Rumor: Next-gen iPhone now in production, possible design change in tow

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 132
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As for your opinions on design? Who cares what you think? It would be pretty hard to argue that your expertise (whatever it might be) is better than Apple's experience.

The Skeumorphic Design is pretty ugly, in my opinion too. As to "who cares what you think"... Then who cares what YOU think? He's as entitled to his opinion, and expressing it, as you are. Liberty of expression is not restricted to jragosta only, you know.

Besides, you're (I believe, on purpose, but you might be honestly mistaken) confusing two very different things under the same "design" word:

- aesthetics, which are dependent on the observer (as well as his cultural environment)

- usability, in which Apple's experience does play a tremendous role

Critics, among which I am, of the skeumorphic designs, obviously distate their aesthetics chiefly. Your ad-hominem argument on his personal expertise doesn't stand.

• Reply 122 of 132
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

I hope all those leaks are false, otherwise i would be disappointed. They all look ugly...

• Reply 123 of 132

phew, alas, good news, i was scared for a while when i saw the old prototype, because that one was plain ugly in comparison...

I hope that they bring back the feel of the 3G/S with the black front and white back, because that was just brilliantly beautiful! Miss it...

• Reply 124 of 132
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    The Skeumorphic Design is pretty ugly, in my opinion too. As to "who cares what you think"... Then who cares what YOU think? He's as entitled to his opinion, and expressing it, as you are. Liberty of expression is not restricted to jragosta only, you know.

Besides, you're (I believe, on purpose, but you might be honestly mistaken) confusing two very different things under the same "design" word:
    - aesthetics, which are dependent on the observer (as well as his cultural environment)
    - usability, in which Apple's experience does play a tremendous role

Critics, among which I am, of the skeumorphic designs, obviously distate their aesthetics chiefly. Your ad-hominem argument on his personal expertise doesn't stand.

He's calling everyone a troll when he's the one, unable to stand a debate without insulting.
    Truly the "who cares what you think" on a forum is just ridiculous, it defeats the whole point of a forum lol

I like the skeuomorphic design, but it's not something I couldn't live without. And many people in the tech world don't like it.
  • Reply 125 of 132
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I'm basing my opinion on the shots of the inside of the back piece, where you can clearly see (IMO of course) that there are many rivet-looking attachment points, a different colour and type of material, and a clear demarkation line between the areas/parts.  

The "rivet" attachment points might be screw-down bosses to mount parts inside. Such features are found on the inside of the 4 and 4S iPhones too, to screw down the several circuits and devices found in those products.

A different color can easily be attributed to a different finish. Polished, machined and diffuse surface finishes can easily be made in the same material, and it can make a big difference in apparent color.

Please note that I'm not saying you're wrong on your opinion that it is two materials, it may well be true. I just don't think it's clear cut given the few images available.
  • Reply 126 of 132
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    randel77 wrote: »
    The only reason android has a bigger market share is because people choose to buy them.

That's about as far as you can get from the only reason.
  • Reply 127 of 132
    randel77 wrote: »
    The only reason android has a bigger market share is because people choose to buy them.
    That's right - all the people who are choosing to buy cheap phones get an Android.

Your implication people buy them because of the OS is wrong - most average consumers have no idea there are multiple OS's for phones. They bought their phone because it fit their budget.
  • Reply 128 of 132
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This just shows that you swallowed the marketing hook, line and sinker.  

Any advertiser would be delighted to find out that you have internalised their buzzwords and PoV in this way.  Ask yourself why you said "modern screen size" and what it actually means as a term.  Why is a larger screen, a more "modern" screen?  It's an advertising term.  It translates to "the latest screen size (trend)" which translates to "what we are selling you this year."  

More proof that people actually want what they are told to want, (regardless of our desire to see ourselves as intelligent, independent, decision-making individual).   

Oh pish posh. A modern TV has a screen size of 40-50". 20 years ago that would have been more like 20-26". Standards change and what is perceived as moden or up to date changes too. All high end android phones now have large screens, and if there wasn't a demand for them they wouldn't sell and so would no longer be made.
  • Reply 129 of 132

I agree, a "two-tone" back would be ugly... especially to aesthetically inclined Apple customers. It's a shame that they couldn't come up with another solution, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what the final product looks like. I'm still hoping for a solid, single piece back plate. 

• Reply 130 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

That's right - all the people who are choosing to buy cheap phones get an Android.

I thought that lots of the people who are choosing to buy a cheap phone get the iPhone?  The 3GS couldn't be any cheaper, and the 4 is a bargain phone as well.  Both of them are selling in huge numbers, so it seem accurate to say that lots of the people who are choosing to buy a cheap phone get the iPhone.

• Reply 131 of 132
    The fact that other smart phones are offering larger screen is big.
    I tested a Galaxy 2 because of the screen. I figured the return policy was decent enough that I'd return it if I didn't like the phone. I really wanted to see what was on the other side of the fence after having an iPhone for three years or so.
    In short, the G2 is now my phone. Screen size is great and the ability to customize the phone is sweet. There are so many things that I keep wondering why Apple doesn't offer that. Well, I really don't care anymore what Apple offers.
  • Reply 132 of 132
    The fact that other smart phones are offering larger screen is big.
    I tested a Galaxy 2 because of the screen. I figured the return policy was decent enough that I'd return it if I didn't like the phone. I really wanted to see what was on the other side of the fence after having an iPhone for three years or so.
    In short, the G2 is now my phone. Screen size is great and the ability to customize the phone is sweet. There are so many things that I keep wondering why Apple doesn't offer that. Well, I really don't care anymore what Apple offers.

First off, when I read this post it sounded familiar, so I checked your posting history. It appears you have told us this same general story about your new phone about six times already. I don't have Alzheimer's and am able to remember a few things, please tell me something new.

Second, if you "really don't care anymore what Apple offers", then why are you here?