Rumor: 7-inch iPad to be produced in Brazil for fall launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 167
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stagrepa View Post

The point of my post is to show people that if you are not specific that the government will not be. In the end their ass is covered because per definition they did bring jobs back to "America"

Okay, that's not at all the case, and you should probably stop this.

The demonym for citizens of the United States of America is "American". Not "Stater", not anything else, "American". That was the intended use of the word.

Please don't try to throw the "The US isn't the only country in the Americas!" crap in a thread unless someone is claiming that.

It seems like a bunch of guys drank too much last night and are irritable this morning, so they're going to have a petty argument.  I almost did it myself when I saw the use of the word "comprises", but I managed to resist.  Let's get back to talking about iPads...

• Reply 42 of 167
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    [quote]I'm curious - isn't that razor wire fence topping installed in the direction so as to keep people IN, rather than out?   What's up with that?
    [/quote]

It's to keep the new iPads from going out the wrong way :)
  • Reply 43 of 167
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

The only country commonly referred to generically in the singular as "America" is the United States of America. 

Only navel gazing "Americans" think that way. Outside of the USA, "America" absolutely is synonymous with the entirety of the Americas. Other countries are far more likely to refer to the USA as "The States" than as "America".

• Reply 44 of 167
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

While this probably doesn't count toward "bringing manufacturing back to America," at least Apple's getting closer. image

If the price of the Nexus Q is any indication, it doesn't look like American manufacturing is worth the cost. It's all good and noble to have Americans building these things, but if it increases cost by 3x or more, people aren't going to buy your products.

• Reply 45 of 167
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Actually… the combined Northern, Central and Southern Americas are referred to collectively as "The Americas"… separately they are known as "North America" (comprising the U.S. and Canada), "Central America" (comprising Mexico and numerous countries south to Panama), and "South America" (comprising numerous countries, including Brazil).

No textbooks that I'm aware of refer to the three areas of the Americas collectively in the singular, "America".

The only country commonly referred to generically in the singular as "America" is the United States of America. 

Brazil is part of South America, or The Americas… 

Are we done splitting hairs now? ;)

So, when Christopher Columbus (re)discovered America... he discovered the USA? Now that's strange!

America is the continent. We took the name of a continent for ourselves and then invented the "Americas" term for some reason. America is the name of the continent on basically every language out there. That's not very nice or respectful to the rest of the countries in America.

• Reply 46 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I am always dumbfounded whenever this becomes a thread topic. There is only one country in the world that contains the name America so unless the context refers to a gathering of continents or specifically states the full name of the continents or subcontinent then one should assume te reference is to the United States of America.

PS: There is more than one country with states that are united an yet people don't suggest it's ambiguous when you refer to the US.
  • Reply 47 of 167
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I am always dumbfounded whenever this becomes a thread topic. There is only one country in the world that contains the name America so unless the context refers to a gathering of continents or specifically states the full name of the continents or subcontinent then one should assume te reference is to the United States of America.

PS: There is more than one country with states that are united an yet people don't suggest it's ambiguous when you refer to the US.

So people from South Africa have the right to call themselves "the Africans" sense their country is the only one with the word "Africa" in it?

If I say "I'm going to Africa" it means that I'm going to "South Africa" an not any other country in the continent?

Your argument is flawed.

• Reply 48 of 167
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    [B]BACK ON TOPIC

