UK judge says Samsung tablet not 'cool' enough to be mistaken for iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sleepy3 wrote: »
    Hmmm, seems that Apple kinda got their arses kicked by a Judge who, like everyone not working for Apple's lawfirm, can actually tell the difference between an ipad and a Galaxy tab AND realises that rectangles are a RIDICULOUS idea to try and sue someone for having. 

So Samsung's lawyers work for Apple's law firm? Isn't that a conflict of interest?

Not even going to comment on how cloud-headed you'd have to be to bring up the latter part of that sentence again. :lol:
  • Reply 42 of 128
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

ruling.png

• Reply 43 of 128
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So Samsung's lawyers work for Apple's law firm? Isn't that a conflict of interest?

Not even going to comment on how cloud-headed you'd have to be to bring up the latter part of that sentence again. image

What's wrong with the latter part of the sentence? Apple sues that argument all the time  image

• Reply 44 of 128
    sleepy3 wrote: »
    What's wrong with the latter part of the sentence? Apple sues that argument all the time  :lol:

Of course they do.
  • Reply 45 of 128
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Really, its kinda hard to tell who won this one...

Loss or win, Apple can keep the legal wheels turning one way or the other. It's their right, anyway, as it is everyone else's. And meanwhile they'll continue to enjoy their success. Legal battles haven't kept them from posting record profits, achieving blockbuster sales, and wining consumers' hearts and minds. 

A blow to mindshare, however, is horrible. Samsung and "un-cool" splashed across the tech news, especially in Apple's market presence. THAT is the last thing Samsung needed in terms of publicity, for a product that has been floundering in the market since its introduction. 

Mindshare is everything. 

• Reply 46 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course they do.

yep image

Not to mention the ever present, "slightly rounded corners" which they invented image

• Reply 47 of 128
    diplicationdiplication Posts: 609member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I don't think anyone has ever bought a Galaxy Tab thinking they bought an iPad..

Really?  I can easily see someone going into their local Best Buy or Verizon store and stating that they want to buy an iPad - something about which they had little factual information, just that they had heard about it - only to be shown the latest Samsung tablet by the salesman.  I can also easily see that salesman on many occasions closing the deal.  If the customer was not paying close attention, they would think they had bought an iPad.  This would be especially true if the purchased tablet was meant as a gift, the original purchaser might have very limited knowledge of what they were buying and were depending on the salesman when they asked for an iPad.  I don't think the vast majority of customers got misdirected, but I believe a significant number did.

• Reply 48 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Really?  I can easily see someone going into their local Best Buy or Verizon store and stating that they want to buy an iPad - something about which they had little factual information, just that they had heard about it - only to be shown the latest Samsung tablet by the salesman.  I can also easily see that salesman on many occasions closing the deal.  If the customer was not paying close attention, they would think they had bought an iPad.  This would be especially true if the purchased tablet was meant as a gift, the original purchaser might have very limited knowledge of what they were buying and were depending on the salesman when they asked for an iPad.  I don't think the vast majority of customers got misdirected, but I believe a significant number did.

Yeah happened when i went to buy a Ferrari 430. I didn't know much about it, only that it was a two seater, was fast, rear wheel driver, smooth lines. 

So the sales person showed me one and i was like, YEAH 430 BABY!!! WOOO!!!."

I mean, both of them are red, have four wheels, 2 wipers, low to the ground, rounded headlights, uncluttered roof, OF COURSE IT HAD TO BE A 430!

Then I got home and what i thought was this

http://autocarss.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/althonealexis.blogspot.com_FerrariF430-26.jpg

Turned out to be this. 

http://www.businessrevieweurope.eu/technology/mclaren_mp412c_006.jpg

Should have known by the fact it said neither Ferrari nor 430 anywhere on the packaging, or on my bill. I mean, i could have easily returned it when i saw clearly that UPON STARTUP, the display said McLaren and NOT Ferrari, but i didn't catch on. Now I'm stuck with this pile of junk car. Sucks so bad.

