Microsoft faces 'major dilemma' pricing Surface tablets against iPad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 209
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post

it is amusing to see, nowadays, a large company like Microsoft run by amateurs.

Every professional in the planet would see, without beginning a whole tablet division, that the low price versus high quality is one of the key points nobody can displace Apple from their current #1 position. 

Apple invests in manufacture methods and technology to reduce production cost. Apple buys components by the trucks and have large discounts- they buy so many components that they can almost say how much they want to pay for a given component and the vendor will accept, because the profit is on the monumental volume.

Just an amateur would prepare a product for the market without having a strategy. They are so amateur their tablet crash on the presentation to the press... hahaha

Conclusion: the tablet is already a flop and will go nowhere and Steve is laughing beyond the grave.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

It's all a techwriter/Windows fanboy wet-dream, and nothing more.

• Reply 102 of 209
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You've gotta be kidding.

1) Very little freeware, if any, measures up to the standards of paid software. A lot of the free junk floating around the "Microsoft ecosystem called The Internet" (LMAO) is barely usable, or has a lousy UI, or is poorly-supported. But YMMV. You *might* just be able to find everything free that happens to meet your needs. But form an objective standpoint, you get what you pay for. Just look at the state of Linux today.  Yikes!   All the best software will cost you money.

2) The Mac App Store has a Free section. Lots of goodies there, for each category. That's not "pretty much non-existent." Though I wouldn't mind hearing what "pretty much" means. I'm guessing in this case it's just a synonym for "nebulous."

3) You or your wife bought an iMac. Apple hardware. You're telling me you can't afford software?? You spent over $1000 on an Apple computer so you can go on the cheap on the software side?

Even a nice suite of productivity software doesn't need to cost hundreds of dollars. 

1 - Typical MAC answer, nothing to back it but an opinion.

2 - In the PC world, the MAC app store is pretty much non-existent.

3 - To spend money to just spend money seems to be the Apple way.  What I can afford and what I chose to pay for are two different things.

• Reply 103 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

Hello, Mr. Ballmer!

Hello Mr. Jobs, oh wait.

• Reply 104 of 209
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

If Apple replaces the 30 pin connector, as they are rumored to be planning, this factor will be moot.

Apple could easy offer a 30-19 pin adapter for those who need it!

Apple introduced the 30-pin connector as kind of a thin (height) universal connector for a class of (then) thin devices.  It has the ability to support USB 2 and FireWire plus some other capabilities:

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Since its introduction, devices have gotten a lot thinner and they no longer support/require some of the pinouts.

So, I suspect that Apple is looking for a thinner, more tailored, less expensive connector.  I suspect it will drop FireWire and support USB 2 and 3.

Apple has always been willing to refine their devices and abandon legacy hardware that is no longer needed -- If they didn't we'd still be using, SCSI, AppleTalk, Centronics, RS-232, and DeskTop bus cables and connectors.

• Reply 105 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by studentx View Post

It's common knowledge that Apple sells 90% of all PCs that are priced over $1000 - where the margins are.

PC users cheap out at every turn.

Like 95% of PC users.  Inexpensive and cheap are two different things, something some just do not seem to understand.

• Reply 106 of 209
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I have to agree, if I can play Diablo 3 on this new tablet count me sold.  Something iPad will never accomplish.

So you are comparing the iPad with ARM processor against the Surface Pro with i5 processor?! You do know that you cannot run windows software on the ARM Surface, don't you?! Meaning your Diablo 3 will only run on Surface Pro, which will most likely cost twice as much as the iPad.

• Reply 107 of 209
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

3 - To spend money to just spend money seems to be the Apple way.  What I can afford and what I chose to pay for are two different things.

Typical PC user points. What software are you trying to find for you iMac that are not available?

• Reply 108 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

So you are comparing the iPad with ARM processor against the Surface Pro with i5 processor?! You do know that you cannot run windows software on the ARM Surface, don't you?! Meaning your Diablo 3 will only run on Surface Pro, which will most likely cost twice as much as the iPad.

Yeah, as sarcastically as I could possibly say yeah.  Thats the whole point????  Are you even following this thread?

• Reply 109 of 209
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    hellacool wrote: »
    What I can afford and what I chose to pay for are two different things.

What you can afford and what you legally get to have, however, is one singular thing.

