Samsung smartphone shipments estimated at 52M, doubling Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 204
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

The S3 is a great phone (weaker iOS, but still great phone).

I am confused as to what is great about it. It is made out of cheap plastics.

• Reply 122 of 204
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    tbell wrote: »

The 3GS is still a smart phone. It can do 90 percent or more of what the other models can do. It should be included int he numbers.

You may need to go back and read what they wrote, they said Apple sold 27m premium phones, the iPhone 3GS is not a premium phone, is it is budget phone. It is in the same class as the cheap Android phones people go on about
  • Reply 123 of 204
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

3.  Competition is good for all as it will force Apple to keep innovating.

Competition is good only if the competition is also innovating.

• Reply 124 of 204
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The iPhone 3GS is not a premium phone, yet you seem to be including the sales of it in your numbers

• Reply 125 of 204
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you don't think there's a problem with giving a product a name that has nothing to do with the product? You'd be fine with Apple releasing a purple laptop and calling it the "WinScribe Blue"?

Touch it twice.

Ahhh...there you go! Good boy! You just bought a iPhone 4S...we knew you could do it! Don't you just love Siri? That is the lastest iPhone be released...so onto iPhone 5 :-)

• Reply 126 of 204

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Ahhh...there you go! Good boy! You just bought a iPhone 4S...we knew you could do it! Don't you just love Siri? That is the lastest iPhone be released...so onto iPhone 5 :-)

It's pathetic to see that when proven wrong you still think you were right in any capacity, even going so far as pretend I'm a toddler despite not knowing how grammar works.

How many iPhones have come out since 2007? Please say six.

• Reply 127 of 204
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Europe and Asia? The Samsung Galaxy SIII is incredibly popular in the UK.

The amount of butthurt in this thread is hilarious. Go check Samsung's quarterly reports - they're making a lot of money at the moment. It's pretty obvious that they're not stuffing the channel.

Check the some of other Samsung phones, the ones outselling the GS III by over 4 to 1.

Starting at forty quid

This one's a beauty, what a powerhouse

• Reply 128 of 204
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

No, Sherlock. If they are merely "shipping" and not "selling", there would be no profit at all.  Samsung's balance sheet would look more like LG's (or Sony's for that matter). 

Of Samsung Electronics' four main divisions, only semiconductor and mobile divisions are making 10+% profit. 

Apple 8.8 Billion

Samsung 5.9 Billion

So shipped = sold for Samsung.

RIM on the other hand had to take a lost for products like the playbook.

• Reply 129 of 204
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Exactly. Apple sold 27 M premium phones. Samsung sold 52 M phones of all types - everything from high end phones to midrange phones to idiot phones and even feature phones.

Apparently you can't even get past the second word in the title of the article without getting confused. The article clearly states that these numbers are for the 'smartphone' market...not ALL phones.

• Reply 130 of 204
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

It's pathetic to see that when proven wrong you still think you were right in any capacity, even going so far as pretend I'm a toddler despite not knowing how grammar works.

How many iPhones have come out since 2007? Please say six.

lol......so what was the latest iPhone called? Surely it was the iPhone 6???? Oh wait no it is called the iPhone 4S!!!! So what naming scheme has Apple followed you ask? Well let me explain that to you...so far they have followed iPhone 3G, then iPhone 3Gs, then iPhone 4...then the latest one is the iPhone 4S with Siri...you know the one you just bought in the picture. So nowhere do you see any kind of naming scheme based on the generation or iteration of the phone.....But Apple could very well just call the next iPhone just "iPhone" kind of like they have done with the iPad.

• Reply 131 of 204
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

What did you fix for anybody?

Apple reports the sale at the time of shipment, ie they have sold it to a subsidy, an end customer, or a distributor. In reality, how is this different to the others?

If you don't understand the basics of revenue recognition -- and the seriousness that it entails by way of penalties for misrepresentation -- and the difference between that and the weasel-y notion of some consultant-generated "shipments" number, I am not even going to try to start. There is no law that says that you can't wallow in ignorance.

I will give you a hint though, if you're truly interested in learning: you want to combine the audited sales data with the "channel inventory" number that Apple always reports (or brings up in its conf call with analysts) to get at how many are actually in consumers' hands.

