Rumor: 7-inch iPad to be produced in Brazil for fall launch

Comments

• Reply 141 of 167
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member

The joke about a comapnay based in California that has said it wishes to bring jobs back into that said comapnaies home nation would not be funny if upon the news report of manufacturing expansion in Brazil, which is in the America's.

Assuming, that citizens residing in the United States, talking about a company that is headquartered in said country, and that said nations citizens, refer to themselves as "American's" the joke was targeted at those who either understand the correlation and "play on words" between the America's and Brazil as referenced to a South American nation and "America" referenceing a name for a nation that its citizens commonly refer to itself and self stated desire to have said nation return jobs to said companies headquarted within the nation state, AKA "United States of America" within the Hemishpere and continental region known as both a National name and greater region namesake that also inhabits some 32 other independent nation states that refer to themselves as other names not generally including the name "America", but may refer said geographical location with other national regions for ease of clarification, upon which further specificity of exact citizenship to particular nation state can later be clarified.

• Reply 142 of 167
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It would be easier if there was only one noun gender in German. Sie beklagen sich nicht.

"American" is our demonym. You want it changed, petition the UN to make it unrecognized. Good luck.

No.

• Reply 143 of 167
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Except there is no confusion, unless you cause it deliberately.

I wonder who the hell asked for a friggin history lesson. 

No one. 

"America" refers to the USA. You can get as technical and anal as you like about it, but your ignorance will be REALLY apparent when you don't understand the common use of the term. And it is ENTIRELY correct.

It's a very easy distinction for everyone else to make, so refusal to do it is simply done for the sake of causing an argument. 

We don't call them Americans. Your mom doesn't call them Americans. Your friends don't call them Americans. We use labels for the purpose of telling everyone apart. Just makes life easier. 

Incidentally, in case you hadn't noticed, they are called BRAZILIANS and MEXICANS, respectively (that is, according to the countries in which they live.)

There is officially "North America" and "South America." Mexico is part of North America. Sometimes we like to use the term "Central America", but that is colloquial. It doesn't officially exist. Sometimes we like to use the term "Americas" to refer to everyone and their dog all the way North and all the way South (and *really* South) of the Mason-Dixon. That's fine, but that term too, is casual. To keep things simple, we understand the continents the way we do now, we understand Mexico's location in the continental scheme of things the way we do now, and we call Brazilians and Mexicans . . .  Brazilians and Mexicans. Not "Americans." 

Pretty easy, isn't it?  Problem solved. Glad I could help.  Now do you have anything remotely relevant to say about iPads being made in BRAZIL?

Some years ago, I taught classes in programming. On one particular tour, I traveled to several countries in Latin America, including: Peru, Guatemala, Panama, Mexico.

I was well-treated by the Latins in all these countries.

Edit: BTW, the word "Gringo" had quite a different meaning in Lima than in Mexico, DF.
  • Reply 144 of 167
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    heffeque wrote: »
    No.

There are quite a few things to rebut in that post. Would you mind narrowing that down?
  • Reply 146 of 167
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It has little to do with China, the tariffs are so high on electronics imported into Brazil that people in Brazil cant afford them. In fact people regularly travel out side of Brazil to shop or engage the black market there. Without a plant in Brazil Apple is effectively priced out of the market.
    penchanted wrote: »
    I think it would be great news to hear of device assembly being moved to Brazil. I know it reduces the effectiveness of the full supply chain in China, but it also sends a message that China needs to behave manner with regards to worker treatment and the way the intellectual property rights are sorted through their opaque judicial system.

I'd love to hear that Foxconn was building another assembly plant in India, Indonesia, Malaysia or Vietnam.
  • Reply 147 of 167
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I once got thrown into a business trip to Brazil and must say it. Is in many ways a wonderful place. Considering how unprepared I was for the trip I got treated very well indeed. Frankly I was a bit over whelmed at just how nice everyone is. This is in stark Contrast to how some business travelers are treated in the USA.

Now I can't speak to the rest of the Southern countries but I'd highly recommend a trip to Brazil for anyone that can afford it. Great people and some of the best eating on the planet. It isn't all fun and games though, there is still massive poverty and some things just look backwards to somebody from the USA. All in all a much better place to travel than Ireland or some other places I've been.
    Some years ago, I taught classes in programming. On one particular tour, I traveled to several countries in Latin America, including: Peru, Guatemala, Panama, Mexico.
    I was well-treated by the Latins in all these countries.
    Edit: BTW, the word "Gringo" had quite a different meaning in Lima than in Mexico, DF.
  • Reply 148 of 167
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    It has little to do with China, the tariffs are so high on electronics imported into Brazil that people in Brazil cant afford them. In fact people regularly travel out side of Brazil to shop or engage the black market there. Without a plant in Brazil Apple is effectively priced out of the market.

Last report said the prices haven't changed after the product rolled out. Is there any more recent news?
  • Reply 150 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I just picked a few... and they're all in singular. No "Americas" to be seen ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

Was that so hard?

