Apple launches OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on Mac App Store for $19.99

Comments

• Reply 61 of 182
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    SO does it have the Touch Of Steve or not?

Still doing my bl**dy tax return. Good thing I have a beer by my side.
  • Reply 62 of 182
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post

12A269 

Then the Retail is the same as the GM anyway. 

Thank you.

(The GM and Retail Build Numbers were different for Lion.)

• Reply 63 of 182
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But they did do that.

Not at my Apple store.  Sometimes I think they should reconsider that "Genius" title.

• Reply 64 of 182
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

You are unbelievably lucky, considering that several releases since then were known to cause data loss.

10.8 does seem to be ok, other than failing to fix two critical bugs from 10.7 - PowerPC apps are still broken, and the arrows at the end of the scroll bars are still missing.  Those are real showstoppers as far as many of my customers are concerned, since they're more concerned with actually being able to work than with the new eye candy.

Yes. I remember reading about those data loss issues at the time.

• Reply 65 of 182

Apparently, the premature go-live of the up-to-date program has caused several people in the Apple discussion forums (myself included) to get the notice that the redeem codes they were sent have already been used.

So now, I have to wait 24-48 hours to get a new redeem code. :(

Apple is already aware of the issue, and anyone who gets this error does not need to contact Apple - they'll just send out new redeem codes automatically.

• Reply 66 of 182
    asmodaiasmodai Posts: 21member

It's snappy!!!

LOL

/s

• Reply 67 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

People, do we really need 100 posts about your difficulties downloading this because Apple's servers are getting hammered??

Just chill. If it doesn't work, wait a few hours. Or a day. 

True enough... but on the other hand it is nice when you're having an issue like this to check into twitter or AI or whatever and confirm that it's not just you... in which case there's nothing wrong... you just have to wait till the frenzy calms down.

• Reply 68 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Apple removed the Rosetta environment (to run PPC Applications) in Snow Leopard three years ago in 2009. Maybe consider upgrading your applications to universal binaries or intel.

If you want scroll bars in Lion or Mountain Lion, go to systems preferences and set the scrolls bars to always show. System Preferences > General. 

Rocket science it is not. :-D

So glad VAT is already added in the UK - by law, if I'm not mistaken.

To be fair... you can make the scroll bars always show... true... but the arrows have been gone since Lion I think.

• Reply 69 of 182
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post

It's snappy!!!

LOL

/s

Sign of the times:

Safari App Store checkout feels snappier!

• Reply 70 of 182

Is there any way to view the download progress other than in LaunchPad?  

• Reply 71 of 182
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post

Is there any way to view the download progress other than in LaunchPad?  

In the Mac App Store, where you've always been able to.

Or here:

• Reply 72 of 182
    asmodai wrote: »
    It's snappy!!!

LOL

/s

Moar info plz
  • Reply 73 of 182

Everything seems to be working fine, it nicely synched everything with iCloud ( which I had not set up before on that machine ), Notes, Reminders Safari Bookmarks, etc... I have not tested the newer stuff yet, as I am now late for work ;-)

BTW, for someone who asked, Outlook 11 ( 14.2.3 ) functions normally ( I would say great, but were talking about a Microsoft product here )

• Reply 74 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Moar info plz

/s is sarcasm, EVERYTHING on my MBA is snappy.

I'll have a more definitive opinion after the other machines. I want especially to see if my 2008 8 core mac pro goes well.

I have a special interest in Safari 6, as I'm working on some heavy duty HTML5/Canvas and animation stuff.

• Reply 75 of 182
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayzen View Post

Error 404 when I tried to get my free copy. :(

Happens every time they launch a new OS, iOS or major software. Tons of folks want it right now and they jack up the connections. 

Try again after lunch and you can likely get the code. Just know that it might be tomorrow before you can get the software (same reasons). But it will happen. Consider this time to do a final backup of your system pre upgrade just in case you don't like something. Myself I'm cloning my lion set up to another drive for each of my machines (I have 3) and even keeping some parts of them in parallels just in case something goes wrong like some company forgetting to mention their software isn't ready to work with Mountain Lion. 

• Reply 76 of 182
    asmodai wrote: »
    /s is sarcasm, EVERYTHING on my MBA is snappy.

I'll have a more definitive opinion after the other machines. I want especially to see if my 2008 8 core mac pro goes well.

I have a special interest in Safari 6, as I'm working on some heavy duty HTML5/Canvas and animation stuff.

Cool... Does anyone using a non-Apple SSD notice any beachballing? I get it occasionally in 10.7 and may still apply the Lion Trim hack which works in Mountain Lion GM, apparently.
  • Reply 77 of 182
    karskkarsk Posts: 3member

Quote:

Originally Posted by moustache View Post

Crap my redeem code has already been used. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Same here. *groan* Waiting to hear from Support.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 78 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by pa33 View Post

Anybody else getting an error message saying that their upgrade code isn't recognized or valid?

Most likely just a server error. It happens. If it is still doing it in a weeks time, contact Apple with all the info and they will issue you a new code. Just make sure you have your receipt info handy cause they will need it. Push the confirmation numbers from when you ordered your code. 

• Reply 79 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Cool... Does anyone using a non-Apple SSD notice any beachballing? I get it occasionally in 10.7 and may still apply the Lion Trim hack which works in Mountain Lion GM, apparently.

No, standard SSD, I've only put non-apple HW in the Mac Pro ( 64G of RAM from OWC, new SATA card and SSD )

The MBA is my wife's machine, it's too light for my day-to-day work ( Eclipse, PostgreSQL, Tomcat, Photoshop, Grid Computing Servers, etc )

And perhaps I'm lucky, but I haven't seen a beach ball in AGES.

• Reply 80 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

You are unbelievably lucky, considering that several releases since then were known to cause data loss.

The only way that a release of any kind causes data loss is if you aren't doing proper backups before you do the upgrade. Sure the upgrade might corrupt and some of your onboard data gets jumbled up, but your backup exists to handle that by restoring your data -- thus no 'loss'. 

And if you aren't doing backups that isn't Apple's fault. 

As your attempt at being cute with that PowerPC comment, get over it. That is old architecture that is no longer supported. The issue isn't the OS, it's the companies that are too lazy to update their software. They have had warnings for years and mega warnings since the first Lion developer preview over a year ago. That they aren't going to bother with continuing to update their software isn't Apple's fault. So go gripe at the proper folks. 

And if your customers are that bothered by those arrows being gone they can either start using Windows, stick with 10.6.8 and not have iCloud etc or simply get over it.