If the new iPhone really is going to have a 16:9 display, then the rumored 7" iPad would most likely have a similar configuration. [/B] Apple already told us they thought anything smaller than 10" would be impractical, despite the fact that an iPhone and iTouch are considerably smaller. So to be consistent, wouldn't it make sense to make the 7" iPad a larger version of those devices, using the more limited software for them, rather than the iPad? Or at least some hybrid of the two? Giving it a 16:9 orientation makes it a much more practical gaming device, and for movies and other non-detailed apps, thus avoiding the sandpaper needed to file down ones fingers to use it. The resulting device would be slimmer as well and much more "pocketable". And it would give developers much more incentive to quickly update their apps to take advantage of the wider screen real estate of the iPhone since it would also benefit the smaller iPad. It also puts it in a market space that is unique to the device not cannibalizing the iPhone, or most likely the iPad (meaning people who were not going to buy an iPad anyway because of the cost). Such a device does not interest me, between my iPhone and iPad. Now it would likely cannibalize iTouch, but if those sales are waning anyway, then introducing a more preferable form factor to that community and eventually phasing out the smaller device once they see how the market accepts it, seems like a typical Apple maneuver. The traditional iPod then likely being relegated to the much smaller form factors for people who just want some extra music portability without the other bells and whistles. Besides, iTunes Match has all but made carrying around your entire music library in one device obsolete anyway.
  • Reply 49 of 167
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stagrepa View Post

@waybacmac.

Do you not realize that Brazil is part of America?

Most people confuse America with the United States, when in reality there is something like 32 countries in America.

I mean no disrespect, I just think that most People get there hopes up when we are promised "bringing jobs back to America" turns out not to be more jobs created in the USA.

No Brazil is part of South America. North and South America together, are the Americas. The USA is the United States of America and is located in North America. When people refer to bringing jobs back to america, they are referring to the US. That is obvious by the term back. The jobs used to be in the US, and people want them back in the US. 

• Reply 50 of 167
    heffeque wrote: »
    So, when Christopher Columbus (re)discovered America... he discovered the USA? Now that's strange!

This is even more absurd! Have you ever played quest-style video game? Did you rediscover solutions to puzzles or did you simply discover them? You certainly weren't the first to find them. Even if you were first among your friends you still weren't the first. Same goes for Columbus finding the land masses known as North and South America. They were unknown to that part of Europe at the time so it's a discovery. Plain and simple.
    America is the continent. We took the name of a continent for ourselves and then invented the "Americas" term for some reason. America is the name of the continent on basically every language out there. That's not very nice or respectful to the rest of the countries in America.
    America is not a continent! North America is a continent, South America is a continent, and Central America is a subcontinental region of North America. For your comment to make sense it has to be plural to refer to the American continents. This stuff is not up for debate!

PS: No man is an island, except maybe Australians.
  • Reply 51 of 167
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    So, when Christopher Columbus (re)discovered America... he discovered the USA?

Lief Ericson. But that was Newfoundland and your point is moot anyway.
    Your argument is flawed.

As is yours, by virtue of the fact that "American" is the demonym for one country and one country alone. If you want to change that, start a global petition and have the UN deem it disallowed.

But I hope you realize that even if that happens, we're still calling ourselves Americans.
  • Reply 52 of 167
    So people from South Africa have the right to call themselves "the Africans" sense their country is the only one with the word "Africa" in it?

If I say "I'm going to Africa" it means that I'm going to "South Africa" an not any other country in the continent?

Your argument is flawed.

Yes, they can call themselves Africans but since the entire country is Africa without there being multiple African continents with differing names it would likely be confusing. There is also a 2nd country with the word Africa in it and they and the world have decided to refer to themselves as South Africans.

They could also call themselves Southies if they wanted and there are plenty regions that refer to areas by their cardinal directions but they only do it within the confides of that reference which is the exact opposite of what you are doing.

Again, North and South America are not one continent which is why it's referred to as Americas. I'm simply amazed that you have no prior of knowledge of this.
  • Reply 53 of 167
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Again, North and South America are not one continent which is why it's referred to as Americas. I'm simply amazed that you have no prior of knowledge of this.

To be fair, some places DO consider the Americas a single continent, just as Eurasia is sometimes considered a single continent. But that still doesn't excuse the ignorance of context clues that started this whole thing.

????
  • Reply 54 of 167
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Lief Ericson. But that was Newfoundland and your point is moot anyway.

