Rumor: Next-gen iPhone now in production, possible design change in tow

Comments

• Reply 61 of 132
    tbell wrote: »

His quote is taken out of context and doesn't match up with history. Apple has always been a hardware company. Wozniak's claim to fame was hardware. The only reason Apple creates most of its software is to make the hardware more valuable. That is why Apple gets pissed off when people steal the hardware designs  and wants an injunction when a company like Microsoft would only want a license. Apple used to frequently change the design of its hardware around when its customer base was smaller to get people to buy new hardware. For the longest time there wasn't anything comparable to iMovie and iPhoto on any other platform.

If you go into any phone store and compare Apple's hardware with the rest, it is clear Apple's hardware is leaps above. I especially don't understand why Samsung does so well. It's hardware is made out of the cheapest materials and feels that way. 

It could be doing 'well' in terms of quantity sold. After all, someone has to cater to the low-taste, low profit end.
  • Reply 62 of 132
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Phones are not just phones anymore...

If you want to talk by it, you can use a hand free Bluetooth

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I must have made, in total, less than 50 phones calls on iPhones in all the years I've used them, and all but a couple of those were using the headphone mic.

Just my experience obviously. I'd love a bigger screen on my iPhone. If Apple were to offer one the size of a Galaxy Note 2, I'd snap it up.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Bottom line: if you go too big or too small it loses much of its intended utility regardless of the what is written on a spec sheet.

Is 4.8" too big? For me it is, and by a large margin, but I can see how some people would want that as their pocketable phone. Is

Speech is our natural and earliest form of communication, as Siri demonstrates.

Using a headset is still more fiddly than speaking directly into a device.

I don't believe most people will choose a phone you can only use with a headset over one you can talk into directly.

I think SuperTomcat and kotatsu make a case for Apple introducing an iPod Touch with 3G data or an iPad Mini, for those who don't need to speak to others over the phone.

• Reply 63 of 132
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

3.5 ''  is a bit small, while 4.8'' is big to hold in your pocket. Something right in the middle would be nice. Of course everyone likes something different. More important is the overall design of the Iphone5, sleek,different etc.

• Reply 64 of 132
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bushman4 wrote: »
    3.5 ''  is a bit small, while 4.8'' is big to hold in your pocket. Something right in the middle would be nice.

I think a lot of people (read: the ones that erroneously claim that everyone happy with the current iPhones) don't want a larger display. I want an incredibly large display I just don't want an incredibly large phone for that display. Until we change the physics of this universe there will be a limitation in this area. I would imagine that an iPhone with a larger display would be around the same volume as all previous iPhones, not something that is 50% or more than previous phones. That's a tradeoff I'm not willing to make in my pocketable devices. I never had an interest in an iPod until the Mini was released specifically because I felt the previous models were too big.
    Of course everyone likes something different. More important is the overall design of the Iphone5, sleek,different etc.

Making something different just to be different is like playing roulette by looking at the leader board and choosing the colour hasn't come up in a while.

Apple/Jobs has said many times that it will only change a design if the change be made better. Sometimes they are wrong about making a change. For instance, the iPod Shuffle that lost the physical buttons in favour of the controls on the headphones. Now I loved this because I'd be a huge fan of those controls since the iPhone came out but it was not a market success. Perhaps it would work if they could get voice controls on the Shuffle but that summons a different thread about being ready for a market.
  • Reply 65 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bushman4 wrote: »
    More important is the overall design of the Iphone5, sleek,different etc.

Why?
  • Reply 66 of 132
    hngfrhngfr Posts: 72member

"The all-new MacBook Pro features a Multi-Touch trackpad with a large, all-glass button surface. So you can tap, pinch, swipe, and click away comfortably."

what if the new glass back cover is also an "all-glass button surface" 

it would explain the equal sizes of the top and bottom metal surface at the back of the iphone  

and why its longer, so more room to tap touch at the back while holding it in landscape 

• Reply 67 of 132

Please do not confuse whining for whining's sake as a vehicle for new ideas. It is barely tolerable to hear from a child and it is an absolutely reprehensible behavior in an adult.

This "poor me" attitude is gets tiresome very quickly. A swift kick in the n*ts from time to time provides a good wake up call.

If you want examples of groupthink, look no further than Google, Microsoft and any PC vendors out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Banishment is too good for the infidel.  Off with his head!

But seriously - is an echo chamber where one preaches to the choir desirable?  Are new ideas heresy?  What do you do when the emperor really is NOT wearing new clothes?  Groupthink is very destructive.  

• Reply 68 of 132
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

It'd be awesome to see more colors than black/white/silver. I'd be all over a dark red one.

That would be welcome but sadly I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. We've had black/white/silver for the past 10 years now and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we still had the same colour scheme in another 10 years. Clearly Apple designers have no sense of fun anymore.

• Reply 69 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

My point was that he's consistently whines about Apple getting things wrong.

