Rumor: 7-inch iPad to be produced in Brazil for fall launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 167
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I have always understood that Mexico is part of North America, not Central America.

• Reply 62 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ...many citizens in other countries south of us consider themselves "Americans."
    Americans of the South American continent. Nothing wrong with that, but if you are referring to a single country and state America as a singular noun the only reasonable conclusion is that you are from the United States of America.

I'll ask again, do you think it's wrong to use United States as if no other country has states that are united? Of course not, you're just being bigoted and xenophobic.
    They refer to US citizens as "North Americans."
    And US citizen (aka: Americans) are North Americans thus the term is appropriate. They are also Westerners, just as Europeans are Westerners, depending on the location and culture from which the statement is being made. This is rocket science!

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 63 of 167
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

Good Golly Miss Molly! I make a little joke, go away for a bit, come back and find the "Literal Web" has gone ballistic on me. Take a deep breath everyone and let it go. Just let it go.

Really...

• Reply 64 of 167
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    512ke wrote: »
    I have always understood that Mexico is part of North America, not Central America.

Central America isn't even a continent. Everything from Attu Island to Greenland, down to Panama and back over to Trinidad is North America.

I gotta tell you, this is honestly a MUCH better argument than thinking Apple's going to make a 7" tablet. :lol:
  • Reply 65 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

To be fair, some places DO consider the Americas a single continent, just as Eurasia is sometimes considered a single continent. But that still doesn't excuse the ignorance of context clues that started this whole thing.

????

Why do you use characters which appear as square boxes on most computers?

• Reply 66 of 167

With or without a camera ?

• Reply 67 of 167
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    waybacmac wrote: »
    Good Golly Miss Molly! I make a little joke, go away for a bit, come back and find the "Literal Web" has gone ballistic on me. Take a deep breath everyone and let it go. Just let it go.

Really...

I know! There should be a moderator that heads this off...... Oh, wait......
  • Reply 68 of 167
    jwdawso wrote: »
    I know! There should be a moderator that heads this off...... Oh, wait……

I did.

"But then you got back into it."

Because there seems to be nothing left to be said about the article, and no one listens anyway.
  • Reply 69 of 167
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: No man is an island, except maybe Australians.

"No man is an island.............................................................................................................................................he's a peninsula"  --  Spencer Dryden

• Reply 70 of 167
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I thought that this thread would be about iPads and Brazil, but apparently I was wrong. Some jealous people and historical revisionists, quite similar to holocaust deniers and other revisionists, seem to have a problem with the standard definition and the accepted meaning of common words.

If you're not a US citizen, then you are not American, end of story. Too bad for you.

In the Eddie Murphy movie, "Coming to America", only very dumb people and extremely ignorant individuals would ever think that the title meant that the movie would be taking place in South America, for example.

• Reply 71 of 167
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: No man is an island, except maybe Australians.

I believe the correct phrase (according to Pogo) is:

"No man is an Ireland"... Though there is at least one, here, that will dispute it!

P.S.  Where is Mexico located?

• Reply 72 of 167
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I think you are all missing something. The new iPhone, iPod touch and -- the iPad - could well be 16:9 to compete with the fire. This would make them a larger iPod touch - i.e apps for a retina display could zoom up to this non retina display exactly. 

Could be, but the idea presupposes that *all* of Apple's devices are moving to a 16:9 format of which there is yet no evidence at all.  

Also, the entire rumour is predicated on the 1024 x 768 layout and the 7.85" size of the panel.  So the first part of the rumour argues directly against 16:9 and the second part (the diagonal size), means that even if the part were 16:9, it would be within a half inch or so of being the same height as the original iPad and still be around 6" wide.  That isn't very "mini" at all.  

It would also mean (again predicated on the idea that Apple *isn't* turning the entire line to 16:9), that Apple would be selling two iPads, one "regular" one "mini," that are barely indistinguishable in size (one being slightly narrower for the most part), but that have completely different screen resolutions and thus require two different versions of the apps for each.  I don't see Apple doing this ever.  

IMO it makes more sense to keep the 16:9 for the iPhone ,and possibly a new iPod touch and keeping the 4:3 ratio for the iPads since they are more document centric devices.  If they want to cover the entire market, an iPad mini that's 4:3 at roughly 7.75" x 6" and a new iPod touch at 16:9 at roughly 4" diagonal would leave no holes for competitors at all.    

• Reply 73 of 167

Quote:

To be fair, some places DO consider the Americas a single continent, just as Eurasia is sometimes considered a single continent. But that still doesn't excuse the ignorance of context clues that started this whole thing.

????

Let's settle this once and for all!  I can think of no better arbiter than Bo Diddley in his learned dissertation on the subject:

Quote:

Say Man

Say man, what's that boy?I want to tell you 'bout your girlfriendWhat about my girl?Well, you don't look strong enough to take the message

I'm strong enoughI might hurt your feelingsMy feelings are already hurt by being here with youWell, I was walking down the street with your girl the other day

Ah, haAnd the wind was blowin' real hardIs that right?And the wind blew her hair into my face

Ah, haYou know what else happened?What happened?The wind blew her hair into her face

Yeah?And we went a little further, you wanna hear the rest of it?I might as wellThe wind blew her hair into the street

Okay, since you told me about my girlI'm gonna tell you about yoursI was walking down the street with your girlYes?