PS: Let me know when the change the name of the USA to Just One Country In The World That Has United States And One Of Thirty-Five Countries In A Newly Named Super Continent Called America¡
  • Reply 151 of 167
    I just picked a few... and they're all in singular. No "Americas" to be seen ;-)

At first this was fun, but now you're all just trolling.

• Reply 152 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

Was that so hard?

PS: Let me know when the change the name of the USA to Just One Country In The World That Has United States And One Of Thirty-Five Countries In A Newly Named Super Continent Called America¡

My point exacly. The rest of the world already knows what America is, and don't call it "Americas" instead of "America". It's been that way long time before the USA was founded.

Quote:

At first this was fun, but now you're all just trolling.

Well that should change. America in any other language means America, not Americas. It's English speaking people that don't know other languages the ones that don't seem to get it.

• Reply 153 of 167
    [quote name="heffeque" url="/t/151145/rumor-7-inch-ipad-to-be-produced-in-brazil-for-fall-launch/120#post_2144797"]The rest of the world already knows what America is, and don't call it "Americas" instead of "America".[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ on that. Anywhere that considers the Americas two continents would refer to them as "the Americas" when speaking about both continents.

[QUOTE]Well that should change.[/QUOTE]

So, again, petition the UN to force us to change our country's demonym. In the meantime, the word will continue to mean exactly what it means because it has meant that for centuries.
  • Reply 154 of 167
    My point exacly. The rest of the world already knows what America is, and don't call it "Americas" instead of "America". It's been that way long time before the USA was founded.

1) That is not your point.

2) You let us know how it works out when you wonder if someone means Mexico, America or some other oountry when they are from the United States yet I have a feeling you don't feign that terminology is confusing and ambiguous.
  • Reply 155 of 167

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

The rest of the world already knows what America is, and don't call it "Americas" instead of "America".

I beg to differ on that. Anywhere that considers the Americas two continents would refer to them as "the Americas" when speaking about both continents.

Quote:

Well that should change.

So, again, petition the UN to force us to change our country's demonym. In the meantime, the word will continue to mean exactly what it means because it has meant that for centuries.

Well then... sense there's Eastern Europe and Western Europe... we'll have to start calling it "the Europes".

That's just stupid.

Almost all the world knows: America, Asia, Europe, Africa and Oceania. Teachers usually take as an example the olympic flag, where the 5 rings represent the 5 continents (Antarctica being just a piece of rock covered in snow).

No wonder the US and the UK still use medieval units like feet, inches and pounds, although at least the UK is actually slowly adapting to the more advanced and scientific International System.

Quote:

1) That is not your point.

2) You let us know how it works out when you wonder if someone means Mexico, America or some other oountry when they are from the United States yet I have a feeling you don't feign that terminology is confusing and ambiguous.

1) Yes it is. Look for any other language that uses "Americas" instead of "America". Can you find one? And no, "Simple English" doesn't count as another language.

2) Actually the name is "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" and not "Estados Unidos de México", the name in English is "United Mexican States", not "United States of Mexico" ;-)

• Reply 156 of 167
    [quote name="heffeque" url="/t/151145/rumor-7-inch-ipad-to-be-produced-in-brazil-for-fall-launch/120#post_2145201"]Well then… sense there's Eastern Europe and Western Europe… we'll have to start calling it "the Europes".[/QUOTE]

… Europe is one continent. North America is one continent. South America is one continent. Therefore in English, as with most nouns, the plural is created by the appending of an 's'. So Americas. North and South.

[QUOTE]Almost all the world knows: America, Asia, Europe, Africa and Oceania. Teachers usually take as an example the olympic flag, where the 5 rings represent the 5 continents (Antarctica being just a piece of rock covered in snow).[/QUOTE]

Ah, so Australia is just a piece of rock covered in sand. So four continents. And Eurafricasia is considered a single continent by some, so that's two continents.

Guess there are only two continents. So when I start calling people Easters, you'll know what I mean. Not Easter Islanders, as they don't deserve to be recognized based on the name of the place they live (note that actual natives of Easter Island are known as Rapa Nui or Pascuense, which is a pretty funny irony).

[QUOTE]No wonder the US and the UK still use medieval units like feet, inches and pounds, although at least the UK is actually slowly adapting to the more advanced and scientific International System.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's certainly the argument we're having, and it's definitely relevant to the argument at hand and connected such that the segue you've made is logical.
  • Reply 157 of 167
    1) Yes it is. Look for any other language that uses "Americas" instead of "America". Can you find one? And no, "Simple English" doesn't count as another language.
    2) Actually the name is "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" and not "Estados Unidos de México", the name in English is "United Mexican States", not "United States of Mexico" ;-)

1) If you want claim that you don't know what is meant by something saying they are from America when the context is clearly about a country then you right ahead but know you'll look like an idiot.