Also, and I'm certain you know this so bringing it to your attention is serving a different purpose entirely, it's "Mac".
  • Reply 110 of 209
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

1. Which is more than MS had to show when it comes to the Surface Pro.

2. The Surface Pro is pretty much non-existent

3. Why anyone would choose to spend money on vaporware is pretty much beyond me... that seems like spending money to just spend money.

• Reply 111 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What you can afford and what you legally get to have, however, is one singular thing.

Also, and I'm certain you know this so bringing it to your attention is serving a different purpose entirely, it's "Mac".

I like MAC because it brings out the Apple police.  I also like iTouch as well, gets them spun up.

• Reply 112 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

3. Why anyone would choose to spend money on vaporware is pretty much beyond me... that seems like spending money to just spend money.

I think you have been on your island too long, not one thing you said here makes any sense.

• Reply 113 of 209
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    hellacool wrote: »
    I like MAC because it brings out the Apple police.  I also like iTouch as well, gets them spun up.

It also invalidates all of your arguments. Think about it: if the person is too lazy to spell something correctly, why should I care about what he's saying? He obviously has put no thought nor time into his argument, therefore it becomes… you.

Take a leaf out of the books of better trolls than you if you want what you're saying to be anything but mocked and derided.
  • Reply 114 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Windows partners?  For Surface?  Kiss them all goodbye.  Few if any will pay the $85 sucker price for each Windows RT license.

And those few OEMs that do pay the sucker price for Windows RT licenses will be killed off anyway.  Probably very soon.

Because it's looking more and more likely that Microsoft will need to buy Nokia, or at least enough of Nokia to build Surfaces.

Simply for the cost savings.  No mark-up on the hardware because they'd own the manufacturer.

It really looks like Microsoft is putting the smack down on Nokia right now, just to drop their market cap as much as possible.

Hence the scary announcement that Windows Phone 8 won't run on any existing Lumia, which did in fact drop NOK significantly.

NOK was trading at $2.50 on Wednesday the 20th.  Microsoft made the announcement on the 21st, NOK immediately slid.

It's now trading at $2.20.  Down 12%.  

NOK Market cap is barely $8 billion now.  How much lower does it need to go before you snap it up and turn it into the

next Danger, Ballmer?

I read NOK market cap at $1.3 Billion.  RIMM is also at a 52 week low with a market cap of $4.6 Billion...

Not much of a choice, really...

• Reply 115 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It also invalidates all of your arguments. Think about it: if the person is too lazy to spell something correctly, why should I care about what he's saying? He obviously has put no thought nor time into his argument, therefore it becomes… you.

Take a leaf out of the books of better trolls than you if you want what you're saying to be anything but mocked and derided.

But you do care, you have commented several times.

• Reply 116 of 209
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

So you are admitting outright that you are a troll.  

I mean you are saying here that you use incorrect terms on purpose just to inconvenience and rile people up.  It seems to me that a ban would be completely justifiable if you are going to be so foolish as to admit what you're doing.  

• Reply 117 of 209
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

The M$ announcement has 2 major problems:

• no hint of how they can match the Android and Apple app ecosystems without nuking their existing app pricing model

• it could scare off OEMs who have the option to develop for Android instead

More here.

I've just finished reading Walter Isaacson's biography of Jobs and one of the fascinating details is the provenance of the iPad. A Microsoft employee at a party kept on pushing his "vision" of a table that would rule the market to Jobs, some time before the advent of the iPhone. Jobs was convinced he had it all wrong (keyboard and stylus featured) and set his people on designing something better. Then they started to worry that someone doing music right on a cell phone would take the iPod market away, so they switched to doing a phone that also worked as an iPod. That explains why there was so much in place already for the iPod, not just a lucky coincidence that the iPhone could adapt to a tablet.

Fast forward to 2012, and Microsoft still thinks whats wrong with the iPad is no keyboard and no stylus. When will they get it?

• Reply 118 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

So you are admitting outright that you are a troll.  

I mean you are saying here that you use incorrect terms on purpose just to inconvenience and rile people up.  It seems to me that a ban would be completely justifiable if you are going to be so foolish as to admit what you're doing.  

If an incorrect term riles someone up, troll is the least of their worries.  If someone feels the need to comment about incorrect terms and their ability to rile someone up, troll is the least of their worries, it goes on.

Oh and "inconvenience" really?  A forum post can inconvenience someone?  Thanks for the laugh. 

• Reply 119 of 209
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

I think you have been on your island too long, not one thing you said here makes any sense.

Oh, I was just following your lead...

• Reply 120 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Ohhh, ohhh... When can I pre-order... call on me, call on me first!