Apple rumored to provide adaptor for smaller iPhone dock connector

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With a new, smaller dock connector expected to debut with Apple's next-generation iPhone, a new report claims Apple will provide customers with an adaptor to allow compatibility with a plethora of existing devices that currently connect to the iPhone's 30-pin dock connector.

The 19-pin to 30-pin dock connector adaptor will be available when the next iPhone launches according to an anonymous source who spoke with iMore. It is unknown whether the next iPhone will ship with such an adaptor in the box, or if it will be available for purchase separately.

The same site was first to report back in February that Apple was planning to replace the 30-pin dock connector found in its iPhone, iPad and iPod lineups. The new, smaller successor is expected to make its debut with Apple's sixth-generation iPhone later this year.

Earlier Monday, Reuters reaffirmed that the smaller dock connector will be a 19-pin design that will "make room for the earphone moving to the bottom." Those claims also lend credibility to leaked third-party cases that show a taller iPhone design with a smaller dock connector on the bottom.

Purported iPhone leak

The initial report included speculation that Apple would attempt to placate current iPhone customers with an adaptor so that legacy devices will retain compatibility. However, sources who spoke of the switch to a smaller port did not provide any indication about availability of an adaptor.

Last month with its revamped MacBook Airs and next-generation MacBook Pro, Apple introduced a new, smaller MagSafe 2 port. The company aided in the transition to the smaller port with a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 converter that it sells for $9.99, but is not included with the notebooks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    If true, I would guess it would be available separately for a joyous price of $29.99.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

and it will not allow for the same level of functionality 19 pins can not do what 30 pin can do. I suspect one of the things not support is video through the connector,

• Reply 3 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If true, I would guess it would be available separately for a joyous price of $29.99.

That would yield more profits for Apple and more profits for its partners who make accessories.   If so, it seems to be the right strategy.

• Reply 4 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

and it will not allow for the same level of functionality 19 pins can not do what 30 pin can do. I suspect one of the things not support is video through the connector,

Many of the 30 pins are unused.  At least 3 of them were for analog audio out, which can now be handled by the proximally located headphone jack.  And  some pins were used for obsolete tech like firewire.

• Reply 5 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Air to continue being mostly nitrogen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I suspect one of the things not support is video through the connector,

Why?

• Reply 6 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    maestro64 wrote: »

I'd think that supporting video out would be a requirement. How many pins can they lose by ejecting FireWire from the design?

edit: It looks like 7 might have been used just for FW, several are unused at the time of that chart, and others look to be obsolete like the iPod Photo-only pins.

• Reply 7 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

That would yield more profits for Apple and more profits for its partners who make accessories.   If so, it seems to be the right strategy.

Jesus, there are people on here ready to pounce in defense of even the SLIGHTEST hint of any notion that something Apple does isn't absolutely fantastic. YOU MAKE US SANE APPLE FANS LOOK BAD.

• Reply 8 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Jesus, there are people on here ready to pounce in defense of even the SLIGHTEST hint of any notion that something Apple does isn't absolutely fantastic. YOU MAKE US SANE APPLE FANS LOOK BAD.

It's a troll account. Ignore it.

• Reply 9 of 35
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Things change and progress folks. Move on.

I personally will probably find it annoying that all of the chargers plugged in around the house for convenience will have to have an adaptor sitting next to them, since we will have a mix of devices for at least the near future.

The dock connector is dead. Long live the dock connector.

• Reply 10 of 35
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    THIS is news!? Seriously?

If Apple does reduce the size of the dock connector, OF COURSE they will offer an adapter. They LOVE dongles ... And they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't because no third party is going to be ready with one ... And while man won't care about the incompatibility and buy the next iPhone anyway, many will
    Put the upgrade on hold until someone offers an adapter.

But to devote an entire article to this topic alone is ridiculous ...

Must be a slow news day ...
  • Reply 11 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

THIS is news!? Seriously?

If Apple does reduce the size of the dock connector, OF COURSE they will offer an adapter. They LOVE dongles ... And they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't because no third party is going to be ready with one ... And while man won't care about the incompatibility and buy the next iPhone anyway, many will

Put the upgrade on hold until someone offers an adapter.

But to devote an entire article to this topic alone is ridiculous ...

