Rumor: Next-gen iPhone now in production, possible design change in tow

Comments

• Reply 81 of 132
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

... one with a modern screen size?...

This just shows that you swallowed the marketing hook, line and sinker.  

Any advertiser would be delighted to find out that you have internalised their buzzwords and PoV in this way.  Ask yourself why you said "modern screen size" and what it actually means as a term.  Why is a larger screen, a more "modern" screen?  It's an advertising term.  It translates to "the latest screen size (trend)" which translates to "what we are selling you this year."  

More proof that people actually want what they are told to want, (regardless of our desire to see ourselves as intelligent, independent, decision-making individuals).   

• Reply 82 of 132
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    mstone wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I really want a larger iPhone. Perhaps a smaller iPhone, like really small and then have an iPad mini to do browsing and maps. With Siri you could conceivably have an iPhone like 50 mm square, even wrist style, that would do voice search everything and even FaceTime. Everything else would be better on an iPad mini anyway.

Dick Tracy wannabe are you?
  • Reply 83 of 132
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think it's quite so clear. Some of the prototype pictures showed a one piece metal back with the top and bottom brushed and the middle section polished. That would make more sense than layering glass on top of the metal.

I'm basing my opinion on the shots of the inside of the back piece, where you can clearly see (IMO of course) that there are many rivet-looking attachment points, a different colour and type of material, and a clear demarkation line between the areas/parts.  

If the back was indeed unibody and made entirely out of aluminium, it wouldn't have any of that.  It would also be carved out of one piece and therefore the antennas at the top and bottom wouldn't work as they would be part of the back-plate.  

It would also mean that Apple made a single, unibody part and then "dressed it up" by making a big stripe across the middle of the back that doesn't even line up with the antenna separators, for no good reason other than decoration.  This would be "bad design 101" and not likely from Apple.

• Reply 84 of 132
    bushman4 wrote: »
    Hopeful Apple realizes that hardware is as important as the operating software.

You think so -- they started with hardware in Steve's Mom's garage. Built the Apple II that was innovative and different than anything else that had come. Had the first affordable network hardware as well as software, invented Firewire for a faster interface (unfortunately lack of mass adoption made it more expensive), implemented the first ThunderBolt interface that has the ability to encompass all the connectivity standards with a single connector (along with Intel), introduced an iPhone like no one had seen before and everyone is trying to copy. Same with the iPad and the MacBook Air and countless other products many of which like the iSight camera, trackpad and screen resolution and quality that I have yet to see matched on another laptop or all-in-one desktop (iMac) and am not likely to see since the competitors are more interested in cutting price than maintaining.

I would state that Apple cares about the entire user experience which includes hardware and software but also things like the how manufacturing effects or environment, how recyclable the product is so that it does not leave a blight when an owner deciders it has outlived its usefulness to them. In short Apple realizes that it is important to look at a product from raw materials to how it can be used to do away with adding to the dump a nonrenewable resource.

I don't think you have to worry about Apples concern for the hardware -- to Apple the product consists of a blend of hardware and software which when combined make something much greater than the value of either part alone, that is why they control the entire ecosystem in regards to the products they deliver.
  • Reply 85 of 132
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I'm basing my opinion on the shots of the inside of the back piece, where you can clearly see (IMO of course) that there are many rivet-looking attachment points, a different colour and type of material, and a clear demarkation line between the areas/parts.  

If the back was indeed unibody and made entirely out of aluminium, it wouldn't have any of that.  It would also be carved out of one piece and therefore the antennas at the top and bottom wouldn't work as they would be part of the back-plate.  

It would also mean that Apple made a single, unibody part and then "dressed it up" by making a big stripe across the middle of the back that doesn't even line up with the antenna separators, for no good reason other than decoration.  This would be "bad design 101" and not likely from Apple.

I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over it. The other 'prototype' didn't have those attachment points. It was a one piece back with different shading rather than a glass cover.

Apple undoubtedly made a number of prototypes with different designs. Until we see some solid evidence (and this source doesn't have any), no one outside of Apple knows what's going on.
  • Reply 86 of 132
    Oh gosh... I'm so sorry I'm and Android user guys.

I guess I'll throw my macbook away in shame.

Sounds like a bit of a troll speaking.

Nobody is trying to get you to toss the products you own. The consensus on this forum is that the iPhone and iPad (iOS inclusive) are superior. If you expect to post something here touting how much better an Android device is than previously mentioned products and expect a standing ovation you are delusional. I for one would say that you should keep your MacBook (of course that is up to you) and if you are satisfied with your android device then keep it also. Most here would just say that they have higher standards than you but nothing is stopping you from buying what you want.

Hell most here don't care if you use to cans with a bit of string but don't expect applause for your android nonsense.

BTW: Your view might be clearer if you stay away from the magic mushrooms -- I don't know about maroon ones but I know the inky purple ones tend to give you a decidedly different outlook on life not always based on reality.
  • Reply 87 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcrayon View Post

(Also tired of people saying that increasing the size of the iPhone is "catching up" to anything, as if there are no tradeoffs to a larger screen size, only benefits)

Are you saying that the existence of any tradeoff means that a product upgrade cannot possibly be "catching up"?

How does that work?

• Reply 88 of 132
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Because they present compelling value propositions to consumers.  

But it doesn't. The phones often cost more than better made Apple and Nokia options (yes the Lumina is well made). 

• Reply 89 of 132
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    bushman4 wrote: »
    Um, Apple had an industrial designer reporting to the CEO. That should tell you all you need to know about the importance of hardware at Apple.
  • Reply 90 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

That would be welcome but sadly I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. We've had black/white/silver for the past 10 years now and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we still had the same colour scheme in another 10 years. Clearly Apple designers have no sense of fun anymore.

but iPods are available in colors - and many people want to have a replaceable case - that can take care of the daily knocks and scratches - surely for a phone thats where you get your vibrant colors?

