desk are wireless mouse/keyboard and a thunderbolt display to go with my basic Macbook (just two wires to plug in, total). on the road, i just take the same Macbook of course, which is brain dead simple to do. not a Macbook Air because the optical drive is still important because, despite all the hype about the cloud and such, the easiest and most dependable way to swap/leave behind lots of files with people from other companies, attorneys, designers, etc. on the spot is still to burn CD's and receive/give it to them (no fiddling needed with their IT or ID's or anything, can do it anywhere, and they can then be shared with others in those offices very easily too).

no tablet can ever be adequate for that, period. the screens are just too small (try looking at a complicated multilayer spreadsheet on one). and being a clumsy typer anyway, the bigger keyboard is better for me. this is why the Surface Pro is DOA. despite all the kitchen sink hardware, it's still the wrong tool for "real work." almost every business person is going to reach the same conclusion.

but when i am on my own time/vacation yet need to be able to do "light work" - mainly stay in touch and maybe review/sign off some pdf's - i don't take the Macbook any more. my iPad 2 is very adequate for this. and of course i can use it for all the "consumer" purposes too. the Surface Pro would be total overkill for this situation.

the iPad is also very adequate for quick work trips - around town or day trips out of town - when i'm not going to be working on "content," but just need to stay in touch and look at whatever. same is true for doing limited business "homework" at home after hours.

about 1/3 of our staff need a portable computer sometimes like this. the rest are desk-bound and so will always have a standard PC of some kind.

my company is small, so we don't have custom software or a massive D-base. if we ever needed to, we'd look at contracting for a custom iPad program if being portable and D-base interface was necessary. the proprietary professional software we do use is Windows-based - and it is very complex. there is no way on earth that program (which has a few dozen "modules") is ever going to be ported to a tablet/touch UI. ditto the accounting software.

so bottom line: for businesses, consumer tablets will augment but not replace computers - but laptops/notebooks ARE replacing desktop PC's for the part of the workforce that travels. not the cheap ones (i'd bet most of those are bought for students), but the better quality models, which is why Apple's sales keep growing.

for consumers tho, tablets definitely can and will replace laptops/notebooks. i won't ever buy another laptop just for personal use - that's overkill now for a portable device. (but i'll always have one big iMac at home as the base unit for everything - i got a lot of media.)

• Reply 53 of 154

Ok Trolly Polly, not sure if you are serious or SIRIus or just iLLinformed...

First off- the couple of issues that were related to the MAC OSX were NOT VIRUSES but MALWARE (there is a difference and I'm sure your very well aware of that since you are posting here on a tech site, or maybe not) so get your facts straight dude. and second check the statistics out there online, in trade mags and anywhere you can dig up some info your a PC troll so since your are already in the trenches you should be able to "DIGG" and get up on it... WINDoze is slowing dying a slow death as it should be for trying to STEAL from APPLE from way back when and copying them for EVER and failing at it miserably- and now MICRO$LOTH is coming out with a WINDOZE 8 TABLOTH and will fail at that too-but if you can hold your breath just a little bit longer before the end of the this year 2012 Micro$hit will released the much anticipated MS OFFICE for iPad suite and when this does happen it will be the DEATH of WINDoze PC and their iPad Killers as well.. because EVERYONE who thought the needed a WINDoze PC to do what they needed to do at work will be HISTORY!!! and aren't you aware of the PC emulators out there VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop now run well in OS X Lion, and work even faster than a regular PC???

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20106060-263/vmware-and-parallels-now-updated-for-os-x-lion/

H8 to say it but CYA LATER ALLIGATOR!!!

• Reply 54 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

You are dreaming ..go to any information system department of any company and see if Windows is over..no one in the right mind will use Mac in the corporate world. Moreover, Mac os x is as buggy as Windows and gets viruses too btw. I love Apple but for complex applications you simply cannot use their software.

@ DAYLOVE 22

First off- the couple of issues that were related to the MAC OSX were NOT VIRUSES but MALWARE (there is a difference and I'm sure your very well aware of that since you are posting here on a tech site, or maybe not) so get your facts straight dude. and second check the statistics out there online, in trade mags and anywhere you can dig up some info your a PC troll so since your are already in the trenches you should be able to "DIGG" and get up on it... WINDoze is slowing dying a slow death as it should be for trying to STEAL from APPLE from way back when and copying them for EVER and failing at it miserably- and now MICRO$LOTH is coming out with a WINDOZE 8 TABLOTH and will fail at that too-but if you can hold your breath just a little bit longer before the end of the this year 2012 Micro$hit will released the much anticipated MS OFFICE for iPad suite and when this does happen it will be the DEATH of WINDoze PC and their iPad Killers as well.. because EVERYONE who thought the needed a WINDoze PC to do what they needed to do at work will be HISTORY!!! and aren't you aware of the PC emulators out there VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop now run well in OS X Lion, and work even faster than a regular PC???

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20106060-263/vmware-and-parallels-now-updated-for-os-x-lion/

• Reply 55 of 154
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

It's pretty close actually. This year is the first time in which Microsoft's revenues for Windows has declined.
  • Reply 56 of 154

Quote:

You are dreaming ..go to any information system department of any company and see if Windows is over..no one in the right mind will use Mac in the corporate world. Moreover, Mac os x is as buggy as Windows and gets viruses too btw. I love Apple but for complex applications you simply cannot use their software.

@ DAYLOVE 22

• Reply 57 of 154

Quote:

What has been happening in all kinds of companies is that the executives and upper management bought iPads and brought them to work. They then told IT "make it so I can use this here." IT didn't want them, but the execs did. And once IT is supporting Apple, the flood gates opened. People who have clout started demanding that the company buy them Macs, and even people without clout asked it they could bring their own machines to work. There is a huge trend in BYOC (bring your own computer to work) that is pushing macs on reluctant IT departments. It has always been the IT departments that kept macs out of the enterprise and now they can't resist the pressure. Believe me, it's only going to get worse (if your an IT guy) or better (if your a computer user) as time goes on.

• Reply 58 of 154
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Absolutely true -- sort of.  I've found the iPad to have limitations butI don't want to pack around a full size laptop.  BuAfter using the iPad though  I'm more likely to buy a Macbook Air than a windows netbook.  I imagine a lot of other people will make a similar choice.

• Reply 59 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Jerry, I don't think it is sufficient to refute an argument (that MacBooks have increased in sales while netbooks have decreased in sales) but just saying "you're wrong" You can either ask for proof, or provide counter proof, but your response is insufficient. So, if you want to be proactive, refute this if not ask the OP to support.

• Reply 60 of 154
    dbeatsdbeats Posts: 26member

Quote:

I guess I should tell my colleagues that all of us on Macs don't exist. We'll have to uninstall MS Office, Neatbeans, our personal build scripts and shell scripts that automate our code testing and smash our wonderful Mac Book Airs into pieces. God what were we thinking?!?  This software is too complex for OS X!! I mean how can a 20+ year old BSD-based kernel possibly figure out how to manage "complex" programs. Let me just open a terminal on OS X right now 

rm -rf /*

Whew! Now I'm safe. Thank you for showing your unbelievable ignorance about what OS X is and how it works. Oh wait, those linux scripts we used to use on that crapmaster 5000 platform known at Redhat "Do it yourself and make all your own drivers because that's what's cool about linux" Edition. Well surprisingly they WORK on OS X. If you cannot realize that OS X is unix-based stable platform for which software rests in a standardized and reasonable implementation, well you are simply another McMicrosoft Certified....oh it pains me to say it.....Engineer.  Go learn something new today, start with a wikipedia search for FreeBSD.