The population of the American continents long predates Ericson's voyage, so he couldn't have been the discoverer either.

stagrepa wrote: »
    The point of my post is to show people that if you are not specific that the government will not be. In the end their ass is covered because per definition they did bring jobs back to "America"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas
    The Americas, or America,<sup class="reference" id="user_cite_ref-1" style="line-height:1em;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;"><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas#cite_note-1" style="color:rgb(6,69,173);background-image:none;white-space:nowrap;" target="_blank"><span>[</span>2<span>]</span></a>
    </sup>

I wasn't going to post this, being in Wikipedia and all, but since you did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

"The United States of America (commonly called the United States, the U.S., the USA, America, and the States)"
  • Reply 55 of 167
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Here are some ideas for sizes discussed so far and my idea for a mid-sized iPad/Touch.  Please excuse my poor Photo-hacking here.

After looking at all these ideas, personally, I'd take the 6" touch.  Perfect for gaming, slim enough for your pants pocket.  Comparable to a PSP-sized device. and maintaining the 3:2 aspect of the current iPhones for web browsing, email and reading.  Actually this size is very close to the dimensions of a standard paperback book.

Discuss...(click to enlarge)

IPHONE-ITOUCH-IPAD_sizes.jpg

Edit: after further comments below, I reduced the bezel on the 6" iPad image to be similar to the Nook tablet and simple touch.  But I kept the top/bottom bezels the same as before, which is the same as the iPhone.  Personally, you would not be able to hold the 6" touch in portrait view very easily, it would only be really usable in Landscape mode. That's why I showed a more iPad-like version. for comparison.  Additionally, you'd have to keep the top/bottom bezels symmetrical, and since the home button is the same size on all iOS devices (I don't see why they'd make it smaller) you couldn't get much slimmer on the bezel there.

I think you are all missing something. The new iPhone, iPod touch and -- the iPad - could well be 16:9 to compete with the fire. This would make them a larger iPod touch - i.e apps for a retina display could zoom up to this non retina display exactly. 

• Reply 56 of 167
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    hittrj01 wrote: »
    If the price of the Nexus Q is any indication, it doesn't look like American manufacturing is worth the cost. It's all good and noble to have Americans building these things, but if it increases cost by 3x or more, people aren't going to buy your products.

3x?, do you mean the labor component, not final price? Yes it could go from 1 dollar to 3 dollars per unit.(I don't know the real cost, depends on many factors). Did google announce the labor costs?

Also, I like the 6" iPod touch, seems to make better sense to me. But that's just me.
  • Reply 57 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As is yours, by virtue of the fact that "American" is the demonym for one country and one country alone. If you want to change that, start a global petition and have the UN deem it disallowed.

But I hope you realize that even if that happens, we're still calling ourselves Americans.

I'm guessing you haven't traveled to Central or South America much. While your opinion is certainly the majority opinion here in the US, many citizens in other countries south of us consider themselves "Americans." They refer to US citizens as "North Americans."

I'm not suggesting you have to change your US-centric stance, but I would recommend at least being mindful of the many other people who feel differently - especially if you ever need to conduct business internationally.

• Reply 58 of 167
    bill wbill w Posts: 3member
    Everyone thinks iPad mini. No no no. Not iPod noon that stays as the entry level iPod. Upscale the iPod touch to 299 and you compete with kindle. And such and you do not have any more products you do nor tarnish the iPad you just upgrade the iPod touch which needs some help. You could add 3G to it as well and not go 4 to keep price down. iPod Touch S anyone.
  • Reply 59 of 167
    jeffdm wrote: »
    The population of the American continents long predates Ericson's voyage, so he couldn't have been the discoverer either.

Sure he can. People say, for instance, "I discovered this out of the way bistro that has great food." No one then replies with, "You couldn't have discovered it since people were already there."
  • Reply 60 of 167
    jeffdm wrote: »

Absolutely. I was correcting the name for 'rediscovery', since he mentioned that.
    While your opinion is certainly the majority opinion here in the US, many citizens in other countries south of us consider themselves "Americans."

Sure. But it's OUR demonym.
    They refer to US citizens as "North Americans.

I better see someone from Canada, Mexico, Cuba, or one of the other North American countries getting on THEIR case, then.