Isn't that the whole point of a forum like this - to express your opinions, good or bad, about Apples' products.

I realise that deviation from total unadulterated adoration for everything Apple does is frowned upon in this forum - but that lack of objectivity only serves to devalue many of the comments on here. 

• Reply 70 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    shaun, uk wrote: »
    I realize that deviation from total unadulterated adoration for everything Apple does is frowned upon in this forum…

No, it's that nonsensical attitude which is frowned upon but carried by so many "legitimate users" here.
  • Reply 71 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it's that nonsensical attitude which is frowned upon but carried by so many "legitimate users" here.

Define "nonsensical attitude" please

• Reply 72 of 132
    Define "nonsensical attitude" please

Would you really like an example? Really........?
  • Reply 73 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Would you really like an example? Really........?

Yes go on why not - as long it's your own words not simply quoting someone else's post

• Reply 74 of 132
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think the construction was readily apparent either way. It looked like it might have been a different material, but if so, the edges and seemingly nonexistent or incredibly tight seams hid that fact very well. It looked at least as plausible to be a different texture of metal.

I disagree.  Whether or not the parts were real, if we take them as such, they clearly showed that the two pieces at the top an bottom of the backplate were a different material that were physically attached to the unibody part.  They looked like glass to me or possibly ceramic, but definitely a different material that had been attached to the backplate.  

This current story makes little sense in that the best one can assume from it is that they laid a big piece of glass over the whole back even though the middle part will still be unibody metal underneath.  That would be an awful design that would add millimetres of thickness for no real reason at all and functionally identical to the 4.0 design.  

As some have already commented however, this is a very poorly written articles.  Many of the sentences don't make grammatical sense, several are comma spliced compound sentences and few follow any kind of subject-object-predicate kind of construction one would expect of an article written in the English language, since, you know ... THAT'S HOW ENGLISH IS SUPPOSED TO BE WRITTEN.  

• Reply 75 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

That would be welcome but sadly I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. We've had black/white/silver for the past 10 years now and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we still had the same colour scheme in another 10 years. Clearly Apple designers have no sense of fun anymore.

Apple generally does colours on their products when they run out of "real" design changes.  This is typical of most designs and designers everywhere.  There has to be some way to fool people into laying out hundreds of bucks every year for the new product and when there are no "real" functional design changes to be made it becomes all about what's this year's new colour or style.  

Sneakers for instance, haven't had any significant changes or improvements for over 50 years but every year they come out with different colours, flashes, stripes, treads and other gimmicks & doohickies in order to convince people to buy a new pair every year.  It's like fins and chrome on cars.  

• Reply 76 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcrayon View Post

Dude, the iPad is the most innovative phone out there.  It's got a 9.7" screen...

Sadly, VoIP is not the same as having a real phone however.  If the iPad mini arrives as predicted I could easily drop every other function that I use my phone for and move to the one device except for the simple fact that Apple won't put the phone app on the iPad even on the 3G models.  It will happen though and probably within the next two years.

• Reply 77 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by brinsmaid View Post

The back glass is not Gorilla glass on the 4 and 4s.

Is too.  

• Reply 78 of 132
    Isn't that the whole point of a forum like this - to express your opinions, good or bad, about Apples' products.

I realise that deviation from total unadulterated adoration for everything Apple does is frowned upon in this forum - but that lack of objectivity only serves to devalue many of the comments on here.
    The party line of the "concerned troll". There are too many trolls here who are very subtle and contribute nothing to the discussions. Often by pretending to own Apple products and claiming their criticisms are those of a paying customer who wants their device improved.
  • Reply 79 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Apple generally does colours on their products when they run out of "real" design changes.  This is typical of most designs and designers everywhere.  There has to be some way to fool people into laying out hundreds of bucks every year for the new product and when there are no "real" functional design changes to be made it becomes all about what's this year's new colour or style.  

Sneakers for instance, haven't had any significant changes or improvements for over 50 years but every year they come out with different colours, flashes, stripes, treads and other gimmicks & doohickies in order to convince people to buy a new pair every year.  It's like fins and chrome on cars.  

I don't mind the black or white options for iOS devices but I wish they would move on from silver/black on the Mac. Maybe an all black MBP and a range of colours for the MBA.

When I walk into the AppleStore it feels like a hospital - cold, sterile, devoid of any colour.

"Doohickies" - Never heard that before - what a great word

• Reply 80 of 132
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I disagree.  Whether or not the parts were real, if we take them as such, they clearly showed that the two pieces at the top an bottom of the backplate were a different material that were physically attached to the unibody part.  They looked like glass to me or possibly ceramic, but definitely a different material that had been attached to the backplate.  

I don't think it's quite so clear. Some of the prototype pictures showed a one piece metal back with the top and bottom brushed and the middle section polished. That would make more sense than layering glass on top of the metal.