Must be a slow news day ...

I imagine some people might have been assuming that a new dock connector meant a massive incompatibility problem.

• Reply 12 of 35
    I imagine some people might have been assuming that a new dock connector meant a massive incompatibility problem.

They have, with some even going to the extreme of suggesting Apple is doing it to force users to buy all new accessories.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    How many folks will this really affect out of the whole. Perhaps a quarter? The ideal solution is for the 3rd party companies to adapt and they likely will. Until they get their stuff together this adapter will fill in the gap for most. That is if there is a change. It's still a rumor at this point
  • Reply 14 of 35
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I'm guessing you haven't read the other 150 articles on this connector that have been written in the last two months or so.  The pins being deprecated are not actually being used anymore.  All functions will remain the same but on 19 pins instead of 30.  

• Reply 15 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm guessing you haven't read the other 150 articles on this connector that have been written in the last two months or so.  The pins being deprecated are not actually being used anymore.  All functions will remain the same but on 19 pins instead of 30.  

can you deprecate pins? sure they're obsolete, so no longer required.

• Reply 16 of 35
    parksgmparksgm Posts: 60member

Although at first I thought it counterintuitive to remove unused pins (what if you need more than 19 pins in a future device? change the connector again?), but looking at the amount of space the connector takes up on the bottom of my iPhone, it IS pretty wide and relatively "tall" or thick compared with the rest of the phone. In fact, I imagine that it and the camera module are significant factors in dictating thickness.

If Apple is yet again attempting to slim down the device, a few millimeters in thickness could certainly be shaved by reducing the thickness/size of the connector.

• Reply 17 of 35
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

Although at first I thought it counterintuitive to remove unused pins (what if you need more than 19 pins in a future device? change the connector again?), but looking at the amount of space the connector takes up on the bottom of my iPhone, it IS pretty wide and relatively "tall" or thick compared with the rest of the phone. In fact, I imagine that it and the camera module are significant factors in dictating thickness.

If Apple is yet again attempting to slim down the device, a few millimeters in thickness could certainly be shaved by reducing the thickness/size of the connector.

the device thickness not in question... it's the connector question.  The connector pinouts are old (like iPod Firewire connector era old).  This is like moving from SCSI to USB.

I'm sure engineering wise, moving the headset to the bottom (one thought antenna and/or better battery packaging), building a bigger set of speakers, a better lower mic, are important.  

And part of this is that it's 'time' for a new generation (iPhone 2G, 3g/3gs, 4/4s, ??)... and maybe this is something that will differentiate it, as some people want something that is visual to show they are using the newest and greatest... Stupid reason, but if it sells a couple million, maybe a good one).

Time will tell.  I can't see why moving the headphones to the bottom makes the user experience better (I like to dock and earbud in bed)... will that work now?

Any adapter will be $19.99 or less.  

• Reply 18 of 35
    the device thickness not in question... it's the connector question.  The connector pinouts are old (like iPod Firewire connector era old).  This is like moving from SCSI to USB.

I'm sure engineering wise, moving the headset to the bottom (one thought antenna and/or better battery packaging), building a bigger set of speakers, a better lower mic, are important.  

And part of this is that it's 'time' for a new generation (iPhone 2G, 3g/3gs, 4/4s, ??)... and maybe this is something that will differentiate it, as some people want something that is visual to show they are using the newest and greatest... Stupid reason, but if it sells a couple million, maybe a good one).

Time will tell.  I can't see why moving the headphones to the bottom makes the user experience better (I like to dock and earbud in bed)... will that work now?

Any adapter will be $19.99 or less.  

1) I'll be happy not to have my headphone cable getting in the way of my display or camera.

2) The new MagSafe adapter is only $10. Since it's just a pin-to-pin and there are considerably more iDevices on the market I can see it being even cheaper. However, if they go with their previous solution for dock connector inserts for different devices it also could be relatively expensive. I sure hope they don't go with the latter, at least not as the sole solution.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Air to continue being mostly nitrogen.

Thank you for that confirmation.  I was getting worried.

• Reply 20 of 35
    phionphion Posts: 6member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I'll be happy not to have my headphone cable getting in the way of my display or camera.

^ This

I'm a big fan of being able to video chat or watch movies without having to pin the cord behind it.