• Reply 91 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    but iPods are available in colors - and many people want to have a replaceable case - that can take care of the daily knocks and scratches - surely for a phone thats where you get your vibrant colors?

Oh, yeah. That's what people want. Replaceable parts.
  • Reply 92 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, yeah. That's what people want. Replaceable parts.

what - mr global moderator? who said anything about replaceable parts- fact most people use a case with their iPhone - available in many colors.

I don't use one myself - I like the iColor, and don't like adding thickness

Edit - i meant a case of the type that already exist for all phones - surely you didn't think i meant Apple should sell some kind of skeleton and we add our own Enclosure

• Reply 93 of 132

Quote:

Why?

Apple's form factors have been game changers.  They reinvent in order to improve.  

I'm struck (as you seem to be) by the number of folks who seem to want an exterior change just for the sake of change.  I would expect that any form factor changes by Apple will be to improve function, and not just to look nice.  Looking good will also be a design objective, but Apple goes for the form follows function thing, so I wouldn't expect change for the sake of change, without functionality improvements as the real reason for the changes.

• Reply 94 of 132
    peter236 wrote: »
    Apple is not leading the technological trend these days. Samsung and others are leading the trend by making 4.5 inch and 4.8 inch phones, which have large market demand. Apple is allowing its competitor to get away with rising sales.

Apple is also failing to "lead the technological trend" in making low cost, low margin, plasticky laptops with 15" screens at $299. Apple is allowing its competitors to get away with rising sales. But not rising margins.
  • Reply 95 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Quote:

The party line of the "concerned troll". There are too many trolls here who are very subtle and contribute nothing to the discussions. Often by pretending to own Apple products and claiming their criticisms are those of a paying customer who wants their device improved.

Are you accusing DaHarder?  He posted pics.  He seems to enjoy having a wide variety of gear, including Apple stuff.  didn't he say he bought an iPad for each member of his family?

• Reply 96 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="Right_said_fred" url="/t/151281/rumor-next-gen-iphone-now-in-production-possible-design-change-in-tow/80#post_2147309"]what - mr global moderator?[/QUOTE]

I love that you think this has to do with anything. Keep 'em coming.

[QUOTE]who said anything about replaceable parts- fact most people use a case with their iPhone - available in many colors.[/QUOTE]

Indeed they do, but we're also talking about manufactured colors. The Dell situation is a stopgap between the two.
  • Reply 97 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The iPod was for many years completely untouchable, the best in it's class by far. I loved it.

The iPhone 3G was a worthy successor, a revelation in portable computing. It amazed me on a regular basis.

I liked my iPhone 4 a fair bit too, until iOS 5 slowed it down to a crawl and I saw the competition match and then surpass it.

I complain about Apple stuff because that's what I have and use. Android has a world of problems too, but different problems to iOS. Android has far superior hardware, and a generally better and more modern OS, but it's app selection is poorer, there's no equivalent for iTunes Match (Google Music is US only), there are no Android/Googe stores so no genius bar or equivalent, the choice of handsets means the eco system is a fragmented mess, the Google Play store has no TV shows or music (outside the US), Google TV is even worse than Apple TV, and Google's desktop strategy (Chrome OS) is a total joke.

So I'm no Android fanboy, far from it, I just want Apple to catch up in the areas where they've fallen behind.  I'm not a fanboy of anything, I have a Windows 7 PC, a Macbook, an Xbox, a PS3, a Roku, and a load of other Apple kit.

Huh? I have a 3GS and iOS 5 runs fine, certainly much, much faster than iOS 3.x on my previous iPhone. If it runs this well on a 3GS, I see no way it's slow on the higher-powered iPhone 4.

As for the competition, Android is dreadful. I didn't realize how bad it was till I helped a friend figure out how to use his new Samsung phone. The fonts are jarring, the UI inconsistent. It's not slow, but it feels stuttery, not smooth, and few apps are any good (though I concede there is plenty of junk in the App store).

Android is based on Java while iOS is based on Objective-C. Objective-C is closer to the metal and is simply a better, more performant development environment for mobile device development. The notion that Android is "modern" is ridiculous. Java is nearly as old as Objective-C.

Android's big thing are the big screens. I don't think they are a good idea, especially beyond 4", but the truth is that quite a few people do like size even beyond practicality. Probably a reflection of size issues elsewhere...

• Reply 98 of 132

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

what - mr global moderator?

I love that you think this has to do with anything. Keep 'em coming.

Quote:

who said anything about replaceable parts- fact most people use a case with their iPhone - available in many colors.

Indeed they do, but we're also talking about manufactured colors. The Dell situation is a stopgap between the two.

Glad you love it - "keep em coming" why has there already been more than one?

and if global moderator didn;t have to do with anything, why is it bold underneath your avatar?

My simple point, was that if you want your phone in all sorts of colors, buy a case - there are beneficial side effects of doing so - 

• Reply 99 of 132
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Yeah, because it's not like Apple ever pays any attention to hardware, right? It's not like they're universally regarded as having the best desktops, laptops, ultrabooks, tablets, and phones in the industry or anything. 

• Reply 100 of 132
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    A 747 will hold about 6-700k iPhones assuming minimal extra crate packaging. That is about two days production. As far as I know, they are actually shipped in MD-11's and 777's though.

A pilot for a cargo company could conceivably know that there will be extra freighter flight starting within two months from HKG or CAN, as these resources need to be allocated well in advance. Likewise, if there are multiple charter freight flights out of those airports starting in August and ending in October, one could reasonably make assumptions...