2) If you want to claim that other countries don't have united states then go right ahead but know you'll look like an idiot when you do.
  • Reply 158 of 167
    [quote name="Tallest Skil" url="/t/151145/rumor-7-inch-ipad-to-be-produced-in-brazil-for-fall-launch/120#post_2145202"][quote name="heffeque" url="/t/151145/rumor-7-inch-ipad-to-be-produced-in-brazil-for-fall-launch/120#post_2145201"]Well then… sense there's Eastern Europe and Western Europe… we'll have to start calling it "the Europes".[/QUOTE]
    Guess there are only two continents. So when I start calling people Easters, you'll know what I mean. Not Easter Islanders, as they don't deserve to be recognized based on the name of the place they live (note that actual natives of Easter Island are known as Rapa Nui or Pascuense, which is a pretty funny irony).[/QUOTE]

Watch out, he might start arguing that Earth is the only continent in the world. After all, [I]earth[/I] can be defined as "the substance of the land surface."

PS: Europes? really? So he's moved a definition that based on landmasses to one that is based solely to geo-politial lines to define the largest land masses on the planet. This guy too far out of whack to even continue. At some point you have to realize that some people don't care about education.
  • Reply 159 of 167

Quote:

Quote:

Well then… sense there's Eastern Europe and Western Europe… we'll have to start calling it "the Europes".

… Europe is one continent. North America is one continent. South America is one continent. Therefore in English, as with most nouns, the plural is created by the appending of an 's'. So Americas. North and South.

Quote:

Almost all the world knows: America, Asia, Europe, Africa and Oceania. Teachers usually take as an example the olympic flag, where the 5 rings represent the 5 continents (Antarctica being just a piece of rock covered in snow).

Ah, so Australia is just a piece of rock covered in sand. So four continents. And Eurafricasia is considered a single continent by some, so that's two continents.

Guess there are only two continents. So when I start calling people Easters, you'll know what I mean. Not Easter Islanders, as they don't deserve to be recognized based on the name of the place they live (note that actual natives of Easter Island are known as Rapa Nui or Pascuense, which is a pretty funny irony).

Quote:

No wonder the US and the UK still use medieval units like feet, inches and pounds, although at least the UK is actually slowly adapting to the more advanced and scientific International System.

Yes, that's certainly the argument we're having, and it's definitely relevant to the argument at hand and connected such that the segue you've made is logical.

If Europe is one continent, so is America. Tell me what's your argument for separating America in two and why separating Europe in two isn't valid. Please, don't confuse continents with tectonic plates.

Australia is part of Oceania. I thought that that was basic knowledge, I see it isn't. And yes, demonyms don't always coincide with the name of its region. For example, people from the Philippines are called Pinoys and people from Ciudad Rodrigo are called Mirobrigenses because the town used to be called Miróbriga Augusta.

Yes, it's relevant. It's English vs the rest of the world.

Quote:

1) If you want claim that you don't know what is meant by something saying they are from America when the context is clearly about a country then you right ahead but know you'll look like an idiot.

2) If you want to claim that other countries don't have united states then go right ahead but know you'll look like an idiot when you do.

1) I'm not claiming that. I'm just saying that it's wrong. America is a continent. Using that name for one of its countries is arrogant and is disrespectful to the other countries in America.

2) I'm not claiming that other countries don't have united states. Even Spain has states of its own. I'm claiming that Mexico wasn't a good example. If you had said Colombia, you'd have a point ;-)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well then… sense there's Eastern Europe and Western Europe… we'll have to start calling it "the Europes".

Watch out, he might start arguing that Earth is the only continent in the world. After all, earth can be defined as "the substance of the land surface."

PS: Europes? really? So he's moved a definition that based on landmasses to one that is based solely to geo-politial lines to define the largest land masses on the planet. This guy too far out of whack to even continue. At some point you have to realize that some people don't care about education.

I never said that I believe that Antarctica is just a piece of rock covered in snow, I just explained the reason why teachers usually ignore Antarctica.

You still haven't told me not even ONE language that uses "Americas" for the name of the continent instead of "America" (other than English, obviously).

PD: I wasn't going to clarify the last sentence with the "other than English" part, but reading your previous comments I'd say that I shouldn't take logical and obvious things for granted.

• Reply 160 of 167
    [quote name="heffeque" url="/t/151145/rumor-7-inch-ipad-to-be-produced-in-brazil-for-fall-launch/120#post_2145466"]If Europe is one continent, so is America. Tell me what's your argument for separating America in two and why separating Europe in two isn't valid. Please, don't confuse continents with tectonic plates.[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/171738/width/500/height/300][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/171738/width/500/height/300[/IMG][/URL]

[QUOTE]For example, people from the Philippines are called Pinoys…[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/171739/width/165/height/30][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/171739/width/165/height/30[/IMG][/URL]

[QUOTE]Yes, it's relevant. It's English vs the rest of the world.[/QUOTE]

And China. And India. So the majority.

[QUOTE]1) I'm not claiming that. I'm just saying that it's wrong. America is a continent. Using that name for one of its countries is arrogant and is disrespectful to the other countries in America.[/QUOTE]

Not to sound "arrogant" or "disrespectful", but too frigging bad, because that's how it has been since we got over being called "colonials".