Was so pissed. 

True story. 

• Reply 49 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

I don't see it ;)

I doubt you have any claims from anyone that they went into a Verizon or Best Buy, asked to see an iPad and weren't shown an iPad. They may have also been shown competing devices as well but would be very surprised to find the customer wasn't ever shown the product they asked for if it was available.

• Reply 50 of 128
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    boredumb wrote: »
    Really, its kinda hard to tell who won this one...

Nope... (allegedly) 'Cool' or not, Apple clearly lost this one.
  • Reply 51 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't see it ;)

I doubt you have any claims from anyone that they went into a Verizon or Best Buy, asked to see an iPad and weren't shown an iPad. They may have also been shown competing devices as well but would be very surprised to find the customer wasn't ever shown the product they asked for if it was available.

Didn't figure you would.  Just reassuring myself of your reputation.

• Reply 52 of 128

Let's be honest now... While the look of a device is important, nobody notices it when they're using it, unless the design in part of the use (not he case in tablets)...

I wonder when the digital frame companies will sue Apple for making the iPad look too much like a picture frame?

Beyond a joke... 

• Reply 53 of 128
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    People intentionally buy fake Louis Vuitton purses from China. There is no confusion. But selling those purses is still wrong.
  • Reply 54 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Didn't figure you would.  Just reassuring myself of your reputation.

You're more than welcome to prove me wrong....

• Reply 55 of 128
    I wonder when the digital frame companies will sue Apple for making the iPad look too much like a picture frame?

Beyond a joke… 

Good, because it wasn't funny in the slightest.
  • Reply 56 of 128
    I was walking through the Walmart electronics department and there was a Galaxy Tab in the iPad display box. I went back a week later and it was still there.
  • Reply 57 of 128
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I agree with the Judge's part about it not being cool enough but just cause they do a shitty job of implementing the copy does not mean they did not steal the design. IMHO it is still enough to confuse the consumer -- hell their lawyers couldn't even identify which was Samsungs. If someone who is on the same team can't tell the difference is a consumer gonna take the time to look at the diffs -- I doubt it (not giving too much credit to lawyers in general here just that they are supposedly familiar with their product).

A black rectangle with a glass screen? That same design exists in my living room....it's called a HD TV.  I cannot believe supposed adults are arguing over the appearance of these tablets. The comment about identifying the devices is just stooooopid. I cannot ID a TV at a glance either...I look at the logo on the front. 

• Reply 58 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

So this is how the judge decides cases?  Not on merit of infractions of IP and Patent violations but by it not being cool?  Crazy.  Well this judge is cool...  that is, not so hot!

/

/

/

Please identify which IP and patent violations you are referring to? 

These?

"Apple has insisted that the three Samsung tablet products infringe several features of Apple’s design right, such as 'slightly rounded corners,' 'a flat transparent surface without any ornamentation,' and 'a thin profile.'"

• Reply 59 of 128
    When did a UK judge last use an iPad? Clueless. Samsung copy, copy, copy, copy.........they do not write their own OS.........so dumb judge answer this, did Samsung innovate? NO, NO...they never have. . Cool is subjective and not a judgement, send him to prison, idiot.
  • Reply 60 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by BladeDag View Post

When did a UK judge last use an iPad? Clueless. Samsung copy, copy, copy, copy.........they do not write their own OS.........so dumb judge answer this, did Samsung innovate? NO, NO...they never have. . Cool is subjective and not a judgement, send him to prison, idiot.Cou

Your first post and you attack the judge and Samsung calling for his imprisonment? Wow...just, wow.

You realize that Siri, which Apple touted as the be-all-end-all of iOS updates was NOT CREATED BY APPLE??!!!??? But instead, Siri was purchased from another company and added to iOS. You should note that Siri used to work on all iPhones, but Apple intentionally limited it used to the iPhone 4s. So does that mean Apple doesn't innovate either?