• Reply 132 of 204
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Can you please post a reference from Apple specifing the number of iPhones sold per model? The iPhone 3GS is not a premium phone, yet you seem to be including the sales of it in your numbers

I can tell you exactly what average price each of the 26.03M iPhones was sold at. It's a pretty impressive number: $624 per handset (p. 26 of 10Q filed with SEC from Tuesday).

I can assure you that if 3GSs were being given away and in large numbers (as you imply), the 4 and 4S must be selling for some astounding average price! But I am quite content with $624 per handset.

• Reply 133 of 204

Originally Posted by geek dad View Post

So nowhere do you see any kind of naming scheme based on the generation or iteration of the phone...

Except where you just said so, yeah.

…then iPhone 4…

...But Apple could very well just call the next iPhone just "iPhone" kind of like they have done with the iPad

And that option, at least, makes more sense than "none percent".

• Reply 134 of 204
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

BTW AI, have you thought about doing some investigative journalism on these fantastical claims by Samsung/Google?  I work at a major airport in Florida and when running a simple network scan on the free Wi-Fi service, it invariably shows about 90% connections from Apple devices vice anything else.  Where are all these Android phones hiding?

We did the same thing on my summer trip to disney resorts.  About 80% of the devices connected to the wifi were apple devices (including laptops/tablets/phones, ...). But remember most of the Android devices are being sold outside north america. Apple does have a good ratio in the US.

I did saw android devices "in the wild". On my floor at work, 40% of the staff is carrying Samsung phones and the other 40% are iphones. 20% are something else.

The iOS app to scan public networks is FING. I think its free, so enjoy.

• Reply 135 of 204
    sipsip Posts: 210member

Samsung is very popular in "third-world countries", where they are sold at ridiculous prices, nowhere near what they sell for in the "developed countries". Samsung probably has to sell 2 or 3 phones for every iPhone sold (when these are available -- a lot of African countries for example, don't have iPhone stores) because the plastic-crap that Samsung makes are not very durable and don't last very long, so replacements/upgrades are common place.

A lot of posters have already pointed out that Apple sells, everyone else ships...

• Reply 136 of 204
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new estimate pegs Samsung's smartphone shipments for the second quarter of calendar 2012 at 52.1 million, which would be twice the 26 million iPhones Apple sold during the same period.

Apple announced in its quarterly earnings report on Tuesday that it sold 26 million iPhones in the June quarter, representing 28 percent unit growth year over year. Investors expected Apple would have sold closer to 28 million iPhones during the quarter, and viewed the result as a disappointment.

While Samsung is estimated to have taken the lead in smartphone shipments, Apple still remains undisputed in terms of profitability. In the June quarter, Apple saw its third-quarter profits reach $8.8 billion, driven largely by the iPhone, while Samsung saw company-wide profits of $5.9 billion during the same period.

Samsung gives away a phone with everyone sold.  BOGO.  Or they are free.  Yea, Market share means mostly nothing.  Nokia still ships more phones than samsung but they lost a BILLION dollars last year. 

Apple makes more profit from Smart phone sales than the rest of the market combined.   Profit, that thing that pays for R+D, etc. 

Just a thought here but Market share only means anything if everyone is selling the same oranges.  But I will give you that Samsung is slowly trying to make better phones.  

• Reply 137 of 204

Originally Posted by sip View Post

A lot of posters have already pointed out that Apple sells, everyone else ships...

But… but 'real artists ship'! So Apple sucks!

• Reply 138 of 204
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

But… but 'real artists ship'! So Apple sucks!

QFT

• Reply 139 of 204

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I can tell you exactly what average price each of the 26.03M iPhones was sold at. It's a pretty impressive number: $624 per handset (p. 26 of 10Q filed with SEC from Tuesday).

I can assure you that if 3GSs were being given away and in large numbers (as you imply), the 4 and 4S must be selling for some astounding average price! But I am quite content with $624 per handset.

You are overstating the average handset price. The 10Q clearly lists 'iPhone revenue' as the following:

• Includes revenue from sales of iPhone, iPhone services, and Apple-branded and third-party iPhone accessories.

• Includes amortization of related revenue deferred for non-software services and embedded software upgrade rights.

It is $624 on average per handset when factoring in ALL of these other items, not just the handset.

• Reply 140 of 204

Quote:

Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

Apple makes more profit from Smart phone sales than the rest of the market combined.   Profit, that thing that pays for R+D, etc.the lawyers.

There, I fixed that for you. Apple has always been on the lower end for R&D spending compared to others.