I took her home, for a drink, you knowTook her home?Yeah, jus' for a drinkOh

But that chick looked so uglyShe had to sneak up on the glass to get a drink of waterYou've got the nerve to call somebody uglyWhy, you so ugly, the storkThat brought you in the world oughta be arrested

That's alright, my momma didn't have to put a sheetOn my head so sleep could slip up on meLook a hereWhat's that?Where are you from?

South AmericaWhat's that?South AmericaYou don't look like no South American to me

I'm still from South AmericaWhat part?South Texas
    Where are your workin' boots at?

I've got 'em onThere aren't no boots you got on, those broguettesHey, look a here What's that?

I've bin tryin' to figure out what you is

I already figured out what you is

What's that

You that thing I throw peanuts at

Look a hereWhat's that?You should be ashamed of yourselfWhy?

Calling people uglyI didn't call you uglyWhat you say?I said you was ruined, that's all

You know somethin'?What?You look like you've bin whooped with a ugly stickHey, I ain't got nothin' to do with it but I beat the fellah, right

Edit:  Sorry I tried to upload/link the original song -- but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that on AI anymore...

• Reply 74 of 167
    P.S.  Where is Mexico located?

"Well, what you wanna do is go south of the border, and then down Mexico way. If you hit Managua, Nicaragua, you've gone too far."
  • Reply 75 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

Really...

Although individuals with Asperger syndrome acquire language skills without significant general delay and their speech typically lacks significant abnormalities, language acquisition and use is often atypical.[8] Abnormalities include verbosity, abrupt transitions, literal interpretations and miscomprehension of nuance, use of metaphor meaningful only to the speaker,auditory perception deficits, unusually pedantic, formal or idiosyncratic speech, and oddities in loudness, pitchintonation,prosody, and rhythm.[1] Echolalia has also been observed in individuals with AS.[36]

Children with AS may have an unusually sophisticated vocabulary at a young age and have been colloquially called "little professors", but have difficulty understanding figurative language and tend to use language literally.[1] Children with AS appear to have particular weaknesses in areas of nonliteral language that include humor, irony, and teasing. Although individuals with AS usually understand the cognitive basis of humor, they seem to lack understanding of the intent of humor to share enjoyment with others.[18] Despite strong evidence of impaired humor appreciation, anecdotal reports of humor in individuals with AS seem to challenge some psychological theories of AS and autism.[37]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers#Speech_and_language

• Reply 76 of 167
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Here are some ideas for sizes discussed so far and my idea for a mid-sized iPad/Touch.  Please excuse my poor Photo-hacking here.

After looking at all these ideas, personally, I'd take the 6" touch.  Perfect for gaming, slim enough for your pants pocket.  Comparable to a PSP-sized device. and maintaining the 3:2 aspect of the current iPhones for web browsing, email and reading.  Actually this size is very close to the dimensions of a standard paperback book.

Discuss...(click to enlarge)

IPHONE-ITOUCH-IPAD_sizes.jpg

Edit: after further comments below, I reduced the bezel on the 6" iPad image to be similar to the Nook tablet and simple touch.  But I kept the top/bottom bezels the same as before, which is the same as the iPhone.  Personally, you would not be able to hold the 6" touch in portrait view very easily, it would only be really usable in Landscape mode. That's why I showed a more iPad-like version. for comparison.  Additionally, you'd have to keep the top/bottom bezels symmetrical, and since the home button is the same size on all iOS devices (I don't see why they'd make it smaller) you couldn't get much slimmer on the bezel there.

I'd take the 7.85" (with less bezel as noted by another poster... but I'm sure Ive would make it very attractive). The 6" one would be fine as well. Anything that is smaller than the current iPad in the 6-8 inch range and has iOS (how about in between 6 and 7.85).

• Reply 77 of 167
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Here are some ideas for sizes discussed so far and my idea for a mid-sized iPad/Touch.  Please excuse my poor Photo-hacking here.

After looking at all these ideas, personally, I'd take the 6" touch.  Perfect for gaming, slim enough for your pants pocket.  Comparable to a PSP-sized device. and maintaining the 3:2 aspect of the current iPhones for web browsing, email and reading.  Actually this size is very close to the dimensions of a standard paperback book.

Discuss...(click to enlarge)

IPHONE-ITOUCH-IPAD_sizes.jpg

Edit: after further comments below, I reduced the bezel on the 6" iPad image to be similar to the Nook tablet and simple touch.  But I kept the top/bottom bezels the same as before, which is the same as the iPhone.  Personally, you would not be able to hold the 6" touch in portrait view very easily, it would only be really usable in Landscape mode. That's why I showed a more iPad-like version. for comparison.  Additionally, you'd have to keep the top/bottom bezels symmetrical, and since the home button is the same size on all iOS devices (I don't see why they'd make it smaller) you couldn't get much slimmer on the bezel there.

Better than the 6-inch Touch would be a 5-inch version because then you would retain the portability that is the current Touch's reason for being. 

• Reply 78 of 167

Quote:

"Well, what you wanna do is go south of the border, and then down Mexico way. If you hit Managua, Nicaragua, you've gone too far."

It was Fiesta and we were so gay...

I hear that Managua, Nicaragua is a "Wonnafull, Wonnaful"  town :}

There, that that's two more things for the thread jackers!

• Reply 79 of 167
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

Really...

Hey... AI loves your comment. Anything to get people amped on the weekend.

I've said it before. AI has to find at least 2 controversial topics for the slow news weekend to up the clicks... and you've inadvertently done the work for them.

• Reply 80 of 167
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    I did.
    "But then you got back into it."
    Because there seems to be nothing left to be said about the article, and no one listens anyway.

: )